PDA

View Full Version : Taller Sight Beads?

jonnyc
December 3, 2011, 03:15 PM
Anyone know where to find taller than stock front sight beads for a 12 ga. Mossberg barrel?

oneounceload
December 3, 2011, 04:21 PM
What are you trying to accomplish that the regular beads won't do?

jonnyc
December 3, 2011, 07:55 PM
Get a lower impact.

DPris
December 3, 2011, 09:51 PM
Try Brownells.
Denis

jonnyc
December 3, 2011, 11:37 PM
Been there...no luck with exactly what I want.

oneounceload
December 4, 2011, 03:21 PM
Maybe time to change the comb height then - works the same way, only in reverse

Slopemeno
December 4, 2011, 04:06 PM
Brownells or Midway. I had a bead assortment that had a number of beads with a small square base on them to lower the POI.

Slopemeno
December 4, 2011, 09:52 PM
It was nice to give the customer an assortment to choose from. The assortments aren't cheap, but I'm sure you could sell a few off to offset the kit cost.

jonnyc
December 4, 2011, 10:21 PM
"Maybe time to change the comb height then - works the same way, only in reverse"

Hmmm....seems like it would be a lot easier to just change one simple screw-in part.

oneounceload
December 5, 2011, 09:24 AM
Maybe time to change the comb height then - works the same way, only in reverse"

Hmmm....seems like it would be a lot easier to just change one simple screw-in part.

Depends on whether, in its current format, it FITS. if it doesn't, then making the gun fit you is a better alternative than making you fit the gun

jonnyc
December 5, 2011, 09:40 AM
The gun seems to fit and it is comfortable. It shoulders well and I've been doing well and improving at skeet/trap. The only issue seems to be impacting high on aimed fire with the 18.5" barrel. At this point, I believe a taller bead would solve the problem.

madcratebuilder
December 6, 2011, 08:05 AM
The only issue seems to be impacting high on aimed fire with the 18.5" barrel. At this point, I believe a taller bead would solve the problem.

Have you considered rifle sights for the 18.5 barrel. I changed from a bead to rifle sights on my 870 and saw a big improvement in my accuracy. YMMV.

Slopemeno
December 6, 2011, 03:55 PM
Your experience mirrors mine. Short barreled shotguns with bead-only (not bead-on-base) seem to shoot high.

publius
December 6, 2011, 07:15 PM
I would seriously consider getting a longer barrel for shooting clays. Your scores will improve in a big way.

jonnyc
December 6, 2011, 07:18 PM
Jeez oh man, man! We were talking about stock fit and cheek weld during the skeet comment! I have another barrel for that.