View Full Version : Marlin XL7

January 4, 2012, 11:43 AM
My quest for my first game rifle continues, but I think I might have a winner. I found a new Marlin XL7 in .25-06 for $270. The caliber is a little lighter than I was originally wanting, but at that price, it leaves some money to possibly justify buying a second rifle in the reasonably near future:D

My question is whether anyone has first hand experience with this model rifle. I have found a few reviews, but I have learned not to take them at face value. The one thing that caught me by surprise is that in all the commentary I have seen, this rifle is compared to the lower end of the Savage 11/111 line, but the price I found is below what I usually see for the Axis.

Should I be wary, or should i jump on this before it disappears?

January 4, 2012, 02:18 PM
That's a very good price....I see that the XL7 and XS7 keep rising in price....I've got the XS7 in 308 and XL7 in 270, both blue....couldn't be happier....

January 4, 2012, 02:32 PM
They're great rifles.
My XL7 in .30-06 is now expected to shoot 1/2 MOA or better, since it has done so every time I've taken it out. ;)

If you like it, jump.

(And then send me a PM, if you're interested in the Boyds XL7 pepper laminate (http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/BOYDS-CLASSIC-MARLIN-XL7-p/606-012.htm) stock I have. It'll add some weight to the rifle for you. It's brand new. I fired less than 20 rounds in that stock, before I decided to go light weight with my XL7.)

January 4, 2012, 02:45 PM
FrankenMauser - I may just get back to you on that stock. I will let you know.

January 6, 2012, 07:45 PM
i have a ross featherweight boyd stock on my x7vh 308 and i think they are great choices to go with.

January 7, 2012, 10:46 AM
I have the XL and XS series rifles in 7mm-08, 25-06, 270, and 30-06 calibers and am very pleased with all of them. Never had any malfunctions or breakage with any of them and they are all shooters. I have put Boyd's laminate stocks on several of them just for cosmetic reasons and it really spruced up the appearance of these rifles. The only complaint I have with the Marlin X series is that the bolt cannot be locked closed. This is only a slight impediment with me and it doesn't concern me that much, I'm just more careful and concious of this feature when I have the rifle slung over my back or shoulder. I recommend these rifles highly.

January 7, 2012, 11:21 AM
I have the XS7 (short action) in .243 and I love it. With handloads I can shoot cloverleafs all day long. I didn't like the stock, so I picked up a Boyds thumbhole, which really helped freefloat the barrel. I don't think you could go wrong - especially for the price.

January 7, 2012, 03:49 PM
I have one in .270 in Camo. Great adjustable 2 stage trigger, sub MOA, with a clearance Nitrex TR1 3x9x42 scope I got the whole rig for under $500. Killed my first deer at 150 last week and placed the shot exactly where I pointed. What's not to like? My only complaint is the magazine doesn't like to have 4 rounds in it without fiddling. Runs 3 just fine. Maybe a good cleaning and inspection will take care of it. My rifle was also missing the sling swivel on the stock. A minor QC problem. I would still recommend one to anyone.

January 7, 2012, 04:04 PM
Thanks fellas. I am working with my LGS to get it ordered, and should be able to finalize everything in a couple of weeks (darn financial responsibility getting in the way of my fun purchases:mad:). I will put up some photos when I get it.