PDA

View Full Version : The drain ATE MY NIPPLE!

deerslayer303
March 2, 2012, 10:09 PM
I was washing the nipple to my rifle in the sink with some dawn and it slipped out of my fingers and down the drain she went LOL. I pulled the trap apart and its probably in the septic tank by now. No big deal I ordered a few more from TOTW. I have fashioned me a screen for the drain now though. Funny how you don't think of this stuff till something bad happens haha.

Lee McNelly
March 2, 2012, 10:17 PM
i think checkers is called for

be kind to any children or grand kids they chose the nursing home for you:D:

mykeal
March 3, 2012, 05:21 AM
I keep a small plastic jar with a screw-on lid on the bench. It's about half full of a bp solvent (T/C No. 13, I think, although that's not important). I put small parts in that for separate cleaning. They soak there until I get around to them after the barrel is done. Cleaning is done on the bench in separate bowls. They don't go near the sink.

Hawg Haggen
March 3, 2012, 06:41 AM
Just another reason not to take it out.:D

taurusbob
March 3, 2012, 07:32 AM
You are going in time out for that.:D plus the new nipple will
be coming out of your allowance.

Rifleman1776
March 3, 2012, 08:52 AM
Several misteaks there.
#1, no need to remove nipples unless replacing.
Not fatal, buy more.

Beagle333
March 3, 2012, 09:11 AM
No big deal I ordered a few more from TOTW.

Planning ahead. . . there you go! :D

It isn't the plan that needed modification, it was the resources!

wogpotter
March 3, 2012, 10:18 AM
The full instructions for cleaning with nipple removed.
1. Put bucket in sink.
2, Fill bucket with water.
3. Clean.
4. remove from bucket. (check for missing nipples.)
5. empty bucket down sink.

:)

Sure Shot Mc Gee
March 3, 2012, 11:10 AM
At 6.00 bucks a pop plus pony express? They ain't cheap anymore. Now I suppose we won't see any more of your Great Plains shooting ability's for awhile either?--> Darn!!-:(- I'm with Hawg Haggen on this one.:p "Hey deerslayer303 you got to do better job!! Try to be a little more guarded next time will yaw!!":D

deerslayer303
March 3, 2012, 01:05 PM
LOL I know when I dropped it I remember thinking "way to go Shawn you BONEHEAD" Definately gonna change the cleaning procedure. But as soon as the new nips get here, there will be some more videos, we gonna stretch her out a little this time.

Sure Shot Mc Gee
March 3, 2012, 05:23 PM
there will be some more videos, we gonna stretch her out a little this time. All right!!!!!-- I'll be look'in forward to the next one.:) By the way? Did I say thanks for keeping our State Green? ;) Track of the Wolf is only 20-mins away from me. Say hello to John for me.:) SSMcG

shortwave
March 4, 2012, 01:34 PM
My cleaning procedures pretty much mirror that of mykeal's. Small parts go in small container to soak while cleaning rest of rifle.

The nipple doesn't get removed but about once a year. Mainly for re-applying that small dab of anti-seize to nipple threads.

Strafer Gott
March 5, 2012, 01:31 PM
I use the nipple to put some tubing on and draw the hot water with ballistol into the rifle, followed by warm water rinse After that I remove the nipple and put a borelite in to inspect the bore and chamber. This lets you see everything.

deerslayer303
March 5, 2012, 01:56 PM
By the way? Did I say thanks for keeping our State Green? Track of the Wolf is only 20-mins away from me. Say hello to John for me. SSMcG

Not a problem. Although I wish we had a good black powder shop here in my area. hmmmm, hey now thats an idea (anyone wanna invest? :D) But till then I will keep ordering out, no matter, in a sense I'm keeping the U.S. Green "ONE TEAM, ONE FIGHT"

On another note, thanks for all the cleaning tips. But I've tried putting my bore light up to the nipple hole (nipple removed) and I can't get any light through there, even though when I run a patch I get the swoosh of air sucking in and out. Maybe I need a smaller fiber optic one that will go in there a little. Its awfully hard to make out whether or not the breech area is clean by looking down the muzzle with the bore light.

Lee McNelly
March 5, 2012, 02:23 PM
bore brush and bore scraper would help answer that ?

Hawg Haggen
March 5, 2012, 04:09 PM
bore brush and bore scraper would help answer that ?

Too easy to get a brush hung up in a muzzle loader. Sides water cleans bp fouling pretty good, specially if you force water through it.

Sure Shot Mc Gee
March 5, 2012, 05:59 PM
Maybe one of those foaming barrel cleaners might work for your application? Their known for their creeping possibilities. Just very well might sneak into the Snail-- Problem than lies with the loss of barrel seasoning. A few times at the picnic table should resolved that too. Hey deerslayer 303 there you go!!! Easy fix.---. Post Script: What no black powder in S/Carrol the home of Major Billy Chronicle and his famous 60. > Oh!! That's a shame!!! :(

Hawg Haggen
March 5, 2012, 06:56 PM
Contrary to popular belief you cant "season" a muzzle loader barrel.

Mr.Guido
March 5, 2012, 08:35 PM
Deerslayer303, you will not get light to bend those corners without a prism.
I use a bronze brush that fits the chamber. Just shove it in, give it a couple twists and keep twisting as I pull it out (important).
Then use a stiff tobacco pipe cleaner through the nipple hole working it in until I can see it at the bottom of the bore. Finish up with a good flush and oil to taste.

Sure Shot Mc Gee
March 16, 2012, 04:57 PM
Hawg Haggen said:
Contrary to popular belief you cant "season" a muzzle loader barrel. Are you sure about that comment you made DEO? As I humbly take exception!! Reference I have on hand: A T/C Owners Manual that comes with every B/P weapon that I ever bought. It states on page 62 and I When using all natural, non petroleum based lubricant such as T/Cs Natural Lube 1000+ the bore becomes seasoned; much like the surface of a cast iron skillet. Are we to believe that you Sir are an authority on barrel seasoning verses a famous weapons manufactures claim? Oh!! My I'm in a quandary here. I don't know what to believe anymore? :eek: > :p

mykeal
March 17, 2012, 05:46 PM
Hawg is correct. And T/C has removed that statement from their manuals. It's total BS. Here's a link to their current Hawken manual, look for yourself: http://www.tcarms.com/assets/manuals/current/Hawken_Manual.pdf
Hint: see pages 37 & 40.

And his name isn't DEO. The DEO VINDICE in his signature line is the motto on the Confederate States of America seal. It means, loosely, "God Will Vindicate".

Stick around. You may actually learn a few things.

Hawg Haggen
March 17, 2012, 06:21 PM
Thank ya Mykeal.

Rifleman1776
March 17, 2012, 06:44 PM
Contrary to popular belief you cant "season" a muzzle loader barrel.

HH, don't confuse 'em with facts. :rolleyes:
Believing the myth is more fun.;)

deerslayer303
March 17, 2012, 10:40 PM
Awww man, well I coated the inside of my new barrel with crisco and baked it in the oven for a while!!! So you mean to tell me I wasted my time???????????? :D ;)

Hawg Haggen
March 17, 2012, 10:49 PM
Well ummmm yeah.:D

mykeal
March 18, 2012, 06:45 AM
Maybe not. How did it taste?

Hawg Haggen
March 18, 2012, 08:32 AM
I can't imagine it tasting too good. he didn't put any salt, pepper or ketchup on it.

deerslayer303
March 18, 2012, 08:48 AM
LOL, nope but it now has a guaranteed non stick surface

Sure Shot Mc Gee
March 18, 2012, 12:52 PM
mykeal--Contrary to popular belief you cant "season" a muzzle loader barrel. I never claimed to be an authority on barrel seasoning. I had in hand a 1995 T/C owners manual at the time. If T/C chose to change their maintenance wording as currently seen on the web site you posted (tcarms.com/assets/manuals...ken_Manual.pdf) and doing so without informing their customers of the change. I guess its a moot point. As far as the other topics you mentioned? Whatever.

mykeal
March 18, 2012, 05:25 PM
I never claimed to be an authority on barrel seasoning.
Good.

Andy Griffith
March 18, 2012, 05:35 PM
I've always believed in barrel seasoning, now you're telling me it can't be done?

I figure if you season it like an iron skillet, it's seasoned.
I have not cooked in a fresh barrel yet, but now I'm going to have to try. :D

Strafer Gott
March 18, 2012, 05:46 PM
I've gotten a few rifles with seasoned barrels. A proper cleaning with Ballistol took it right out.http://thefiringline.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Hawg Haggen
March 18, 2012, 08:11 PM
I've gotten a few rifles with seasoned barrels.

If you say so.

Pahoo
March 19, 2012, 10:40 AM
I always season a new barrel or at least try to. Mostly with mixed results and certainly not a point to argue. Mostly because it's not anything that is easily documented. I have one .45 Side-lock that responded well and then there are others that I really can't tell. I'll stick to my techniques and they are hurting anyone . ..... ;)

Just don't tell me, the tooth fairy does not exist. ...... :eek:

Be Safe !!!

deerslayer303
March 19, 2012, 06:40 PM
The label on the front of this new tube of bore butter I just bought says "season's barrels to make fouling softer" :p

mykeal
March 19, 2012, 09:13 PM
Which is marketing BS. You can believe it if you want.

deerslayer303
March 19, 2012, 09:20 PM
LOL I don't I just wanted to stir the pot a little. :D

Strafer Gott
March 23, 2012, 09:44 AM
Oh Hawg, not again! Please call BS on this!

Hawg Haggen
March 23, 2012, 11:22 AM

I don't even know what dynatek is.

arcticap
March 24, 2012, 04:10 AM
Knight preseasons barrels with Dynatek?

It's a ceramic bore coating.
I heard that in a few years all of the Teflon coated frying pans will be discontinued from being sold in the U.S. and will be replaced by ceramic coated frying pans.
The ceramic coating will last longer, will be more effective and shouldn't produce any of the questionably unhealthy byproducts that can be released from the Teflon coated pans by high heat.
Some Traditions guns had Teflon coated bores at one time but that process didn't last very long.
And Investarms use to make some chrome lined bores along with some other muzzle loader manufacturers.

DynaTek Bore Coat

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482856

Rifleman1776
March 24, 2012, 09:04 AM
I think this thread should be closed because it has fallen down the rabbit hole.

prm
March 24, 2012, 06:26 PM
Awww man, well I coated the inside of my new barrel with crisco and baked it in the oven for a while!!! So you mean to tell me I wasted my time????????????

I wouldn't say a waste of time. You could always cook cornbread tubes.

Hawg Haggen
March 24, 2012, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't say a waste of time. You could always cook cornbread tubes.

With rifling. You could sell them and call them twisters.:D

deerslayer303
March 24, 2012, 07:22 PM
With rifling. You could sell them and call them twisters.

you might be on to something there, it could be the next big food thing and make you a billionaire.

mykeal
March 24, 2012, 09:47 PM
Yeah, man! Coat 'em with powdered cheese and...no, wait, that's been done.:mad:

Hardy
March 26, 2012, 07:41 PM
Here is my recipe. Take your brass brush and scrub inside of barrel to all bluin comes out. A lot of folks don't know that. Clean w/ ballestol mixed 3/1. Run dry swabs till residue no longer remains Then run a cotton patch w/ pure ballestol. The the barrel is shiny & clean and protected against rust--ain't that all you need? Or use another type of lubricant if you don't like ballestol.
WBH