PDA

View Full Version : Deer hunting

markj
November 16, 2011, 05:48 PM
can be risky business. Seems a guy was shot dead in Nebraska by his hunting buddy on opening day. Was in orange so how could he have not noticed that?

Be carefull out there, be sure of the target and what is behind it before you shoot. Heck I might be standing there looking at all natures glory... so dont shoot me :) it hurts like the dickens...

Major Dave (retired)
November 16, 2011, 06:38 PM
a hunter who is required to identify his target to determine if it is a buck or a doe can shoot a person.

In many East Texas counties, if it is a buck the hunter must determine if the antler inside spread is inside or outside the tips of the ears, before shooting. How do you shoot a person instead of a legal deer under those circumstances?

Of course, failure to pay attention to the background behind the legal target explains some of it.

So what are people doing wrong?

I have heard tales of "sound shots", as in "I heard something thrashing around in that thick stuff, so it must have been a buck". "After a few shots over that way, everything got quiet, so I guess I scared him off."

Or, "I'll bet there's a buck hiding in that clump of trees over there, so I put a few rounds in there to see if I could flush him out. Nothing ran out, so I guess I was wrong."

Do things like these two terrible examples really happen?

I hope not.

stu925
November 16, 2011, 06:58 PM
I quit hunting state land a few years ago after I had a round launched over my head. I was dressed head to toe in blaze orange so I don't know how the guy didn't see me before he fired, but after he spotted the great pumpkin in his scope at the bottom of the hill he beat feet up the hill. Good thing too as I was headed up the hill to wrap his rifle around his neck for him (no way I was going to catch him the way he took off). I think he was actually shooting at one of the tree tops or maybe a bird, who knows. To this day I haven't hunted there and don't plan too again.

Stu

markj
November 17, 2011, 05:45 PM
Found out today guy killed was the mayor of his town, shooter will not be charged. Guy killed was in hunter orange too.

mete
November 17, 2011, 06:56 PM
"will not be charged" - that's the problem ! It's been common over the years to be considered an "accident" though it seems that more and more it's meant charges to the shooter , as it should. I rarely hear the details of these incidents unless local but I wonder if they are sued in civilian court by the families.

Major Dave (retired)
November 18, 2011, 10:14 AM
"Negligent Manslaughter", "Reckless Endangerment", or "First Degree Stupid"!:mad:

Cascade1911
November 21, 2011, 05:52 PM
I don't believe in "Hunting Accidents".

I have never been even remotely confused between a hunter and a deer whether they were wearing orange, camo or a fur coat. Can anyone out there tell me that if a hunter blows his nose with a white handkerchief you might mistake him for a white tail?

My opinion, if you shoot a person while hunting it is assault. If you kill them it is at minimum manslaughter. If you can't sign up for that then you should not be hunting. "Oh well, you made a "mistake". Sorry, you have to go to jail."

I wonder how many of these "Hunting Accidents" have another motive......?

Cascade1911
November 21, 2011, 07:38 PM
I quit hunting state land a few years ago after I.....

If I understand OP, said hunter was killed by "buddy". Public or private land, beware of your "buddy".

30Cal
November 21, 2011, 09:18 PM
I find out if the guys I'm hunting are idiots before I go out with them.

bejay
November 22, 2011, 05:30 AM
accidents happen without knowing all the details cant really say what the cause was, in brushy areas a hunter in blaze orange may not even be noticed even if there only 50-75 yards away from you, color blindness isnt all that uncommon either, wonder how many hunters are color blind.

sourdough44
November 22, 2011, 07:31 AM
It's usually someone in your 'party'. It makes sense, your in the same location. Areas of concern are loading/ unloading around a vehicle, & any walking to stands. Then when game appears guys can get locked into 'bagging something' & safety may be forgotten.

Never be hesitant to say something when you see a safety violation. When movement is seen or a noise heard ASSUME it could be another hunter until positively identified. One does have to look at the numbers too, with 600,000 hunters out, freaky things can happen. You need to account for that bullet, from the bore into a safe backstop.

'All the pheasants ever bred are not worth one guy dead', or a record wall-hanger.

rickyrick
November 22, 2011, 12:47 PM
The decision to take a shot or requires a lot of self discipline.
When in doubt let it go.

When I set up to hunt I mentally set up "no shoot" zones depending on the location of livestock, permanent structures, hunting blinds, areas of limited visibility ect...

There are two deer blinds within a mile in two different directions. I constantly keep tabs on where they are in relation to my position, regardless if they are occupied or not.
If I have any suspicion that others are in the area, I hang it up for the night.

In certain situations, my slice of the pie might be pretty small on some nights.
I have let many animals go because of a small doubt of safety.
I have also taken animals in the "no shoot" zones after reevaluation, usually depending on the range of the animal, ability to 100% make the shot and ammo used.

I consider removing the safety the same as pulling the trigger. All parameters for making a safe shot must be in place before removing the safety.

there are numerous other safety items that can be brought up.
I would suggest a sticky thread on hunting safety as it may help someone that hasn't been properly schooled. To assume that every one has had hunter or firearm safety classes would be foolish

Hog Buster
November 22, 2011, 02:14 PM
Let’s face it. there’s more than a few hunters out there that get so excited that they lose their powers of reasoning, or what little they posses. They see movement in the brush and all they can think about is deer. So excited at the prospect of killing a deer that they just about pee their pants. Not all are novices either, many seasoned hunters react the same way.

They have no situational awareness, or if they have it, it quickly vanishes when game is thought to be spotted. They lose their heads, the best part of them, then tunnel vision sets in. Foremost in their mind is killing the deer. The possibility that it might be something other than their quarry never enters their mind. It’s kind of like reverse buck fever, but a whole lot more dangerous.

Every twig looks like an antler, every moving leaf resembles an ear, so intent on killing a deer their mind sees things that are not what they appear. When they are satisfied that their conjured mental vision is real they blast away. Many times resulting in an avoidable tragedy.

This isn’t just confined to deer hunting. There’s a few hunters shot by others turkey hunting, hog hunting and even rabbit hunting for the same reason.

I’m sure all of us who have hunted for a while know someone like this........ and avoid them.

sallor
November 26, 2011, 10:05 PM
I once followed a deer in snow into a swamp when suddenly a shot rang out that had an odd sound (in my direction?) followed by the whizzing sound of a bullet. In a heavily hunted area-not a good idea. Get up high- stay off the ground.

Gbro
November 26, 2011, 10:50 PM
when suddenly a shot rang out that had an odd sound (in my direction?) followed by the whizzing sound of a bullet.

Your description seems tom be backwards. The bullet whizzing or however one chooses to describe it will almost certainly be followed by the report. ;)

There isn't enough information here to crucify the shooter. He is entitled to self crucify but we need more info.
I choose to Pray for all involved.

Gunplummer
November 27, 2011, 07:43 AM
I have never been involved in an accident, nor do I plan to be. The problem is nobody plans to be in an accident. That is why they are called accidents. On many occasion I have caught hunters in full camo way back on state land. They think they are so far back no one else will be there. Another classic is to wear the bare minimum (or less) of orange. A tiny orange vest that can not even be seen from the side, a bare minimum for the hat, and top it off with brown camo pants. How about a guy that hunts state land in full orange and sits in a portable camo blind completely hidden? I am not saying accidents are an acceptable part of hunting, but a lot of times there is more than one side to it. It is best to enter the woods with the idea that an accident can happen to anybody and not just some dumb ass.

Shotgun693
November 27, 2011, 10:22 AM
a guy that hunts state land in full orange and sits in a portable camo blind completely hidden?

I was on a State hunt about 22 years ago. We were required to wear so many inches of hunter orange. They then put each one of us in a camo blind. I didn't quite understand the reasoning behind the orange, still don't.

Cascade1911
November 27, 2011, 04:17 PM
I still don't get it, how many of you can tell me that if you see a man dressed in a fur coat you will have difficulty determining if it's a man or a deer? I have seen hunters take "sound" shots and fire into thick brush while never identifying the target. To me, if someone gets shot in this situation it is not an accident, it is criminal and should be charged as such.

Again, prudence dictates a hunter should make themselves as visible as possible but I maintain that a person who is not ready to accept criminal penalties as the consequence reckless gun handling or target identification should protect themselves by staying out of the field.

rickyrick
November 27, 2011, 06:10 PM
To me its a no brainer to positively identify the target before the shot is taken. Heck, before the safety is flipped, for that matter.

mete
November 27, 2011, 07:09 PM
Now there's a report from VT .Two hunters were looking for a wounded deer. One fired and found he had shot his friend .As his friend died the hunter commited suicide !

hooligan1
November 27, 2011, 07:23 PM
Unbeleivable,,:( I don't know, and can't speak for other hunters, but I never saw a deer that looked like a hunter,, and I damn sure never saw a hunter that looked like a deer!?.:mad:

the blur
November 28, 2011, 10:16 PM
I've seen guys in full camo walking across my private property 200 yards away. they look nothing like a deer.