PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Snacks ??

Pahoo
March 28, 2012, 12:38 PM
Basically, I'm asking what kind of snacks do Y'all take when you go into the field, hunting? I'll start off this silly thing with one of my favorites. .... ;)

During the our winter deer hunts, I save a ham and pick a day, during the summer, to jerk it out and smoke it on my large Weber grill, using charcoal and hickory. Takes me most of the day to end up with a handful of venison jerky. During the bird following hunting season, I take a bag or two and work it like chewing tobacco. ..... :)

Be Safe !!!

BIG P
March 28, 2012, 01:10 PM
Well, I stay most all day in the woods so I carry a pretty nice goodie bag with me. Some would be summer sauage & crackers. Jerky,back strap cut in 2'' blocks,Can of peaches,apples,Oranges,Trail mix,peanuts, Even Donuts & coffee.

Being comfortable & snacks in the woods just makes it easy to enjoy My time in the woods.And much easer to stay all day.;):D

huntinaz
March 28, 2012, 01:21 PM
Jerky (elk), hard boiled eggs, pre-made burritos (usually elk) and Copenhagen. Candy bars if I remember to buy them, I'm generally not a candy person. Sometimes I have all 4 in a day! I'm out there to hunt, not eat.

Even Donuts & coffee

This is usually what I am dreaming about an hour after sunrise. I may have to re-think my food packing strategy for next year.

shortwave
March 28, 2012, 01:43 PM
Jerky is a must as well.

Mixed nuts, an apple or two(also makes for good cover scent) and usually carry a couple energy bars.

justin251
March 28, 2012, 01:53 PM
Whatever it is I try to only wrap it in a paper towel. It makes less noise than anything plastic even a Ziploc bag is noisy.

Also, if the wind picks it up or you drop it its biodegradable like the food.

Ambishot
March 28, 2012, 01:56 PM
Beef/venison jerky, trail mix. Anything that has a higher calorie amount. I tend to fade when hungry.

Saltydog235
March 28, 2012, 02:04 PM
Couple of bottles of water, a can of snuff and a stainless steel spit bottle.

Emuricah513
March 28, 2012, 02:23 PM
Couple of bottles of water, a can of snuff and a stainless steel spit bottle. You sir, are speaking my language :D

Pahoo
March 28, 2012, 03:07 PM
On some of routine trips to Wiscansin, I would usually pick up about three pound of a German link sausage, called Landjäger
Wound put a link in one of my shell loops, at the beginning of each bird hunting season and would take a bite till the last day, regardless of the weather. Needless to say, it would get pretty dry by then. Just blow off any dirt and weed dust and take another bight. ... ;)

By the way, you certainly are a SaltyDog ..... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

spclPatrolGroup
March 28, 2012, 03:18 PM
I chug a couple energy drinks and shove a couple zebra cakes or something down the gullet on way to the stand. I'm not a morning person as it is, I would rather get another 15 minutes of sleep than wake up 15 minutes earlier to crack a couple eggs.

Saltydog235
March 28, 2012, 03:40 PM
I eat three times a day. I eat a couple of energy bars on the way in with a cup of coffee, eat lunch on a break usually at home and dinner with my wife and kids. Eating stuff in the stand makes noise, gives off scent, attracts swamp bugs, and makes me have to drop a duece. I'd rather not have to get the swamp butt squirms in the stand.

Fishing on the big pond I do much the same thing, keeping my stomach about 1/2 full and drinking a lot of water. Keeps the seasickness away.

AllenJ
March 28, 2012, 05:13 PM
For a day in the back country I take a P.B. & J. sandwitch, some beef jerky, trail mix, power bars and a candy bar, along with a large canteen of water. I try and plan that if the unexpected happens and I have to spend a cold night out at least I won't be hungry or thursty!

Art Eatman
March 28, 2012, 05:29 PM
If I'm doing an all-day walking hunt, I'll take a canteen of water and maybe some trail mix. I mostly "water up" before I leave camp. I'm pretty much acclimated to physical activity in very-low humidity. Morning coffee, a pint of water, and I'm usually good for the day.

Rembrandt
March 28, 2012, 06:15 PM
Took my 5 year old grand son deer hunting, set up in a ground blind.....here's what happened:
5:30 am......We have breakfast, cereal, toast, milk before leaving the house.
6:30 am......arrive at ground blind
6:40 am......everything is set up and we're waiting for deer
6:50 am......"Grandpa, I'm thirsty". (out comes a juice box and straw)
7:00 am......"Grandpa, I'm hungry". (open up some cheese and crackers)
7:15 am......"Grandpa, can I have one of those Slim Jims?"
7:30 am......"Grandpa, can I open the Skittles?"
8:15 am......"Grandpa, I'm thirsty....I need another juice box".
8:30 am......"Grandpa, I think we should try some of Mom's cookies"
8:45 am......"Grandpa, I'm tired, can we go back to the house?

Jason_G
March 28, 2012, 07:12 PM
Took my 5 year old grand son deer hunting, set up in a ground blind.....here's what happened:

ROFL!! :D

I usually make coffee in the morning, and "get caffeinated" on the way to the woods. I just carry a bottle of water, a bag of David's pumpkin seeds, and sometimes some Levi Garrett or Redman. I usually try not to break out anything that has a strong odor, like jerky and such, but honestly, I know guys that smoke cigars and pipes in the stand, and they kill deer, so maybe the deer don't care about certain smells?

Jason

HALL,AUSTIN
March 28, 2012, 07:18 PM
I pack jerky (store bought, I dont know how to make jerky), 1 mountain dew, a large water, if its cold a thermos of soup, if its warm then its a sandwhich.

chewie146
March 28, 2012, 07:28 PM
I like to have some granola bars with protein. That and water is all that usually goes with me on day-hunts as far as food goes.

dlb0412
March 28, 2012, 07:29 PM
Big 100 protein bar turkey samiches roasted peanuts. I dont eat in my hunting area because of scent.

Jo6pak
March 28, 2012, 07:34 PM
Usually fruits (mainly apples, bananas)
Mixed nuts and granola bars.
Water canteen

And an MRE if I'm hunting all day.

Vermonter
March 28, 2012, 07:42 PM
I always take a day and a halts provisions. Nothing worse than spending a night with no coffee. Sometimes a small hunt turns big. I like energy bars, candy bars, and pop tarts. I can leave them in the pack a few days and no spoilage.

rickyrick
March 28, 2012, 07:59 PM
Pb&j has stick with you power. Poptarts are a must.

My job has me more isolation than hunting and has 15-20 minute intervals of intense physical activity. I start my day with a Pb&j samich on wheat and that can last me for 5-6 hours.

TheGoldenState
March 28, 2012, 08:14 PM

I'm developing an overall "picture" of you right now…:D:cool::eek:

jwrowland77
March 28, 2012, 08:28 PM
Normally I take with me a full hydration bladder of water during bow season, or a hydration bladder full of black coffee during the end of gun season, trail mix, deer jerky and at least a couple cans of snuff. I can do without most of he other stuff, as long as I have water, snuff and jerky.

Cluck Me
March 28, 2012, 08:28 PM
I take whatever I want, or sounds good. Must be why I'm a duck hunter:D

barstoolguru
March 28, 2012, 08:50 PM
slim jims and cashews

BIG P
March 29, 2012, 03:06 AM
I used to carry a bag of Gator nuggets when hog hunting but they gave Me gas & its hard to hunt when your laughen like a fool.

Thats funny right there & TRUE!!!:eek::D:D

Saltydog235
March 29, 2012, 06:21 AM
I'm developing an overall "picture" of you right now…

You'd probably be suprised how off you are too.

Doyle
March 29, 2012, 07:33 AM
Home-made jerky and trail mix. I've been wanting to convert some of my jerky into pemmican.

603Country
March 29, 2012, 10:40 AM
Wow, you guys have certainly opened my eyes. All these years all I've taken to the woods in the morning is coffee, and sometimes a banana. In the afternoons the most I'll ever have is water. Obviously I have to rethink my hunting preparations.:D

L_Killkenny
March 29, 2012, 11:56 AM
I've taken lots of diffrent things in the woods over the years. Jerky (venison or Jack Links) is always prime, so are slim jims. The small peanut butter and cheese crackers are good and walmart/sam's club trail mix comes in a wide varity for minimal cost. There's almost always a Mountain Dew in the daypack or coat pocket.

Anymore I don't eat much during the day even on work days. Sometimes my first meal of the day comes at 4 or 5 o'clock. So spending a day in the woods without food isn't much of a big deal and I rarely take munchies anymore.

On a side note I worked with a guy and we were both trappers. He had a partner at one time but it didn't work out. Everytime he turned around his partner had his fingers in the bait. Sardines. :D

LK

rickyrick
March 29, 2012, 01:07 PM
Going that long w/o eating is very bad for you killkenny.

I did that for years, without going into detail, its just bad. Just helping you out.

Pahoo
March 29, 2012, 01:38 PM
I've been wanting to convert some of my jerky into pemmican.
Whoa, haven't gone thar, for a long time. Use to make it a long time ago and it was mighty tasty. Packed it in an old snuff can and would pick it out, just like snuff. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

dayman
March 29, 2012, 01:44 PM
I bring licorice root to chew on, and maybe a couple power bars if I'm going to be out all day.

jmr40
March 29, 2012, 01:44 PM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/iss/oh.html

These are the best I've found. We buy them by the box to get discounts and use them for meal substitutes. They are loaded with protein and are very nutritious. Not just a candy bar. They are very tasty. Many of the protein/energy bars I've tried taste awful. Very often I use 1 bar to substitute for 1 meal a day.

okiewita40
March 31, 2012, 09:27 AM
I usually drink my coffee on the drive to the hunting area. In my pack is usually 4 to 6 20oz bottles of water, maybe a couple of peanut butter sandwiches, a sleeve of saltine crackers and a small bag of corn chips. Can always light the corn chips to start a fire in an emergency.

phil mcwilliam
March 31, 2012, 07:37 PM
I just got back from 7 nights camping in remote Alpine country in Australia, deer hunting & trout fishing. We woke at 5 every morning & once the fire was going we'd all have coffee & muesli bars for breakfast. In our packs we each carried a bottle of gatoraide a couple more muesli bars & a couple of chocolate bars that would last us stalking all day until we returned to camp around 3 every afternoon. We'd cut firewood for half an hour then put on the roast vegetables in the camp oven & BBQ some sirloin steaks washed down with a fine red wine & a couple of beers, ready for the next day.

shortwave
March 31, 2012, 08:50 PM
^^^I just got back from two nights driving through the Bronx/Harlem, NY area in a 53'er drinking Gatorade , eating pretzels and prayin my load didn't get hijacked....somethins not right with this picture.:rolleyes:

PawPaw
April 1, 2012, 07:55 AM
You guys are amateurs.

One buddy of mine, (he was about 20 years older than I, but we were great hunting buddies) always packed a nice lunch for the both of us to eat on the tailgate of the truck during the lunch hour. Generally, it was something like ribeye steak, sliced thin and served on a hard roll, with steamed asparagus warmed over a small campfire. A variety of sliced cheeses as palate-cleansers, along with either coffee or tea, depending on weather.

Nowadays when I'm hunting with the grandkids, I generally carry in my hunting sack a big bag of trail mix, along with beef jerky. Our lunch break is a variety of cold cuts with good bread and soda from the cooler. If we're going to the camp for lunch, then we'll generally make biscuits, grill sausage and chicken on the wood-burner and if we're lucky one of the ladies will make a white gravy. We can always count on Bobby to have a pot of beans on the fire. Sometimes I'll drag out the Dutch oven and make a beer bread (http://www.castbullet.com/cooking/beerb.htm) to go with the beans.

When you're hunting, there is no reason to eat like a starving hippy.

Pahoo
April 1, 2012, 09:52 AM
somethins not right with this picture
Well, come to Iowa as I just pulled a batch of of Spring-Bullheads, out of the smoker. These might keep the Ganstas away for a couple of days. The neighbors know when I smoke these as the smell lingers. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

HALL,AUSTIN
April 1, 2012, 11:32 AM
If its a multiple day escapade we are after I will have to ammend my rations. I hunt with one of my buddies and we usually hunt coyote, opossum, and other small pests. We pack a 6pack of ramen each, 1 gallon of water per day, whatever coldcuts are on sale at the grocery store, and a loaf of fresh baked bread from the bakery dept of tge grocery store... Workin at the grocery store sure has perks to it :cool:

sc928porsche
April 2, 2012, 12:53 PM
Thermos of coffee and a sweet roll on the way to drop off. I take with me a canteen of water and a pouch with an apple or orange that is attatched to my belt. Pick up time is usually between 11 and noon. Eat lunch in camp and back out by 3 and back to camp a little after dark. There are occasions where it is drop off in morning a pick up in evening. For those, I take an extra apple or orange.

FrankenMauser
April 2, 2012, 01:59 PM
Jerky, nuts, crackers, Twizzlers nibs (also comes in handy for low glucose, if you are hunting with a diabetic), etc...

Our primary source of venison is Pronghorn Antelope. Since you end up with a lot of burger (compared to other big game), we tend to turn quite a bit of it into jerky. On most hunts, you'll find 3-5 good sized pieces of Antelope jerky in my pocket ....right up until I start to smell like an Antelope. Then, I stop eating it for the rest of the hunt.

SurplusShooter
April 2, 2012, 03:26 PM
For hunting in a stand just a bottle of water and maby some jerky or an apple. But for a bird hunt, stalking, or a drive a bottle of water mabey a gator aid and some jerky and maby a candy bar or small sandwich. Walking around and hunting or dragging out a deer on an empty stomach is no fun.

stevelyn
April 3, 2012, 06:11 AM
Dried salmon and Sailor Boy pilot crackers.

hooligan1
April 3, 2012, 06:32 AM
Actuall I don't carry anything on opening morning,, but my kids do, and I help em load up on junk like lil debbies and such,,, a chub of deer bolongna, some ritz (whole wheat of course) and some water.
Fellas the only food I love to carry is after we go to the local buffet and what I can't finish at the table I scrape into one of my big cargo pockets and snack on it the rest of the day,,, I'm not talking mashed potatoes and gravy stuff man,,, I'm talking Home made Yeast rolls and Country ham chunks the size of a box of .223 rem shells,, and choclate chip cookies,, yeah that kinda snacks!!!:)

ltc444
April 4, 2012, 12:13 PM
When ever I go into the woods I carry a basic survivial kit. For snacks I carry a trail mix made up of Instant Oat meal with rasins, nuts and powerded milk. i will eat it raw as a snack. In a pinch the trail mix can be made into oat meal and makes a hot meal if I get stuck overnight.

Scubasimmons
April 4, 2012, 02:27 PM
Fun Size snickers (hopefully frozen, but that's weather dependent) and jerky.

BigMikey76
April 7, 2012, 09:17 AM
I still have yet to go on my first hunt, but I plan to take the same as when I go all day fishing (minus the beer, of course!) - peanuts, jerky, some hard candies, a thermos of coffee if it is chilly out and plenty of water. I try to avoid fruit cause too much of it does bad things to me... I'll spare you the details:(

rickyrick
April 7, 2012, 09:32 AM
I hear guys say they rip the back-strap out and eat it right there....which causes my eyebrow to raise.

BigMikey76
April 7, 2012, 09:36 AM
^^^ Deer Tar-Tar?

Major Dave (retired)
April 11, 2012, 10:15 PM
seems everything has noisy packaging, or crunches loudly when chewed.

Slim Jim's are pretty quiet, but expensive, and too small to get a full meal out of.

Even so, I usually take the double packaged Snickers, even though the wrappers are noisy.

Always have a hydration bladder on my back.

May make ham and cheese sandwiches, using potato rolls (more filling) as the "bread". Have to pack my mini-sandwiches in zip lock baggies - another noisy packaging.

Back at camp, I have a 16 quart cooler with iced down packages of ham, cheese, mustard in a squeeze bottle, and strawberry and peach jam (for breakfast).

In a small cardboard box, I have disposable plates, cups, and plastic utensils, along with bananas, honey in a squeeze bottle, and paper napkins, as well as one or more packages of potato rolls, and trail mix to which I have added mixed nuts. The trail mix is too noisy to eat while on stand, so I reserve it for my evening meal.

I usually hunt in 72 hour stretches, camping out, alone, in my compact pickup. I park in a campground which has port-a-potties, and cement tables. No need for a tent or other shelter, as I simply tilt back the bucket seat, spread my sleeping bag, and slip a horse shoe pillow around my neck, and catch some ZZZZ's until my battery powered alarm clock gets me up in time to be on stand an hour before first light.

Works for me!:)

jimbob86
April 11, 2012, 10:24 PM

Substitute "Daddy" for "Grandpa" and change the last line to "Daddy, I REALLY gotta go pee!" and that's how it has gone for me, on plenty of days.....

jimbob86
April 11, 2012, 10:27 PM
As for quiet, filling, non-offensive odor deer stand foods, you can't beat dried apple chips....... you will neeed to drink more water if you eat muchof these, though...... and take care not to eat a bunch too fast, as they will swell in your innards......