PDA

View Full Version : Bersa Thunder 22 problems-anyone fix one?

B.N.Real
April 26, 2012, 09:30 PM
I just bought a brand new Thunder 22 Bersa from Bud's and I just got a chance to take it to the range.

The ammo used was CCI mini mag copper plated round nose 40 grain bullet ammo.

The results reliability wise were not promising.

I had about a fifty percent failure rate-that is a malfunction that caused the gun to stop working.

I had failures to extract-failures to feed-you name it I pretty much got the buffet of what the heck now thrown at me today.

That said,when the gun worked right it was a very comfortable gun to shoot .

Also,after an intial pretty lousy accuracy showing,as the gun and I broke in together ,my groups shrunk considerably.

I even got,for me,a pretty good 25 yard grouping out of the little Bersa.

Have any of you had a Thunder 22 that you've had similar problems with and done the deed and fixed those problems and you still have the gun today?

If you have I'd like to know the steps you took to make the little Bersa reliable.

Because when this gun works it's a darn fun gun to shoot well.

And it's one of the easiest guns to break down to clean I ever owned.

By the way,before I took it to the range,I broke it down,thoroughly cleaned and greased it.

Even though I'm probably going to keep this gun,I'm now onto a possible LCR 22 purchase so we'll see if I can fix this little Bersa first.

I'm pretty burnt on 22 semi auto's and cheap used 22 revolvers.

Hansam
April 26, 2012, 09:39 PM
I'd contact Bersa with your troubles and see what they have to say. From my personal experience their CS is very good and they'll work to make things right for you.

That aside I'd say do the normal - check your magazines, check your feed ramp, check your extractor etc.

In the end I'd just call Bersa.

PSP
April 27, 2012, 06:22 AM
Most reports on the ammo the BT22 likes and functions well with included Mini Mags. My only suggestion would be to try another high velocity round first, before sending the gun away for a fix. Maybe try a box of stingers, just to see if it's a lack power to cycle problem. The BT22 likes to be lubed.

All .22s flub a feed or ejection from time to time, but in a good gun this should be pretty rare. The BT22 is usually thought of as a reliable pistol. The only problems of late have been some guns shipped with bad barrels, (too tight).

Good luck.

danez71
April 27, 2012, 08:25 AM
Mine had geen flawless with cci minimags and cci blazers but had all of those problems with Federal bulk pack.

You said:
I broke it down,thoroughly cleaned and greased it.

Greased or oiled?

If "greased" try recleaning and use oil.

Sparks1957
April 27, 2012, 08:32 AM
Sorry to hear about your troubles. My BT22 has been pretty reliable, though I get the occasional FtEject that every .22 semiauto pistol gets from time to time.

I use CCI Mini-mags almost exclusively, because they work best in my .22 pistols, but try some other "hot" ammo and see if that helps.

I run mine fairly wet, and use a light, low-viscosity grease (TWB-25). Sometimes a bit of a break-in period helps smooth things out.

If none of that helps, contact Bersa's customer service.

Hope to hear you've got it straightened out soon.

Francis Castiglione
April 27, 2012, 07:56 PM
Check the orientation of your recoil spring. The tapered end should be slid down the barrel toward the breech, and the wider end towards the front of the barrel. I purchased my thunder 22 from buds less than a year ago and have had flawless functioning with mini mags. Not the case with federal bulk, even the "high velocity" stuff. Outside of the spring issue I couldnt think of anything else than a horrible batch of ammo.

B.N.Real
April 27, 2012, 10:29 PM
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

The gun grease I used is Hoppes brand gun grease but I will clean the gun up and put Rem Oil in it's place.

I have other 22 LR ammo I can try and I'll try that too. as well as pumping another 500 or so rounds through it to get her to loosen up.

I checked the recoil spring after your tip just to make sure it was in right and it is-but thanks Francis for the tip anyway.

I'll make darn sure I keep it that way.

I will also take a cleaning kit to my next shooting trip so I can clean the gun out every fifty rounds or so until she gets reliable.

I love the feel of this gun ,the trigger is really sweet and the gun is a puppy dog recoil wise and it's pretty accurate too.

So we will see what we can do here.

Again,thanks for the replies.

PSP
April 27, 2012, 11:52 PM
I will also take a cleaning kit to my next shooting trip so I can clean the gun out every fifty rounds or so until she gets reliable.

IMHO, this would be a true waste of time. The gun could and should go thousands of rounds without cleaning as long as the gun is lubed. Good luck with the pistol.

KevininPa
April 28, 2012, 09:00 PM
....."Most reports on the ammo the BT22 likes and functions well with included Mini Mags. My only suggestion would be to try another high velocity round first, before sending the gun away for a fix. Maybe try a box of stingers, just to see if it's a lack power to cycle problem. The BT22 likes to be lubed."

I'd try a few more types of ammo first. Maybe the spring is still stiff as well. Mine went well from the get-go. I always use CCI Mini-Mags for range and Velocitors for "dog-walking" duty. Live in a nice safe rural area, don't really need anything bigger here at home.

B.N.Real
April 29, 2012, 05:56 PM
Well,that's it then.

I went to the range today after I surgically cleaned this gun again.

I took all the Hoppes gun grease out of the locations I put it in and cleaned and oiled everything else I could.

600 rounds later and the gun is working much better.

The function was better but alas,as is the practice with most rimfire semi auto's there were more misfeeds,failures to extract and eject and other malfunctions then I care to live with.

The gun is breaking in and it is way way better as long as those CCI mini mags with the copper played round noses are used.

But I am finding that my expectations for a reliable rimfire semi auto were simply not realistic.

I'll sell the gun to someone else who will undoubtedly fire just a few more hundred rounds through it,break it in fully and probably enjoy the heck out of it.

As for me,this finishes my association with semi auto rimfires.

If I want another rimfire handgun, it will be in revolver form and it will probably be a high quality new one at that.

Unfortunately,that cost factor puts a rimfire revolver right where many other centerfire handguns can be bought, that I will enjoy just as much or more.

We'll see what happens.

This Bersa Thunder 22 is very well made,I just think in rimfire,as others have said,if you want 100% function-you'll need to buy a high quality 22 rimfire revolver.

Sparks1957
April 29, 2012, 06:30 PM
Yes, .22 semiauto pistols definitely have their problems. Sorry it didn't work out better for you.

Mine has smoothed out rather nicely, but still has the occasional FTEject

bedbugbilly
April 29, 2012, 08:55 PM
Don't give up on 'er . . . try some other makes of ammo as well as variety of slug types. Yours could just be finicky with the CCI MM. I haven't shot the pistol that you have but I did have a Bersa CC 380. I was very impressed with the Bersa. I have thought about getting th Thunder 22.

To illustrate muy poit on the ammo - I recently picked up a Ruger MK III Target. The salesman told me I "HAD" to use plated ammo in it as it wouldn't function well with plain lead slugs. The first time I took it to the range, I ran 5 different types of ammo through it - makes and slug types. I had the best accuracy with some old Winchester plain round nosed slugs. Another fellow I know that has the same pistol isn't able to use that ammo in his due to the number of failures he has with that type of slug. Go figure!

I hope it works out for you - mane with some different ammo and a few hundred rounds through her she'll get better. Best of luck! :)