PDA

View Full Version : Rem 700 223 what?

turkeybuzzard
January 15, 2012, 08:24 PM
I traded for a Remington model 700- 223, it has a fluted stainless barrel with a black composite stock. I can't find anything on the Remington sight as to what I have other than a model 700? It kind of looks like the vs sf II without the black on the barrel and has one swivel on the forearm instead of two. It looks like I got beat on the trade! Is there a way to tell from the serial # what I have? Any info on the rifle would be appreciated! Man said it was new and it looks new, no box though. Thanks for any help.

ndking1126
January 15, 2012, 09:07 PM
Pictures would be helpful.. I almost wonder if the stock isn't aftermarket, but who knows without being abel to see it.

hoffbill
January 15, 2012, 09:12 PM
I think if you call or email Remington customer service the SN they can tell you what it was originally. I think you may be surprised how well that fluted barrel shoots. If you are not happy with the stock, check Boyd's Gunstocks web site, they have several models of laminate stocks, very reasonable prices and the quality is excellent if you are unfamiliar with them.

lewwetzel
January 15, 2012, 09:49 PM
If it has the Tupperware SPS Varmint (Hogue) stock with the Buick holes in the fore end, it could be the VSF model Remington produced the last couple years; am thinking they had two swivel studs, though. They were basically VSSF II's without the good stocks.

lewwetzel
January 15, 2012, 09:55 PM
Those VS-SF II stocks are made by H-S Precision, btw.

timothy75
January 15, 2012, 09:58 PM
I dont see what difference it makes. You liked what you saw when you traded so id say you did fine.

turkeybuzzard
January 15, 2012, 10:21 PM
Thanks to all, I will email Remington and see what they say, I do like the gun but I don't like being lied to about something. Especially from a vendor at a gun show, you think he would tell the truth. I will remember him if he lied! Thanks again.

mrawesome22
January 15, 2012, 10:44 PM
VSF were tan hs stock with blued barrel and action.

Sounds like a vssf2 and perhaps someone took off the great hs stock and replaced it with craptastic plastic:mad:

hoffbill
January 15, 2012, 11:10 PM
If a previous owner changed the stock, the vendor may not have known the difference.

uncyboo
January 16, 2012, 03:13 AM
Especially from a vendor at a gun show, you think he would tell the truth.

Go to many gun shows do ya? :D:D:D I don't take anything a gun show vendor tells me as gospel. The only reason I go to gun shows any more is if I'm looking for something specific. If I do see something interesting but haven't done my research on, I won't buy it. 20 years ago gun shows were a great place to buy. Anymore, I feel like I'm surrounded by a bunch of con artists.

emcon5
January 16, 2012, 11:10 AM
So what you are saying is that since the 70 ADL is not currently listed on Remington's web site, it never existed? :D

Pretty sure when the VSSF and Sendero SF came out they had the old VS type HS Precision stock. That could be what you have, or as someone mentioned, the previous owner could have restocked. it.

Is there anything marked on the barrel?

On edit, does the stock look like this one?
http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=6373345

That is the old style "Kevlar" HS Precision stock.

turkeybuzzard
January 16, 2012, 08:32 PM
The stock does look like that one in the picture, I am going to and try to put some pictures on here. They are not to good, taken with a phone. Thanks for the help. Guess I will cal rem tomorrow, email is a joke.

nimbleVagrant
January 16, 2012, 10:35 PM
That's an H-S Precision stock....definitely not a crappy plastic stock. Looks like a VSSF II being stainless with the fluted barrel and jewelled bolt. Odd that there's only one forend stud. Excellent rifle. I think they sell for around $1000-1100 new.

I'd be interest to know if the recoil pad says Remington.

turkeybuzzard
January 16, 2012, 10:47 PM
It has only one forend stud and the pad has remington on it. According to what I have found on the serial number, it was made in 1998? Like I said the remington sight is no help at all. I got to get me some scope rings for the leupold I have been saving! The first letter on the serial number is S.

timothy75
January 16, 2012, 10:50 PM
My 1999 remington catalog shows that exact rifle listed as a model 700 sendero sf (stainless fluted). Same stock and one swivel stud. Hope this solves your mystery.

emcon5
January 16, 2012, 11:07 PM
That is the standard factory Remington, made by HS Precision, stock that came on Sendero (long action) and Varmint Synthetic (short action) rifles from at least the mid 1990s, probably before. I don't recall them having more than one sling stud.

In other words, that is a factory rifle.

You did good.

1tfl
January 16, 2012, 11:23 PM
My Remington 700 VS came from factory with same stock.
It's HS Precision stock.
It has only one sling stud.
Very good stock.

uncyboo
January 17, 2012, 01:13 AM
Hey Buzz that's the crappiest stock Remington ever used. I'll give you 20 bucks for it and I'll pay the shipping..........;)

hoffbill
January 17, 2012, 03:56 AM
Buzz, I'll beat uncyboo and give you a hundred for the whole gun:D

uncyboo
January 17, 2012, 10:47 AM
Oh man talk about cutting me off at the knees..........:D

MOshooter65202
January 17, 2012, 11:53 AM
I have the same rifle only in a 22-250.
I purchased the rifle new in the mid 90's,I believe it was called a VS SF for Varmint Synthetic and Stainless Fluted. It also has the HS Precision stock with the aluminum block for bedding the action,it has been a very reliable accurate rifle.

Congrats on the purchase!

mrawesome22
January 17, 2012, 01:58 PM
http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&source=mog&hl=en&gl=us&client=ms-android-hms-tmobile-us&q=remington%20vssf&sa=N&biw=480&bih=241&sei=XcQVT4OdNIby0gG2oJirDQ#p=0

turkeybuzzard
January 17, 2012, 08:59 PM
I am gonna keep the stock till I at least shoot it on paper so yall can quit fighting over it, haha. One last question, it has scope mounts on here already, I held my leupold 12x on there with 1/4 inch spacers on top of the mounts. I think I need low mounts and am not sure? The scope has plenty of clearance with 1/4 inch. Will the low rings work or do I need the medium? Google search was blank on mrawesome22 posts! You might have been telling me to google, I have been, thanks. I got to get my stuff together for the weekend, need to shoot it!

turkeybuzzard
January 17, 2012, 09:13 PM
MOshooter65202, that was what I went to buy, another 22-250, I have a howa that I bought few years back. I put a boyd varmint stock on it, bedded and floated the barrel, it shoots good and looks good but I just wanted something better. Well the 223 will be cheaper to reload for once I get the dies.Time will tell which one I will keep. Maybe both.:)

MOshooter65202
January 18, 2012, 12:01 AM
turkeybuzzard Howa seems like they build very nice rifles from what I have seen and heard. One of these days I would really like to have a nice 223 bolt rifle,looks like you found a really nice Remington there and I would keep both rifles if possible.

Enjoy the VS SF :)

mrawesome22
January 18, 2012, 01:50 AM
:confused: Link works for me.

Anyway, as stated, you have a vssf1. That hs stock is great and should serve you well.