PDA

View Full Version : Henry Repeating Arms???

HandCannon32x
January 12, 2012, 10:37 PM
How reliable are they? How well built? Are they an all around good rifle? Thanks

johnwilliamson062
January 12, 2012, 10:40 PM
agreed

HandCannon32x
January 12, 2012, 11:14 PM
Anyone?

UpstateGlocker
January 13, 2012, 03:55 AM
I only have 2nd hand knowledge since I don't own one but do have friends who do, 3 of them all with the .22LR models. They are very satisfied, believe quality is very good and customer service is excellent. By customer service we're not talking repairs since they've never had to send a Henry rifle back, but they do order parts like the loop lever and Henry is very fast and accurate in order fulfillment.

I'd be interested in comments from actual owners, though, since its my understanding Henry is coming out with a Big Boy model in .45-70 and if that's true I'll become a Henry owner. I've wanted a .45-70 for some time but the Marlin factory problems with quality control have kept me away.

kst8fan
January 13, 2012, 04:49 AM
I have the H001 model 22. It's been the best 22 rifle I have ever owned. The walnut stock is deeply polished as well as the barrel and all metal parts. As far as reliability goes it's been perfect. The rifle feeds good, the action is smooth and the gun is very accurate. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Henry product. I have been debating getting the Big Boy 357.

rebs
January 13, 2012, 06:19 AM
I seen a henry at a local shop for sale for 499.00. I do not know the model number but it had an octagon barrel, exposed hammer and a beautifully polished brass receiver. Has anyone else seen one like this ? Anyone have an idea what model it could have been ?
I don't know anything about Henry rifles but it was a beautiful rifle.

Rockhanger
January 13, 2012, 06:47 AM
I have two, a.22 & a.17HMR. Both very accurate & very reliable. Also 100% American Made!

TheBear
January 13, 2012, 07:50 AM
I really love mine (its a standard lever action 22), its a great small range plinker. I use it for 20 to 50yard target shooting and pest controll. I am thinking about getting a second one in .22wmr.

Get one, you want be dissapointed.

jsimmons
January 13, 2012, 08:35 AM
I have a H001T Frontier model (octagon barrel) in .22LR. It's five years old and about 12,000 rounds to its credit. Other than the occasional faulty ammo, the gun has never failed mechanically in any way. The action is smooth, consistent, and entirely reliable. It's also completely American made.

While I've never had to use it, Henry's customer service is said to be among the best and most responsive in the industry, with the owner of the company handling many of the customer service issues himself.

They are also the only company that I've seen that has TV commercials, and I'm not talking about just the hunting or sports channels.

The only people that don't seem to like the Henry .22 are Marlin owners that keep insisting that the painted allow receiver cover is a sign of unreliability and an assumed lack of longevity. I guess we'll have to wait and see if that's true since their .22 rifle has only been sold since about 1993. I have never heard of a Henry that didn't work that Henry wouldn't fix or replace.

rtpzwms
January 13, 2012, 08:52 AM
I have the Henry Big Boy in 44mag. Its a great rifle that I've had for about five years now and never had a problem with it just a blast to shoot. The only fault I have with the rifle is that it loads through the tubular magazine. I would have preferred a side load.

Bottom line it's a keeper!:)

rebs
January 13, 2012, 08:59 AM
I looked at Henry's website and I believe the one I seen was a Golden Boy.

JWT
January 13, 2012, 09:18 AM
Very nice guns. I've got a Golden Boy .17hmr that I really like. It's very accurate and the action is extremely smooth. Add the fact that they're 100% American and you can't go wrong with one IMO.

Bamashooter
January 13, 2012, 04:24 PM
If your thinking about buying one I say do it. I have a .22LR and its a damn good shooter and a nice looking, smooth action rifle. You will like it.

warbirdlover
January 13, 2012, 04:26 PM
I have a BIL with the .22 lever action and he loves it. It's a cool gun.

TNT
January 13, 2012, 04:29 PM
I have bought two and they are both still up 5yrs later and running great guns and would buy another if I had the chance

PetahW
January 13, 2012, 04:42 PM
I've had several Henry rifles, so can add my $0.02 worth.

The blued .22 leverguns are inexpensive, reliable, lightweight, accurate, and a lot of fun - the Brasslite receivered Golden Boys ditto, but a bit heavier & no receiver scope grooves. A cantilever barrel-mount scope mount is available from Henry.
The GB stocks have a lot more drop than the others.

The centerfire Henry Brasslite/Golden Boys are smooth & accurate, but aren't referred to as Fat Boys for nothing - they're HEAVY.

I can't speak to the blued, Marlin-like centerfire rifles, as I've never had one.

The RF pumpguns are OK, but the one in .22 Mag have been discontinued due to warranty problems (too many issues).

The .22 boltguns are great for kids.

The Company, and it's President (Anthony Imperato) are heads/shoulders above anyone else in customer service, and the Prexy is available daily online at rimfirecentral.com

trex1310
January 13, 2012, 05:41 PM
I have a Henry pump action .22 magnum (H003TM). It is a
great shooting rifle. Deadly accurate and reliable. What else
do you want?

jsimmons
January 13, 2012, 05:44 PM
The centerfire Henry Brasslite/Golden Boys are smooth & accurate, but aren't referred to as Fat Boys for nothing - they're HEAVY.

Ummm, they're called "Big Boys", and I'm pretty sure the brass parts on the center-fire rifles are honest-to-god brass. Harley-Davidson makes the "FLSTF FatBoy". :)

mr.t7024
January 13, 2012, 07:09 PM
They are reliable. Yes.and yes to your questions.I sold them at dicks and basspro ,nothing but rave reviews from my customers.They have great customer service with the owner Anthony Imperato answering many of the phone calls. I own a .17 caliber Golden Boy,it has an incredible smooth action. You will be pleased that you bought one. Call me if you have any questions,978-424-7024 Cliff.:)

Ideal Tool
January 13, 2012, 11:24 PM
Okay, I guess I am the odd man out..But what I have seen of the Henry's..both rim & centerfire..leaves alot to be desired. It seems the Henry folk are trying to live off credit from the famous Henry rifle of the 1860's..that rifle was manufactured by the New Haven Arms Company. B. Tyler Henry developed the .44 rimfire ctg. that bore his name (and was honored by having the later Winchester company stamp an H in the head of their .22 rimfire cases).
The ones I have seen have inletting that looks like a 6th grade shop class dropout did it..I could actually see light right through between stock & action metal! No thanks..I'll pass.

silverbullet
January 26, 2013, 11:49 AM
Great Folks.
Sent an email about a scope mount for my .22 mag pump action. THE PRESIDENT OF THE COMPANY CALLED ME BACK!!
They sent two, just to be sure I got what I needed and several extra screws.
I called to see about returning the one I didnt need and they just said "Keep it!"
So, what more could you ask.
PS: The .22 mag. pump is more accurate than my Marlin 45/70 at 100 yds.

SDF880
January 26, 2013, 12:38 PM
Only Henry I have is the little survival 22LR rifle and it has been 100%. Several hundred rounds through it and the takedown works just fine.

SDF880

mxsailor803
January 26, 2013, 01:00 PM
I've got one and love it. May not be as nice as a 39A but for the price it can't be beat. Now I just got to get one in .44mag

alex0535
January 26, 2013, 01:08 PM
My dad gave me a Henry .22 Lever Action for my 6th or 7th birthday.

It has given me 15 years of dependable use, I expect that if I ever have children it will be around for them to shoot. Its accurate to a point where accuracy is a measure of the shooters skill more than it is the gun.

I think the Golden Boys are a bit too pretty to shoot, and that if mine had been a golden boy, 15 years of use would have it not looking nearly as pretty as it started.

I love mine, its built solid and functions well.

warbirdlover
January 26, 2013, 10:49 PM
They're super nice. If I was buying a lever rifle it would be a Henry.

JWT
January 26, 2013, 10:57 PM
My .17HMR has been great. It is extremely accurate and the action is the smoothest I've ever seen in a lever gun.

Sgt.207
January 27, 2013, 10:55 PM
Have the Henry Big Boy in 44mag. It's accurate, fun to shoot, slightly heavy and way too nice to take into the deer woods.

Damon555
January 28, 2013, 11:10 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y234/edlafond/Weapons/HenrySW.jpg

Prof Young
January 29, 2013, 09:40 PM
It's the only lever action I've ever shot, but I really enjoy my Henry Golden in 45 colt. Shoots reasonably tight groups at 100 yards. Have never jammed in hundreds of rounds. Very enjoyable gun.
Live well, be safe
Prof Young

Singlesix1954
February 1, 2013, 11:36 PM
I have a Goldenboy in 22mag. it's great!

sigshepardo
February 2, 2013, 09:33 AM
I have had only the best of luck when dealing with Henry. Their products are well made and shoot great. Customer service is also top notch. They sent me a free barrel for my Survival rifle when I called and told them I thought the barrel was worn out. Great company.

Mr. Whimsy
February 9, 2013, 12:25 PM
Dad has one of their .22 levers.

It is outstanding and is the smoothest lever action I've ever used, besides being very well made. It is a Best Buy IMHO.

LRChops
February 12, 2013, 04:47 AM
I have a Henry Goldenboy and it is a sweet rifle. Super high quality. Smooth action, high end finish, flawless performance, highly accurate.

Buford_Tannen
February 12, 2013, 09:40 PM
I have a Henry Big Boy in 45LC. Very nice rifle. With several hundred rounds fired its still doing its job flawlessly. Have to admit I really like the lever action on it. Very smooth

HALL,AUSTIN
February 13, 2013, 10:40 AM
I love mine, it runs like a top and is pretty accurate aswell

mr.t7024
February 13, 2013, 11:01 AM
I truly believe they are fine firearms and their customer service is awesome.
I bought a H001 used it had an original factory plastic front sight. I called the company and they sent me at no charge a metal front sight.:) Cliff

mr.t7024
February 13, 2013, 11:13 AM
I truly believe they are fine firearms and their customer service is awesome.
I bought a H001 used it had an original factory plastic front sight. The rifle was manufactured in 1998. They sent me a new metal front sight at no charge.Did I say their rifles and customer service are awesome .:) Clif

RV4driver
May 26, 2013, 06:33 PM
I don't know if a couple of months is "resurrecting" an old thread, but I have to weigh in on this. I'm an FFL, and got a Henry H004 for resale. When I opened the box, I took a quick look at the walnut furniture, the care with which the rifle was built and assembled, and decided right then and there to keep it. I have an old Marlin 39A original golden, and I love it, don't get me wrong, but the crap I've seen come into my shop from the "major" manufacturers lately depresses me. Quality is a thing of the past, in normally priced guns. I'm sick as heck to be sending gun after gun back to the "major" manufacturers after a couple of rounds, for warranty work. I find myself excitedly recommending anything that works out the box these days!
The Henry is well built, of quality materials, and is made in the USA. Add outstanding company support, and you've got a winning combination.

Now, as to the rifle itself... I wish the drop at the comb was like the Marlin. My 39A welds to my cheek perfectly. And while the brass buttplate is way cool, it's too slippery for good times on the plates. Between the low comb and slippery buttplate, the gun is all over the place when going for low times on steel cowboy targets. Now, my Marlin has a Williams target sight, and the peep/bead combination is a killer combo for fast accurate shooting. I'm new to the buckhorn sight, so it could be my fault, too. I come from NRA Hi-power shooting, and the peep sight is King.
But, after thousands of rounds, the Marlin action is still not as smooth as the Henry was out of the box.
In summary, I have to keep both. Because they both rock!
Now, to get the Action Target Dueling Tree out to the range for some lever-action fun with my buds! I only wish .22 ammo was more available. I'm shooting A LOT lately!

Jack O'Conner
June 7, 2013, 03:38 PM
Their standard blued 22LR and 22MAG rifles are an ERMA design that is an outstanding design as well.

Henry's 30-30 is an awful design and should be avoided unless you think its fun to keep sending your rifle back to factory for warranty work. Henry's craftsmen build pride into their work but the engineering department is mediocre at best.

Jack

osbornk
June 7, 2013, 04:33 PM
I love my Henry 22. It has been great. The entire warranty is :

Henry Repeating Arms stands behind its products as it has historically. We offer a simple limited lifetime warranty; if you have a problem at any time, and it's our fault, we will correct the problem immediately and at no charge. The warranty does not cover excessive wear and tear to parts, and accidental damage.

rebs
June 7, 2013, 07:22 PM
My Golden Boy 22 lr is flawless, now I want another Henry in 357 mag because I load 357 mag for my pistol and can use the same ammo in the rifle.

kutz
June 7, 2013, 08:39 PM
My levers are Winchester,Marlin, & Henry I will buy another Henry next

Super Sneaky Steve
July 4, 2013, 10:23 PM
Just picked up a Big Boy in .45 Colt. It's a work of art! Plan on testing it out this weekend.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/ex500/SSS/Henry1_zps8c153560.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/ex500/media/SSS/Henry1_zps8c153560.jpg.html)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/ex500/SSS/Henry2_zps8cd41bc1.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/ex500/media/SSS/Henry2_zps8cd41bc1.jpg.html)

MaDMaXX
July 5, 2013, 01:25 PM
Going to weigh in here.

I've only shot a few hundred rounds through my .22 lever (octagon barrel) but it's the smoothest action you can imagine, i've heard it called buttery smooth, and i would say and then some!
I find it amazingly fun to shoot, just a pleasure and i don't particularly like .22LR.

Out shooting with a friend, he was scoped with a .17HMR, hanging golf ball set out for his sights (don't recall the distance) but i tried and could hit it with the factory iron sights without much of a problem, standing, not trying too hard.

Finish etc on the gun from the factory was very nice, it felt special to open that box and 'receive' it :)

TopMCITWS
July 5, 2013, 01:55 PM
Henrys are great dependable rifles. Have a Henry Big Boy in 45LC, which I purchased new about 5 years ago, and it has consistently proved itself to be completely reliable and accurate. My personal opinion is that you cannot go wrong buying a Henry.

creightonenterprises
July 5, 2013, 02:07 PM
The Goldenboy is just a classic gun that I love. My .22 has always shot true with minor cleaning involved.

Ajtozzi
July 5, 2013, 02:30 PM
I have a Big Boy in 357 on my short list if "need to acquire soon guns". It helps that they are made in the USA and that Henry is right here in NJ!!

MattShlock
July 5, 2013, 07:36 PM
The "traditional profile" stock is too low for a cheek weld. Try one's fit first.

MaDMaXX
July 5, 2013, 07:55 PM
Did i hear the 357 fired regular revolver ammo?

MattShlock
July 5, 2013, 09:49 PM
Sure Max.

Super Sneaky Steve
July 5, 2013, 10:49 PM
Just took my Big Boy out to the range today. At 25 yards all my bullet holes were touching with iron sights.

This thing is amazing! I'm going to get one in 45-70 next :D

Vividia
July 5, 2013, 11:02 PM
I have 2 Big Boys - .357 mag and .44 mag. Love that they shoot easy to load handgun ammo. They are well made and great shooters. Unlike others, I haven't had any trouble with the stock angle.

Try this if you are at an outdoor range that can accommodate it - get one of those self sealing orange balls. Throw it out on the range, and then chase it down the range. You will find that the heavy barrel swings very naturally target reacquisition is quick and easy.

MaDMaXX
July 6, 2013, 01:32 AM
How do you like the .357 specifically? I found it on their website, i'll probably look to get that sometime.

Also, the self healing orange balls? I'm looking for recommendations on good reactive targets as well :)

chiefr
July 6, 2013, 09:01 AM
Seems all the posts are positive. Rare on these forums.
I have never owned a Henry, however I have fired my share of them. They share one thing in common: Quality, fit, and finish is superior to all other rifles of similar designs. They are accurate and 100% reliable.
There quality is reminicent of the old Belgium Brownings.

chipchip
July 6, 2013, 01:18 PM
Hows the recoil between the 357 and 44 mag.

MattShlock
July 6, 2013, 01:21 PM
The Henry's are HEAVY (besides having a low stock). Recoil in .44 Mag levers is surprisingly heavy, though not terrible, and I have shocked people with them!

David Bachelder
July 6, 2013, 01:49 PM
I have a Henry Big Boy chambered in .357 Magnum. I've had it about a year or so. It is a very nice rifle and it shoots spot on. I lke it because I also have a ruger BlackHawk chambered in .357 Magnum. I can carry a rifle and a revolver into the field and they both use the same ammo.

The Henry also shoots the .38 Special (of course). I shoot a lot of 38 special out of it just for plinkers. The idea was to use them for Hog Hunting here in Texas. I've been on a couple trips but the hogs aren't showing up. I have no doubt that the 357 will take a hog down.

My Henry is a very nice rifle.

Vividia
July 7, 2013, 10:15 PM
The recoil on the .357 is almost not existent, and the .44 mag not much more. Both have less recoil than my AR15 IMO.

Another cool feature is that that heavy barrel is one big heat sink. I can hold the barrel to reload without burning my hand. Can't say that about any other rifle I own :)

Oh, and as to the question about the orange ball - look up Do All Outdoors, and it's called Impact Seal. (I have a new one on the floor beside me LOL) I have a ball and a block, and really like em for practicing target acquisition and changing point of aim as the ball gets further and further away. Really helps to work out the sight picture of the ballistic arc of handgun rounds out of a longer barrel.