PDA

View Full Version : british jungle carbine finish

ottoblotto71
February 16, 2012, 06:11 PM
i have an enfield no. 5 jungle carbine i was thinking about refinishing. i guess originally they were oil-blackened[heated red hot and dipped in oil]. is there a finish i could put on that would look the same? i am a novice with little to no skills. does anybody oil-blacken? i want my gun to look authentic, im decent with wood, but never messed with the metal side of it. the metal fittings has a different finish than reciever or barrel, allmost painted. i think its a project i can tackle, but then again dont want to mess with the value of the gun either. thanks for any help or advice

radom
February 17, 2012, 12:02 AM
Krylon rattle can or stove black. Its close to the original issue paint finish.

Bill DeShivs
February 17, 2012, 12:51 AM
They were originall black enamel that was baked after application.
I would think twice, maybe 3 times about refinishing it. Have you seen the prices of original jungle carbines? Refinishing it will destroy any collector value.

radom
February 17, 2012, 12:57 AM
Thats for sure on a original not messed with No-5. I still have a time getting used to these 35 buck rifles selling at what they do now but they do sell for some money today.

ottoblotto71
February 17, 2012, 01:24 AM
yeah well just the price of living i suppose, like $6 CIGS AND $4 GAS. I bought my first gun an enfieild for $10 outa garage. my dad said the shells cost more than the gun . i went back and got a 22

radom
February 17, 2012, 03:01 AM
First Enfield I had the guy wanted 5 bucks for and all I had was somthing like 3.75 and a few pennys he took it and it was a decent No-4*.

CowTowner
February 17, 2012, 05:50 AM
I still have my first No.4 Mk1. Paid $35 for it. I don't see giving it up either.
I wouldn't mess with a true No.5 at all.

madcratebuilder
February 17, 2012, 07:18 AM
For a refinish contact Brian at BDL, he can replicate the Suncorite painted finish that was used on Enfields.

I wood keep it in original condition. Oil the wood and shoot it.

Brian refinished this scope mount on my No4(T). He well bead blast, Parkerize, then apply the Suncorite.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/Enfields/finished02.jpg