PDA

View Full Version : Bump in the Night

ripnbst
December 16, 2011, 05:30 PM
People here, in gun rags, and generally all over have a love affair with the phrase "Bump in the Night"

I am curious, how many times annually have you walked through your house after having thought you were down for the night to investigate the bump in the night with a firearm in hand?

Just a rough estimate.

Mine is maybe once a year. I have dogs who sleep on the bed so if they are all there and I am still hearing it, I go check it out. If I hear noise and one of the dogs is missing, I still check it out, but I am more prepared to be yelling at a dog than brandishing a firearm.

Hiker 1
December 16, 2011, 05:34 PM
This is going to start the inevitable "clear your house yourself" or "call the cops" debate, about as ubiquitous as 9mm vs .40 vs. 45.

I'm in about the same boat - maybe once a year or so, I'll check something out, gun in hand for my own peace of mind.

Young.Gun.612
December 16, 2011, 05:44 PM
Just did it the other night with the Mossberg in hand. I sleep heavy, so if something startles me awake, I make sure its all hunkey dorey before going back to sleep.

farmerboy
December 16, 2011, 05:57 PM
Also about once a year. Also have a big German Shepherd outside and have a fenced I'n yard for the dog about an acre and a locked gate, I'n the country. But theres still things go on here just like a city but not as much but there's drugs every where and people have to get there fix one way or another. And I prefer the 40 cal myself.

BarryLee
December 16, 2011, 06:41 PM
I have a pretty good alarm system, so not too concerned about noises in the night. However, I guess once or twice a year I end up checking something out.

BUFF
December 16, 2011, 07:05 PM
Every time. It gets plenty dark in the country. And I'm borderline paranoid about all the methheads and thieves that think we're easy targets. Hearing just about every night on the news that somebody was burglarized or home invasion makes it a good idea to check every noise.

The Ruger P85 and Maglight I keep in the nightstand drawer is the first thing I grab.

TheGoldenState
December 16, 2011, 07:06 PM
My dogs alert to roughly 2-3 bumps in the night, nightly. :rolleyes:

Maybe once or twice a year.

8MM Mauser
December 16, 2011, 08:02 PM
About twice a year it seems, this summer I actually found the side door wide open, walked down my basement stairs 100% sure I would be facing a person that night. House was empty, but it freaked me out enough that I purchased a mossy 500. (previously I had been using a mosin nagant m44 carbine for house clearing, but a bolt gun just doesn't seem adequate now that I live in the city, not to mention who knows how far that 7.62 bullet will go!)

Hiker 1
December 16, 2011, 09:37 PM
previously I had been using a mosin nagant m44 carbine for house clearing

Dang! Even if you missed, you'd certainly deafen them (and yourself).

8MM Mauser
December 16, 2011, 09:58 PM
Lol yeah it probably would. At the time it was between that and a scoped hunting rifle. The city I live in has had an 11 person massacre, a shootout Between cops and bank robbers; and random drive by's just a few blocks north of my house.
Now a "bump in the night" is something I take seriously! I would get a CCW if I wasn't a poor college student with a wife and kid to support.

Scout
December 16, 2011, 10:10 PM
I have a very bad dog sleeping just outside my bedroom door. I'm not getting up unless I hear that dog eating someone.

PADefenseTrainer
December 17, 2011, 07:29 AM
I live out in the woods too and it does get VERY dark and VERY quiet.

When it's that quiet small sounds are amplified.

I probably check the house about once a month.

MTT TL
December 17, 2011, 07:56 AM
I would say about a dozen times in 25 years. The wife about the same number in the three years of me being gone.

Skans
December 17, 2011, 08:35 AM
I've done it a total of 3-4 times....ever. That would be about once every 4 years or so.

Kevin Rohrer
December 17, 2011, 08:55 AM
I have five independently-minded dogs and two disruptive step-children. I pay no attention to noises. :cool:

the only sarge
December 17, 2011, 09:28 AM
I live out in the country along the Guadalupe River in South Texas. I would run out of toes and fingers counting the A) Drunks floating the river who decide my barn is a good place to "camp".....B) illegals crossing my land heading to who knows where C) Thief's looking for tools/tractors/calf's.

We have house dogs. These are dogs who sit in Mama's lap. We have deadly pasture/barn dogs who I am scared of. Canopener is one of these ferocious dogs. He is half wolf half Husky somebody dropped out here when he was a puppy. Lots of people dump dogs/cats out in the country. His name is derived from him getting up in the bed of the truck and opening beer with his teeth.
Canopener is ferociously territorial and allows only me around the barn or in the pasture.

Anyway....when the Canopener alarm goes off he has somebody or something. I go out with a AK....usually I will find a racoon in the barn in the feed.....but often I find some terrified drunk or Mexican illegal in the feed loft with a big wet spot in their britches.

On two occasions they thought it would be a good idea to charge at me. It wasn't a good idea.

So yes I get up and check when I hear something.

Sorry to ramble here....I must say this though. I have one blinding 200'ish lumen light on the rail of my AK. Having a blinding light is the best tool to disable a threat. They lose their vision and freeze when I hit it. They have no idea what you have brought with you. While they are frozen I assure them I am armed and will kill them (in English and Spanish).

I have no desire to ever shoot anybody. When I was left with no choice it was a really lousy experience. Emotionally, spiritually and legally.

Even when you are absolutely in the right and within all the laws. You will go to the Grand Jury. You will have to hire lawyers. Your home and land will be invaded by law enforcement. Most patting you on the back saying you were right....but nevertheless your home is a crime scene.

My bottom line is to respond with a weapon I know how to use....from there ,if challenged, I will do everything in my power to get the threat to run away then call the cops.

wyohusker
December 17, 2011, 09:40 AM
I would say about a twenty times a year. I CC in my house though. To many doors breaking down in this little city with meth heads wanting money... I started CCing in the home about year ago. We have heard to many bumps in the night before we are in bed.

KC Rob
December 17, 2011, 01:24 PM
About 10-15 times a year I would estimate. I live in the country and have livestock so I have to investigate noises or disturbances. Most "bumps" are not going to be two legged, more likely 4 legged looking to make off with some eggs or chickens. I have indoor and outdoor dogs, and they often alert me of "dangerous" situations like the UPS guys is here or my wife is coming home from the grocery store. :rolleyes:

My cat often alerts me at night more than the dogs do, nothing will freak you out more than late at night and you roll over and you see the cat frozen and staring off down the dark hallway intently.

Ironically, the only serious bump in the night that I have ever had happen, the dogs did nothing, my cows woke me up. I woke up at 3:30 am, couldn't figure out why. Then I heard the cows mooing incessantly. That set my spidey sense off so I jumped up, grabbed the Kimber off the night stand and peered out the window. I looked out and saw the farmers field across the road was on fire, not there was a fire, I mean it was ON FIRE, the whole frickin' thing! It was apocalyptic. Very surreal thing for a sleepy brain to comprehend.

It took me a second to notice that there was a truck sitting at the end of my driveway, about 100 yards away. By the time I threw some clothes on and grabbed the mag light, the truck had sped off. I ran down to the end of the driveway and saw two individuals walking along my road towards me. In the middle of the night, on a dark gravel, country road, with a raging wild fire mere yards away and they are out for a stroll...yeah right. I lit them up with the mag light as they approached and they stopped. One of them was holding his stomach and said "I really need to take a dump, can I use your bathroom?" That was probably the last thing I expected him to say, but the answer was easy. "NO!" Just then I saw flashing lights as a state trooper came tearing down the road. I decided he could handle these two clowns and when he pulled up I told him I was going back to my house to wake up the rest of my family in case the fire jumped the road and we needed to evacuate. He concurred, I told I didn't know who the two late night strollers were and about the truck that had disappeared and left him to deal with them as more emergency vehicles began arriving. Overall, a pretty exciting night!

Stressfire
December 17, 2011, 01:27 PM
This morning at about 3am, actually.

Heard a crash by the front door (single story apartment, also only door) which woke both me and the fiancee up, grabbed my pistol and light out of the nightstand, stuck my tanto in my waistband, made a rather profane annunciation that I was armed and whoever was there had really picked the wrong house, and worked my way from the bedroom to the kitchen & door, about 25-30 feet or so.

What I found was the dog eating the turkey bones from dinner that night out of the trash can she had knocked over...guess next time I should investigate noises with a rolled up newspaper:confused:

Ricky
December 17, 2011, 01:31 PM
I live at the end of a cul de sac in suburbia. I have a labrador retriever that wouldn't bite anyone but he'll bark and wake me up. Unless I hear that bark that says he is scared I don't get up. Checking the the house with gun in hand is maybe a once a year thing for me.

psyfly
December 17, 2011, 05:36 PM
Pretty much once every two or three nights.

I always check.

Usually with a Colt Gov't model.

The house is pretty remote from anything but is right on a road.

I've lived in this house for 10+ years and, so far, I've never found anything.

The house was built in 1921 and has a lot of quirks.

My wife swears it's haunted.

W

markj
December 19, 2011, 04:40 PM
how many times annually have you walked through your house after having thought you were down for the night to investigate the bump in the night with a firearm in hand?

LOL, never. I have a 4 legged alarm and attack dog :) folks just seem to leave me alone, or "I am so poor crooks leave stuff at my door" :) dont know why but the motion sensored lights, 5 dogs outside, one dog inside, 45 in the pocket.....

Saw a feral cat the othr nite....

I sure do feel for those live in places where this is a needed. We all cant live at my place, but you can make your place safer and harder for folks to just walk into and surprise you. Beats getting up at nite just to look around...

DogoDon
December 19, 2011, 04:51 PM
I have yet to be awakened by the proverbial "bump in the night" in the manner the OP described. But I did have a weird experience a while back.

I was home with my 22 year old daughter and we were on the couch watching TV. My wife was out of the house and not expected back for a while longer and my other daughter was at work.

So we're sitting there and all of a sudden there's a knock ("knock-knock-knock") that sounded exactly like someone had knocked on one of the widows at the back of the house or the side of the house in the living room where we were sitting. It sounded quite close, and we both looked at each other with a surprised look. Mind you, this was about 9:30 at night. Our house backs up to woods, and no one we know (or anyone, really) would or should ever come to the back of our house and knock on the window. Our first thought was maybe my nephew who lives nearby was out there (he cuts our grass and does other stuff for us), but we were pretty sure he was not.

Now I'm starting to think this could be someone up to no good, maybe trying to see if anybody is home. So I quickly retrieved my Glock 23 from its hiding place in my bedroom and started going around to doors and widows and peeking out to see if I could see anyone. I never did see anyone or any signs that someone had been out there.

After we were pretty sure nobody was outside our house, we tried having someone go out and knock on several windows to see if the sound was the same as what we heard. Oddly, the windows that were actually accessible did not make the same sound, but when I knocked on a window that is high up near the ceiling (and at a height of maybe 12 to 14 feet about the ground outside), it sounded just like what we heard.

I guess it will remain a mystery. I suppose it could have been a bird or something, but the weird thing is it wasn't just one knock or two knocks, but three evenly spaced knocks just the way a person would knock.

DogoDon

Doc TH
December 19, 2011, 08:57 PM
Maybe 3-4 X in 11 yrs in our current residence. This is a suburban environment, with a low crime rate.
However, in a prior nearby neighborhood (also a low crime rate area) our next door neighbor was stabbed to death in her home. Crime never solved. Afterward, while we lived there I usually checked all unusual sounds with a S&W model 13 or 12 ga.

Ozhuntsman
December 20, 2011, 12:54 AM
I would say at least once a month my wife will wake me up or I will wake up to a noise, always check the house, yard, roof and street.

I live in a nice housing estate that's is a no through road that's out of town a little. But it's in a medium size country town with I big drug and alcohol problem. So never too careful.

TX_QtPi
December 20, 2011, 02:16 AM
I don't usually go through the whole house but I do have 2 Indoor Pit Bullies that are obedience and Security trained, so not too much worried about any indoor intruders.
I do get up and check every now and then if they bark, and I have another 2 outside, and they will help me clear the property if I do have to go outside gun in hand.
In general after dark my door is regularly answered with gun in hand if there is a knock or noise on the porch but mostly the dogs would alert and most people are smart enough to either ring the intercom or call out a "hello" as they approach.

ltc444
December 20, 2011, 02:50 AM
When i lived in the Valley of the sun I checked a couple of times a week. We lived next to a section of state land. "Transients" often camped in the natural area and would trespass.

Since moving to the mountains 18 months ago I have an event maybe once a month.

I did have an interesting event Oct of 2011. We were scheduled to be on vacation and some friends from the Valley were scheduled to watch the animals and house sit. The friend has been feuding with the Pinal County Sheriff. We thought it would be a chance for him to get away and let the feud cool off.

Plans fell through. About 300am my wife woke me and we observed a Laser moving around the room we hit the floor. We thought it might be one of our neighbors playing with his Laser.

The next morning I woke up about 300am flipped on the lights, looked up and a red laser was about 18 inches over my head. I flipped off the lights hit the floor.

The next morning the same thing happened.

I called my friend, an exmarine sniper and discussed the issue, the ballistics, and the scope adjustments for my 338 win Mag at 800yds. I had an idea as to the location of the hide. I also had contacted my neighbor who claimed not to have used a laser.

After the phone call the lasers stopped.

My friend came up and we tracked a two man sniper team to their hide.

I contacted the local sheriff and the FBI. Of course I recieved no feedback but the incident has not reoccurred.

I'm not a member of the "black helicopter" crowd but it was strange.

OldMarksman
December 20, 2011, 10:41 AM
how many times annually have you walked through your house after having thought you were down for the night to investigate the bump in the night with a firearm in hand?None, since I thought about it enough to realize that my firearm did absolutely nothing to prevent my being ambushed.

Before that...a couple of times over a number of years. Fortunately, there was no one in the house.

The technology is now available to enable one to find that out without getting up at all.

peacefulgary
December 20, 2011, 11:03 AM
I have investigated a strange noise in my home maybe twice a year.

bird_dog
December 20, 2011, 01:10 PM
I investigated bumps in the night twice this past year. I thought it was appropriate to carry my .45 because of the dogs' insistence that it was something important. I didn't feel silly at all, as there is some crime in our neighborhood. There are also deer and raccoons in our neighborhood and I'm guessing that's what set the dogs off.

One night a few months ago, however, my wife heard a bump in the night and woke me. I was surprised I missed it and uncharacteristically dismissed it, and fell back to sleep, since the dogs didn't seem concernced. When I awoke in the morning, the mirror in the adjacent bathroom was smashed all over the floor. The 70 year old adhesive on the back simply let go and there were mirror shards everywhere.

It could just as easily have been a window being broken. I missed it. I dismissed it. Thankfully it wasn't an intruder. I chastised myself for not taking it seriously and, potentially, putting us in danger.

jreXD9
December 24, 2011, 12:17 AM
I agree with YoungGun....I sleep heavy too and if a bump or thud wakes me I'm up until satisfied that I'm the only one up in my house. My 11 yr old, 100 lb. dog is probably not going to be much help. This happens about once a month to me. I've usually got the XDm9 or MP9c with me.

NCSU08MS3
December 24, 2011, 12:46 AM
not to stir things up but I'm surprised how many people take the "clear the house" route...

I personally take the "sit and wait" method. I hear something loud enough to wake me up maybe 4 or 5 times a year, however I'm of the mindset that they can take what's outside my bedroom door and it can be replaced and a police report can be filed, however if they come in the bedroom after me or my wife I've got 3 rounds (yeah I might need something a bit more capacity maybe...) of 12 gauge 00 buckshot from my Winchester Model 12 and 32 rounds of 9mm (13 in the well and a high cap 19 round mag to reload) from my XDM9C and a blinding 220 luman strobe from my Olight T20 flashlight by my bed for them.
So I'll sit up for a while to make sure I don't hear anything else after the initial "startle" but have always ended up just going back to sleep and going downstairs the next morning to an un-disrupted house. When we have kids I'll probably take the extra step of moving the kids to our bedroom while I wait it out for any other signs of disturbance but otherwise will stay put and let them come to me if that's what it comes to.

Phillip

Tacticool1
December 24, 2011, 01:13 AM
Whenever my dawg "Marley" goes bonkers in tha middle of the nite. Btw I have cleared my place 3ti es this month. Its maybe a weekly thing in my part of the world. I too take every "weird" noise seriously. Id rather take the extra couple minutes to protect my family than be a lazy azz n because of my laziness have my family,dog or me suffer the consequences. Btw-with my wifes help ("whatta driver wheww") made my first "middle of the nite" ARREST. Not only did he break into and rob two of my fellow neighbors but tried on us. Luckily my dog alerted and me in my nite shorts n all (my glock19,handcuffs,badge/id) went out tha door chasin this "felon" and boy seein my wife packin my .45 zoomin by me in our car was a nice site considerin my but-azz neked self. Haha. How does one describe " Im armed,off duty, have one in custody,need uniformed officer-oh and im the neked one" lolol. Too funny. Well anywhoo-We gott him. Come to find out he was an Illegal,undocumented,theiving,liar that needed catching and his time was up. Good job BBDoll (If u ever read this). So,whats to be learned?
You never know and thats exactly why i check out each n every noise i hear that is unknown to me. I GOT MY FAMILIES SIX-DO U???
People. We own firearms for a reason-well unless u only like to target shoot. Anywhoo. U get the jist. We need to protect one n other. Ourselves,our families, our neighbors,our community,OUR CONTRY. I AM TIRED OF CRIME. Go steal from your own dam family n not mine. Things r tough a as it is in my house. Yet,I dont go to your n jack your crap. Quit trying to jack my moms purse at knife/gun point and you wont get shot at. Quit coming illegally to commit crimes and get sent back when there is a right way to come here and get what u want "Work for it". I am-My family is-Our country is TIRED OF CRIME. GET THA HINT.

Sent by iPhone using Tapatalk.

Tacticool1
December 24, 2011, 01:19 AM
Damn iphone keypad.
Edit-Contrty = Country.

KC Rob
December 24, 2011, 02:02 AM
not to stir things up but I'm surprised how many people take the "clear the house" route...I personally take the "sit and wait" method....

...When we have kids...

I think you answered your own question.

I have 5 kids scattered over two floors (ground level and basement) and when I get up to check on "bumps in the night" they are what I am checking on. Number 1, making sure they are safe from any outside threat, and number 2, making sure they are not up doing some thing they should not be doing in the middle of the night...The dogs will not typically react if one of the kids is up for some reason so if the dog alerts I need to know why. I have no intention of "sitting and waiting" while someone is pulling an "Elizabeth Smart" on one of my kids. A little less sleep once or twice a month is price a I will gladly pay for the peace of mind of knowing the kids are safe in their beds.

NCSU08MS3
December 24, 2011, 02:23 AM
I think you answered your own question.

I have 5 kids scattered over two floors (ground level and basement) and when I get up to check on "bumps in the night" they are what I am checking on. Number 1, making sure they are safe from any outside threat, and number 2, making sure they are not up doing some thing they should not be doing in the middle of the night...The dogs will not typically react if one of the kids is up for some reason so if the dog alerts I need to know why. I have no intention of "sitting and waiting" while someone is pulling an "Elizabeth Smart" on one of my kids. A little less sleep once or twice a month is price a I will gladly pay for the peace of mind of knowing the kids are safe in their beds.

I think you misquoted me there in regards to kids, or maybe I was unclear... When I have kids my first priority will be to get to them and get them safe with me, but after that I don't plan on searching the rest of the house. I guess we're fortunate that the layout of our house keeps all bedrooms on the same floor (2nd) and in the same general area. I don't intend on "sitting and waiting" without my kids either (nor would I expect anyone else to).

Phillip

jimmythegeek
December 24, 2011, 03:27 AM
I kind of have to pity the poor robber, getting chased down by an armed, naked guy. I mean, armed, sure, comes with the territory. You have to expect that eventually when you go in for robbing people.

But naked? Dang. He'll be a long time living that one down.

Glad you got him and you're ok. And nice work, dog, sounding the alert.

phil mcwilliam
December 24, 2011, 07:33 AM
I'm 47 & I guess only a couple of times have I investigated a "bump in the night" with firearm in hand, but interestingly the last time was only a week ago.
I woke at 3am "bright awake" hearing the creaking of my security door. I was sort of aware that in my half sleep sometime before , I had heard something in my place.
The closest firearm was a .22 revolver, which I searched my home with, but nothing was found.
The next day a close buddy of mine rang to say he was on his way to work at 3am (trying to get work out of the way before Christmas), & stopped at an all night gas station to refuel his Ford F250 Diesel. He accidentally locked the keys in his car with engine running.
My place was closer to walk to than his home, & he new I had a spare key to his truck, & he new where I hid a spare key to my place.
I guess the motto to the story is "be careful when investigating bumps in the night".

dannyb
December 24, 2011, 08:49 AM
I had one main incident in which I did a sort of houseclear (not in the house we currently live in) with a noise coming from the garage. Checked with shotgun in hand, almost shot my car when confronted by the startled racoon checking out the trash can in the garage whose door I had forgotten to close.

My current situation is different. We have moved my mother into our house because of her advancing memory problems. She has started to sundown - wander around the house at 3 - 4 AM with a spooky look in her eyes and claiming that our son (fast asleep in his room) is outside crying. So I don't respond to night racket by running out of the bedroom with 1911 or 12 ga in hand anymore. Now I keep a discrete .380 in my pocket, but know that the noise is far more likely to be my mother "exploring" than a random home invasion. And for those inclined to give advice: yes we have locks out of her reach and alarms on the doors, no - I will not put her in a nursing home until we no longer have the ability to care for her here.

oldgranpa
December 24, 2011, 10:26 AM
this is a most interesting thread, and very real. Most houses have a wood frame, especially the roof. While wood has a very low 'coeficent of expansion', in the hot summer, the roof especially gets hot enough to produce slight expansion of the wooden rafters. Then at night, when it gets cool, slight contraction will occur, and spots with a few less nails may move producing an audible 'pop' sound which can be heard in the house below.
I've decided a number of times during the summer especially that the 'Bump in the Night' is the result of the nose from the roof.
Another case was when the gas water heater in the garage got old and would turn on with a loud poof sounding like something falling. Finally found that out and replaced the water heater!
Nevertheless, I do check the house and doors to be sure.
A noise coming from outside is a whole different thing and like those posting here, it's wise to check things out with a firearm in hand.
Mine is a S&W snub with night sights loaded with .357mag!
Ignorance are those that reject the Second Ammendment. The 'Bump' might get them!!
og

(for those with lots of very real "Bumps", sleep with some long pajama pants on so you don't get caught bare az chasing the perp! :)

Tacticool1
December 25, 2011, 01:09 AM
Ok so in response-I wasnt neked-I had my nite shorts on-BOXERS rofl. And an undershirt. But still wasnt enuff as i was freezin my buns off. Haha. As leo arrived i put weapon in my elastic to make it less threataning for them condition wise as as i instructed an officer to please take my weapon n he said thats ok. I see ur shield n ID. Keep it. I SAID NO-u dont understand- i really dont want a ND because of my glock19 fallin outta my shorts. Please secure my weapon. I had to make him take it. Lol. Gotta luv AZ. Lolol. Tooo funny.

Tacticool1
December 25, 2011, 01:14 AM
Oh fwiw-ID DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN-and i still sleep in my skippys (shorts). All be damed if worryin bout that kinda crap makes me dress different sleepin nxt to my wifee. BS. now i keep elastic pants and a warm jaket ready with shield/id cuffs and oc to make it fast n "COMFIER" rotfl.

Sheikyourbootie
December 25, 2011, 02:39 AM
Mine wasn't a "clear the house" encounter. My lab, that I trained to be my wife's hearing dog, came to ME and quietly tugged my covers off and made his way over to my infant's crib. He then jumped in and placed himself between my daughter and the window, teeth showing, hair standing, and waiting by the glass.

I grabbed the shotgun (which I promised my then gun hating wife I would never have) from the crawl space (wife woke up cuz she felt me get out of bed) handed my daughter to my wife and signed for her to be quiet, there is a thief in the house and to call 911 and hang up several times.

Went back to the window where my dog was waiting quietly. Pushed the window treatment back with the barrel to see the POS criminal trying to pry the window open as quietly as he could. He muttered an explicative, ran, hopped the fence...I opened the window and let the dog jump through the screen the bastard had cut. The dog tore him up a bit before he got out of the back yard. Cops took 20 min to get there.

After that incident, my wife has become quite proficient with a few of our guns and is no longer an anti. Let your dogs clear your house for you, they will tell you where to aim.

Hook686
December 25, 2011, 04:32 AM
hmmmm an agressive service dog ? I suspect this is a contridiction in training methodology, or terminology. You trained this service dog to be aggressive ? Intentionally ? On the other hand do you have an aggressive assault dog that you use your wife's condition to label your dog a service dog ?

Joe_Pike
December 25, 2011, 05:50 AM
Maybe once a year and my one time happened to be this morning at 1:30 when a drunk tried to break into my house. I certainly don't look forward to that happening again anytime soon.

pjp74
December 25, 2011, 04:36 PM
Typically, 3-4 times per year, we live in a pretty small town north of Dallas, there has been some crime here, but more of the drunk/disorderly type. I have a 140# Great Dane, he probably wouldn't bite anyone, but he has a bark that makes him sound like he weighs 300#. I have learned to differentiate between the "I need to go out" bark and the "there's someone/something outside" bark. KC Rob, you are correct I have two cats as well, and there is nothing that will get your adrenaline flowing, like waking up at 0230 and seeing both cats sitting like statues and having the "lock on" stare down the hallway, that will get me up every time with my LC9 and Scorpion checking my daughter's room and rest of house. Most of the times, though, our bump in the night is one of the cats getting up on the counter and knocking something down, someday that damn cat is going to be a smoking puff of fur.

war_elephant
December 25, 2011, 06:13 PM
Having read this thread, and enjoyed reading it, there is one comment that applies, ALWAYS, when seconds count the police/sheriff/troopers are minutes away. Feel better that I can defend myself. Also having a dog is a good alarm system, even a small pot licker.

Dwight55
December 25, 2011, 08:32 PM
Not meaning to be the stick in the mud guy, . . . but I don't get up, . . . or maybe I should say I don't leave the bedroom.

I know the sounds of my house, . . . my neighborhood (reallllllll rural), . . . and am ususally awakened by something out of the ordinary.

Usually, . . . just laying there for a few seconds, . . . I will identify it, . . . if not, . . . I'll sit up on the edge of the bed, . . . until I do, . . . or until I call the cops.

Nothing in my house is worth the burglar's life, . . . or my life, . . . or my wife's. Calling 911 is cheap, . . . I pay taxes for the privilege.

May God bless,
Dwight

KC Rob
December 25, 2011, 08:55 PM
You are not being the stick in the mud, you just have different "valuables" in your house than others, like in my case, my 5 kids. If I knew there was someone in my house, I would certainly call 911, or more likely have my wife do it, but I can not sit idly by and wait for them. I must respond. If I can't identify the noise that woke me up, I can't just call 911, it could very well be an innocent thing, very possibly one of the aforementioned children and I don't need the police coming every time I wake up from a bump in the night. Also, I live in a rural area, in fact I am out of the city limits of the nearest city where my post office is and where my kids go to school. That PD does not respond to a 911 call from me, it would be a county sheriff's deputy or a state trooper, neither of who are based close to me. Unless I was extremely lucky and one was driving near by, best case scenario, I am probably 20 minutes away from a responding officer. I don't have the luxury of waiting that long, I have to insure the safety of my family.

TeamSinglestack
December 25, 2011, 09:43 PM
I am curious, how many times annually have you walked through your house after having thought you were down for the night to investigate the bump in the night with a firearm in hand?

If the good Lord wanted us to stumble around the cave in the dark chasing "bumps in the night", He wouldn't have given us dogs.

:D

Edward429451
December 25, 2011, 09:46 PM
I would never call the police to clear the house unless I was positive that someone is inside. The dog lets me know if someone is just walking by, or comes into the yard by tone. Friend or foe. Foe is anyone not in the pack. I check his tone about once a month. My dog loves it when I back him up!

Sheikyourbootie
December 25, 2011, 10:05 PM
"hmmmm an agressive service dog ? I suspect this is a contridiction in training methodology, or terminology. You trained this service dog to be aggressive ? Intentionally ? On the other hand do you have an aggressive assault dog that you use your wife's condition to label your dog a service dog ? "

I trained him. The aggressiveness stemmed from the dog knowing who belonged and who didn't. As far as him biting the POS trying to break in...hell yes I rewarded the behavior.

Trained him to get her for answering the door, phone (tty), oven timer, baby crying. Trained him to stay on her left side whenever walking, and to only stop her if she was headed into danger. That dog would die to protect her or my kid. I miss that dog, as he was the best hearing dog/hunting dog and guardian we ever had.

As far as "labeling" him a service dog, for example...to get him into hotels/restaurants, no, we never did that. There are things I wanted him to do to help her around the house. Protection was one of them. He was docile to those who belonged in our house/yard.

Nordeste
December 26, 2011, 07:49 AM
Never did. I live in a block of apartments and have a Yorkshire terrier living inside with me. The door to the apartment is a hefty one, they'd need tools and make noise, and before they broke in the Yorkie would be doing their job of waking me up.

A couple of years ago, one of those terriers was a 45lbs (female) American Staffordshire Terrier. Break in, and you would have found out. She's now gone, but I'm planning on getting another Am Staff in the future. Love the breed.

Hook686
December 26, 2011, 11:08 AM
Sheikyourbootie

Posts: 156 "hmmmm an agressive service dog ? I suspect this is a contridiction in training methodology, or terminology. You trained this service dog to be aggressive ? Intentionally ? On the other hand do you have an aggressive assault dog that you use your wife's condition to label your dog a service dog ? "

I trained him. The aggressiveness stemmed from the dog knowing who belonged and who didn't. As far as him biting the POS trying to break in...hell yes I rewarded the behavior.

Trained him to get her for answering the door, phone (tty), oven timer, baby crying. Trained him to stay on her left side whenever walking, and to only stop her if she was headed into danger. That dog would die to protect her or my kid. I miss that dog, as he was the best hearing dog/hunting dog and guardian we ever had.

As far as "labeling" him a service dog, for example...to get him into hotels/restaurants, no, we never did that. There are things I wanted him to do to help her around the house. Protection was one of them. He was docile to those who belonged in our house/yard.

Impressive. It takes a lot of time, effort, patience and love to train a dog to accomplish all that. I've been working with the trainers, Four Paws For Vets, in training my service dog to be vision, hearing and mobility assistance for two years now. I understand the pack mentality of dogs, and am also aware that any aggressive behavior demonstrated by my dog would immediately disqualify his certification. The training team and I are constantly observant to this. I take my dog everywhere and kids are not the only ones who want to come up and poke my dog, or pull his tail. He has a lot of built-in tolerance. We could all benefit from his disipline.

My hat is off to you for your love, and determination shown to your wife.

pturner67
December 27, 2011, 03:13 PM
I'm with a few others here...I have a 95 pound beast who can smell and hear anything before it gets close...I sleep very well

with that said, I have had to get up once in the past before getting my dog...and it was for a real home invasion attempt

wayneinFL
December 31, 2011, 02:15 AM
I sleep soundly. It's got to be a pretty hard bump to wake me up. Sound usually doesn't do it. And I don't have a dog, so I have to rely on my wife.

It's happened probably twice that I can ever remember. Once it was a possum. The other time the A/C.

The incident with the A/C was funny. I should mention my wife does not particularly care for guns, and at that time, she did not allow them in our home. She woke me with some urgency. She followed me to the garage. I opened the door and looked inside, saw no one there, but did hear a noise- the air conditioner. I was relieved. "That's the noise? Sheesh, the way you woke me, I thought you heard a person in the garage."

That was the first time she noticed I had a gun in my hand. "Where did you get that?!" She said it with disgust, as if I had a dead rat in my hand.

"Out of the safe in the garage." :D

OuTcAsT
January 1, 2012, 11:08 AM
Maybe a couple of times per year, normally it is something benign but, you never know. ;)

bikerbill
January 1, 2012, 12:38 PM
I can't recall the last time I got up to check something inside the house, but I do get up once or twice a month when the Hound of the Baskervilles (AKA Shiner the beagle) alerts on something going on outside. I've never actually seen anything outside, but we live in a rural area and have tons of wildlife (deer, skunks, coyote) wandering around. I always take my nightstand 1911 and my Surefire 9p, have never had any reason to use the .45.

Old Grump
January 1, 2012, 02:45 PM
When I lived in San Diego it was a regular occurrence. Neighbor girl was raped and killed and we were broken into but nothing taken. Shootings and cutting were a regular occurrence in our neighborhood.

In Chicago it was 3 times in 10 years. Group of drunks trying to get in the back way through a patio door nearly got shot, they had the wrong address. Amazing how fast a drunk can sober up when faced with a barking golden retriever and my irate wife with a pistol.

Here in the woods 3 or 4 times every summer and maybe once or twice in the winter. So far a stray dog, a handful of raccoons and one drunk. The rest of the time nothing found.

CMichael
January 1, 2012, 03:08 PM
Approx. 2-3 times a year.

There are times I wake up too a strange noise. I can't fall back asleep until I check it out.

However, I have a chocolate lab. She is a good alarm. Of course, she would probably lick an intruder too death. I think she is more a watch dog than a guard dog.

briandg
January 2, 2012, 04:56 AM
When you have a great big century old house and 4 cats, the days and nights are full of noise. having a house full of cats is like living in the haunted mansion, anyway. You hear a yowl, a bit later a thud, some foot steps on the stairs, and a door will creak open, all in an hour or so.

bump in the night means laying awake for a while, and maybe counting the cats on ther bed, and it sure as heck doesn't mean calling in police.

If the situation seems to merit it, I will go check the doors and basement. I won't call in police unless I hear voices or positive evidence of an intruder. after I do, I will remotely turn on lights downstairs while concealed at the top of the stairs, and wait out anyone who chooses to come up after me.

I am at my farthest possible point of retreat. They know I'm there. they have been warned. there is nothing left to do but fight if they even step on the stairs to come up, and I can take no prisoners. these people would be shot the instant they become visible on the stairs, and that will mean head or upper torso from a matter of a less than 20 feet. I have no choice there, because I'm a clear target, too.

A short pump with heavy shot would be perfect there, but i'm not interested in blowing the stairway clean to hell.

Mr Dish
January 2, 2012, 11:14 AM
Once.

I went downstairs because I heard a squeaky door. I knew my daughter was already home and asleep (she had come home after hanging out with her friends). I walked down the stairs and scared the crap out of a friend of hers that she allowed to spend the night in the basement rather than driving home after drinking. He instantly dropped to his knees with his hands over is head like a good boy should when a girls Daddy points a gun at him.
Now she wakes me up and tells me when she has a friend over.

Rifleman 173
January 3, 2012, 04:38 PM
About 6 times a year I check out bumps in the night. Most of the time its something my kid is doing that wakes me. Not a big deal.

FairWarning
January 4, 2012, 01:54 AM
Maybe 3-4 times ever. I make a habit of living in proven safe areas, so I usually don't have much cause for concern when I'm locked inside.

I've probably heard noises more when visiting relatives in the country, although those were more likely animals. Any investigation from me will usually involve 12 GA 00 Buck backed up by 9mm.

If someone was really scoping you out, it may be a bad idea to go outside and make yourself an easy target! I would never go outside if I thought that was the case.

GM2
January 4, 2012, 03:06 AM
Sometimes I am awaken by a bump or thump But if Hodges my 105 lb German Shepard isn't raising cane I just go back to sleep. :D

45_auto
January 4, 2012, 01:29 PM
You guys lead interesting lives. Since I moved out of my parents house in 1975, I've NEVER had to go investigate a bump in the night.

My father did go to the front door with his Remington 1100 once back in the mid-1960's. The doorbell started ringing constantly at about 3 AM. Nobody was there, a spider had climbed into the doorbell and shorted it out.

Old Grump
January 4, 2012, 02:42 PM
You guys lead interesting lives. Since I moved out of my parents house in 1975, I've NEVER had to go investigate a bump in the night.In San Diego I lived on K street because a junior ranked sailor newly married doesn't have a lot of options. K street back in those days, (late 60's early 70's), was pretty bad. Today I live in the woods but I am only 7 miles from a Super Max prison in a sparsely populated county with a small sheriff's department. Average time to see a deputy pull into your yard is 35 minutes and for a non emergency it can be several hours. 50 miles from the Iowa/Minnesota border, a mile from the Wisconsin River, surrounded by a quarter million acres of DNR land and 100 miles from 3 large cities so meth makers like the isolation. It pays to be vigilant. It helps that most of my neighbors are hunters and shooters and many of them ex military.