PDA

View Full Version : Is The MR9 An EXACT Copy of The P99?

Mercenary
January 28, 2012, 12:05 PM
I've been looking at the P99 AS by Walther, but recently I was told to look at the Magnum Research MR9 as it was a P99 clone. Well, it looks to be the part an I like the stainless slide better on the MR9. But is it an EXACT copy of the P99 or more of a knock off?? If I get the MR9, will I lose out on some quality.

sigarms228
January 28, 2012, 12:44 PM
My understanding is that the frame is made by Walther but the slide is not and could be different in any number of ways.

Myself I would stay with Walther - not saying there is anything wrong with the Magnum Research MR9 but I know the Walther P99 AS is rock solid and incredibly accurate and all German made that comes with a factory fired test target.

Water-Man
January 28, 2012, 01:43 PM
I believe the magazine is different as well.

balance
January 28, 2012, 02:27 PM
I'm pretty sure the information in this link is correct:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/07/11/magnum-research-mr9-mr40-eagle-%E2%80%9Cfast-action%E2%80%9D-pistol-walther-p99-clone/

So it is not an exact clone, but a licensed copy which uses a Walther-made frame, with a Magnum Research slide and barrel. The MR9 uses a different steel for the slide and barrel, as the P99's slide and barrel are both carbon steel. Mags should be interchangeable between the P99 and MR9, and both factory mags are made by Mec-Gar.

I don't have a reason to doubt that the MR9 is a good pistol, but I'd go with the Walther. With the recent price decrease on P99 pistols, I believe you can find P99s cheaper than MR9s, and the P99 has a 15 year track record while I've seen VERY few reviews or reports of how these MR9s are doing.

Martowski
January 29, 2012, 12:22 AM
I looked at both the P99AS and the MR9 today after shooting my PPQ; just had some time to burn after using the range and was walking through the shop.

Trigger pulls were identical in feel and break. Actually, I preferred how the MR9 felt in my hand more than the P99. P99 felt more flat on the side of the grip whereas the MR9 felt a little more sculpted.

Don't get me wrong; I'm still keeping my PPQ, but the MR9 looked like a very nice pistol.

Fishbed77
January 29, 2012, 02:31 AM
I believe the magazine is different as well.

The Magnum Research magazine is NOT different from the Walther P99 magazine, other than the name on the baseplate. They are otherwise identical and both are made by Mec-Gar. I own a P99AS, and the Walther and MR magazines are interchangeable.

Water-Man
January 29, 2012, 11:01 AM
Didn't say they were not interchangeable. I said I thought they were different. Meaning not made by the same company.

carguychris
January 29, 2012, 11:07 AM
If you're looking for a lower-priced alternative to the Walther, look for a gently used S&W SW99.

This gun was an American-built, slightly restyled P99 that was discontinued when S&W decided to concentrate on the M&P. AFAIK the P99 and SW99 are so much alike that most parts will interchange, but the S&W generally has much lower resale value, despite being functionally equivalent and being supported by the same customer service department (S&W is Walther's US distributor and services Walther pistols in the USA).