PDA

View Full Version : How does the INOX differ from the regular Beretta 92FS?

BearArms2
January 5, 2012, 05:03 PM
Other than being 2-toned, what special features are on the Beretta 92FS INOX that aren't on the Beretta 92FS?

I noticed the INOX sells for just over $600 while the regular 92FS can be had for just over $500.

can anyone tell me why the difference in price and more importantly...is the extra $100 worth it? Thanks!!

Scorch
January 5, 2012, 05:10 PM
INOX is a trademarked name for a type of stainless steel, so I would assume that a pistol so labeled would be made of stainless, and stainless handguns often sell for a little bit more than the blued models.

SHNOMIDO
January 5, 2012, 05:14 PM
INOX is shorthand for stainless in a couple langauges, Id assume at least spanish and italian

Ive seen steel tools that say STAINLESS INOX (insert asian symbols here)

INOX-idizable.

Just means stainless, like the previous poster said.

Why would you want stainless? for looks or rust protection. both are personal preference, personally, i dont believe in blued firearms, except maybe classic revolvers. I like stainless, keep em clean keep em simple.

BearArms2
January 5, 2012, 05:15 PM
is the regular Beretta 92FS not made of stainless steel??

BearArms2
January 5, 2012, 05:17 PM
thanks for the posts -- so INOX will prevent rust (therefore adding to the lifetime of the gun)??

Skans
January 5, 2012, 05:18 PM
The standard Beretta 92 has an aluminum frame.

SHNOMIDO
January 5, 2012, 05:23 PM
if you clean a blued weapon every time you use it it will last just as long as a stainless one, which is somewhere around 500 years.

You should be cleaning your weapons periodically regardless of what theyre made of.

However, if you put your greasy Dorito thumb on the side of a blued pistol, then put it in the safe and come back a week later, it will have a rusty thumbprint on it.

Will a stainless do this? yea, but not nearly as easy.

Im sure youre going to take real good care of your purchase. Really what it comes down to is,

Do you want a black (blue) one? or do you want a silver one?

priler
January 5, 2012, 05:28 PM
the difference is the slide and barrel are stainless steel and they try to match that color in the frame. the 92fs is high carbon steel on slide and barrel,both with the proprietary bruniton finish and the frame to match that.

whether it's worth the difference in price is up to you.

oh yeah,and i've seen both slanted and straight dust covers on either one,which can be another difference,..and some have a slightly deeper radius cut for webbing of hand,depending.

then there's the question of either american or italian,which is an issue of alot of misconception,so make sure you know the truth.

priler
January 5, 2012, 05:29 PM
both have a forged aluminum frame.

lamarw
January 5, 2012, 06:08 PM
Mechanically speaking, I believe they are the exact same pistol. I bought my Inox about two years ago and only paid about $45 more for the Inox model over the blued. The store I purchased from discounted both models.

My Inox 92 FS has more of a grey appearance than the mirror shiny finish on my S&W 686.

PSP
January 5, 2012, 08:29 PM
is the regular Beretta 92FS not made of stainless steel??

No. A regular 92fs has a carbon steel slide and alloy frame.

Here's a INOX Vertec. I love this gun. :D

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ripley16/Pistols/Current%20Pistols/Bdayberetta002.jpg

tekarra
January 5, 2012, 08:32 PM
Inox comes from the French word inoxidable which is a common term for stainless steel in Europe.

BearArms2
January 5, 2012, 09:01 PM
so priler - are you saying that one is stainless steel and one is carbon steel?? but both are all steel and the only difference is color?

and what about the USA vs Italian Beretta? is there a major difference between the two?!? or are they basically identical??

priler
January 6, 2012, 02:28 AM
on the slides and barrels,yes. on the frames,no,both are forged aluminum.

the biggest false info you'll hear from others about usa vs italian,is that the italian version has a better finish. if you put current production of both bruniton versions in front of you,you'll note that the usa version has a finish just as nice,even to the most critical eye.

..and in the current production INOX versions as of right now,i would be extremely critical of the italian version. at a LGS right before my eyes i have seen NIB italians with some type of "soft paint"(to match the SS slide) that they're using now over the anodizing that marks or scratches easily from just turning the disassembly lever(which is were i saw it) a few times and you'll begin to see a yellowish color underneath that's the anodizing.. after being used alot,you'll probably get premature wear around the grip from just shooting it. after seeing this,i went to berettaforum and found out it wasn't a fluke. there's an extremely long thread on there if you search for it. it's about 5 or 6 pages long iirc and the guy even shows pictures of the "paint" bubbling up badly from just cleaning the pistol. then i went to youtube to see what i can find and,sure enough,i guy on there was showing an italian INOX with lots of premature wear(of the "soft paint") where it was yellowish all along the grip and it wasn't some worn out pistol. i've never seen or even heard of this on the american INOX version.

with 100K rounds or more i can understand normal wear,but not on NIB or relatively new and certainly not bubbling up from just cleaning with a solvent that's not known for being harsh and doesn't hurt other guns. i'm sure they'll eventually get this right in italy,the key word being eventually.

the problem for some is that most american INOX versions have the black controls and some prefer the lighter colored controls(which some mod to have).

i'm sure all the disbelievers will come out now and trash me to death.

your money,your call. get the american.

gyvel
January 6, 2012, 08:03 AM
Not that this is an everyday occurrence, but a Buddy of mine in Tucson has an Inox 92 with a nice cracked slide. Beretta just laughed at him when he asked about a warranty repair. They want close to $500.00 to replace the slide (parts, labor and shipping).

I have "heard" that inox slides are harder than standard carbon steel slides and are more prone to cracking. (Strictly hearsay at this point, though.)

BearArms2
January 6, 2012, 10:44 AM
I'm proud to buy American -- so that works well.

any word on the INOX American version? or are some of those parts still made in italy - and therefore may be 'painted' too?
thanks!

Marquezj16
January 6, 2012, 11:04 AM
but a Buddy of mine in Tucson has an Inox 92 with a nice cracked slide

How did it happen?
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm really curious as to how you can crack a stainless slide.

priler
January 6, 2012, 12:31 PM
if you want an american INOX 92,buy with confidence. i would never even dream of bashing berettas. berettas are very well made and engineered guns. again,i've never heard of the issue with american versions. you can also try and find an older italian INOX. iirc,someone on the berettaforum was trying to get a handle on the model date/year the issue started. it seems to be only with current production from maybe about 2010 and up but i can not verify that,only that the issue does actually exist.

getting parts and accessories for the 92,is like pressing the big red easy button too.

i mentioned the current production italian INOX issue just to make you aware and avoid disappointment. it could also be a current batch that had the problem but i would tend to think that if i noticed the problem in 7 or 8 individual models,there could be 5K or 10K of them out there with the same issue and it would probably take some time for italy to recognize,admit and then address the issue and alot more could slip through meanwhile.

beretta 92s are one of those pistols,beyond many others,that have gone through lots of testing and been proven reliable and well made. personally,i tend to think that the US army's requirements for the 92 is it's limiting factor. you don't need a nuclear explosion to light a match,just the right amount of friction.

i don't think beretta SS slides are "harder" than the carbon steel versions and i don't think any beretta slides are prone to cracking. i would say that if you stripped both slides and carefully weighed them,the SS slide should weigh a little bit more but insignificant,that is the nature of SS.

as with any other aluminum framed pistol,just keep the rails clean and well lubed at all times to provide maximum longevity. a well maintained 92 will probably out last you,..unless you regularly compete or put 10K rds a year through it but then,those that shoot that much,know parts can wear or eventually break on any pistol. don't worry about it.

TailGator
January 6, 2012, 03:38 PM
Currently (meaning that it could change next week) inox 92s are made in Italy and come with the silver-colored controls. American-made inoxes had black controls, but are not in production at the moment. There has been some talk of a run of US inoxes sometime soon, but talk is cheap and the definition of "soon" sometimes varies quite a bit.

The finish of Italian 92 Inoxes is still the painted-on stuff, but most recently it seems to be somewhat more durable, at least according to some reports. It is a shame that such a beautiful pistol (and I am one who thinks the 92 Inox is among the most beautiful guns made) is finished in such a way. I love mine and I am hoping the finish holds up, but it is only a few months old so I cannot say yet with any authority.

Don P
January 6, 2012, 08:38 PM
if you clean a blued weapon every time you use it it will last just as long as a stainless one, which is somewhere around 500 years.

I plan on out living all my guns.:eek:

gyvel
January 6, 2012, 11:26 PM
How did it happen?
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm really curious as to how you can crack a stainless slide.

It cracked at the weakest point of the slide, the recess for the locking block. It basically just occurred while the gun was being shot.

It's not an insurmountable problem to get it fixed, but I was kind of surprised at Beretta's cavalier attitude. It is also very cost prohibitive. I have been trying to talk him into replacing it with a carbon steel slide, but he wants it original.

Marquezj16
January 7, 2012, 10:58 AM
Wow, just normal firing and it cracked. Well, I guess any form of metal can break or crack in this matter. What was Beretta's response besides laughing at his face? Is it not covered? I thought they had a lifetime warranty?.?.?

redfisher43
January 7, 2012, 04:26 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Beretta's warranty is one year unless you register the warranty for an additional two year warranty.

(*_*)
January 7, 2012, 05:06 PM
redfisher43 is exactly right. Its 3 years if you register or 1 year otherwise.

Marquezj16
January 7, 2012, 08:04 PM
Damn, I did not register mine.