PDA

View Full Version : And that thing in the top of the tree is . . .

Prof Young
December 28, 2011, 11:05 PM
Hunters:
So I'm squirrel hunting this morning when I see a "bulge" up in the top of a tree when a bunch of small branches come together. It's definitely not a squirrel nest and it's too regular in shape to be a hornet's nest. Closer inspection via the binoculars reveals . . . fur. It was a raccoon sleeping in the sun. Who knew raccoons had sun porches. I didn't know if raccoons were in season or what I'd do with a dead raccoon so I let him sleep. What do you do with a dead raccoon. Sell the fur? Eat it? What?

Live Well, Be Safe
Prof Young

teeroux
December 28, 2011, 11:35 PM
They are good eating, just de-gland and marinate using milk.

farmerboy
December 29, 2011, 12:02 AM
Bar B Que

Gunplummer
December 29, 2011, 01:07 AM
Yes, that is common practice for coons. They usually lay on a squirrel nest, but I have seen them lay over a thick branch on their stomach like they are dead.

bird_dog
December 29, 2011, 08:08 AM
That's one of the best ways to get them in the winter. Take a string of frigid days, and then suddenly the sun breaks out and the temps rise. Early to mid-afternoon you'll find them sunning high in the crotches of large trees, especially oaks.

Eat em. Tan the skin, makes a nice hanging. Or just observe and move on.

BIGR
December 29, 2011, 09:05 AM
Speaking of raccoons I have plenty of them. Recently had a bear, coon standoff at the feeder. Looks like they might just get along.

ZeroJunk
December 29, 2011, 09:35 AM
Leaving him alone works for me. I have eaten coon and wouldn't go to any trouble to eat any more.

Wyoredman
December 29, 2011, 01:38 PM
BIGR, BIG COON, or little bear! :D Cool pics

BIGR
December 29, 2011, 10:40 PM
Just a small bear cub, but mother bear came by one day.

Shoes
December 30, 2011, 04:58 PM
I think that geneticaly the racoons nearest relative is the bear. Maybe that explains the patients they display...

langenc
December 30, 2011, 07:42 PM
Ridding the area of coon will increase the quantity of ground nesting birds and mammals greatly.

Ditto cats.

treg
December 31, 2011, 10:31 PM
^ +1 ^

My local fur buyer is paying up to $15 for coons in the round.