PDA

View Full Version : Chokes for Grouse

Flapjack23
November 9, 2011, 05:00 PM
I'm new to having the option of 2 chokes in a shotgun for birds. Citori White Lightning under the tree this year (actually in the safe, but...). I'm thinking for the thick north Michigan woods in search of Grouse I should be looking at a skeet choke in the under barrel and an IC in the over. Most shots should be 20 yds or less. Any other combos I should think about? Other thoughts?

Andy

oneounceload
November 9, 2011, 05:04 PM
If you get shots that far (20 yards) on grouse, then your combo is perfect, otherwise Cylinder and Skeet will also work - depending on the climate and temps, make your shot larger - say 6 or 5 for your second shot

BigJimP
November 9, 2011, 05:55 PM
Choke for the kill range.../ or what choke will give you the 30" pattern and the density - at the kill range you want...

So at 20 yds - 25 yds ....Skeet / Imp Cycl will work fine ...or maybe Skeet/Skeet or even IC/IC depending on what you have for chokes.

At 25 yrds - 30 yds I'd go IC/Mod or maybe IC/Light Mod if I had it.

Because you may get some areas with longer shots...I'd usually carry a couple of Skeet, a couple of IC's, a couple of Mods and an Improved Mod ...in a plastic tackle box in my vest.

thinkingman
November 9, 2011, 06:16 PM
I bought some 20ga 1oz 8's for grouse and quail.
Been very effective inside of 10yds...not much experience out farther.
My theory is smaller shot=denser pattern given the choke.
I may be technically flawed but the birds have dropped deader than dead.

jrothWA
November 9, 2011, 08:30 PM
ordered specifically for skeet and grouse, the chokes are SK1 & SK2.

Have used for Pheasant over dog (mine) and 3" mags for late birds.s

With tube you can adjust and you think.

rbursek
November 9, 2011, 11:39 PM
When I paterned my Citori the tubes all ran tighter then specs for that particular choke, Invector screw ins, maybe the standard was set before modern one piece wads. I hunt grouse in WI without a dog and most shots were about 20yds max. I ended up cutting the fingers on the wads off half way, used 1oz of 6's with great sucess, Cylinder and Imp C. It does not take much to kill a grouse.
Bob

glc5011
November 9, 2011, 11:50 PM
Open chokes for grouse no doubt nothing over modified but be careful with the small shot I would go 7.5 and larger, small shot kills birds up close but wounds them further out..I have finished off a lot of pheasents that were hit with under sized shot and couldn't fly but lived for days. Shotgun terminal ballistics matter just like bullets do.

Flapjack23
November 11, 2011, 02:49 PM
I just got Cylinder and Skeet tubes today. Gun came with IC/Mod/F. Guess the right answer is to pattern and see what shoots best. I'm currently using #6 shot for grouse for all around shooting. Thinking I might buy some #7.5 for the cylinder tube for 10yd shots, #6 for skeet/IC tubes in 2nd barrel. What shot size does everyone else use? Thanks for the comments so far.

Andy

oneounceload
November 11, 2011, 03:11 PM
As the temps get colder and the feathers get thicker, with close shots, I think you have a winning combo in 7.5 and 6. Next to chukar hunting, grouse in the woods and rough close terrain are a real challenge

Henneman
November 16, 2011, 06:25 PM
I hunt northern WI. I use SK/IC early season and IC/Mod later. More importantly, don't use cheap 7/8 oz. 20 ga shells, or 1 oz. 12 ga shells. Sometimes these are labeled Dove & Quail. A quality 1 oz. 20 ga will be more effective than the cheapest shells. Good trap loads are satisfactory for 12 ga. I also tend to use 7 1/2 early, then some 6's later when they flush farther away. Despite the above, I doubt you would be disadvantaged by using SK/SK the whole season.

grousechaser
November 17, 2011, 12:13 PM
I've been using an over under 12 choked skeet/skeet for the past 30 years and it is fine. You don't need much to knock a bird down. High brass in the second barrel takes care of the birds beyond 30 yards. The grouse care still winning though.

grousechaser
November 17, 2011, 12:15 PM
"are still winning though"