View Full Version : Midwest AK Rail & Primary Arms Micro Dot Review

June 10, 2012, 01:54 PM

There are a ton of options in mounting a red dot on your AK: side rail mount, a mount that replaces the rear sight, Ultimak, Dog Leg, and the Midwest Industries handguard with optic specific mount that I have on my WASR here.

I've had this mount for about a year and overall find it tough to beat for the money. The rail and optic can be purchased from Primary Arms for around $179 and that combo has served me well. Here's a quick summary:

Quick target acquisition
Lower 1/3 co-witness with iron sights
3 MOA dot,
Rail mounts to rifle very easily
Good battery life on the micro dot optic
Low price
Holds zero

Shooting corrosive ammo is annoying since you have to remove the tube and optic to to clean. Optic would need to be re-zero'd.
14oz weight makes the rifle slightly front heavy
Clamping the rail on the barrel distorts the barrel harmonics and opens up your groups slightly

All in all it's a great set up that performs well. Here's a video review of the combination so you can see it in action:

Review Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxQJ9nSU1Ws&feature=channel&list=UL)

June 11, 2012, 08:02 PM
Hey plouf, How many rounds thru the rifle w/ the optic on board, and how long have you had the set up?

June 12, 2012, 08:41 AM
I've had it for over a year and probably 900-1100 rounds through it. I tend to shoot my Arsenals more than my WASR lately but that goes back in forth...

June 13, 2012, 02:56 AM
got it