PDA

View Full Version : 300 Blackout Mini 14

Montoya
April 27, 2012, 07:01 PM
Does anybody know of a Mini 14 chambered in the 300 Blackout?
I have been looking and found nothing on one being successfully converted to shoot that round. SO i challenged a buddy of mine to make one, and today he called me and said that it has been done. He has successfully made and test fired a fully functional mini 14 chambered in the 300 Blackout. i will post the pics as soon as i get them.

FrosSsT
April 27, 2012, 08:17 PM
Why would you want one chambered in 300 blackout when there are plenty of mini 30's out there. Does it really pay off putting in all that money and time into something that already comes stock in a similar cartridge?

JoshC243
April 27, 2012, 08:45 PM
wouldn't you like to have something that not one else has?

THE RAVEN
April 27, 2012, 11:03 PM
There's no logistical,cost effective reason to convert a Mini 14 to a 300 ACC....A Mini 30 is a 7.63x39 anyway....:rolleyes:

Bamashooter
April 27, 2012, 11:30 PM
Im not a big fan of the 7.62x39 but it seems like thats all the 300blackout is. Just an american version. If I wanted a 7.62 caliber semi auto it would be a .308win that way at least I could get decent velocities. I just dont get why this blackout is so popular. I think its pointless.

THE RAVEN
April 27, 2012, 11:36 PM
The reason the Blackout 300 ACC was developed is because people wanted a round similar to a 7.62x39 that would meet similar performance and fit a standard AR 15 style platform and magazine without having to jump up to a AR 10 (.308) style lower receiver and magazine...

Montoya
April 28, 2012, 10:56 AM
The reason why i challenged him to build this is because, There are some AR uppers in this round but hardly no or none Mini 14's in it. It was more of an experiment than anything else. and yes the mini 30 is in a similar round, and we thought about using that barrel but to my understanding it is a hair bigger. just a fun project. :)

rickyrick
April 28, 2012, 01:58 PM
I don't here about minis converted to anything. The 6.8 didn't pan ou

BigMikey76
April 28, 2012, 03:21 PM
It does seem like a fairly pointless project - sort of reinventing the wheel.

That being said, when someone climbs a mountain, do we give them grief because it has already been climbed by someone else?

FrosSsT
April 29, 2012, 03:01 PM
wouldn't you like to have something that not one else has?

If you want to have something that nobody else has why would you buy a mini...

Adamantium
April 29, 2012, 06:24 PM
There are gunsmiths who do caliber conversions for Mini's, but the price is near insanity and I know of no one who does 300 blackout yet.

http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/ruger_mini_prices.php

And if you think having a Mini 14 in 300 blackout is fun, try trolling other peoples threads asking stupid questions and making pointless observations :rolleyes:.

TrailBlazinMan
April 30, 2012, 12:47 AM
Yes, I'm the guy doing the conversion. The Mini-14 converted to 300 AAC Blackout will be cost prohibitive unless you already have a Mini-14 sitting in the closet to convert. By the time you buy a gun and pay a smith to rebarrel it you might as well get an AR. As for me, I am about to graduate with a gunsmithing degree and it sounded like an interesting project- you know, one with lots of problems to overcome and weird machining set ups.

For the conversion I am using a 180 series Mini. The barrel is .560" in diameter- too small for a .30 caliber. The goal of the conversion is to make the rifle look stock, so I used the factory gas block and bored it out to .700". The Douglas barrel steps down to .750" for the op rod to clear (with minor modification) and then down to .700" at the gas block and forward. I have made several new gas port bushings and a little trial and error will help me decide which one to use.

The 300 Blackout idea has been around a long time- its basically the 300 Whisper wildcat. But since the 300 Whisper is a handloader's round based of the .221 Fireball without set standards, the folks over at AAC came up with solid dimensions based of the 5.56mm and got it SAAMI recognized. Versus a 7.62x29mm is very much a matter of preference. Prices for the Blackout are very reasonable- but don't expect to find any at the local Wal-Mart.