PDA

View Full Version : Coyote Hunting

4runnerman
January 8, 2012, 09:42 PM
Hey all. First time yote hunter here ( Very green). Was wondering. Today i went to bosses place to shoot. Layed down in grass 2 feet tall with bipod. Needless to say it really limits your view. Was wondering how many use a portable shooting table and cover it in those camo blankets when you go out?.I have seem some neat table set-ups that you can carry with you and weight only 35 lbs.

towboat-er
January 8, 2012, 09:58 PM
I usually just lean against a tree, or fence post. That or shoot offhand.

4runnerman
January 8, 2012, 10:10 PM
I was up on a hill so ,, out a distance i could see better. I did finally get up and hid in the tree line,but now i stand for 6 hrs or more. Other options?????

shootniron
January 8, 2012, 10:15 PM
stand for 6 hrs or more

Were you on one stand that long?

towboat-er
January 8, 2012, 10:43 PM
I dont like to pack much. This is my favorite type of seat.
http://www.amazon.com/Game-Portable-Seat-Camo-15X4-Inch/dp/B003RQQNMS/ref=sr_1_7?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1326080147&sr=1-7

3kgt2nv
January 8, 2012, 10:46 PM
get a nice sling and learn to shoot using it to stabilize yourself or pick up a nice shooting stick. alot lighter than 35 pounds

4runnerman
January 9, 2012, 06:34 AM
Were you on one stand that long?

Yes. I have one chunk of land to hunt in right now.(new to this thing) and have no idea where alse to go. I have a very good view from up there. I can see over 1 mile all directions other than the woods behind me. Very Beautiful place.

I do have a hot seat almost like the one pictured but if i sit in that tall grass it really restricts my view. I guess im just learning the ropes right now. I am as Green as they come as far as this goes. I can shoot off a shooting stick,tree branch ect ect,but im still just standing there. I know it's a patiance game for sure. I just thought a small bench set up would be the way to go. I can drive all the way to about 20 feet from where i need to walk through a tree line to pop out the other side,so a 35 lb bench is not a big deal.

HALL,AUSTIN
January 9, 2012, 07:14 AM
Where I hunt if you drive up to the spot you wish to hunt the coyotes will be long gone. I make a point to walk a good ways to my makeshift blind

4runnerman
January 9, 2012, 07:42 AM
Very good point Hall. I did walk it yesterday,about 3/4 mile to the spot. The yotes (he says) all come from the other side of the tree line. He says you need to call them in from a long ways. Im thinking my truck on other side of tree line is not to much of a issue( I think). since they all come from the other direction. He says you can see them coming in from a long ways out there. I park on the East side of the tree line. Tree line is maybe 20 to 30 feet wide,Very very thick and the yotes come in from a mile or so to the West side of the tree line.

homesick
January 9, 2012, 07:44 AM
Are you using a call?

HALL,AUSTIN
January 9, 2012, 09:04 AM
I use a wounded rabbit squealer, works wonders. BUT thats because I do not have an electric call

rickyrick
January 9, 2012, 10:30 AM
Depending on the backdrop, lighting ect. You can stand up, but It's best to sit when possible.

"JJ"
January 9, 2012, 11:17 AM
You can get you a Turkey Lounger. It is obviously made for turkey hunting, but a lot of people use it for predator hunting. That and a nice pair of shooting sticks will allow you to both set up a bit above the grass and get a semi-stable rest. Be careful not to over call the spot. If a coyote or two comes in and senses something it doesn't like, it can make a quick exit without you even knowing it was there! Then if you continue to call for that long, it can educate them to associate that sound with man and stop investigating it. Most predator hunters will call a spot from 15 minutes to sometimes 45 minutes. The later when bobcats are expected! Probably 95% of called coyotes come in between 3-12 minute mark. You will have some that break the rules. As for the coyotes ALWAYS coming in from the West, there is no always when dealing with coyotes! ;) Once you think you have them figured out, they will prove you wrong!

4runnerman
January 9, 2012, 02:12 PM
Yes. I use my friends electric caller. It has about 12 different calls in it. I use it for about 5 minutes and then wait 1/2 hr or so before i hit it again. I will have to look at that Turkey Lounger thing. Keep the hints coming as im as green as they come.:D

Buzzcook
January 9, 2012, 02:28 PM
Get a camp stool and a small collapsible table.

http://www.rei.com/product/765278/rei-camp-stool

http://www.rei.com/product/378009/camp-time-roll-a-table

Heck you're not that far from your truck get an easy chair :)

603Country
January 9, 2012, 02:31 PM
Going on what I see around here, coyotes will usually approach a caller or a smell (dead pig) from downwind. But if they are just traveling or roaming, they can be anywhere. As for shooting places or positions, I prefer to be up high if possible (ladder stand or climbing stand). If I was hunting from the ground, like I used to when deer hunting, I carried a shooting stick. Nothing fancy, but just a light branch with a fork on the top end and cut to the length I'd need to shoot from the stool. That worked fine for deer if the wind was right, but I'd get more seriously camo'd up for coyote. Those sneaky rascals can just glide in on you and be almost impossible to see as the day gets later. As for bobcats, I don't think they care as much about wind direction.

rickyrick
January 9, 2012, 05:52 PM
Here's a real good tip that I learned the hard way........... be mindful, when using mouth blown calls, as to the position of the calls exhaust in reference to the position of your rifle scope. For the tale is told, the lens of the scope will frost up. You will have to be quick with a greasy thumb...

4runnerman
January 10, 2012, 06:56 AM
All great points. One more question. Im shooting from on top a hill downward.

If i remember right.Please correct me if not,Since i have not had oppertunity to shoot yet.

Shooting down hill-Your POI will rise said amout from zero.

Magnum Mike
January 10, 2012, 07:44 AM
but now i stand for 6 hrs or more. Other options
To long in one spot! I spent 6 hours covering 5 spots in a 20 mile radius. 20 minutes in a spot should be long enough.
Here's a site that will give you some more info.

http://buckingtheodds.com/videos/coyote-hunting-video-42-with-bucking-the-odds/#more-3119

warbirdlover
January 10, 2012, 09:39 AM
Build a small blind! Nothing fancy, just to hide you. Animals will get used to it. Or put up a portable. Then a nice, comfy swivel chair of some sort and you're set. If it rains you stay dry also.

Wyoredman
January 10, 2012, 11:23 AM
Practice shooting from a sitting position, Elbows reting on your knees, bone on bone.

You are not shooting groups, you are shooting coyotes. Then put your cammo on and try it.

Some guys I hunt with use two sticks, crossed and tied with a strip of leather as a rest when sitting on stand.

Finally, be prepared to take an off-hand shot! I have had many a calling session where I never see a coyote until I stand up. There they are, 50 yards away! Shoot fast before they realize what you are!

Remeber, you are shooting at a target that is 8", so you don't need to put three rounds into MOA. You only need one in the boiler!

Buzzcook
January 10, 2012, 04:27 PM
If i remember right.Please correct me if not,Since i have not had oppertunity to shoot yet.

Shooting down hill-Your POI will rise said amout from zero.

If you search the rifle forum you'll find several threads on that topic.
The short answer is yes, but that under 300yds it doesn't matter that much.

johnwilliamson062
January 10, 2012, 08:43 PM
Learn to levitate. takes a while to get to where you can hold stable, but then you leave these problems in the dust.

HALL,AUSTIN
January 10, 2012, 10:02 PM
I prebait the 2 spots that i hunt (I usually hunt once a week). I put deer guts easily procured from local butchers or friends. Im going to try pig, i have a buddy who farms pigs. I will try any meat as bait i can get my hands on. The coyotes come to it usually within one or two calls, it is very easy. In my woods it works, your experience may vary though, i only hunt nc for yotes

johnwilliamson062
January 10, 2012, 10:23 PM
How often do you bait the location? Daily, once a week?

4runnerman
January 10, 2012, 10:32 PM
I have never pre baited. Heck i have only gone 2 times in my life. I plan to do it as much as i can this winter. My Boss say's him and his wife hear them everyday.
He said last month one of them was trying to get his lab pup to chase him into woods. How often should i expect to see one?. Not everytime i go out there,should I ?. I love the outdoors,so even if i don't see one i still just enjoy the view and the being outdoors. Planing on going out there this weekend again nice and early. Get set up before light any how. What is the best time other than night to get them.

johnwilliamson062
January 10, 2012, 10:39 PM
Sorry, i meant that for Austin Hall

hagar
January 10, 2012, 11:17 PM
Harris 25-C 27 inch sitting swivel bipod and a stadium chair. Trust me, I hunted them seriously in AZ and spend a lot of time and money trying out different things.

rickyrick
January 11, 2012, 05:28 AM

mrawesome22
January 11, 2012, 03:38 PM
Planing on going out there this weekend again nice and early. Get set up before light any how. What is the best time other than night to get them.

In your area, they will be going back to the den around 9-9:30am.

4runnerman
January 11, 2012, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the tip Mrawesome22. that might be why i did not see any or was not able to call them in last week. I only got started at 9:30. Will see what happens this week

Magnum Mike
January 11, 2012, 07:26 PM
Where abouts you hunting in Minnesota?

HALL,AUSTIN
January 11, 2012, 08:52 PM
As often as possible, and I do it usually every 3 days. I dont wear scent block so that the yotes arent scared when they catch a whiff of me, to them its just a usual day. And once I set the bait I make one call and then get the heck out of dodge. Set up a game cam that belongs to a buddies stepdad. They come around 4:30-7:30. Usually the earlier. So once I set the bait I make my one usual call, then wait in my lean to :D the coyotes come in and then I take my shot while they chow down

4runnerman
January 11, 2012, 10:13 PM
Magnum Mike--Pelican lake area. about 10 miles east of it and about 3 miles South of Hwy 34.

johnwilliamson062
January 11, 2012, 10:24 PM
Good plan. If I can get some local hunting access I may copy it.

chippedit
January 11, 2012, 10:57 PM
In my mind, calling coyotes is as fun as any hunt there is. One of the best things about it is its simplicity. U don't need a lot of gadgets. Accessories won't replace skill and skill comes from practice. If u stay with it long enough to develop a technique, your gonna have a lot of fun.

farmerboy
January 11, 2012, 11:01 PM
Coyote hunting is very fun. It ranks up there with squirrel hunting, and hog hunting! Just like hog hunting you can do it year round too.

mrawesome22
January 12, 2012, 12:44 AM
coyote fun
In my mind, calling coyotes is as fun as any hunt there is. One of the best things about it is its simplicity. U don't need a lot of gadgets. Accessories won't replace skill and skill comes from practice. If u stay with it long enough to develop a technique, your gonna have a lot of fun.

For sure. Get ya a good accurate rifle and 10 different calls hanging off your neck and have at it :)

When it's close to pitch black and they start howling very close... still makes my hair stand up every time lol :D

Had 5 coming in at once a couple years ago. Biggest adrenaline rush I think I've ever had while hunting.

rickyrick
January 12, 2012, 05:41 AM
I don't know why the earlier post is blank. I was gonna post above about the fact that they love to follow cattle trails and other pathways. When conditions are right, you can ambush them.

One of my favorite things is to sit and listen to coyotes.
Hunting them is fun and requires little equipment. It is thrilling and exciting to call them in.

There will be times that your efforts yield nothing, don't be discouraged it happens to everyone, especially when hunting the same area. You may have to take a break from it at times.

4runnerman
January 12, 2012, 07:37 AM
Thanks to all for the tips and advice. I will put them all to use. I love being outdoors and shoot one or not, I still have a great time just being outdoors.

Got my small bench made up.Only sits about 2 feet off ground and is very solid, Very portable too. Got all my Camo stuff and a Ghili suit. Hey even if i don't get one,,I look good not getting one:D:D

Magnum Mike--Where abouts you at?.

"JJ"
January 12, 2012, 08:45 AM
In my experience, coyotes will abandone a den not long after the pups are born and can venture out.
After they breed they will start to get they old den, if still available, ready for this years pups. But the majority of the year they will not utilize the den & just bed down for naps.
Now they will tend to have a bedding area they like, but I have come accross bedded coyotes in some tall grass in the middle of pastures at 10am.

I think that even if they are bedded or in a den, if they hear the call they are very likely to respond. They have a hard time turning down a meal.
I had one regurgitate an almost complete rabbit when I shot it and it was coming to get more!

But, another thing I have learned is that when dealing with coyotes there is no ALWAYS! They do what they do when they want to do it!

Everybody has given you some great advice, take it all in and use it to help get going in the right direction. See what works for you in your area and make it happen!
Good luck!

farmerboy
January 12, 2012, 12:24 PM
where you from in NE Texas JJ?

"JJ"
January 12, 2012, 12:40 PM
where you from in NE Texas JJ?

I am about as far N & E as you can get!
I am about 20 miles from AR & OK in Bowie County.

farmerboy
January 12, 2012, 01:10 PM
Leon County is where Im at. (Hardwood) 99% Pin Oak, Red Oak and Post Oak. Hilly terrain some flats half wood half pasture. Deer, Feral hogs and plenty Coyotes. May go this evening.

ngragg
January 13, 2012, 02:55 PM
if that is going to be your main yote hunting spot, build you a shooting house and make it comfy with an old office chair.

4runnerman
January 13, 2012, 06:24 PM
ngragg- There are about 8 deer houses out there already that have been there for years. I could sit in one of them too. You think that would be better?>

bamaranger
January 16, 2012, 01:44 AM
I've started fooling w/ coyotes a bit. You've got to beat their nose, ie play the wind, and work the terrain against how they will come in using the wind.

And I am still learing. Febuary is my coyote month.

4runnerman
January 16, 2012, 10:50 AM
Went out sunday. Got one shot at about 450 yards. Shot low. I was bucking a 35 MPH wind. No excuses being made here. My bad shot:mad:. taking Friday off to go get him....:D

HALL,AUSTIN
January 16, 2012, 10:55 AM
Bad shots happen man. Just yesterday my buddy and i were at our blind nd he flopped a 20 yard shot with a rifle he shoots 1.5MOA ALL DAY with... literally all day

rickyrick
January 16, 2012, 12:52 PM
450yds is quite far for a yote, you should be able to call them to 150 or less.

Nothing wrong with doing it if you and your rifle are capable.

High winds will cause them to be more wary because they gotta trust thier noses. But some may still approach.

2 months ago, on a windy evening, I got one on a drive-by, I didn't even call. It just strolled right by, never saw me sitting in the bush. Some people won't hunt if the wind ain't right, if the moon and stars ain't right ect... I hunt when I get the time...

Irish B
January 16, 2012, 07:06 PM
I would not wait 6 hours at a stand to take a yote!

4runnerman
January 16, 2012, 09:43 PM
Still not making excuses,but i think i fell prey to my first Yote ever. excited and nervous,trigger happy. Hope that is all out of me now. I should have tried to call him in closer for sure,but i wanted that yote so bad. Im marking this one up to a green horn( Very Green) mistake that i will not make again. Consentrate and breath this time. I hope by Friday evening i will be posting a pic of my first yote:D

rickyrick
January 16, 2012, 09:49 PM
It is very exiting, I get all worked up when I make the first call of the hunt, like turning the crank on a jack in a box. You don't know when its gonna pop.

4runnerman
January 20, 2012, 03:40 PM
Well all.Out at 5:30 AM this morning.All set up with scent,decoy(rabbit) and caller before light.But again old Yote eluded me.Did not see a one today.
Planning on heading out AM again Sat and try again. Hope the Yote God is with me then:D

rickyrick
January 20, 2012, 04:07 PM
Did you hear any coyotes?

I can suggest that you spend a day out scouting for track, poo, and other indicators of favored spots.

Try to figgure out what they've been eating, and focus calls on that.

Soon, they will want to meet other coyotes so try coyote sounds.

4runnerman
January 20, 2012, 04:59 PM
Did you hear any coyotes?

Lord if i only could. Sorry to say i have about a 40% hearing loss. I have the caller 50 yards away from me and i can't hear that on full volume. I do see tracks and my boss (lives were i hunt) say's him and his wife hear them every day. There are lots of deer and a cow farm all with in 5 miles of where i hunt.

He says when they shoot their deer evry year the next day all remains are gone by the next day,so i have to assume there is more than just afew there.

I will keep trying,Im bound to get one sooner or later:eek:

rickyrick
January 20, 2012, 05:09 PM
You can tell a lot if you hear them.

Where they're at.

What they're doing.

How many.

Are there females.

Do they know if you are there.

Absence of hearing them does not necessarily mean anything, but for sure hearing them means a great deal.

If I have time I wait to hear them before I start calling.
Plus that gives time for any news of my arrival to be forgotten.

rickyrick
January 20, 2012, 05:11 PM
Sorry, I replied before the edit.

"JJ"
January 21, 2012, 06:58 AM
I am sorry to hear about your hearing loss. I hope you are wearing hearing protection to protect the 60% you have left! ;) You said you have the call on "full volume", this could be keping them away. I read where a coyote can pinpoint a mouse's location down to a few feet from 100s of yards away. The have some excellent hearing. They can sense something isn't right when the close the distance and the rabbit is still screaming like a jet engine! Try to start out on low volume and work your way up. Run a minute long burst and sit in silence for 2 or 3 mins or so. Allow the coyote to be hunting the source when it arrives. This is when a motion decoy is worth its weight in gold! :) Repeat this and increase the volume a little each time. Then, when done with the stand, wait several minutes in silence just incase the louder calls are bringing in a distant coyote! Keep reviewing your hunts and learning from them. Try to figure out what can be improved and it wil happen!

4runnerman
January 21, 2012, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the pointers jj. I never thought about that. I will give it a try. This caller has 15 different sounds on it and the only one i use is the rabbit in distress call and once every now and then the mouse call. I have a lot to learn and im working on it,Thanks to all your and other peoples help.:D

Art Eatman
January 21, 2012, 01:27 PM
I'd figure on starting at maybe half-volume, and after the first call or two, scale back to under one-fourth. Full volume? I doubt a coyote would want to tangle with a 400-pound rabbit.

OkieGentleman
January 28, 2012, 12:12 AM
Get an electronic caller, set the speaker up about 50 ft from your stand and up wind. Put a fluter lure ( a bird wind on flexible rod will do). Run your call for 3 or 4 minutes at a low volume, in case one is bedded down very close. If no action turn the volume up a bit, but don't try and blast them out of the woods. If no action after 5 minutes shut down the operation and take a 30 minute break (no smoking). Then try a pup distress call for about 5 minutes, if still no action move to new location at least 300 yards up wind.

The last time I called coyotes, one almost ran over me getting to that fluter lure with the call going. Scared H out of both of us, my brother laughed so hard the coyote got to live another day.:eek:

BIG P
January 28, 2012, 02:07 AM
A good heavy camera tripod & camo pants leg make a sling & a light folding chair make a good shooting station easy in & out.

4runnerman
January 28, 2012, 03:02 PM
Thanks for everyones input here. But after today now(did not see a one). I will be the first to admitt--I SUCK at coyote hunting.:D. I think if i could find one i would be able to shoot it. I think i need to go with a seasoned vet a few times and maybe that will help. Coyote tracks all over where im hunting,but i have yet to see one other than the one time out. I will not give up,but man maybe i should take up deer hunting again.Seems like everytime i go out i could blast at least 5 of them.

rickyrick
January 28, 2012, 05:42 PM
Don't give up, it'll happen.

If you find enjoyment in the outdoors then just have fun trying.

It is possible to hunt without calling. Set up on one of those trails with the wind in your favor and wait.

Also as an experiment, I put out some spoiled chicken and they came.
My camera shows them coming back to check and I've only done it once.

I am still learning all about coyotes that I can.....we will all learn together here.

biohazurd
January 28, 2012, 07:08 PM
I almost always hunt yotes and big game from a stand. I just really like the better view.

rickyrick
January 30, 2012, 01:05 PM
I put some more chicken out. Figure If they kept coming back and checking the same spot I'll try to get them to associate my aroma with happy thoughts.

johnwilliamson062
January 30, 2012, 01:13 PM
I just hope it is like deer hunting. You go out, get comfortable, fall asleep, and when you wake up a deer is 15 yds away looking at you.

rickyrick
January 31, 2012, 06:22 AM
LOL, I've done that without the animal showing up. When sitting with my back against a partially consumed round bale. When you start to slump to the side, the hay makes a scary noise LOL.

ltc444
January 31, 2012, 08:56 AM
Enjoyed this thread. Lots of good info. thanks.

BIG P
February 1, 2012, 10:39 PM
Set up today on a power line behind some chicken houses.Been after a pack for 3 weeks now today was the day they came out in the open power line @ 400yds. put the cross hairs on top of his head sent a load of high speed lead poison from a 25-06 ended his days got two more in the next 10 mins.Thought that was pretty good shooting for a old man.
I know I liked it way better than they did. LOL.