PDA

View Full Version : 1911-A1 Repro Grips

Dino.
January 27, 2012, 02:36 PM
Is it possible to somehow "age" 1911-A1 plastic grips?
Not looking to sand, scratch, or bang em up to make them look "relic".

I'd just like to know if there's something I can do to knock some of the "gloss" off to give the finish a more "matte" appearance. I'm thinking some sort of chemical to get into the checkering as opposed to sanding.

saemetric
January 27, 2012, 02:47 PM
Hardware stores or auto paint stores sell a spray to"deshine" paint. Its like a spray acetone that you spray on and then quickly air dry. It slightly dulls the finish.

Dino.
January 27, 2012, 02:59 PM
Thanks saemetric.

I am aware of matte clears, but I'm not trying to add a finish.
I just want to change the appearance of the finish that's there.
Acetone just may do the trick! :)

tmlynch
January 27, 2012, 06:40 PM
I once got some carb cleaner on the plastic scales of a Swiss Army knife, and it dulled the shine pretty well.

Good luck!
Tom Lynch

Chris_B
January 27, 2012, 06:50 PM
I'm thinking that if you put masking tape on the backs, and tumble them in a tumbler filled with walnut shell, you'd be happier with the result than you'd get by a chemical

webbee
February 3, 2012, 06:35 AM
A paste of baking soda and water applied with a tooth brush might make a more controled dulling of the plastic. Easier water clean-up and no chemical interaction.

Don P
February 3, 2012, 07:53 AM
I'm thinking that if you put masking tape on the backs, and tumble them in a tumbler filled with walnut shell, you'd be happier with the result than you'd get by a chemical

Best suggestion yet and there is always the option of changing the grips out.

cplane
February 5, 2012, 02:31 PM
Just my 2 cents, But some white(very fine) scotch bright or red scotchbright might be safer than chemicals and can be undone if you don't like it.

Hawg
February 5, 2012, 02:37 PM
Why not go on ebay and get some cheap wood grips? They'd be easier to work than plastic.

Chris_B
February 6, 2012, 12:50 PM
Hawg, wood ones technically wouldn't be correct for a 1911A1 :)

gyvel
February 6, 2012, 01:12 PM
Then go on eBay and get cheap set of used WWII plastic grips. They will be already pre-aged for you.

Dino.
February 6, 2012, 01:18 PM
Bought a cheap pair of plastic grips on eBay that I didn't particularly care for.
I've since found a nice pair of WWII bakelite grips on GunBroker, aged but very little wear. Perfect. :)

Thanks guys.