PDA

View Full Version : Knives. What kind and how many for your hunts?

Willie Lowman
March 20, 2012, 12:55 AM
Whitetails are pretty much my game of choice. I have come to the conclusion years ago that I should have two very sharp knives with me when I take to the field.

Last year I used a Entrek Badger and a Benchmade Griptillian (EDC knife). This year I would like to find a gut hook knife.
http://www.ennis-entrekusa.com/images/Badger%207.jpg

http://www.tacticalgungear.com/images/550shg-benchmadep1_01[3].jpg

When I am just out bumbling around in the woods I will sometimes take my K-Bar.

Art Eatman
March 20, 2012, 10:18 AM
My father brought back some lightweight wood-handled folding pocket knives from Germany. Solingen, about a 3" blade, maybe a bit longer. Plenty good for field dressing and skinning. It doesn't take much of a knife for Bambi.

Pahoo
March 20, 2012, 10:29 AM
It doesn't take much of a knife for Bambi.
So very true and knew and old-timer that only used a pocket knife on everything. Lately, I mostly use Kershaw and Columbia River. Both are under-rated and great quality. ... ;)

As far as a gut-hook, that's is certainly your call but personally I pass on these for a number of reasons. Instead, I use a standard utility knife with a carpet cutting blade. ... ;)

By the way, nothing wrong with the two you have pictured ... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

Panfisher
March 20, 2012, 10:29 AM
Since I like knives I usually have several between my pocket, belt and fanny pack. I really like a simple cheap knives for some of the work. The small Sheffield utility knives with a "carpet hook" blade work well for lots of things including splitting the skin on the legs, stick the point in and slice it as far as you want, $8 plus a pack of hook blades makes a small dent in finances. Gut hooks I am not a user of them, just used to guiding my blade with finger on off hand. Personally if I were to buy one I would look at one of the Gerber EZ zip tools, nothing more than a utility knife blade int a plastic holder, strictly for splitting not for skinning, also pretty cheap.

Keg
March 20, 2012, 10:44 AM
I just use a carbon bladed trapper....I have been collecting knives since I was in my teens....Many of these knives made today are made in China..and they are junk....

Willie Lowman
March 20, 2012, 11:04 AM
Wanting a gut hook comes from having a few friends and neighbors sing praises to the design.

Stihl used to sell folding knives at the Paul Bunyan show. They were cheap knives but they had hunter orange handles. They were a favorite hunting knife when I was growing up. Despite the orange handles I must have lost half a dozen of them in the woods (why I always take two knives now :rolleyes:).

TX Hunter
March 20, 2012, 11:09 AM
I clean all my Deer with a Case Trapper. Its all i need.

Scout
March 20, 2012, 12:00 PM
I have carried a Buck 110 for all of my life.

603Country
March 20, 2012, 12:31 PM
For most of my decades of deer hunting, I carried a Kbar and a Browning 3 blade folding knife (the one with the gut hook blade) in my canvas possible bag. The Kbar was for skinning and chopping and the Browning was mostly for the gut hook. I didn't need the gut hook, but it did come in handy. Nowdays, since I live in the country, I just use the Gerber folding knife (3 1/2 inch blade) that I carry in my pocket daily. Like some of ya'll, I like knives, and I'd buy dozens if I let myself do it, but so far my resistance is working.

upstate81
March 20, 2012, 12:33 PM
I have always used Camillus knives. A fantastic company based in Camillus NY. They filed for bankrupcey in 2007 and the company name and all rights were sold. I'm not too sure of their new products but their old knives were the best in my book. Anyone else familier with Camillus knives?

Clifford L. Hughes
March 20, 2012, 01:06 PM
Willie Loman:

I only carry one knife with me when I hunt. If I'm going into the big country I carry a Buck. I bought it in 1965 so I don't remember the modle number but it has a six or eight inch heavy blade. I carry it in case I have an emergency and I have to cut small trees for shelter. When I hunt deer here in California or antelope in Wyoming and I won't be far from the truck I carry a custom made Glen Hornby. It has about a three and a half inch blade and is razor sharp. Through the years I've use many brands like Case and Marble but I find the Buck and the Horbby out standing.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

spclPatrolGroup
March 20, 2012, 03:07 PM
Buck Alpha series are what I have been using on deer last few years, the grip fits my hands good, and it won't break the bank when I loose one in the field.

Grant D
March 20, 2012, 03:12 PM
+ 1 Buck 110 Folding Hunter. Same one since 1967 had to replace the sheath a couple of times

Scorch
March 20, 2012, 03:14 PM
When I hunt, I carry a handmade 4" clip point fixed blade with a carbon steel blade, and I always have my pocket knife with me. And I carry a steel for touching up the blade.

Saltydog235
March 20, 2012, 03:34 PM
I carry a Cutting Edge Whitetail Skinner in my pack and my trusty Spyderco Peter Herbst Lightweight in my pocket. Only thing we need a knife for is for a slit in the leg for a tag on does, then its off to the processor to do the dirty work. Its worth it to have one skinned, hung, processed, and packaged for $70.00.

Wyosmith
March 20, 2012, 03:52 PM
I use a large size Swiss Army Knife with a saw and a locking main blade, and I carry a diamond sharpening steel. For game up to elk, that's all I carry.

I have used that combination for everything from white tails does and antelope does to bull buffalo and moose. I gut, skin and field quarter all the game I kill, and all the games my friends and clients have killed with this combination, and have done so for about 20 years now.

(But I will throw in a folding pruning saw for the buffalo and moose hunting. I use the saw to core the pelvis and to dock the legs above the knees.)

Pahoo
March 20, 2012, 03:58 PM
My favorite that goes back to my Bow-Hunting days, is the Puma White Hunter. A bit on the large size but came in handy for trimming my shooting lanes. I still have it but seldom take it out. ... :)

Be Safe !!!

603Country
March 20, 2012, 05:09 PM
upstate, I do remember Camillus knives. I think the old WWII Kbar I used back when I was a kid was made by Camillus. I've passed it down to my grandson now. And I have an old pocket knife that's a Camillus. It once was a castrating knife used by my Dad's best buddy that was a rancher. How's that for knife history.

You sure that plant wasn't in Camillus, Texas?:D

AllenJ
March 20, 2012, 05:26 PM
When hunting bambi I only take my Case 3 bladed pocket knife, it is more than enough for the blacktails I hunt in my area. When I leave my area to go elk hunting I take the Case and a Kershaw Alaskan Hunter. It has 2 blades and a small saw. The saw is pretty much worthless but having 2 blades is really nice in case you get more than one animal down at a time.

Rembrandt
March 20, 2012, 06:22 PM
Cold Steel Master Hunter and a Gerber saw....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/IMG_0420.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Rembrandt51/IMG_0415.jpg

Crankylove
March 20, 2012, 06:59 PM
Buck 110 i got on my 12th birthday and a Wyoming knife for me. They have always done well on game from rabbits on up to elk.

mete
March 20, 2012, 07:14 PM
For years I used the early CS Master Hunter stainless steel .It is the most practical knife I can think of. Typical for deer I use a 4" ,slight drop point , stainless steel .For something larger a knife like Fallkniven S-1.
These days I use a modified Fallkniven TK-1 , a joy to use.

Kreyzhorse
March 20, 2012, 07:17 PM
One Buck is all I need. I believe it's a fixed blade Alpha with a gut hook and perhaps a 4" blade.

roberto mervicini
March 20, 2012, 07:26 PM
always 2 knives, wyoming gutting knive and either the old Buck folding (30 + years, my very first hunting knive) or one of the many fix blade that came after all razor sharp.
_______
roberto

upstate81
March 20, 2012, 07:41 PM
603 Country, camillus knives sure have been around for quite some time. Mid to late 1800's I believe. Yes I'm sure they were in NY I try to buy EVERYTHING I can locally.:) Its a shame small businesses are closing. Putting fine people out of work. I suppose things can always be purchased cheaper. :rolleyes: kind of like how some buck knives are foreign made. I've made that mistake before, if its priced cheap it most likely is cheap. Don't get me wrong I'm not rich be any means but I do try to support our products best I can. :o

bswiv
March 20, 2012, 08:11 PM
Carry 2 knives.......both small.........both Buck. That is when we are close to home, and the truck. Back when we used to hunt the coastal islands, where we had to go by boat, I'd have more, and a game saw.

Always a steel in the truck.............

And for what it is worth, in the fish market we use Dexter/Russell. They are not the best steel in the world but they are easy to dress back up when you dull one and they clean up easy too. I've used them more than a few times just because they were handy.....worked fine.

redneck
March 20, 2012, 10:31 PM
I've gotten kind of attached to this one. I made it several years ago, has a 3/16" thick O1 blade thats about 4 inches long and has been cold blued.
Handle is black linen micarta. Its more than you need for a whitetail but I've always liked bigger knives.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79924&stc=1&d=1332300482

Keg
March 20, 2012, 10:46 PM
Nice knife redneck.....

BigMikey76
March 20, 2012, 11:01 PM
I generaly keep it inexpensive. As long as the blade will hold an edge and the overall construction is solid, the brand name is unimportant. I have a knife I picked up on sale in a hardware store for $2.99 about 6 years ago. Nice and sharp, smooth folding and pretty nice looking, too. I carry it my pocket every day, but I don't even remember the brand name because the logo rubbed off after the first month that I had it. Best knife I ever had.

jimbob86
March 20, 2012, 11:07 PM
My knife, and my daughter's knife and hatchet....

I also have a couple of skinners ....

Beagle333
March 20, 2012, 11:46 PM
Uncle Henry. It's all I need.

http://www.knivesplus.com/unclehenryknifesc-124uh.html

ms6852
March 21, 2012, 12:54 AM
I normally carry the survival knife with either the stag handled knife or the micarta in black. The survival knife is for cutting throught bone. My cold steel or the kabar or loaners for those without one.

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv157/ms6852/KNIVES/IMG_6115.jpg

FrankenMauser
March 21, 2012, 01:53 AM
I ALWAYS have the 2.25" Gerber Paraframe on me. The one in the photo is almost 13 years old, now.

For hunts gone by, I carried an off-brand metal "Wyoming Knife" that had been modified to accept Wyoming Knife brand blades (they hold an edge longer, and take a new edge better), in addition to a 4.5" fixed-blade knife. But, I misplaced the fixed blade knife, broke the sheath for the Wyoming Knife, and then also misplaced the Wyoming Knife. (I know they're in my house. ....somewhere.)

So, I'll be carrying a Gerber Metolius Guthook on this year's big game hunts. For other tasks (or when the Guthook is prohibitively long), I'll have the Benchmade.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79926&stc=1&d=1332311953

sc928porsche
March 21, 2012, 01:01 PM
I still have my Buck general that I bought in 1962. I havnt found a need for any other knife for hunting. Its gone through a couple of scabbards tho.

Buzzcook
March 21, 2012, 07:31 PM
in the fish market we use Dexter/Russell.

Used those from the seventies onward. After seeing some expensive knives get butchered by co-workers I decided the house knives were good enough. Not something I'd want to carry on the trail though.

Gerber Gator works for me.

bamaranger
March 22, 2012, 02:55 AM
Got a lot of knives,..... there're cheaper than guns ya'know, and take up less space. ..... Bamawife buys that line, ...I'm saving money, get it?

For a lot of years, I carried a Buck Mini-Mentor, a stainless, rubber handled fixed blade sabre point, about 3" blade. The factory sheath stinks, but the steel takes and holds an edge a long time. I still use it to quarter and skin. The rubber handle is spongy and a sure grip, no matter how cold or bloody.

Another favorite fixed blade is the USA Schrade drop point from the Sharpfinger line, #154OT. NOT the swept point skinner, but the drop point mind you....that darn skinner point will stick the guts every time!

But...I tree stand hunt a bunch, and a sheath knife seems to get in the way of my climbing vest/harness webbing. A few years back I went to medium-large folders and simply carry one in my pants pocket.

Favorite big folders:
- a USA Schrade 2-blade, #25OT. I liked this big knife alot, but found that the carbon blades would rust in my pants pocket. I hang my bowhunt clothes on the outside back porch all season, 3.5 months, and needed to touch up the knife often due to moisture.

-an early Buck #112, the folding "Ranger". I put a thumbstud (little bandit?) on this knife and carry it a bit every year. Its a tad heavy in the pocket, but I've had it since '85 and carried it on a duty belt for a long while.

-Gerber Gator, nothing feels like one in hand. A tad big in the pocket, but I quarter and butcher with it alot in the shed. It got a thumb stud too.

-current favorite, two years running now and likely to fully retire all the above is of all things,..... a lockblade Case Sodbuster, made in the 70's. Feels right in the hand, sleek and easy to pocket carry, taper ground blade is tough, and low maintenance stainless steel. The lock blade is a plus.

Told ya I had a lot of knives!

L_Killkenny
March 22, 2012, 08:18 AM
Different knives for different days...

For coon and predator hunts I usually have 2 in my backpack. A Buck 446 Goliath folder and a Buck Mini-Mentor fixed.

For deer hunting I used a 5" version of the Kabar Fighting knife for a decade or so. Not very good in stock form but I re-profiled it and removed the top tang. Much better. Last year I bought a rosewood Buck Mini-Vangard. Better knife in every way than the Kabar but I still like the flat pommel for breakin the pelvic open and the longer reach for cutting wind pipes.

Always carry an EZ-Lap diamond rod for touch ups.

LK

hogdogs
March 22, 2012, 08:25 AM
I ALWAYS have a Buck 110 on my person and if I ain't been slackin' with the steel... she is no burn when cut sharp!!!

Literally the only burn you will fill when nicked is from whatever cooties are on the blade...

I never worried with a gut hook point. I figger that is a 5 second task and I have a routine involving 2 fingers inserted under the hide on either side of the blade in the starting hole and up/down goes my hands...

If I am at home, I will bring out a couple of my Dexter Russel sanisafe knives and an old USA made Imperial for the perfect selection of blade length and profiles...

Brent

RevGeo
March 22, 2012, 08:36 AM
For the field it's a Buck 112 folding hunter. I always carry my old Uncle Henry in my pocket. It came with a 'loss guarantee' when I bought it over 20 years ago and it's one of the few pocket knives I haven't lost! That guarantee must work.

camper4lyfe
March 22, 2012, 09:07 AM
I have a Gerber Gator.

http://image.rockynational.com/Gerber/Knives/06069/Gator-Folding-Clip-Point-Fine-Edge-1.jpg?width=1000

I got it in a set at Walmart for $20. I haven't seen it since, but I love the thing. The rubberized grip is great!

Art Eatman
March 22, 2012, 10:17 AM
On the other extreme, I knew a bow-hunter from Cuero, Texas. A botany-type who was heavy into knowing edible plants. Hunting locally in that flint rock country, he didn't bother with a knife. Kill Bambi, pop a couple of rocks together a few times in the right manner and he had his knife. :)

Willie Lowman
March 22, 2012, 10:55 AM
I never worried with a gut hook point. I figger that is a 5 second task and I have a routine involving 2 fingers inserted under the hide

Yeah, Brent, that's probably why I haven't tried one yet. I've made it this far with a regular blade, I probably don't need one with a hook on it.

jimbob86
March 22, 2012, 11:01 AM
I never worried with a gut hook point. I figger that is a 5 second task and I have a routine involving 2 fingers inserted under the hide

I have tried them..... they work for a while, but it is darn hard to sharpen that inside curve..... not worth the trouble, IMO, and definitely not worth buying a new knife for..... and as you note, a clip point and two fingers work just fine.

jimbob86
March 22, 2012, 11:02 AM
Also, all y'all that use folders: Isn't a PITA to clean all the blood out of?

hogdogs
March 22, 2012, 11:57 AM
Not hard at all... either a scrub brush a few swipes with paper towel crammed in and drug back and forth...

Brent

March 22, 2012, 12:21 PM
Being from Michigan I have a fondness for Marbles knives. A very old company in the Upper Pennisula.....Gladstone I believe. I have three, one for each of my two kids in the safe appreciating in value (two of the knives are limited edition production date stamped blades) and the pictured one for slicing Bambi.

Strafer Gott
March 22, 2012, 12:50 PM
Bark River knives. A Bravo 1 for the big jobs, couple of smaller ones for skinning. Don't forget a little multi- tool for fences and such.

mapsjanhere
March 22, 2012, 06:07 PM
Puma 945, everything you need
http://www.bugoutsurplus.com/files/210945.jpg

Art Eatman
March 22, 2012, 07:26 PM
Marble? Quality. My father earned enough money from trapping to buy a Marble hand-axe. Age 10, 1919...

jimbob86
March 22, 2012, 08:49 PM
Don't forget a little multi- tool for fences and such.

I had completely forgot about the Leatherman .... it's part of the everyday load.... wallet, keys, phone, EMP, Leatherman, cheap chinese folder ..... You said hunting ...... I assumed you meant hunting knives.....

hogdogs
March 22, 2012, 11:43 PM
I also always have Leatherman in a hip pocket or belt holster too... But for fences, I sure hope you mean mending them!!! My obligation to a land owner as a land "borrower" is to leave his place better than I found it.

Brent

Keg
March 23, 2012, 10:06 AM
Marble? Quality. My father earned enough money from trapping to buy a Marble hand-axe. Age 10, 1919...

Thats cool Art..I like hearin those stories of yesteryear..when quality was everything....

Keg
March 23, 2012, 04:33 PM
Some that I have collected since I was a youngster ....Most of these are from the 1900's to the 1950's....The 2 user trappers at the top are what I am carryin right now..An Eye Brand & a Bulldog Brand...The sheath knife in the center..I carry too..Western States(before Western)..It was made in the 30's..I had mikarta handles put on it cause the old celuloid handles had deteriorated.....Made a good using knife....

Art Eatman
March 23, 2012, 04:59 PM
Keg, that horizontally-placed knife at left center is much like my grandmother's, but the blade on hers was two inches, maybe a bit more, longer. Lord only knows how old. I gave it to my son...

idnative1948
March 23, 2012, 05:04 PM
Another vote for the Buck 110. My oldest (which I don't like to use), I found stuck in a tree at a camp. Some idgiot obviously throwing it and broke the back spring so I sent to into Buck to find out how much to fix it. Ended up being nada for repair and came back razor sharp, along with a value sheet on it. Ends up that it is first gen and is worth $130 now.

msnden
March 23, 2012, 09:05 PM
I have always used Camillus knives. A fantastic company based in Camillus NY. They filed for bankrupcey in 2007 and the company name and all rights were sold. I'm not too sure of their new products but their old knives were the best in my book. Anyone else familiar with Camillus knives?

There are a lot of great knifes on the market, & I have a few!! my favorite is the Schrade/Old Timer or Camilus in the "SharpFinger" design, IMOP there is just nothing better!!!!
They are all out of business now, and the name was sold to a Co. in China orr Japan. the originals can still be found on ebay and such,, but are getting spendy. if you have never used one you don't know the control this gives the user, just a great knife, also a little known fact, this is the knife of choice of the Infamous "Hells Angles" if you run across any of these that are made in the USA snap them up.

The Camillus Sharpfinger

http://msnden.smugmug.com/Sports/shooting/knifes-015/1169827011_oQMeu-M.jpg

The Schrade sharpfinger
http://msnden.smugmug.com/Sports/shooting/knifes-010/1169827054_6YV2E-M.jpg
afew assorated sharpfingers
http://msnden.smugmug.com/Sports/shooting/knifes-004/1169827037_rNi52-M.jpg

idnative1948
March 23, 2012, 10:48 PM
A lot of good posts here, but how many are actually used in the field? I have a couple I hold back myself. Let's see the used ones.

Keg
March 24, 2012, 12:00 AM
Art..thats an old Western from the 40's...If U look close there is a buffalo head on the blade....

msnden...Thats a lot of sharpfingers....

FrankenMauser
March 24, 2012, 12:06 AM
A lot of good posts here, but how many are actually used in the field? I have a couple I hold back myself. Let's see the used ones.

They are used. I clean them when I'm done. ;)

Hossless
March 24, 2012, 12:56 AM
Mora knife - MORAKNIV, made in Sweden. Carbon steel blade, (which has to be kept oiled when not in use). Scary sharp, and holds it's edge better than any knife I've owned. Best part is - only around 11 - 12 bucks. Fantastic bushcraft and or gutting/skinning knife. I've got a couple of different models and am going to purchase more. Got mine off of amazon.com, check out the reviews - and I don't leave home without it...

Art Eatman
March 24, 2012, 08:52 AM
The Moras have always had a good reputation...

treg
March 24, 2012, 09:36 AM
In my younger days I carried a special knife for deer hunting. Over the years I've found that my EDC does a fine job of dressing a deer. It ain't a lot of cutting and not a lot of precision is involved. As long as it's SHARP it'll get the job done.

Skinning and butchering is a different story and larger game may be too, but any EDC worth the calling will be able to field dress a whitetail deer. Heck, for the past 2 years I've used a $3, 3", made in China, plastic handled Schrade from the flea market with a washer welded on top for one hand opening. Having found a Kershaw VoltII on sale at Cabella's there is an upgrade in store for next year. :D

Don't get me wrong. I deeply appreciate the quality steels, craftmanship and utility of well made knives. My collection can prove that. Just lately for deer I've been asking, why?

Jack O'Conner
March 24, 2012, 11:12 AM
I prefer to use a drop point fixed blade for dressing and skinning my deer. This fancy handled model by Elk Ridge (import) has good steel although not exceptional steel. It holds an edge reasonably well. Its easy to sharpen with a few strokes upon ceramic sticks.

I've had good luck with imported economy priced brands such as Rough Rider, Frost, Timber Wolf, Schrade, and Ridge Runner. BUCK still builds amazing knives, too!

Jack

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/elkridge4.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/knifeelkridge.jpg

hogdogs
March 24, 2012, 11:29 AM
Since I see some collector types... I have a couple oldies (both huntin' related;) ) I would like to mention... One happens to be a "Western"... I have owned it since about '80-81 it was not new then. Blade is marked WESTERN with Boulder Colo below and USA on bottom. Handle is a black synthetic/aluminum sections. I Have never found this exact knife in google searches. If it has a value or desirability I would love to know.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/hogdogs/P6300042.jpg

The other is an Imperial... I know I never seen one that wasn't imported before finding this one.

It is a drop point with brown synthetic scales diamond checker pattern that looks cut with distinctly squared off edges.
Blade is marked "Imperial" with a crown over the "ria" PROV.R.I. under that with USA vertically as right margin.
I don't have a pic of it yet but if either of these are the "Holy Grail" to someone's collection I would be tickled to know it.

Brent

dlb0412
March 24, 2012, 12:23 PM
Knives of alaska bush camp and cold steel recon.

treg
March 24, 2012, 12:25 PM
Hogdogs,
I have a similar Western knife, same handle, clip point blade, from the same time period. Still have the sheath too, it's black leather with oak leaf and acorn tooling. The blade seems to be good steel as it holds an edge well. Got it new as a Christmas gift. It's gutted and skinned it share of deer and is still used as my small game cleaning knife.

I recall being in K-Mart with my Dad and him pointing out that knife in the case. I thought it was kinda ugly, but if he was asking me about there must be a reason. So with Christmas right around the corner I gave it a half hearted, half positive "humph". Now I think it's pretty cool.

Only seen one other similar knife. Seller was asking $50 at a gun show.

hogdogs
March 24, 2012, 12:40 PM
http://jaysknives.com/westernfixedblade/WesternOldStripedUpsweptHunter.jpg
Found this today... askin' $129...
smaller knife than mine 4 1/2" blade comared to 5" and OAL of 8 1/2 compared to 9 1/4.

Here is the same size as mine...
http://jaysknives.com/westernfixedblade/WesternStackedUpsweptSkinnerSmall.jpg

Now I want your drop point and the 3rd in alloy delrin...

Brent

Nick9130White
March 24, 2012, 06:53 PM
I have a Buck Omni Hunter for hunting with a gutter and a Buck Omni hunter for fishing. Got em free both in RealTree

mikthestick
March 25, 2012, 11:00 AM
Remember I'm British. As a young man my father worked a 3 shift rota. He always had a sheath knife a bit like a small bowie beside the handbrake in his car. As I was a small boy he wouldn't even let me touch it. I'm not sure of our laws but I don't think we are allowed to carry knives around openly. I know if my father ever had need to use his it would have been in self defense. He still would have required a good lawyer and a lot of luck.

If I carried a knife (as an American citizen lets say) it would be a big (crocodile Dundee style) one. It would be where everyone could see it. All my friends would know I don't take my knife out unless I'm going to sharpen it or use it.:)

Hawg
March 25, 2012, 01:14 PM
I've been using this Shrade Old Timer for about 30 years.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y269/rebel727/my%20junk/IMG_0040.jpg

dayman
March 25, 2012, 01:26 PM
I've had good luck with a Buck 119, and a crkt m16 (my edc).

I've also found, for gutting I actually like the tanto tip on the m16 - I find the corner between the tip and the edge works well. I've never tried a gut hook, mostly because it seems to be a solution to a problem I don't have.

I did enjoy all the pretty knife pics.

Keg
March 25, 2012, 02:16 PM
hogdogs...that was a popular Western knife handle in the 60's....That is the skinner....Western knives from Boulder, Colo were good ones....

Buzzcook
March 25, 2012, 03:23 PM
If I carried a knife (as an American citizen lets say) it would be a big (crocodile Dundee style) one. It would be where everyone could see it. All my friends would know I don't take my knife out unless I'm going to sharpen it or use it.

I have a few bowie style knives. They aren't the best thing for skinning game. Not bad for breaking down the carcass. They're ok as camp knives for cutting kindling and mumbly peg.

hooligan1
March 25, 2012, 04:47 PM
I had to dress that ten-pointer I got this year with a case "Copperhead", and it was the 1 inch blade at that,, I usually carry a buck 110 because it'll take a razor edge and hold it,, plus if I lose it wallyworld sells em cheap.

Now I can't really talk about the knives I've seen come and go as My father was a Case knife collector before any of us kids were born, he was born in 1927 and passed in 2002, and he gave me plenty of knives that I still have but it makes me cry, literally when I think of him and his "Knife Swappers" lounge here in Independence Mo., it was up on the square,,, some of you older fellas might of heard about it but he collected and traded knives every weekend, at the Covered Wagon on the square.

So when I saw this thread I grabbed some kleenex and started remembering!!!:o
Thanks fellas I'm blubbering like an ol lady now.......:o

On a happier note he did give me my great grandfathers pocketknife before he died in 2002, its a Case two bladed hunter in redbone... they say its worth quite a bit but it's mine til I pass then its the grandbaby's,,,, that dude is so sharp you can really shave your face with it...:)

BIG P
March 26, 2012, 12:55 AM
My double blade OLD TIMMER & A mid Axe in the truck.You know for one lick bone displacement.:D

budd
March 26, 2012, 09:17 PM
For the last 10 years I have used the COLD STEEL model SRK. A great knife for all kinds of uses and many ocasions. It is a great general purpose knife and a great sheath knife.

V/R
J. Budd

GM2
March 27, 2012, 12:47 AM
Buck 110 Folding Hunter have 3 of Them. One I bought years ago and two were gifts.

David_S
March 31, 2012, 04:43 AM
Wyosmith wrote I use a large size Swiss Army Knife with a saw and a locking main blade, and I carry a diamond sharpening steel.

x2

roadrunnr72
March 31, 2012, 03:59 PM
I used to use a gut hook knife, until I found the "Outdoor edge fip n' blaze (http://www.outdooredge.com/Flip-n-Blaze-Double-Blade-p/flip%20n%20blaze%20double%20blade.htm)". I got to use it this past season, and love it. Got it on sale at Bass Pro. The site pic looks a little weird because both blades are open.

TheBear
March 31, 2012, 05:14 PM
I use a Fällkniven F1, great knive, i highly recommend it.

Jack O'Conner
April 1, 2012, 11:41 AM
I've owned this Schrade LB7 for a long time. Steel is good but not exceptional. It has just enough nickel alloy for corrosion rersistance but not too hard to make for difficult sharpening. I highly recommend Schrade knives.

New Schrade knives are imports but quality is still right. I bought my nephew a new LB7 last year and it's same as my USA built knife.

Wanting D2 or 440A steel? Look elsewhere than Schrade. But if looking for quality that's affordable in a sturdy kinfe, Schrade deserves a close look.

Jack

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/SchradeLB71.jpg

tahoe2
April 1, 2012, 12:42 PM

All but one of mine have blood on them. When I was doing my Pronghorns, the blade was too long up inside by the neck area, so I bought the short gut hook.
Haven't had a chance to use it yet, maybe next season.
I put cabinet bumpers on the folders so I can open them one handed, they even work when bloody.

Sharade "Field & Stream" gut hook
Gerber "Gator Gut Hook"
Smith & Wesson "Gut Hook" shorty

Gerber "Gator folder"
Gerber "Drop Point folder" camo

Pahoo
April 1, 2012, 02:34 PM
All but one of mine have blood on them.
I sharpen hunting and fishing knives for a few folks around town and one group who is heavy, into trapping, never cleans them. Thinking that what is left on the blades is likely to infect you, if you should happen to cut yourself. I refuse to sharpen them any more, until they are cleaned by them. Knives as well as guns, need routine maintenance as well as observing some safety guidelines. ... ;)

Have any of you ever gotten an infection, off a dirty knife?? .... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

stevelyn
April 2, 2012, 02:18 AM
I finally got fed up with buying knives that later turned out to be junk and not perform as advertised. I educated myself on knife steels and their heat treat and last year ended up buying a Bone Collector trademarked Benchmade skinner.

It's a 4" skinner made from D2 tool steel, heat treated to 61-62 RwC with just the right amount of belly near the end of the blade. It was a bitch to sharpen as I reshaped the edge on my Spyderco Sharpmaker, but the diamond sticks made things go a little easier with shaping and I can now shave with that mirror polished, scary-sharp edge.

I've since peeled out two AKPEN brown bears with it and only had to touch up the blade on the ceramic sticks inspite of the carcass getting a little sandy from being rolled over during skinning. Too bad they don't offer a similar drop-point hunter and a caper made to the same specs. I think they would sell like crazy if they did. I would buy a complete set if one were offered.

I plan on getting another to match it this year. From now on when I buy a knife it's either going to be a high-end production knife like the Benchmade or I'm going the custom route as I've found some knife makers on another forum that turn out really great work at reasonable prices and they tell you what steel they use and what they are heat-treated to. Never again will I purchase a fixed-blade less than 60RwC. It's not worth the aggravation.

TX Hunter
April 2, 2012, 02:54 PM
I have one of those Schrade Gut Hook Skinners, Ive used it and it works great, Mine is like yours one of the old American Made ones, Ive had mine for about 20 years. I dont use it much anymore, I usually just use my Case Trapper, but that one comes out from time to time when my Son and I are both shinning a Deer or Hog in the yard.
The New Schrade Knives like that are made in China. Bummer.

Buzzcook
April 2, 2012, 04:42 PM
Knives as well as guns, need routine maintenance as well as observing some safety guidelines.

+1 Clean that sucker off. Heck many of the modern knives are dish washer safe. Lots of nasty micro bugs stick to your knife along with the blood.

tahoe2
April 3, 2012, 07:27 AM
that was just an expression, as in they have been used. my wife work's in a kitchen, and makes sure that every utensil is cleaned and disinfected after use.
not cleaning them is just gross!

Pahoo
April 3, 2012, 10:55 AM
that was just an expression, as in they have been used.
Missed that and I use to be a Buckskinner. :eek:
I now recognize the term and we use to have a small ritual about the mark of the blood or initiation. We used that term on our tomahawks. We also use to make the forehead of the hunter, on his first M/L deer kill. .... ;)

Did not mean to imply that you keep your knives dirty but know that others do. .... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Daryl
April 5, 2012, 04:01 PM
Have used all of mine for the purpose at one time or another. Even dressed an antelope once with a leatherman wave. Favorites include a Scott custom and Marbles fieldcraft,but often enough I just use an old timer pocket knife.

SurplusShooter
April 6, 2012, 08:59 AM
My hunting knife of choice is the Gerber Freemen Guide fixed blade and I always have my Swiss army knife out of habit as it's in my pocket just about every day.

briandg
April 6, 2012, 11:10 AM
The two sharpest, finest blades I own. A 4" fixed drop point with a blade over an inch from spine to edg, narrow, fine wedge cut steel, it is honestly razor sharp every time it comes off of the strop. The other is an old timer, again plain carbon steel and wedge cut, drop point, folder.

I suspect that most people who buy pocket knives would be absolutely amazed to feel a truly sharp blade.

Jack O'Conner
April 7, 2012, 04:12 PM
This is my Schrade USA Golden Spike. Blade design and overall shape are very good for the outdoorsman. Schrade now imports this knife but quality is same as the older USA built ones.

Jack

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/Schrade.jpg

Daryl
April 10, 2012, 02:59 PM
Briandg,

I never strop my blades. A slightly coarser edge works hetter for slicing, and stays sharp longer.

Even so, my hunting blades will shave hair off my arm, but would be hard on a face. Definitely sharp enough for their purpose,

hogdogs
April 11, 2012, 12:58 AM
Daryl, a rougher edge is better than a dull edge for slicing... But once the burring is rolled over, it is a dull knife...

The angle of your edge is what makes a more or less durable edge for a given metal...

A scalpel of fine grade is NO BURR. Unless you misuse it, it will last thru any surgical procedure... If you do dull it, it is easily resharpened...

I run my edge angles like a scalpel I sharpen to a fine smooth edge just under strop polished...

Like I have previously said, these cut fast and deep and you will not feel a burn unless your skin or my blade is dirty!

I have shaved my face with mine and that was done using just Ivory bar soap applied with an antique shaving brush... Not like a quad blade razor but I suffered no rash or irritated skin even...

Brent

Pahoo
April 12, 2012, 11:04 AM
I never strop my blades. A slightly coarser edge works hetter for slicing, and stays sharp longer.

I do strop most of my blades but hone very few, mostly some pocket-knives. Through the years, we have all developed our own techniques on knive and guns. I stopped shaving my arms and legs, many years ago and have safer methods of testing sharpness, mostly using a rubber band. ..... ;)

Be Safe !!!

WV_gunner
April 12, 2012, 06:25 PM
I just have a cheap fixed Winchester hunting knife for deer. I do have a Case with, if I remember right, a 10 inch blade or so. Now if I only had a reasonable reason to use.

ltc444
April 14, 2012, 05:55 PM
i carried an LB7 for years. The lock broke on it and now I carry a custom knife made by Virgil Coresiti. It is extremely light but durable works well for field dressing. For skinning I use an old Hickory skinning knife That has been in my family for 90 years.

aaalaska
April 14, 2012, 11:15 PM
What I carry depends on what I'm hunting and how I'm going to get there,If I can drive my truck ,4 wheeler, snowmachine or boat, right into the hunting area then the gear can be a lot heavier .If I'm getting on a bush plane ,or it's all going on my back, then the buck pac lite skinner & caper, and the buck sharpener that is about the size of a credit card, along with a plastic handled utility knife ,the type that you break a section off when it gets dull, that goes everywhere with me, to open the hide up. For fishing my gerber tool and a 6" fillet knife. For small game my gerber tool and a set of game shears.

Deja vu
April 16, 2012, 06:30 PM
I use an old buck knife my father gave me. I have no idea what it is other than a buck. It does not fold and has about a 4 inch blade. It has a stag grip and a slightly curved blade.

http://www.great-lakes.org/graphics-2/Buck%20Knives/rev-02-12-07/118LE.jpg

I looked it up this looks a lot like it. May be it is not as old as I thought it was.

Ambishot
May 1, 2012, 01:39 AM
I carry a buck zipper (half serrated blade) for the field dressing/butchering portion of the hunt. For snags and misc. items that need cutting, I have a spyderco 3'' folder in my pocket.

stu925
May 1, 2012, 08:36 PM
My everyday knife is a Kershaw Blur which is always in my pocket unless I'm at work but I don't use it for hunting even though I have it with me. For hunting I have 2 knives that I always carry in the woods. One is a Kershaw sheath knife with gut hook which is a great knife and the gut hook works pretty well, the other is an old Schrade LB7 which was made right down the road about 40mi in Ellenville, NY. We were all saddened when the Schrade factory closed it's doors, it was one of the last industries in the area to go belly up. Those old Schrade knives are pretty tough to beat and hold an edge well.

Stu

BoogieMan
May 2, 2012, 02:29 PM
I own many knives case, buck, ka-bar, solingen stag handle. But my primary hunting knife is a Buck pathfinder. My daily carry folding 3-blade is a Buck Stockman. As a machinist and versed in metallurgy I can tell you its all about the steel. Buck uses a great hard SS. A little tough to sharpen but it stays sharp. I use my stockman at least 10-12 times daily. Took my almost 20 years to consider the first one used up. But I still use it for fine work.
In the kitchen its Wusthoff or Henckle (a little thick for de-boning and fillet) and on the fillet bench its Dexter. I am sure there are other quality blades but these have served me very well after trashing lesser knives.

treg
May 3, 2012, 10:33 PM
As a machinist and versed in metallurgy I can tell you its all about the steel. Buck uses a great hard SS. A little tough to sharpen but it stays sharp.

Same here. And last weekend I "field dressed" a 520 lb hereford that had to be shot and dragged thru sand to get home. Used my BuckLite (426+ SS blade) hunting knife and it is still shaving sharp. Yes I tried it, good steel.

dwright1951
May 24, 2012, 04:04 PM
I carry several in my truck, for several years I mostly used a buck lite with interchangable blades drop point no gut hook (I hate gut hooks because when you cut from the outside to the inside you cut hair and it gets stuck to everything, I always cut from the inside out). Last year I bought a cold steel pendelton hunter, like the master hunter but with a shorter blade, the rubber grip works real well when your hands get slick or bloody.

1tfl
May 24, 2012, 04:34 PM
I've been using the Cold Steel Pendleton Hunter for past couple months and I like them a lot. I like the size and design of the blade making it almost perfect for hogs and deers. I like the Master Hunter too but the blade is a little too large for some use.

whitefeathersniper
May 25, 2012, 08:28 AM
My everyday carry knife is a CRKT M-16 and it goes on hunts and fishing trips too.

Jack O'Conner
June 2, 2012, 07:09 PM
Boker Magnum Safari is a keeper!

Jack

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/bokersafari.jpg

Jack O'Conner
July 10, 2012, 03:12 PM
Schrade is still a good knife, even the imports.

Jack

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/OTknife01.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/OTknife02.jpg

Sure Shot Mc Gee
July 10, 2012, 04:29 PM
Carry two with me for deer. 1st. Wyoming Knife (older chrome metal not plastic) hook blade. 2nd. A Chicago Cutlery folding {lock blade} fillet knife. Went that flat blade custom made store bought stuff till I seen a Native Canadian guide use what I now use. Kind of get a kick in watching those rookies walk around with their Big Ol' Flat Bladed Knife hanging on their pants belt in a sheath. Kind of reminds me of Tarzan of the Apes.

DTrain
July 10, 2012, 08:29 PM
upstate81, here's a Camillus for you. It was a 5 year anniversary gift from my place of employment (about 5 1/2 years ago). They must have had an inventory of them. It can get wicked sharp and slices through a deer hide with ease :D

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af341/Hunter8282/CamillusCM-9Lockback.jpg

Mainah
July 11, 2012, 05:06 PM
My everyday carry knife is a CRKT M-16 and it goes on hunts and fishing trips too.

Great knife. A couple of years ago I was in Kenya and a Kenyan soldier escorted our group on the banks of the Mara River to watch crocs and hippos. At the end of the tour I realized that I didn't have any cash for a tip, I gave him my M-16.

RangerHAAF
July 15, 2012, 05:58 PM
The last deer that I field dressed I used a Cutco Hunter, it holds its edge very well. I just bought a Coldsteel Spartan folder that I'm anxious to try; it's gotten gotten good reviews. I always carry two in the field plus a sharpener.