PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Nagant!?

parkerd
January 24, 2012, 09:24 PM
Well I got Christmas money still left over and for those who read my AR thread I decided I probably wont be shooting past 150yards which is fine with me. Anyways I was looking through the J&G Sales ad and came across the M91/30 Comes with bayonet and some other accessories is 7.62x54R all for the huge price of 79.95$ (Pun intended).. And a Monte Carlo stock costs 59.99$ My only concern is how bad is the recoil on it? I have shot my .280 and my 12GA which I shoot for pleasure alot of times lol. Does anyone have any expeirence with them any pros/cons??

Thanks,Parker

Tempest 455
January 24, 2012, 09:29 PM
Recoil is less than a 12 ga w/ a slug.

Chris_B
January 24, 2012, 09:42 PM
I'd say surprising recoil to me, given the shape of the stock. Not painful or too much, but more than I expected. I' rather shoot that for an hour than my Dad's trapdoor 45-70

The recoil wasn't a problem...but the crappy long trigger was, at least to me

stu925
January 24, 2012, 10:08 PM
Recoil isn't bad except if you shoot it off the bench, I use a PAST magnum recoil shield if I'm shooting off the bench with mine, the steel buttplate on the factory stock can do a pretty good number on your shoulder off the bench. Off hand and shooting from field positions it's not bad at all.

Stu

seansean1444
January 24, 2012, 10:12 PM
very manageable coming from a 140lb 18 yr old:D

Mr_Raw
January 24, 2012, 10:13 PM
Make sure you have a long enough cleaning rod 36"+, trigger pull is standard for a service rifle, and when using Lacquered cases the bolt tends to stick, so you might have to give it a kick.

Beyond that it is a fun rifle to shoot.

parkerd
January 24, 2012, 10:16 PM
Thanks guys! Will probably order this from them soon! Along with the monte carlo stock make it look like more of sporterized rifle.. I was really worried about the recoil but now that I know it's less than a 12GA I really wanna buy it!!!

Thanks,Parker

Mosinka
January 24, 2012, 11:09 PM
The Mosin-Nagant M91/30 is a fun rifle to shoot. I have a few, and I have some of the shorter Mosins. It's an easy gun to fall in love with. The history of the Mosin-Nagant is rich, and it's a rugged rifle with great out-of-the box accuracy (as it should have with a 28½ in barrel). I love the iron sights on those Russian style guns, like the Mosin and SKS. Oh, and ammo is dirt cheap right now. Most of the 91/30's being sold right now are WWII vintage (1938-1944 stamped on the reciever). Buy one. You won't regret it. If you like it a lot, look around for an M38 or M91/59 or M44.

Oh, the recoil. Right. The M91/30 is pretty hefty, so the recoil, while significant, is manageable even for a little guy like me (5'2" 125#). I've seen videos of 7 year olds shooting them. The recoil is less than a 30-06 to be sure, and less than a 12 gauge. Pretty close to a .308 bolt action rifle. Maybe even a hair less recoil than the .308, even though the 7.62x54R is slightly large. The Mosin weighs more than the average domestic .308 rifle.

A friend of mine put his Mosin on the couch so that they could watch "Enemy At The Gates" together.

I took another friend shooting who had never held a gun in his hand. His first rifle experience was one of my M91/30's. He loved it.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinHumor.htm

Newton24b
January 24, 2012, 11:33 PM
they are nice little guns. and depending on the boreof the weapon you actually end up, you may have to reload for it yourself. actually if you dont want to get surplus ammo you should be reloading for it.

they have mass to them. its like the not so polite saying "more padding for the pushing is always good".recoil when shooting correctly with sling wrapped around off arm it like a remington 770 in 243 win. sling around arm, using a good kneeling stance its like a 30-30.

Bamashooter
January 25, 2012, 12:12 AM
I have 3. One 91/30. One 91/59 carbine. One Hungarian M-44. In my experience the carbines are the ones that kick like a mule. Like others have said, they are fun guns, the ammo is cheap and a little trigger time as with any gun and you are its master. I killed a doe 3-4 yrs. ago with my M44 using S&B 174GR. ammo at nearly 300yrds. Amazing amount of destruction to the exit wound shoulder. Awesome rifle for the price. Enjoy. :)

cbuck
January 25, 2012, 12:17 AM
recoil is managable for sure and im 90% sure by going to the monte carlo stock the butt on it will reduce some of the felt recoil compared to the steal plate on the back of the original stock

zombieslayer
January 25, 2012, 01:00 AM
I feel like for the money, every gun enthusiast should at least have one mosin nagant! :D

Irish B
January 25, 2012, 01:30 AM
The recoil is sharper than your average .3 something rifle with surplus ammo. A little meaner with the 200 gr hunting ammo but not too bad. I have the ati stock and while it does come with a butt pad it's a considerably lighter stock. It almost feels like the gun kicks more with the new stock due to not having that mass to absorb the kick. My mosin sniper rifle is my favorite rifle hat I've owned. It's a blast to shoot. Although I have a love hate relationship with cosmoline.

Mosinka
January 25, 2012, 01:49 AM
I like what Bamashooter and zombieslayer said.

And let's face it: For $80, even if all you do is mount it on the wall as a handsome historical relic, it beats the living hell out of a painting of Elvis on black velvet, don't you think?

parkerd
January 25, 2012, 08:54 AM
I see alot of people compllaining about cosmoline!? What exactly is that? What does it do to the actual gun? I hear it's a pain in the butt?! Could ya'll enlighten me on what it is?!

Thanks,Parker

Mosinka
January 25, 2012, 09:28 AM
Cosmoline is a brownish, greasy, waxy rust preventative that has been used to preserve rifles such as the Mosin-Nagant, SKS, etcetera. The good news is that it protects metal parts from rusting with great efficiency. The bad news is that it can be a bitch to remove. With time it becomes increasingly waxy and difficult to wipe off. I bought one Yugoslavian SKS so heavily loaded with Cosmoline that you could barely pull the bolt open. Best options seem to be mineral spirits, kerosene and heat.

parkerd
January 25, 2012, 11:25 AM
So if it comes where I can operate the bolt pretty well should the cosmoline come off like a heated liquid? Is it best just to strip it and clean out all the innards?

tobnpr
January 25, 2012, 12:17 PM
You need to remove the barreled action from the rifle, and strip it down completely- including disassembling the bolt.

Brake cleaner and mineral spirits work well in softening/dissolving cosmoline. Pay particular attention to the chamber, as this is the hardest area to "get to" and is what will cause the bolt to stick if all of the cosmoline is not removed.

Bamashooter
January 25, 2012, 04:06 PM
When I bought my 91/59 it had been in the gunshop hanging on the wall for quite some time and the cosmolene had mixed with dust. I sat at the dining room table and cleaned that rifle for nearly 4 hours until it was void of all cosmoline and it looked like a new rifle. I used a 20ga. brush on a drill to clean the chamber because sometimes the cosmoline can dry out inside the chamber and heat up when you fire it and cause cases to stick. All I used to clean it was hoppes and I nearly used a whole bottle. There are faster ways but I wasnt in a hurry. Its not a big deal, just break it down as far as you can and clean the crap out of it. I would check the chamber as well if I were you and make sure it is void of dried cosmoline.

BigMikey76
January 25, 2012, 04:28 PM
Haven't had to clean one yet, but they sure are fun to shoot. I fired the Mosin and a .270 back to back, and I didn't really notice a difference in recoil. Both were quite manageable.

Chris_B
January 25, 2012, 05:32 PM
trigger pull is standard for a service rifle,

:) Respectfully, do you really think so? The trigger 'weight' was not an issue for me; rather it was the long, less than smooth pull that felt like it was hinged above the receiver. This was on a documented sniper model

My frame of reference may be skewed for service rifles; I have only ever fired a USGI M1903A3, M1 rifle, M1A1 carbine and M1 carbine, an original Springfield trapdoor, and a Wehrmacht K98 in terms of service rifles. Maybe I am just used to smooth USGI triggers on service rifles? All kidding aside, I find the trigger on a rifle like the 03A3 or M1 rifle or carbine to be quite smooth and crisp. Comparing that the the Moisin...I was appalled by the Soviet rifle's trigger, all the more so because it was a 1891/30 PU with papers.

Old 454
January 25, 2012, 06:39 PM
The Mosin is a darn good rifle for the money....where else can you get a high power rifle with all the history for about 100 bucks that are in decent to very good shape!

My sons all have them and I bought my first one last week end and found a real nice Izhevsk arsonal with a date of 1905r.

all the ones I have seen have been rearsonaled after WW2 and they are in nice shape with good barrels.

Just check to make sure the barrel has not been counter boarded.

Also if you are going to buy localy from your LGS check them all and look for any that have the SA marking on them. Thats a finnish rifle and a little bettor quality or if you see one that has a Remington or Westinghouse on it grab it...there getting very hard to find and once inawhile one will fall through the cracks and you get a good collectors item!

Heavy Metal 1
January 25, 2012, 10:05 PM
If the trigger bothers you install a Huber trigger or there are directions on the net on how to smooth & lighten the trigger. I have a Huber on my 91/30 & it's crisp as can be. I reworked my M44 myself per internet directions and it's smooth as can be. And no, you won't get that how to info from me. It's out there; search for it.

Yung.gunr
January 25, 2012, 11:08 PM
I bought one for me and one for my Dad. We both really like them.

I would say the recoil is somewhat compared to a 12 ga. But, it is different. I feel a 12ga is more of a hard push, whereas the Mosin is a sharp slam.
It is definitely managable, get a nice recoil pad and it makes it pretty fun to shoot.

Regarding the cosmoline.....
Get a big pot that you are not going to use again and get water boiling fast and drop all your small parts in there. I put em on a metal coat hanger to make it easy to get out. Simple Green from Wal-Mart or wherever also works good to get the cosmoline off. I like it because it's not as nasty as brake cleaner but still does a good job. Nice coat of synthetic motor oil on it after and you are good to go. Just be sure to have a ton of rags before starting the cleaning.

Some guys use a shotgun brush for the chamber. I just used cotton swabs and a rag on my pinky and got the cosmoline out of the chamber. No more dreaded sticky bolt.

Be sure to watch a YouTube video on how to disassemble the bolt so you can boil, oil & put it back together.

gyvel
January 25, 2012, 11:16 PM
Parkerd, the only problem with ordering from J&G is that you are going to get what the stock boy pulls from the shelf without regard to bore condition or anything else. Personally, I would look around and pay a little more for a rifle that I could examine in person and, in particular, check the bore of.

When you order from J&G, it's a crap shoot.

Yung.gunr
January 25, 2012, 11:19 PM
Oh... I almost forgot. If you don't already know 7.62x54r.net has tons of great info on these fun old rifles.

ccSnoopycc
January 25, 2012, 11:21 PM
Mosin Nagants are very fun extremely cheap rifles. Recoil, to me, is similar to a 30.06 but will probably be tamer in a more ergonomic aftermarket stock. Since you are sportarizing it here are a few suggestions I would recommend looking into.

A good aftermarket recoil pad. (A Pachmayr premium pad for example)
A Timney Trigger (These are awesome!!! Best triggers I have ever found)
A possible barrel porting (I think it may help with the kick but will increase sound)
A good sling cause the rifle barrel and receiver/action is heavy even without the wooden stock (probably due to the long barrel)
Surplus stripper clips (The aftermarket Chinese ones are junk)

Good luck and have fun these rifles are very neat and easy to customize (as far as war rifles go)

ccSnoopycc
January 25, 2012, 11:39 PM
Oh and one more thing Silver Bear (sold and J & G) makes 203gr (or similar grain) SP 7.62x54r rounds that work very well for hunting.

Bamashooter
January 25, 2012, 11:40 PM
Ordering from JG Sales might be a crapshoot but the last 91/30 I got from them was a 1929 hex all matching numbers and its a great shooter. I dont think they intentionally send out crap. You can also pay extra for a premium pick. I used mine after halloween to shoot pumpkins. They were set up at 75yrds. and we were exploding them with every shot. My son is 13 and he was even shooting the mosin and had a blast.

Cumminspwrd02
January 25, 2012, 11:43 PM
Parkerd, look around your local gun shop or a cabelas if you have one near you for a Mosin. I think the last ad I saw for cabelas they wanted $99 for the rifle and the accessories. My local gun shop has been selling Mosin 91/30's for $99 for a while now, they has several crates of them on the shop floor and allow buys to look through them. I bought my second 91/30 last summer from the local shop, I went through about 15 or 20 gun before i found the one i wanted. Still thinking about buying another next time I go into my local gun shop...

Cheapshooter
January 26, 2012, 12:03 AM
Thanks guys! Will probably order this from them soon! Along with the monte carlo stock make it look like more of sporterized rifle.. I was really worried about the recoil but now that I know it's less than a 12GA I really wanna buy it!!!

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/vomit-boy01-vomit-puke-sick-smiley-emoticon-000652-large.gif

Just leave it alone, and enjoy shooting it! The recoil is nothing to worry about as long as you know how to hold the rifle properly, and concentrate on doing so. Get sloppy, get bruised!

What do you have when you put $300 worth of parts on a $100 rifle?
Answer: A $100 rifle with $300 worth of unnecessary Parts.
If you want a sporting rifle, similar in power, spend the $400 on a used 30-06.

91-30 Tula Hex
91-30 Ishy round
91-59 Ishy
M44 Hungarian

Rangefinder
January 26, 2012, 12:21 AM
Generally, if you luck out, they're great shooters in the 2-3 MOA range with cheap ammo and most people are tickled to go have fun with these on the cheap. Then you can occasionally get really lucky and find one that really shines--that would be the one I spent years finding. It's a 1938 Izzy 91/30 that holds clover-leaf groups all day long with my reloads.

tobnpr
January 26, 2012, 09:19 AM
What do you have when you put $300 worth of parts on a $100 rifle?
Answer: A $100 rifle with $300 worth of unnecessary Parts.
If you want a sporting rifle, similar in power, spend the $400 on a used 30-06.

I disagree, as long as you can do the required accurizing yourself, without needing to pay a gunsmith, it can be a fun project that will produce a stick that may not be quite as accurate as a new Savage or Rem 700, but still a good shooter.

We have the factory rifles, Savages, 700's, and AR-15's...but my Mosin is my favorite to shoot because I built it. And when it turns in 3" groups at 300 yards, and consistently hits an 8" gong at 600 yards- that's fun, and besides, it gets a lot of positive comments at the range because it's different than everything else on the line.

Sometimes, it's fun just to have something different...

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb294/tobnpr/IMAG0583.jpg

Tempest 455
January 26, 2012, 09:39 AM
Same here. My other Mosins (M38/M44) are original but I had fun playing with this one. On a good day with a "good" batch of surplus, this is a 1 MOA gun. Like the above poster said, fun being different. I have been at the range with some high dollar guns and this one gets more interest than some of my other stuff.

Kind of like a strange street rod at a car show.

https://home.comcast.net/~ericdouthitt/DSCN8563.JPG

Cheapshooter
January 26, 2012, 12:20 PM
as long as you can do the required accurizing yourself, without needing to pay a gunsmith,

Exactly. I was referring to just throwing it in an aftermarket stock, cutting the bolt handle off, and screwing a new one on, and using some sort of aftermarket "make do" scope mount.
Not doing a fine build that results in a personalized, quality looking rifle like your's and tempest 455's

Been that route with Mausers many years ago. I still have a 6MM Remington heavy barreled custome varment rifle that started out as a $30 M98 action. That's what we did back then!

parkerd
January 26, 2012, 12:57 PM
Thanks guys! My grandfather owns a pawnshop and he has a sportirized (I don't think that's spelled right) Model will prolly end up just seeing if I like it or not and then purchase of I do!

Thanks,Parker

KevininPa
January 27, 2012, 01:07 PM
.......Boyds stock?

Tempest 455
January 27, 2012, 09:57 PM
Tempest, is that a ......
.......Boyds stock?

Yes.

gyvel
January 30, 2012, 03:39 AM
Ordering from JG Sales might be a crapshoot but the last 91/30 I got from them was a 1929 hex all matching numbers and its a great shooter. I don't think they intentionally send out crap. You can also pay extra for a premium pick.

No, they don't intentionally send out crap. The pull a box off the shelf and that's what you get. In the case of "hand select," they pull three (or maybe five) off the shelf and give you best of the three (or five).

If you show up in person, they will show you three guns; After that, you pay an extra $10.00

deerslayer303
January 30, 2012, 10:00 AM
I watched this video a few time when I first got my Mosin. Good Info, on decreasing the opening bolt tension, cleaning and lapping the chamber and bolt lugs, and making the trigger a tad smoother. There is a couple parts to the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXC_PQkLkNA

tobnpr
January 30, 2012, 06:04 PM
He has some good videos/info (Iraqveteran).

I would caution that in the one you linked above, bore polishing compound on the lugs is safe enough if you have a sticky bolt issue. But where he adds the note about using a lapping compound I would disagree...

Polishing the lugs, without removing any material is OK, but using a lapping compound will increase headspace and you'd better know what you're doing if you're going to lap bolt lugs...

9mmhpfan
January 30, 2012, 08:55 PM
How can you not love a rifle that has seen the demise of two empires and still soliders on today? The great thing about using one for a hunting weapon is that if you can't hit a white tail with it you can always do a bayonet charge and take it down with cold steel! Old school hunting, oh yeah!

458guy
January 30, 2012, 09:59 PM
Good guns for the money. I have 3 of them myself I am working on cusomizing one.