PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else ever have this happen?

Win73
June 3, 2012, 10:31 PM
I went to exchange the memory stick and put new batteries in one of my trail cameras and when I opened it up, it was full of ants! They were all over inside it. I think I got rid of all of them. I took one of those "bug bombs" and let it spray into the open and empty battery compartment. After letting it dry out for three days, I put the batteries and a memory stick back in and it still works.

zippy13
June 3, 2012, 11:38 PM
Anyone else ever have this happen?
Nope, perhaps you're onto something new -- did you once spill a Coke on your camera?

Hansam
June 4, 2012, 07:05 AM
Nope. However I did have the control module of my central air conditioning system invaded by hundreds of box elder bugs. I do mean hundreds too - to the point where they were all packed so tightly into the module housing that they caused a short in the module and rendered my a/c inoperative.

As Zippy said - did you spill a soda on or in your camera's case?

tchunter
June 4, 2012, 08:58 AM
I just had the same thing happen, did the same with ortho max but sprayed some around the base of the tree too. Seems to be working so far. The problem I can't get fixed is spiders making webs in and around one of my cameras.

FrontSight
June 4, 2012, 09:10 AM
Maybe attracted to the warmth from the electricity?

603Country
June 4, 2012, 10:07 AM
I had the ant problem once or maybe twice. Being not so sure that I should spray a bug spray into it, I just moved the camera (after getting all the ants out of it). And no, I hadn't spilled anything on the camera - as far as I know.

rickyrick
June 4, 2012, 11:06 AM
Some ants will build nests near iron. I'm sure there's some other minerals in the camera they seek.

Me thinks your camera ain't watertight lol

Win73
June 4, 2012, 08:32 PM
Nope, perhaps you're onto something new -- did you once spill a Coke on your camera?

Nope, never spilled anything on or in it. It has been hanging on a tree for a year or more. The bug bomb seems to have worked. After I sprayed it I left it laying out on my driveway overnight with the front cover and the battery compartment cover open. Then after checking it several times a day for three days I couldn't find any more ants or sign of them.

bigalshootmupper
June 4, 2012, 09:04 PM
I've had my camera in the woods for 3+ years, no ants. I have had about 50 baby ticks, all in a clump, on my camera when I was removing it from a tree. I didn't know what it was. I touched around it and all 50 ticks ran all over the place. Since I didn't want Lyme disease, I dropped the camera on the ground and ran.

Cool Breeze
June 5, 2012, 02:46 PM
Sheesh!......never had ants or ticks yet. sounds like you planted your camera near a nest and they were checking it out...........

YO