PDA

View Full Version : Favorite animal to hunt?

HALL,AUSTIN
February 28, 2012, 12:27 AM
What is your favorite animal to hunt and why?
Mine is turkey followed by coyote.

farmerboy
February 28, 2012, 12:54 AM
Hogs, squirrel, coyotes then deer. Really love to hunt them all.

frigate88
February 28, 2012, 02:07 AM
I'd have to go with hogs, birds, then deer.

rickyrick
February 28, 2012, 05:36 AM
Hogs and coyotes are my favorite, and other Varmints as needed. Game animals are to expensive.

Bigfatts
February 28, 2012, 06:46 AM
Hogs and squirrels.

hoytinak
February 28, 2012, 06:51 AM
Women....:D

Any small game as that's all I hunt anymore; squirrel, rabbit, pheasant, quail....but even still I do more fishing than huntin'.

Art Eatman
February 28, 2012, 07:00 AM
I guess that whitetail bucks come first. Calling coyotes is second. I don't call prairie-dogging "hunting", but they're good and beneficial target practice. :)

Saltydog235
February 28, 2012, 07:10 AM
Deer and quail. Hogs are fun to shoot but I hate them, they're vermin same with yotes. Then its dolphin, grouper, snapper, wahoo, BSB and the occasional stickfish.

BIG P
February 28, 2012, 08:22 AM
White tail deer, table fair & sport
Hogs & songdogs just like to kill um.

February 28, 2012, 08:38 AM
The one animal I hunt most often is the whitetail deer. However, that doesn't make it my favorite. My favorite would be duck. I like the rush when the shooting action gets hot and heavy.

mquail
February 28, 2012, 08:47 AM
Prairie chickens and sharptailed grouse. My reason is complicated but I'll give it a shot. These two grouse are reminders to me of a gamebird that is totally tied to the prairie, not pheasants nor hungarian partridge. If you plow up the prairie and only leave small patches of it they will be gone, replaced by partridge and pheasants. On the other hand these grouse have found that man's crops are well worth using and will use harvested grainfields to feed in. It's a pretty handy arrangement. So if there is plenty of moderately grazed prairie with a patchwork of crops here and there there will be grouse. Not to mention I like eating them.

Even at my age:eek: I get all excited before a grouse hunt, can't sleep. At the end of the day if we have a few birds I can't wait for dinner. Last fall I was telling my son while breasting out some birds, "Ya gotta handle them with care." We did and ate good that night

jmorris
February 28, 2012, 08:49 AM
Dove, limit out, wearing shorts and a T shirt, sitting on a tailgate with a cooler in between you and a friend...why? What else can you hunt like that?

RevGeo
February 28, 2012, 10:15 AM
Elk first and foremost. Then whitetails. I'll hunt just about anything but those are my favorites.

AllenJ
February 28, 2012, 11:20 AM
My 2 favorite are elk and waterfowl, please don't make me choose between them:D

Pahoo
February 28, 2012, 11:29 AM
Well, I'd say, pheasant but they all moves to SD. Then Coyote and squirrel.
Hunting Pheasant behind a good pointer is sheer poetry. Shooting those stinky coyotes at 50+ yards is satisfying and spending a cool morning in the Hickories is spiritually rewarding. .... ;)

However, I think I'll have to try this one out and for the same reasons.
Dove, limit out, wearing shorts and a T shirt, sitting on a tailgate with a cooler in between you and a friend...why? What else can you hunt like that?

Be Safe !!!

Scorch
February 28, 2012, 12:34 PM
Upland birds (quail, grouse, pheasants), geese (never ducks yuck!), elk, coyotes, pigs, deer. I like shooting ground squirrels, but I would not call it hunting.

mete
February 28, 2012, 01:06 PM
In the west , jackalope, in the east ,naugha. Both fairly rare and both very difficult to get. :D

PA Hunter37
February 28, 2012, 01:20 PM
Anything that involves hunting with my Dad. Usually white tails but recently has been black bear and planning an elk hunt for next year.

Hansam
February 28, 2012, 01:45 PM
Pheasant, coyote and deer. All in that order of priorities.

One of these days I'm going to make it down to TX and help them rid themselves of a few hogs...

HALL,AUSTIN
February 28, 2012, 03:01 PM
Ya, I got a jackalope tag once... payed $1,000 ju st to find out that the season was over. ;)

farmerboy
February 28, 2012, 03:39 PM
every time I go Jackalope hunting all I ever get is the does, them bucks must be real sneaky!

Kreyzhorse
February 28, 2012, 07:59 PM
I love whitetail hunting followed by antelope and then turkey.

warbirdlover
February 28, 2012, 09:52 PM
Rifle whitetail hunting followed by pheasants (which no longer live in Wisconsin)..... :D

Lee McNelly
February 28, 2012, 09:54 PM
pheasant

dbgun
February 28, 2012, 09:56 PM
Doves in September
Deer in November

Always with good friends and cold beer (at the end of the day).

hogshead
February 28, 2012, 10:20 PM
Bear with hounds everything else pales in comparison.

GM2
February 28, 2012, 10:37 PM
Mainly Whitetail Deer and Turkey sometime Duck hunting

dalegribble
February 28, 2012, 10:43 PM
what season is it? i guess thats why they spread hunting seasons thru out the year.

PoorRichRichard
February 29, 2012, 12:00 AM
Birds, birds, and more birds! Developing a love of jackrabbit hunting as well. Contrary to popular belief, tastes great. >>> Gotta soak the meat in a beer with a fat slice of onion for one hour before throwing it on the barbecue.

bamaranger
March 6, 2012, 03:02 AM
Why?
- The one on one nature of calling a specific bird. You locate him, set up and call, and maybe you get a shot. You seldom if ever kill a spring gobbler "by accident".

-The calling, though I don't necessarily kill all my birds by calling. He gobbles, you call, he answers and maybe comes in. I will never get tired of it.

-Great time of year. Well most of the time anyhow. Mild temps, blossoms (redbud and dogwood at the same time some seasons, gorgeous!)

-challenge, and satisfaction. Taking a buck, with the advent of green fields and shooting houses, is not to difficult, comparativley speaking. Locating a tom, setting up in the open woods on the ground,and taking the bird in shotgun range, is an accomplishment.

-easy to clean and youy don't have to drag

MOshooter65202
March 6, 2012, 07:46 AM
For my area my favorite animal to hunt Turkey,Deer,and Varmint...
I really miss the quail hunting,at one time the quail flourished here in MO. now we rarely hear the Bob White :confused:

Daryl
March 6, 2012, 08:42 AM
Coues deer. For the challenge.

The country these deer typically inhabit is rough, steep, rocky, and therefore hard to stalk in. I've hunted a lot of critters in my life, but none more challenging than these little deer.

Add to that the fact that the area they inhabit is limited to Arizona, New Mexico, and Mexico so they're sort of unique.

Daryl

TX Hunter
March 6, 2012, 07:32 PM
My Favorite would have to be Racoon, The Reason is because I can hunt them with Hounds, and really enjoy Listening to the Hounds Run and Tree.

Jo6pak
March 6, 2012, 08:05 PM
Rabbit and grouse

arch308
March 6, 2012, 08:17 PM
Whitetails and any thing that shows up while I'm hunting them, ie hogs, dogs, etc. Also love to dove hunt.

dlb0412
March 6, 2012, 08:43 PM
Lock nest monster. There really elusive the only one i seen came to my house and asked for 350.

hoytinak
March 6, 2012, 08:49 PM
Lock nest monster. There really elusive the only one i seen came to my house and asked for 350.

hahaha....tree fiddy :cool:

chewie146
March 6, 2012, 08:58 PM
Deer, elk, and squirrel take up most of my time. I'd love to hunt hogs, but I can hunt the first 3 within 30 minutes of my house.

Blind Dog Jake
March 6, 2012, 09:10 PM
Was sent out on a fool's errand to hold the burlap bag on a snipe hunt. Didn't like that so much, never did it again.

Hunt coyote and woodchucks. Haven't hunted whitetails much in past few years.
Spent a few decades hunting ducks and geese on Ohio's north shore.

jimbob86
March 6, 2012, 09:24 PM
For excitement? Wild Turkey.

For food? Cornfed whitetail.

For sheer shootin' fun? June Prairie Dogs.

huntinaz
March 6, 2012, 09:51 PM
Bull Elk. Deer and predators next.

Irish B
March 7, 2012, 01:56 AM
Angry Mexican Grey Wolves with a net gun. That was quite the thrill.

sc928porsche
March 7, 2012, 07:57 AM
Without a doubt, deer are my favorite game to hunt. I prefer Mulies to Whitetail, but either will do. I also love elk, but those buggers are a bit difficult to drag! Next down the list is pheasant, followed by duck and goose. When everything is out of season, there is always jackrabbit.

mete
March 7, 2012, 11:22 AM
Blind Dog Jake , I was once talking about the Woodcock to a group and mentioned that they are a member of the Snipe family. Someone in the back said "you mean there is really such a thing as a Snipe ? " :rolleyes: :D

Deja vu
March 7, 2012, 03:37 PM
Deer by far. I like elk too but that can be a lot of work.

Ambishot
March 7, 2012, 03:53 PM
Currently, Pronghorn. In the past, my favorite were geese/waterfowl and mule deer.