PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 Tactical is the quality today as good as it used to be

blacksky
December 12, 2011, 04:45 PM
Looking at buying this package. I own several Savage bolt rifles, but have been looking at Remington as of late. Is the quality of the Remington products today as good as it used to be?

I'm looking at this custom package:

Model 700 Chambered in 308
20 MOA Extended Scope Base
Harris 9-12" Bipod
26" Heavy Varmint Barrel 1-12 Twist
Black Matte Finish
B&C Tactical A5 Adjustable Stock (Choice Of Color)
X-Mark Adjustable Trigger
Wyatt 5 Or 10 Round Detachable Magazine
$1400

SurplusShooter
December 12, 2011, 04:53 PM
I just bought the same rifle you did and if you can inspect it there great quality haven't shot it yet just picked it up yesterday.

TxFlyFish
December 12, 2011, 05:05 PM
I would go for 1-11 twist for the 175SMK and 178AMAX

tobnpr
December 12, 2011, 05:47 PM
I can't speak to that particular model, and every rifle's gonna be different.
But, I think you'll find very little disagreement on any precision shooting forum that Remington's quality has gone in one direction, and Savage's in the opposite...you guess which one's which...

"Out-of-the-box", I believe Savage makes a more accurate rifle. Their floating bolthead design is a plus in my book. Now, I'm not knocking the Rem. 700 as we own a couple and they're a fine rifle- I just think they've dropped the ball when it comes to giving the customers what they want. Take a look at Savage's new offerings- then look at Remington.

Hell, they don't even offer a rifle in .260 anymore- and they developed it.

Hass
December 12, 2011, 05:53 PM
seen this?

http://forums.quattroworld.com/firearms/msgs/49296.phtml

Muscrat
December 12, 2011, 07:53 PM
I have a remington tactical .308 with a leupold tactical AR scope. It's pretty awsome. I shot a walmart remington 700 243 this weekend. A buddy of mine picked it up for less than $350. I came with a scope I couldn't identify. I started to get it on paper at 40 yds and I could stack shots so that was suprising. I then shot at 100 yds I was grouping the size of a 50 cent peice with that cheap ass monarch ammo. Basically Remington accuracy out of the box is above and beyond any other guns I have had.

Go for it!!!

warbirdlover
December 12, 2011, 08:42 PM
I can't speak to that particular model, and every rifle's gonna be different.
But, I think you'll find very little disagreement on any precision shooting forum that Remington's quality has gone in one direction, and Savage's in the opposite...you guess which one's which...

"Out-of-the-box", I believe Savage makes a more accurate rifle. Their floating bolthead design is a plus in my book. Now, I'm not knocking the Rem. 700 as we own a couple and they're a fine rifle- I just think they've dropped the ball when it comes to giving the customers what they want. Take a look at Savage's new offerings- then look at Remington.

See the post on then and now.... And my NEW Remington is one of the finest firearms I've ever purchased. I can shoot with any Savage made. And it looks 100 times better then a Savage which appears to be missing the bolt parts behind the handle... :D

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471254

CTS
December 12, 2011, 08:49 PM
I think you'll find very little disagreement on any precision shooting forum that Remington's quality has gone in one direction, and Savage's in the opposite...you guess which one's which...

I have owned a few Remington 700s and a few Savages. I personally think they are on about the same level when it comes to "out of the box accuracy" but, the Remington is by far the superior quality built rifle. The Savages are built as cheaply as possible. To get a Remington 700 with the same fit and finish as the nicer Savage models, you have to buy the cheapest of the Remingtons. There is no way you are going to convince me that Savage makes anything nearly as nice as the CDLs and some of the other high end Remingtons. I looked at a Savage 114 Classic the other day and it was pretty nice, but still not a CDL, or even a BDL.

I have heard people say that the quality of Remington, Bushmaster, Marlin etc have gone down since being bought out by Freedom Group but, I know for a fact that with Bushmaster at least, this in far from the truth. The Bushmasters sold today are far superior in quality to those sold before the acquisition. :p:p:p:p:p

One more thing, the out of the box accuracy of Savage rifles is something that some of us have known about for many years. Long before AccuTriggers or Accustocks. Just because the cat is finally out of the bag so to speak, and some people are just now figuring it out in no way diminishes the quality or accuracy of a Remington 700.

warbirdlover
December 12, 2011, 09:04 PM
slappys right on. Remember. The Remington DESIGN has always been considered one of the best ever and a huge reason why Remingtons are so inherently accurate. And why our military has used them for years as sniper rifles. Just like the Savage barrel, nut design which helps them get almost perfect headspace. I don't understand why there only has to be ONE good design and ONE good shooting rifle and ONE well made rifle. Is this some law of physics I've missed somewhere? :confused::D

pabuckslayer08
December 12, 2011, 09:14 PM
I dont have one nor have a shot one but hey, I will tell you to look at the TC Icon Warlord if you want a tactical long range .308 out of the box. I seen a buddy on the range and wow, that thing shot 1" to 300 yards and by no means were the shooters professional

Ridgerunner665
December 12, 2011, 09:15 PM
Stick with Savage...or try Winchester if you're just looking for a change.

Ridgerunner665
December 12, 2011, 09:19 PM
Slappy said something about what Remington has done with Marlin...go here and see for yourself. Pages and pages and pages of utter crap they have built...

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/marlin-rant-forum/

Its enough to make a preacher cuss...

CTS
December 12, 2011, 09:26 PM
Didn't say anything about what Remington has done with Marlin. Remington doesn't own Marlin, Freedom Group owns Remington, Marlin Bushmaster and some others. I was speaking directly to the quality of Bushmaster and how it has improved over the last 5 or 6 years. I didn't say anything specifically about Marlin, but while were on the subject lets face facts, Marlin has always been a low budget firearm company.

http://www.freedom-group.com/

Ridgerunner665
December 12, 2011, 09:53 PM
Nope...Remington owns Marlin, FGI owns Remington.

Marlin has always been low budget....but after 2008 they are nearly garbage.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/manufacturing/2007-12-27-remington-marlin-firearms_N.htm

CTS
December 12, 2011, 09:57 PM
Nope...Remington owns Marlin, FGI owns Remington.

Whatever. The point is I never said anything about the quality of Marlin. And regardless of who bought who and when, they are all now owned by Freedom Group.

Ridgerunner665
December 12, 2011, 10:00 PM
Its the company structure....

Freedom Group owns Remington, Remington owns Marlin, Marlin owns LC Smith and others...

Its semantics when it comes down to it...but its still fact.

Ridgerunner665
December 12, 2011, 10:03 PM
The bottom line being...Marlin lever actions are now made in Ilion, NY...Remingtons factory.

I apologize for the thread drift...back to your regularly scheduled program :)

CTS
December 12, 2011, 10:07 PM
Not arguing the point about who owns who, I changed my previous post after I saw your link. Point is, like I said, I have never personally felt that Marlin was a high quality firearm regardless of who owned it. I do however feel that the quality of Bushmaster has greatly improved over the last several years. I don't know if that has anything to do with Freedom group or not. Since most of these companies are still operating as separate entities, I kind of doubt it means much either way.

RockRiverWhisper
December 12, 2011, 10:31 PM
Here we go again

Muscrat
December 12, 2011, 10:55 PM
YEP, remington is badass!!!

Bamashooter
December 12, 2011, 11:52 PM
I have faith that the folks at Remington have enough pride that they will continue to turn out a wonderful product like they always have done. I think the quality is as good if not better. You have to keep in mind they make bolt action rifles from $300 to whatever. You usually get what you pay for.

blacksky
December 13, 2011, 02:33 AM
I am aware of who owns who etc. and etc. My question was directed at the quality of the Remington Tactical 700 heavy varmint bolt action as posted! I own Savage and love the accuracy, from a different prespective I am looking at what the majority uses for tactical purposes. Remington 700... I have the cost down to $1250 for the rifle listed in this post. Is it worth the $$$ or should I build a Savage from scratch? :D

.300 Weatherby Mag
December 13, 2011, 02:38 AM
I have faith that the folks at Remington have enough pride that they will continue to turn out a wonderful product like they always have done. I think the quality is as good if not better. You have to keep in mind they make bolt action rifles from $300 to whatever. You usually get what you pay for.

If you think this is true... Please read this thread... There is no pride.. I paid good money and got crap....

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427633

wwd88888
December 14, 2011, 11:18 PM
I recently went through an "acquisition" by a private equity firm. One of the first things they did was lay off the QA and brand standards departments. The balance sheet was more important than quality. Seeing Cerebus buying up firearms companies gives me the willies - for a lot of reasons.

ronl
December 15, 2011, 12:04 AM
I have a .308 Remington 700 in a B&C Tactical stock that will shoot extremely well, probably as well as any Savage out there. I also have Savage rifles and in fact my Savage .223 is slightly (1/16") more accurate at 100 yds than the Remington, but the Savage barrel is only 20" as compared to the 26" barrel on the 700 and that stiffer barrel should be more accurate. As to quality, I would give a slight edge to the 700, but the edge is very slim indeed.

mrawesome22
December 15, 2011, 05:59 AM
The m700's I have bought over the last few years have all been perfect.

Remington has released more budget models over the years, but that is what the market wants.

You cannot buy a chevette and expect cadillac quality....

hounddawg
December 15, 2011, 06:13 AM
I see quite a few new Remingtons come up to the range and for the most part the owners seem satisfied. Only bad report I have heard of is one that has had a ongoing bolt engagement problem even after 2 returns to the factory, the majority seem to be decent rifles and the owners are happy. On this particular model I recently saw one that was shooting 1/2 MOA during barrel break in using Hornady match ammo. Edit - looked at the pics and it was the SPS Tactical model not the one in your pics.

I am not a huge fan of Remington's and probably never own another one myself. Not because of the quality or lack thereof it's just they have no models that interest me.

wingman
December 15, 2011, 08:28 AM
I go back many years purchasing guns my last Remington was in the 60's, yes IMO Remington and Marlin have deteriorated that does not mean they will not function for the intended purpose but quality is lacking. Modern production process, less skilled labor,profit requirements all contribute to changes, In recent years I've had more luck with Savage and Thompson center however TC has sold out so can only guess the direction they will take. The best we can hope for in today's world of poor quality control is a good warranty....;)

blacksky
December 15, 2011, 12:07 PM
As for... [QUOTE]The best we can hope for in today's world of poor quality control is a good warranty....[QUOTE]

A good warranty is only as good as the company behind it! If theses companies know that what they're building is inferior then what good is the warranty? ;) I work for a global corporation that has had it's ups and downs over the past 20 years with quality control issues. From 2005 to 2010 our products were once again built with pride in design and workmanship, with design features that made the products stand out and above our competitors. As of 2011 our largest selling product which accounts for 65% of our sales was decontented of these features to the point that I am now embarassed by what it now offers our consumers. All in the name of the once mighty $$$. Sadly in this economy and at my age I find it diffucult to change employers.
I will be purchasing a Savage model 12 in 308. :) Savage still takes pride in their products quality and workmanship and they answer the phone if and when you call. :)

GONIF
December 15, 2011, 01:51 PM
IMHO if you want a Remington ,get the 5R. The Savage is the biggest bang for the buck . :D

TheNatureBoy
December 15, 2011, 06:06 PM
My 7mm rem mag Sendero is very accuate. So is my .308 5R.

shooter_john
December 15, 2011, 07:27 PM
Five years ago I had 4 Savage heavy barreled 'precision rifle' and 0 Remingtons. I sold two of the Savages to finance a custom Remington build, and I like it so much that I off'd a third Savage to buy an older 700P that I found on consignment for $500. So, the score is now Remington 2 and Savage 1, and I seriously doubt that the score will ever fall back into Savage's favor. I wouldn't hesitate to get a Remington.

savagelover
December 15, 2011, 07:32 PM
Remington rifles are junk as far as I am concerened...I will go up against any rifle with my savage...I have tried the rem.But nothing shot like a Savage...

Joe Chicago
December 15, 2011, 07:42 PM
Based on my recent experience, I think that Remington's quality has declined recently. I bought a basic 700 ADL 30-06 in 1997 that would shoot one inch groups at 100 yards and never failed to function. This Summer I traded it in toward a Model Seven in 7mm-08 that had to be sent back to the factory due to head space issues (after firing it was nearly impossible to cycle the bolt). Undeterred, I bought a Remington 597 .22 semi-auto rifle this Fall. On the third shot it threw the extractor plunger and would not cycle. The factory sent a new bolt and told me to install it myself. After trying to mount after market sights I learned that both the front sights and receiver dovetails were machined off-center so the rifle could not be zeroed. I am sending this rifle back to the factory and demanding a refund.

I realize that many in this forum have recently purchased 700s that have performed flawlessly, as my ADL did. I hope my experiences were an aberration but cannot get past the fact that two Remington products bought three months apart failed to function and had to be sent back to the factory. This saddens me since I loved my ADL and had planned on buying other Remington products over the years.

I traded-in my Model Seven toward a Weatherby Vanguard Series 2. I wanted a TC Venture, but they are under recall for trigger sear issues and the factory could not tell me when rifles would be back in stores.

shurshot
December 15, 2011, 08:03 PM
I have been thinking about a new rifle, but its kind of hard to justify.

My Grandad's old Remington 721 (1949 vintage), is still going strong. Old, beat up, nicked, rusty, but still accurate as a lightening bolt and as rugged as a sledge hammer. And no, the Walker trigger doesn't go off when I take the safety off, no matter who many times I have tried to trick it.

Colorado Redneck
December 15, 2011, 10:21 PM
in .204 Ruger. Not the top of the line, by any means. I like the appearance of the gun. Two things:
1. Trigger was not adjustable according to the manufacturer. Of course, there are numerous sources about "how to adjust a Remington700 trigger." I figured I would just do that. Wrong. One of the adjustment screws was locked so tight that the allen head stripped out. Replaced with Timney for $120.00 The "Accutrigger" comes with most Savages and is included in the price. That was a bit disturbing.
2. Rounds don't feed for beans. Well, if I send the darn thing back to Remington to fix the feeding problem, they replace the trigger (that I paid for) and put an identical piece of crap back on the rifle. So, I can take it to the smithy or put up with this little annoyance.

If I had it to do over there would be a CZ 204 Ruger in the safe instead.

warbirdlover
December 15, 2011, 11:22 PM
Some older Vanguards are being recalled also.

http://www.weatherby.com/vanguardsafety

And here's another Weatherby safety recall.... hmmm, maybe Remington's aren't all that bad... :p

http://www.weatherby.com/sa08safety

HKFan9
December 16, 2011, 12:17 AM
I have a 700 Tactical in 6.8SPC with 110grain SMK reloads will shoot 3/8's MOA.

I also has a 700 LTR in 6.8SPC that grouped about the same.

cw308
December 16, 2011, 12:43 PM
I have a Remington 700 LTR in 308 cal. 20" brl. 1 in 12 twist. 168 gr sierra HPBT bullet. My best 5 shot group at 100 yards was through the same hole. I kept the target. I love the weapon. 200 yards average 1/2 - 1". I did change the trigger to a jewell. Only use my LTR for target shooting. Good luck & be SAFE.

phillyr121
December 20, 2011, 05:24 PM
I've been looking into buying a new Remington 700 223, also other 223 caliber rifles. Tikka, Savage, Weatherby. I noticed many of these rifles have a synthetic stock and a Palomar trigger guard. Does anybody know of any manufacturer using metal guards? or do I have to purchase one to replace it. :eek:

HKFan9
December 20, 2011, 05:38 PM
You can replace it to metal.. but I really don't see the point in spending the money for a metal trigger guard, it is not a high stress part.

k511
December 20, 2011, 05:52 PM
+1 Slappy's first post