PDA

View Full Version : anyone used a hi-point .45 ACP

gryphon
November 26, 2000, 10:06 AM
Just curious to see what this thing is all about. Any help?

beemerb
November 26, 2000, 10:41 AM
I would pass on it.They are true JUNK guns.

Mal H
November 26, 2000, 11:51 AM
Moving to Semiauto forum.

Coolray
November 26, 2000, 01:17 PM
I Have a Hi-Point 9mm compact a great shooter and really reliable shoots and feeds everything iI give it. +P+ rated, I have held but not fired the.45 If you have smaller hands or fingers pass on it. It is very large and kind of thick feeling but it has good balance. Based on the 9mm I'm going to buy one just for fun, It will not replace my 1911A1 but costs tons less. :D

George Hill
November 26, 2000, 01:37 PM
You should buy a slingshot instead...

Shin-Tao
November 26, 2000, 01:50 PM
I admit that I test-fired one a few months ago. It was the .45 variant.

It ran through 120 rnds of 45 hydrashock with no problems. Accuracy was fine, but the thing was heavy.

It's a big crude, lump of steel. But I imagine that has apeal to a lot of people.

120 rnds isn't a lot for any kind of reliability test, but from what I have heard from some folks who have them, they work.

Go figure.

gryphon
November 26, 2000, 09:54 PM
I appreciate all the responses, thanks all for your honest opinion. I've test fired a Kimber .45 and liked it a lot. Since it is so cheap, I might grab a hi-point 45 just for fun!

James K
November 26, 2000, 11:40 PM
Hi, guys,

Gun Tests had a real problem with the Hi-Point. They called them all kinds of names about appearance, feel, etc., then had to admit, reluctantly, that they are reliable and reasonably accurate. In other words, they don't have a lot of bells and whistles, don't look pretty, and don't come with 22,000 options, but they work. IMHO, that is pretty important.

Jim

Rivrrat
November 27, 2000, 01:07 AM
I've picked up a few Hi Point handguns and they felt like bricks. I kinda hate to admit this, even though I don't own one I kinda like their carbine. It's as ugly as it gets, but if you shouler one it does have a good feel to it.

Warm Bore
November 27, 2000, 01:15 AM
Have not shot the .45 version but owned the C9 9mm version for about two years. Purchased it as a camp gun. Very fine gun for the money.

Have a friend who recently talked with a rep at MKS Supply. The rep said they have improved the design of the magazine slightly to be more reliable. I can only say the C9 worked flawlessly for the time I had it with the two original mags. The newer mags should improve any reliability issues. Well worth the low-end asking price. And they have a Lifetime NO FAULT unlimited owner warranty. It's really hard to go wrong with their guns at the prices they are asking.

Regards,

Warm Bore

GIT_SOME.45
November 27, 2000, 05:26 AM
HI-POI... :barf: :barf: :barf:

Sorry, I couldn`t even get out the name without :barf: ...

JMNSHO :D

Howard

Shin-Tao
November 27, 2000, 11:22 AM
I have a problem. I have a lot of ammunition in calibres I don't use anymore.

I think I'll pick up a couple Hi-Points so the rounds don't go to waste. 159something a pop sure isn't a big deal.

And they sure are ugly. I'm begining to like ugly guns.

Warm Bore
November 27, 2000, 04:40 PM
Rivrrat,

I pretty much agree with you. I don't much care for the grip on the .45 version. I have smallish hands and the .45 version Hi-Point and all the Glocks feel like a 2x4 in my hand. I did like the ergonomics of the 9C though. Nothing beats a 1911 in my hands except maybe a BHP but the 9C came close. It was a great little gun.

High-Points are fairly under-rated guns IMO. Their red-dot carbine caught my eye at the last gun show. It's one of the lightest carbines I've handled and sorta has a "toyish" feel. It points quite nicely and shoulders well. I plan on getting one as soon as I get some other things out of the way.

Regards,

Warm Bore

mikey357
November 27, 2000, 06:36 PM
Hi-Point, huh ??? I've fired a couple of their "products"...seemed like you'd get what you paid for-NOT MUCH!!! In all seriousness, A friend who's an Officer with a local jurisdiction that has WAY MORE than their fair share of "drug-related" homicides says that the Hi-Points are very popular with the "crack" set. He also said that their carbines are MUCH MORE RELIABLE than the handguns...FWIW. IMHO...I think that I might use 'em for...fishing weights, tomato stakes,...well, you get the idea!!!....mikey357

sox
November 27, 2000, 06:50 PM
Yes, I am a gun snob when it comes to the many POS's out there like this. Sure it will work as did the liberator pistols of long ago, but why would someone even be intrigued by this crap. It looks like crap, feels like junk, this is the kinda s--- that indeed should be banned by those "sat.night special" clauses. Save your money. A slight step up would be the Republic Arms Patriot .45. The patriot still feels a bit cheesy, but the concept is brilliant. Best. While I am on it, the heritage stealth pistols feel cheesy too. They get good write ups, but there is a big difference.

Shin-Tao
November 27, 2000, 07:06 PM
Nice to have some well thought-out replies, guys.

Ever tried one?

sox
November 27, 2000, 07:14 PM
Yeah, I would like to try one. I would like to try and drop it in the biggest pond I could find and see how long it takes to hit bottom.

sox
November 27, 2000, 07:15 PM
Yeah, I would like to try one. I would like to try and drop it in the biggest pond I could find and see how long it takes to hit bottom. Be real.

Shin-Tao
November 27, 2000, 07:34 PM
If you haven't even fired one why would you dane to give an opinion.

If you tried one and it sucked, go on about it and double-post away.

If you haven't, your opinion is less than useless.

James K
November 27, 2000, 08:53 PM
FWIW, I have fired a Hi-Point .45. They are heavy and odd feeling when fired but, as I said above, they work. The excess weight is due to the fact that they are blowback and need a very heavy slide to keep the breech from opening while there is still high pressure in the chamber. Other pistols in .45 are locked breech, recoil operated, and can use a lighter slide, which means a lighter gun.

Jim

Tropical Z
November 27, 2000, 10:04 PM
Shin-Tao ROCKS!!!! Long live the Hi-Point!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

GIT_SOME.45
November 29, 2000, 04:15 AM
:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:
:barf:

Anybody want a recount..? :D

Howard

seadog
December 10, 2000, 11:12 PM
I shot a couple that we were going to melt as destroyed evidence. Seem to work. Durability will suck though. Zinc slides will go eventually. History after about 1000 rounds. Plus they ARE big with the S**T heads so having one will "Brand" you. Don't wanna sound snobbish, but that's fact. Save up and get a Ruger P97 for God's sake....

Neagle
December 30, 2006, 03:59 AM
I have become proficient with the Hi-Point 45 ACP. The blowback system makes this handgun naturally heavy and it takes a bit to get use to. I have fired well over 6000 rounds and the weapon has shown little wear and has proven to be reliable in harsh desert conditions. When I purchased this handgun I did not believe I would become a proponent of it. Drawbacks lie in the clip only holding 9 rounds. Although you may technically void the warranty a well equipped shop can modify the magazine. Hi-Point is not a Glock 21 Mariner but, I would not knock it.:cool:

hdawson228
December 30, 2006, 04:48 AM
My Hi-Point C9 compact shoots flawlessly and accurate too. Ugly to be sure but it is a weapon of death. Any reason it should be a beauty like my SA 1911 in stainless? I can't think of a better gun value. US made and probably the best warranty in the industry. Not an ego stroker. :cool:

jlh26oo
December 30, 2006, 05:04 AM
HI-POI... :barf::barf:

Sorry, I couldn`t even get out the name without ...

Please. Quit being so dramatic. You could have typed it without the vomit icons. Have you ever even owned one? Or are you like most who choose to criticize before actually even SHOOTING a Hi-P:barf: :barf: :barf::barf:

brb

Mal H
December 30, 2006, 10:28 AM
jlh2600 - You do realize you are criticizing a post that is over 6 years old, don't you? In fact that poster hasn't even visited TFL for about 5 years.

Of all the Hi-Point threads that could have been reanimated, I have no idea why Neagle chose this one.

craigmac
December 30, 2006, 10:35 AM
I have the .45 with about 1600 rounds through it without a hitch! Bought it for $149 + tax. They are now going for $239, supply and demand i guess! Its big and ugly, but the guy you may use it against is probably big and ugly too!

I have the 9mm also and it is balls accurate, with about 1800 rounds through it.

Te Anau
December 30, 2006, 04:52 PM
I would pass on it.They are true JUNK guns.
WRONG !!!

NYPost
December 30, 2006, 08:53 PM
While it's funny to see such activity on a thread brought back to life after 6 years... it might be helpful for people who do a search.

Hi Points get A LOT of crap from people who have never been in the precense of one being fired (and from some people who have never even seen one!).

My experience with one (in .45 ACP), it works and is as accurate and troublefree as any out-of-the-box Colt 1911's I've ever used.

That's not saying much, though, because all my Colt 1911's begged to be modified.

auburnboattail
December 30, 2006, 09:20 PM
Have a 45 and 9mm carbine.
They are utility guns for manufactured for a specfic niche.
Inexpensive firepower for use of your choice.
put several rounds through both with no malfunctions.

These guns are like a cheap hammer serves the purpose not too glamerous

Crosshair
December 31, 2006, 02:45 AM
My Hi-Point C9, semi-rapid fire. .WMV file 1.8 MB (http://gra.midco.net/video1/Hi-Point_C9_LowRes.avi)

/Paid $109 for mine
//Yea, the thread is 6 years old, but might as well defend Hi-Points wherever I can.

iowain45-70
December 31, 2006, 04:14 AM
i own the the 45 acp it is ugly but it shoot better then my 1911.it didn't cost a hole lot.real happy with it.

Javelin Man
December 31, 2006, 11:53 AM
How has the Hi-Point quality changed through the years? I handled a steel framed Hi-Point and it felt darn good in my hands, but I hear they were the early model that didn't work well. My polymer frame .45 works great, the grip feels okay in my hand, but not perfect. The quality is good on my gun and it works 100%. Same with my carbine. Obviously not everyone has had the same results, so when did the quality take an upturn?

STAGE 2
December 31, 2006, 06:51 PM
No reason to buy one unless you are completely destitute or you don't want to feel bad about abusing a gun.

hdawson228
December 31, 2006, 08:54 PM
Stage2. I'm sorry you haven't had the excellent performance from Hi-Points that I and many others posting to these threads, have experienced. Maybe your's was one of those infrequent lemons that all manufacturers experience from time to time. Send it back with a description of the problems. They have the most extensive warranty in the industry and they're made here in the good ole USA. :cool:

dave421
January 1, 2007, 03:27 PM
Dawson, don't bother, Stage2 has never owned one. Apparently he's shot them a few times and enjoyed it but apparently one gun jammed with every mag. He doesn't like them or trust them. Please don't try to change his mind.

Let's hope this HP discussion stays civil.

hdawson228
January 1, 2007, 04:03 PM
Dave. Thanks. I know when I bght my SA 1911 in the summer, I had a few, very few, ftb and fte within the first 200 rounds. I know this is not uncommon and not too concerned. However, When I bght my HP C9 at such a low price, I was expecting at least the same degree of malfunctions as on the more expensive and well known product. FACT: At about 600 rounds through the C9 I have yet to have any kind of failure. Functions perfectly and accurately. :cool:

Stage. What can be so bad with a product which functions exactly as designed and expected?

threegun
January 1, 2007, 09:54 PM
They have the most extensive warranty in the industry and they're made here in the good ole USA.

I suspect it is because they get lots of practice. Like Stage I have a less than stellar history with the beloved Hi-Point pistols. The shop I work at stopped carrying them due to problems and complaints. We shipped several guns back to the factory for our customers before finally removing the line from our inventory (except used ones lost in pawn). They are definitely a "get what you pay for" gun.

I might also point out that Dave, bless his heart, sold his because it wasn't reliable enough for him. Just giving you an ole elbow there Dave relax..............and I am grinning bigger than this:D .

hdawson228
January 1, 2007, 10:26 PM
threegun. The shop I use says Hi-Point is the only low cost line he will carry. In fact wishes that the "brand name" lines were as trouble free. However, I can understand dropping a line such as Hi-Point simply because there is not much profit left in a Gun with MSRP of $140, discounted to $129 or even less. I'm sure a $129 reasonably reliable gun, cuts into the sales of more expensive merchandise, thus lowering profit. :cool:

STAGE 2
January 1, 2007, 11:54 PM
Stage2. I'm sorry you haven't had the excellent performance from Hi-Points that I and many others posting to these threads, have experienced. Maybe your's was one of those infrequent lemons that all manufacturers experience from time to time. Send it back with a description of the problems. They have the most extensive warranty in the industry and they're made here in the good ole USA

It wasn't a lemon issue, at least not for 2 of them. I know plenty of people that shoot them, never clean them, and they function decently. The issue for me is that they are as bare bones as you can get, not well balanced, and built for the lowest bidder.

I don't have all the time in the world to shoot, so when I do I like to make it an enjoyable experience as well as get the most practice I can. As a result I don't have any room in my collection for something that isn't nearly as acurate as what I'm used to shooting nor nearly as enjoyable to shoot.

I've never said no one should buy a hi-point. I just don't think its suitable for serious work, home defense, or anything you would stake your life on. Some here like to poo poo the fact that professionals don't use this gun, but I think its very telling that those who risk their lives every day do it with glocks, sigs, hk's, colts, S&W's, and even taurus. But not hi-point.

hdawson228
January 2, 2007, 12:26 AM
Stage2. Bare bones? Yes. Lowest bidder, again, yes. Balance in MY hand is fine with the HP C9. I haven't tried anyother models.

Usually when I go to the range I'm shooting both my SA 1911 and my Hi-Point. Such as my groups go, the HP is just a little wider pattern. Noticeable, but not to a meaningful degree. While my shot patterns are deadly out to 25 yds, with either, I'm no championship marksman.

If I was a public service person, with someone else paying for my equipment, I too would probably pick the industry's best, costing much much more.

Still not a single failure of any kind with the HP. Functions exactly as designed and better than expected. :cool:

John

threegun
January 2, 2007, 07:07 AM
Hdawson,

threegun. The shop I use says Hi-Point is the only low cost line he will carry. In fact wishes that the "brand name" lines were as trouble free.

Hellava salesman there at the shop you use. I would bet my Glocks that he doesn't carry a Hi Point for his self defense. The point is salesman are known to say what needs to be said to sell product. BTW We used to sell Raven's, Lorcin's, Davis's, Jennings's, Pheonix arms, and lastly Hi Point........they all were virtually the same. When new most worked fine although they had higher failure rates than premium brands. Once you begin to really use them they drop like lead balloons breaking down at a much much higher rate than premium brands.

We didn't stop selling Hi Point because of profit our percentages were higher with it than most new guns. The gun was simply the source of to much trouble for that profit. Now try selling a gun to a man who needs self protection. When he asks how good they are and you have shipped several back to the factory for repair. What do you say? I started saying you get what you pay for...........and that doesn't sell pistols very well. We could have continued to sell them. We could hype them like other shops do despite our experience with them. We chose to remove them and force our customers to either upgrade or go else ware. We extended our lawaway to seven months to accomodate our lowerer income customers.

What I find funny is how everyone hypes the Hi Point as great yet they rely on other weapons for self defense.

jlh26oo
January 2, 2007, 07:33 AM
How often are you guys jumping into all these "which handgun to get" threads in order to recommend a hi-point? I should see such recommendations in your posting history, not just in HP dedicated threads, but also in threads looking for suggestions.

Seems like the "brand name" fans leap at the chance to push their flavor of choice in those kinds of threads. I guess the reason I'm not finding similarly strong endorsements is b/c you hi pointers are just more laid back?

I mean, if we are to the point where Hi Points are now the standard by which we judge brand name reliability, you'd think regardless of budget, you'd be recommending one!

:D

threegun
January 2, 2007, 08:52 AM
Jlh, They will cry gun snob on this one watch. There is no other answer to the question posed other than because they know the Hi Point cannot perform at the level of the others.

If I had a choice between a HP and no gun at all.......thats the kind of gun it is. No professional uses them except in deep cover (according to a fellow poster). It is the best "if thats all you can afford gun" however.

hdawson228
January 2, 2007, 10:00 AM
jlh. If you will bother, I post pretty regularily on the Springfield board praising my SA 1911. Most recently the one about someone asking for help in choosing between Springfield and Kimber. It should be on this first page. It's both praise and suggestions. Thank you.

John:cool:

Sorry. Thread title is something like what does "Loaded" mean, or something like that.

BTW. I had my Springer first. I was intrigued reading serveral threads about the controversy between those that owned, used and were satisfied with the Hi-Point and those that mostly never owned one, that were so adamant that they were pure junk. I also read the board dedicated to Hi-Points. Just how bad can that gun be with so many advocates? Well, I got my C9 to find out for myself. At $129, it was not much of an expense. I had had no real interest in 9mm or plastic guns.

hdawson228
January 2, 2007, 10:38 AM
threegun. No snob here. I cruise alot and one time it might be Celebrity and the next Carnival. So often the Carnival loyalist claim Celebrity cruisers as snobs. Kind of funny if you think about it. :cool:

dave421
January 2, 2007, 04:11 PM
jlh, I'm sure I'm one of the people that you're referring to. I will recommend a HP all day long to someone looking for a gun on a low budget. That's exactly why my roommate carries one. If someone has a higher budget, I'm going to recommend something nicer like a Glock or the XD that I carry. It's not because of reliability although I do believe that there are other guns out there with a higher probability of reliability straight out of the box. Facts are that if someone is willing to spread the feed lips on the mags and maybe polish the feed ramp, HPs tend to be very reliable. For that matter, it seems that most of the HPs that have been bought in the past 5-6 months seem to be completely trouble free (and the HPs that aren't "reliable" typically only have a problem with 1 or 2 brands of ammo). My biggest reason for other recommendations have to do with other aspects of the gun. I hate the grips because I sweat when I fire a lot and I found (and others as well) that they became too slick when I went to the range. There is very little in the way of aftermarket support for them (there are only 2 holsters made for them). They aren't the most balanced weapon out there. They're a bit blocky and MORE difficult to conceal (although I've made several IWB holsters for them that allows them to be concealed with a variety of body types but there are easier choices out there). The mag release is too long and can be hit accidently when worn with the myriad of nylon IWB holsters (the reason that I actually made some kydex IWB holsters for them). And then, I think they're butt ugly (even worse than Glocks or my XD :) ).

BUT, what it boils down to is that the guns work very well the majority of the time. If not, the owner simply needs to take advantage of one of the best (THE best?) warranties in the business or take 30 minutes of their own time. The blowback design with the heavy slide seems to make recoil "lighter" than many other guns. The price can't be beat. I also found my old C9 capable of MUCH more accuracy than I was. I was shooting 2.5" groups at 15 yards with it when I was shooting 4.5" groups with Glocks and XDs (the HP was my first handgun and it had been about 10 years since I had fired one, I was pretty awful for the first month or so. I had gotten down to about 1.75" when I sold it and bought my first XD).

Perhaps the question you SHOULD have posted was "Why do you guys that have never OWNED or even FIRED a HP feel the need to post in every HP topic". As I stated before, I do recommend other guns and the HP depending on what the person is looking for. You also won't find me recommending revolvers (I don't like them as they ALWAYS feel strange to me). You won't find me recommending Sigmas because in my experience they have one of the worst triggers I've ever felt. You won't find me recommending Taurus because of all of the horror stories I've heard with their customer service and warranty issues on 24/7s and others (personal friends, not internet BS). I won't recommend any USED 1911s because of all the people out there modifying them to the point where they're unsafe (safety malfunctions, 2lb. triggers, other crappy abundant aftermarket add ons). And there are others as well.

What you will find is that whenever a post is made about ANY gun, owners will respond. Just like posts about Glock KBs, you'll also have a bunch of people with no experience talking out of their butts about them. In both cases, the actual owners will post defending their gun. If the ignorant people didn't post in HP threads (like most of the original posts in this thread) then HP threads wouldn't be half as long. Unfortunately, this is the internet and everyone is an "expert".

Oh yeah, and for those wondering about threeguns' comment, I did sell my HP because it would not feed WWB (2 failures in 400 rounds) and I wanted something that would feed anything I could get my hands on. At the time, I could only afford one gun and wanted the cheapest ammo I could find. That's changed and I'm actually going to go look at HPs again next week with my buddy who is wanting to pick one up because he liked mine so much and has read so many good things about them from OWNERS.

STAGE 2
January 2, 2007, 06:25 PM
If I was a public service person, with someone else paying for my equipment, I too would probably pick the industry's best, costing much much more.

My point exactly. I think everyone here feels that their life is worth more than 130 bucks.

Whats more telling are those who arent issued a weapon and have to purchase one one for themselves.

I'm glad you enjoy yours and a bad day of shooting is always better than a good day at work. That said, when things go bump in the night I have a feeling that you'd rather have your SA1911 than your hi-point.

JR47
January 2, 2007, 06:46 PM
threegun and stage2 appear to cruise the forums attacking anyone with the temerity to not hate a High Point pistol. In the last thread, now closed, one had tried three, and one was unreliable, so the entire line was panned. Also, one required 100% reliability with all factory ammo, except his Seecamp. Go figure. We were also treated to a number of useless "facts", many of which were opinions. Now we hear the same crap, again.

I pointed out that a shop near me doesn't sell Glocks, he dropped the whole line. Yet, to them, that is different than dropping the HP line. Other local shops order them in groups of 25, and never seem to have any problem with them.

Face it, the High Point is a bare bones pistol. It's obviously reliable, as every thread about them has many more positives posts than negative. They are accurate, as posted numerous times, with pictures, on this Board. They are easy to manipulate, as well. Let us see, hmmmm, bare bones, accurate, reliable........sounds like a .38 revolver, doesn't it? Only the HP comes in more powerful calibers.

Not everyone can afford to spend money on a higher-priced alternative. As a home-defense weapon, it doesn't need to conceal. Even some of the posters do carry as CCW, and one even offered to make the doubters a holster. If you actually take the HP and set it beside several of the alternatives, it's not that much bigger. It's just the same as the cretins who bash Ruger for being so heavy and bulky, then realize that their S&W 686 is bigger, and weighs more.

The HP isn't for everyone, but that doesn't mean that it won't work. Should you be able to possess a high-end pistol, more power to you. However, don't try to justify your choice at the expense of another.

As far as recommending a High Point, when did that become a sign of success? I rarely recommend weapons unless it's to open up a discussion. I happen to like Walther PPKs, but I don't jump into every discussion by pointing out imagined failures of the weapon being considered, and champion the PPK. According to the goofy logic portrayed here, that should mean that I really don't consider my choice a "reliable one". Please, give us a break, here.

hdawson228
January 3, 2007, 01:37 AM
Some have mentioned the weight of HPs being too heavy. HP's 45, 4 1/2 inch, polymer gun is 6 oz less weight than my SA 1911 5 inch. My HP C9 compact, 3 1/2 inch is about 12 oz less than my 5" SA 1911 SS. Weight? Not in my book. :cool:

gandog56
January 3, 2007, 03:02 AM
Bid $70 on one at an online auction for a joke and WON the damn thing. Took it apart and really cleaned some old impacted gunk out. The thing is half plastic but felt like it weighed 20 pounds. Took it to the range and using Winchester White Box 230 hard ball, had at the MINIMUM of one misfeed per magazine. :barf: Gave it to my little brother and told him to use it as a single shot, and got me an SA 1911A1 GI.

jlh26oo
January 3, 2007, 03:17 AM
Ah, just for clarification- you juxtaposed your puking icon with your SA1911. Did you mean to puke the hi point or the springfield?

Thank you.

gandog56
January 3, 2007, 03:21 AM
Fixed:)

jlh26oo
January 3, 2007, 03:32 AM
Thanks.

threegun
January 3, 2007, 06:01 AM
In the past the shop I work use to sell Lorcin L9MM's. We sold them faster than Hi Points and they didn't have half the returns. Not to say that I prefer them over a Hi Point or any other budget gun. Anyway both appeared to be build of similar material and both had very similar breakdown and mechanical design. A former coworker who opened his own gunshop used to sell both like hotcakes. Being located in a flea market the low cost for a new gun was a magical combination. According to him he never had a single return despite selling hundreds of Lorcin and Hi Point's. The point was used as a selling ploy every weekend. Then one day a disgruntled employee uses one of the L9MM's sold by my friend to kill 5 coworkers. It was reported by eye witnesses that the gunman had to cycle the slide after every shot. My friends gun shop had to close (long story but the ATF tried to bust him on a technical violation for not getting copy's of the gunman's proof of Florida residency.........which my friend proved in court that the gunman had and was found not guilty). he has since come back to work with us. He has now had a minimum of 4 (while I was there) people come in and see him and complain about the P.O.S. they bought 2 HP's and 2 L9MM's. Sometimes you just can't go by the lack of returns because many people don't shoot much especially those with a lower budget.

You guys ask why I try to sway people from these budgets guns and the answer is because much of what I have seen and heard (from customers) goes against what is being pushed here.

threegun
January 3, 2007, 06:38 AM
JR47,

About my experience with the Hi Point. I have fired them. I broke them down and replaced parts. I broke them down to show customers how to do it. Just how much more intimate do I have to get with a gun to be considered qualified by JR to comment on it?

Whether or not you consider our shops decision to stop selling them relevant doesn't change it from a fact to an opinion.

You keep saying that Stage and I are attacking Hi Point owners and that is simply false. We are simply giving a different view with our own experiences. I believe that both of us have stated that with the Hi Point you get what you pay for.........not much money not much gun. I sold them and many didn't come back.....some did. I have seen them shot and shot them mostly without jams......but more did jam than function flawlessly. The bottom line is that I can omit the bad things and the HP looks like its as good as an XD which it isn't even close. This is why people need to know the whole story not just one side.........your side.

Question Why do Hi Point supporters virtually 100 percent carry something other than a HP?

hdawson228
January 3, 2007, 07:22 AM
Threegun. I own, Springfield 1911 45, S&W 22L, Armscor 38 Spl 2" and my HP Compact 9mm. All have functioned without fail, just as designed and expected. Except, the .38 snubbie beats the hell out of my hand to the point that it just ain't no fun at all. From what I read on the boards, not just this one, most people have a collection of various brands and designs. Why should Hi-Point owners be any different. I had the Springfield before having the Hi-Point. I too am only reporting my personal experience from shooting mine. :cool:

threegun
January 3, 2007, 10:27 AM
I doubt that the HP would be your first or second selection if a confrontation was coming and all you had were the handguns you listed. My point is why if the HP is so good?

hdawson228
January 3, 2007, 12:05 PM
Threegun. Maybe this sounds weird to you but, I reach for the one closest to me at the time. Presently, in my computer den, ;) , the HP is next to me. In the bedroom, next to the bed is my SA 1911. Both loaded with jhp. Are you suggesting I should do something different? Admit, I'm not a know-it-all. Actually, the SA is loaded with a 7 rd mag and the HP is loaded with a
ten rd mag. I'm open for your suggestions. :D

JR47
January 3, 2007, 12:51 PM
About my experience with the Hi Point. I have fired them. I broke them down and replaced parts. I broke them down to show customers how to do it. Just how much more intimate do I have to get with a gun to be considered qualified by JR to comment on it?

Read my post again, and please show me where I said anything about you and your particular experience. In fact, it was Stage2 who posted this:
There are plenty of instances of spotty reliability. Between the 3 that I've shot, 2 were fine and 1 had a problem with every single mag. Thats 66%. Many other owners have reported them being fine, and many others have had problems.

Try not to put words in my mouth, sir. The fact that any one shop does anything isn't factual in the context of how a line of weapons is received by the public. The shop that I used, and worked at, would sell you just about anything that you wanted. If you didn't have a clue, we'd make suggestions. Damning an entire line of firearms is poor business, especially when it's obvious that most work quite well.

I sold them and many didn't come back.....some did. I have seen them shot and shot them mostly without jams......but more did jam than function flawlessly. The bottom line is that I can omit the bad things and the HP looks like its as good as an XD which it isn't even close. This is why people need to know the whole story not just one side.........your side.

Let's look at that quote, shall we? "Many didn't come back, but SOME did". Some doesn't indicate the majority, or even parity. So HOW MANY of those you sold came back? 10%? More? Less?

" I have seen them shot and shot them MOSTLY without jams........but more did jam than function flawlessly". How can more jam when MOSTLY, your word, functioned without jams?

That is why some of us take exception to the biased view, and bogus facts, that are posted against the pistol.

You are right about one thing, though, I usually carry a Kel-Tec P-32 as a CCW at this point. With the casual dress around here, the Kel-Tec is always concealable, while larger, heavier, weapons aren't. Is this a slam against Colt, Glock, Sig, HK, Taurus, or Seecamp? Maybe Beretta, Korth, or High Point? Under your narrow view, it would be.

I agree with hdawson228. We keep several loaded pistols in our house. No children, or nosy neighbors. Because I don't own six or eight identical weapons of any type, they vary according to what I have handy. The HP is sometimes in that mix.

I have never said, and you can check the posts, that the High Point pistol is perfect, or even close to perfect. I stated on multiple occasions that the pistol is a bare bones, but generally reliable, and accurate alternative for those who cannot afford more. It isn't, after all these posts, the jammamatic that three or four of you claim, except in your opinions. Many more have posted that theirs have been anything but, so there must be a disconnect between what the three or four of you have supposedly encountered, and the vast majority of the other owners.

Why, pray tell, do you feel that the crusade to condemn the weapons as unreliable, in the face of qverwhelming evidence to the contrary, is MY view? Using your own criteria, unless you dismiss the testimony of real High Point owners as unreliable, the weapons are far from the poor opinions that you have of them.

The last thread, now closed, might be a valuable primer for those who have questions about the High Point and a small groups vocal opposition to it. It will also show how definitions can be wrong, and perceptions become stronger than truth. It is also rife with positive postings about the weapons. :)

STAGE 2
January 3, 2007, 06:10 PM
Why, pray tell, do you feel that the crusade to condemn the weapons as unreliable, in the face of qverwhelming evidence to the contrary, is MY view? Using your own criteria, unless you dismiss the testimony of real High Point owners as unreliable, the weapons are far from the poor opinions that you have of them.

I'm not quite sure what you are saying here, but in this thread, the other one, and all of the rest of the hi-point threads on this board and others there is usually a 50/50 split as far as reliability goes.

I don't consider 50/50 reliable in the slightest. Every manufacturer is entitled to a lemon, but there is a certian percentage that once you cross you can't claim to produce a reliable weapon. I have no doubt that there are certian hi-points that work without a hitch. I also know that there are others frought with problems.

Some here will no doubt allude to the "stellar" waranty that hi-point has. This is very troubling to me for several reasons. First, I don't know whether this warranty was created just because, or that it was a good decision based on a cost benefit analysis given that the guns are so cheap to produce. Second, plenty other firearms manufacturers have a lifetime warranty, they are rarely used however. The "we'll fix it for free no matter what" syndrome seems like it gives them some wiggle room in the QC department, which appears to be the case given the large number of problems people have written about.

As always, your money your choice. Just trying to make it an informed one.

Bud Helms
January 3, 2007, 06:40 PM
Enough. Enough. Enough. I have no idea why i let this thread go on. Sometimes we keep hoping a sanity bolt will strike.

Brand bashing. Brand wars. What for? One post is enough to state your opinion.

Closed.