PDA

View Full Version : S&W 5906 - Best 9mm Ever Made?

graysmoke
September 19, 2011, 09:01 AM
I have read in different Gun Magazines, and told by experienced Gunsmiths that the Smith & Wesson model 5906 is the Best 9mm Handgun ever made.

The 5906 model their refering to is the all Stainless Steel with the Rounded Trigger Guard, Stainless Trigger and Hammer.

Hard to find these days.

Now, those that own that model or know of it. How many of you feel that way?
Because I had that 5906 in very good condition, that I sold 2 years ago. And today considering on buying another.

AustinTX
September 19, 2011, 09:12 AM
It's a ways down my list, but I still think it's a very good gun.

overkill0084
September 19, 2011, 09:15 AM
There are some really good 9 mms out there. "Best ever made" is is a pretty bold statement. I'm sure any number of other makers would have issues with it.

Uncle Malice
September 19, 2011, 09:20 AM
I would certainly disagree to it being the best 9mm ever made. With that said, it's a solid gun.

scottycoyote
September 19, 2011, 09:38 AM
you will find a lot of smith auto fans out there, especially 3rd gen smiths. Ive got a 5906 and a 6906, great guns, solid, metal, go bang every time. Before the plastic pistols came to be they probably were the best, but my problem with them is weight for ccw...its just too much.

roman3
September 19, 2011, 10:36 AM
Best ever :confused: hmmm

They are great guns that have actually grown in popularity (all the 3rd gen smiths too) as time has gone by.

At the time they were introduced I don't recall that they were great sellers or that there was a huge clamor for them. I recall a general apathy toward Smith autos but a vast love affair for smith revolvers.

Seems like if they were the best they would have been so recognized when they were new.

And most I see are available for under $400, if they were the best wouldn't they garner bigger payouts to own?

Still a solid great all steel gun in a world that has gone away from such steel products.

DBLAction454
September 19, 2011, 10:37 AM
I would put the 92FS above the SW but it is a very nice 9mm :)

yustinus1973
September 19, 2011, 10:40 AM
I dont know about best ever, but for me its close, at least S&W 3rd gens are some of my favorite pistols ever, have owned four over the years.

pgdion
September 19, 2011, 10:59 AM
Personally, I don't think it's the best, but it's certainly in the top 10 (maybe the top 5 for me). I picked mine up about a year back (police trade-in) and it is definitely a gun that will never be sold. Love my 5906 and it's a blast to shoot but there are still 2 or 3 others that I like better. The down side is probably it's heavy. The upsides are it's heavy, reliable, shoots straight, has mild recoil, a good grip, and is all SS. This thing is like a tank and I'm pretty sure it's impossible to wear one out. Those who shoot it are always impressed by the 5906 too. I like it a lot but I think it's about #3 on my list.

18DAI
September 19, 2011, 11:05 AM
In its Performance Center variant with match grade barrel and Briley bushing, maybe...

I'd rate the 5906 right up there in the top three or so.

Personally I feel the 3913/3914/3953/3954 are the best 9mm pistols out there. :) Regards 18DAI

Single Six
September 19, 2011, 11:13 AM
I am, first and foremost, a Ruger guy. But, my PD issued the 5906 for a while back in the early 1990s, and I had no complaints. If I had to stake my continued well-being on a 9, I would have no qualms about using the 5906...very solid, very reliable.

10mm4ever
September 19, 2011, 11:54 AM
"The best ever made" might be a stretch. To claim that title, it would have to best the Beretta 92FS, CZ75, SIG226, BHP and one or two others. I will say it's in the top 5-6 and that says ALOT in and of itself. Considering how many excellent, modern pistols have been designed around that cartridge alot of it comes down to things that are more subjective in nature.

carguychris
September 19, 2011, 11:56 AM
I'm wary of any claim that any particular product is the "best ever" because it always depends on what criteria you're using.

That said, the M5906 is very good if you want a heavy, thick, full-sized, complex, all-metal DA/SA automatic with a decocker/safety and a mag disconnect. ;) That said, the 92FS and the SIG P226 are also good choices, although their manual of arms are somewhat different.
Personally I feel the 3913/3914/3953/3954 are the best 9mm pistols out there.
I have to agree to some extent because they're much lighter and more concealable. I also have a soft spot for the full-size and sadly short-lived alloy-frame single-stack M3903/3904/909.
At the time they were introduced I don't recall that they were great sellers or that there was a huge clamor for them. I recall a general apathy toward Smith autos...
They were expensive. They were big and heavy, with the possible exception of the alloy-frame single-stacks, although those weren't featherweights either. The DA triggers were never as good as the DA trigger on a K frame revolver, perhaps an unfair comparison, but an inevitable one. The earlier-generation pistols were flawed in some respects- the absence of a positive firing pin block forced 1st-gen users to rely on the clumsy slide-mounted safety, the frame finish on the 1st-gen pistols wears off if you breathe on it wrong, and some users found the blocky straight-backstrap 59-series grip frame to be very non-ergonomic. The optional adjustable rear sight, although great at the range, is oversized and (let's face it) looks hideous when you're not aiming. Some buyers never did, and never will, get over an aversion to mag disconnects. (I like them, and I frankly wish my M&P had one, but I'm in the minority.) The list goes on.

Don't get me wrong- I like S&W TDAs, but I understand why many others don't.

chadio
September 19, 2011, 11:59 AM
Disclaimer - never owned or operated or even held the 5906.

However, considering the faithful testimony of the SIG Sauer P226, Beretta 92FS, and Browning HiPower shooters, the S&W - Best 9mm ever made is a bit of a bold statement.

I wish I had extended ownership of 'one of each' and could choose for myself.

StrikeFire83
September 19, 2011, 12:10 PM
Glock 17/19, CZ-75B, Sig 226 are all superior in my humble opinion.

Putting my money where my mouth is, as I've shot all three and own two of them.

graysmoke
September 19, 2011, 12:43 PM
I do realize that saying the 5906 is "The Best Ever" 9mm is a Bold Statement.

But it's not me saying that....It's what I have read from articles in many published Gun Magazines, and talkiing to a few Gunsmiths about it in my travels.

The 5906 model previewed by writers as being the Best 9mm is the one thats all Stainless Steel with the Rounded Trigger Guard, Stainless Trigger and Hammer.

Today not an easy one to find....That's the model I regret selling a few years back.

C0untZer0
September 19, 2011, 12:58 PM
Guns are like cars - someone can say the Shelby Mustang was the best car ever invented or built.

Ok... really? If you're coaching little league, you get your team to the pizza parlor how? You're a mom who needs to go grocery shopping, drop your oldest off at the hockey rink with all his gear, you're youngest at soccer practice, and take your middle daughter to cello practice... No problem - you've got the best car ever made - the Shelby Mustang.

You're an average guy communting to work every morning and just trying save on gas...

I never liked safeties that flipped up, I never liked slide mounted safeties. There are people who will flat out tell you that any pistol that has a magazine disconnect safety cannot be the "Best" - magazine disconnects suck.

Other people will tell you that the DA/SA trigger system takes it out of the running for "best".

It may be the "best" pistol for people who love variable tigger pull and really like slide mounted safeties on really heavy 9mm pistols with magazine disconnects.

roman3
September 19, 2011, 01:04 PM
Is it even the best among the all steel 9mm's? Questionable. It certainly is a challenger and is often quite a bit less expensive than other steel guns.

Sig P210 (not a high cap I know but among the elite)

Walther P88

Walther P5 (another non high cap)

Browning High-Power

HK P9

HK P7

CZ 75

C0untZer0
September 19, 2011, 01:05 PM
I really wish all of the gun magazines were digitized going back to 1979. I'd love to search them not only to see how many times gun writers said this that or the other firearm was "the best", but just to see how many times those gun writers contradicted themselves when they stuck the "BEST" label on whatever they were reviewing that week.

I think I'd find that there was a "best" du jour... And you could probably tell what brand it was going to be without looking at the actual write up - but just by counting the advertisements in the magazine.

Seven ads by Sig-Sauer? Wow - it must be this months "best" combat pistol!

BarryLee
September 19, 2011, 02:25 PM
I own a 5903 which has the alloy frame, but otherwise I believe it is the same as the 5906. I also own a Beretta 92FS and SIG 229 not sure I would say the 5903/5906 is the best ever, but it is a very good platform. I would definitely say the 5903 is a gun I never intend to get rid of and still enjoy shooting.

gyvel
September 19, 2011, 02:47 PM
S&W 5906 - Best 9mm Ever Made?

Ummmm...No.

Had two, was happy to dump them. (As well as a 4006, but that's another thread.)

10mm4ever
September 19, 2011, 02:57 PM
The Smith 3rd gens were just excellent, period.

Skans
September 19, 2011, 03:52 PM
I have read in different Gun Magazines, and told by experienced Gunsmiths that the Smith & Wesson model 5906 is the Best 9mm Handgun ever made.

Shhhhhh. I have a 659 and still want a 5906.....I see no reason why you need to go around telling folks about these guns - Glocks are much better.

gc70
September 19, 2011, 06:41 PM
I wouldn't say the S&W 5906 is the best 9mm ever made, but given its construction, quality, and current police trade-in prices, it is very high on the list of best value for the money.

TGDKY
September 19, 2011, 07:03 PM
My 5906TSW is by far my most accurate handgun. As for reliability Its never even choked on 1 round. It will feed anything and is accurate with anything. Period.

Sturmgewehre
September 19, 2011, 10:40 PM
I own a 5906 and will keep it forever. I don't shoot it much but it is one of the best 9mm's I've ever owned. I was sad to see them go out of production.

The best ever? I don't know about that but it's darn good.

BDM 9MM
September 19, 2011, 11:11 PM
Very good pistol and it is on my "Top Five List" for 9MM pistols. My #1 slot is reserved for the Browning HP. Sorry!

TennJed
September 19, 2011, 11:20 PM
It is by far the best 9mm I own!

Southern Rebel
September 20, 2011, 01:39 AM
It makes no sense to label any gun as "best" without having a known set of parameters on which that judgement is to be made. Of all the females who have used my 5906 in their first shooting sessions, it would rank as their most favorite, but they had no experience in trying to carry a heavy gun. They just liked the ease of use, manageable recoil and high capacity.

It is one of my favorite guns to take to the range, but definitely is not a carry gun for me and that one factor would eliminate it for me as far as the best 9mm ever made.

cdsdss
September 20, 2011, 01:51 AM
I agree that they're solid guns, but mine had a creepy DA trigger, and was far more ammo finicky than my Sig P229 or Walther P99. This would, IMHO disqualify it from the running for "best."

chack
September 20, 2011, 02:10 AM
It's my favorite, but I own alot more rifles than handguns.

pgdion
September 20, 2011, 08:23 AM
Shhhhhh. I have a 659 and still want a 5906.....I see no reason why you need to go around telling folks about these guns - Glocks are much better.
hehehe ... I hear you. I picked mine up last winter and am really glad I did. It is definitely a gun to have and keep. I bought it because I always wanted a steel frame Smith auto and wanted it just for what it was. I have to say after shooting it the first time I was really surprised ... Very Nice! I'd say it's my 3rd favorite but probably my 2nd best shooter (1st place in all categories does go to that 92FS). Took a little looking to find a clean police trade in but the gun was an excellent value. My thanks to the LEO that took such excellent care of this one. :)

Wishoot
September 20, 2011, 10:44 AM
No. It's not the "Best 9mm Ever Made"

It's a great gun, there's no doubt about it. It's reliable and reasonably accurate too. But I would put the CZ75B, Browning Hi-Power, Glock 19 and Sig P226 in front of the 5906.

Just my opinion....

Amin Parker
September 20, 2011, 11:33 AM
Maybe not the best but definately under rated for sure.

kealil
September 20, 2011, 11:47 AM
There are many types of "best" out there. The 5906 fits like a glove into my "best" category.

It is reliable, eats anything, takes a licking and keeps on ticking, accurate, AND safe(the decocker does it for me). If you are looking for a featherweight wondernine, this isnt it. I dont care about weight. I'll an extra couple of pounds if I know that when I pull it out it will work with no issues.

The reason above are alos why I like and carry the 4506.:D

745SW
September 20, 2011, 01:04 PM
I would agree S&W made very good auto-loading handguns but 9mm Parabellum is a very common cartridge chambering made by the majority of makers. IMO 9mm is the only auto-loading handgun cartridge that works well in terms of reliability throughout all designs, blowback, breach locks, hammer, striker, single column magazine, double column magazine and plastic/aluminum/steel receiver.

5906 being all steel with a 4” barrel and hammer should be exceptionally reliable in terms of ammo sensitivity and limp wristing although not quite a full size gun. I believe full size for 9mm would be something like a 4.5” or longer.

Walt Sherrill
September 20, 2011, 01:21 PM
A good, solid handgun. And, given current prices, one helluva deal. Unquestionably a very competent, reliable gun, nicely finished, etc.

But if, as some have claimed, it's the best 9mm they've ever owned, they've simply not owned that many quality 9mm semi-autos.

(Ones that are better, to my way of thinking, include: Browning HP, Glock 19, Glock 34, SIG 228, and CZ-75B.)

JWT
September 20, 2011, 01:22 PM
Best ever? To me that is largely in the eyes of the beholder.

My 5906 is a very, very good gun. Solid as a tank, accurate, light recoil. It is a bit heavy, but happens to fit my hand well. I would never consider getting rid of it. Is it the best ever, perhaps not, but certainly one of the best IMO.

Leejack
September 20, 2011, 02:47 PM
Best, is what's best for you. Everybody has their favorites.

I've shot many and owned several, and I must say, the 9mm I've enjoyed the most over the years is the PT92.

GONIF
September 20, 2011, 04:46 PM
CERTANLY NOT THE BEST ,NOT EVEN THE BEST S&W HAS EVER MADE .The Best S&W is the 952.
my take on the best 9mm
Sig 210
H&K P7PSP
S&W 952
Sig P226
Beretta 92
CZ75
Walther 99
Glock17
H&K P9s
Browning HP
S&W 59

NickW
September 20, 2011, 07:15 PM
Not going to go down the "Best Ever" road; however, the 3rd gen Smith's are indeed some of the best auto's ever made. The good thing is you can get Police Trade-ins for $350 - $450 perhaps cheaper in some parts. I really like the short trigger reset that breaks oh so clean.

kristop64089
September 20, 2011, 07:26 PM
I'm not going to get into the "best" argument. Other than to say a Hi-Power or CZ 75(in DA/SA) is heads and shoulders above the S&W.

I had 1, and while I really liked the gun, I despised the weight, and the trigger was less than light. Accuracy was good, and I thought it would be a good HD gun, but than came the M&P, and good bye 5906.

"Best" is subjective. Is it a GREAT all around gun? You Bet!

Onward Allusion
September 20, 2011, 08:58 PM
Best? Probably not, but for sure in the top 5. The 5906 while a total garbage eater and fairly accurate (btw, the TSW is super accurate for a combat pistol) is over engineered. This is coming from a 59xx fanboy who has a dozen of 'em in different variants.

checkmyswag
September 20, 2011, 09:07 PM
Looked at 2 3rd gen smiths at the shop today.

I'm not good w the model numbers.

one was 9mm, the other 45

9mm was ok shape for $300 and the 45 was in very good shape for $495

Bought neither.

Alexander
September 21, 2011, 07:43 PM
Best? Probably not, but for sure in the top 5.

It's a good gun but I would say it's for sure not in the top 5 or the top 10. All of these are definitely better 9mm guns IMO in quality. I'm sure I left some out too.

Browning HP
S&W 952
Beretta 92
Beretta PX4
H&K P7
H&K USP
H&K P30
Glock 17/19
CZ75
Walther P88
Walther P5
Walther P99
Sig P210
Sig P22X (older ones)
Steyr M9

NVBigEd
September 21, 2011, 08:01 PM
That's like saying "strawberry" is the best ice cream ever.... There are so many very good 9mms... I doubt that unless one puts some condition, "the best all steel" or something, that there would, or could ever be a "best 9mm".

Although there's a bunch of guys that recently bought Sig P210 Swiss army surplus guns that would argue strongly for that gun!

Walt Sherrill
September 21, 2011, 08:25 PM
That's like saying "strawberry" is the best ice cream ever.... There are so many very good 9mms... I doubt that unless one puts some condition, "the best all steel" or something, that there would, or could ever be a "best 9mm".

Although there's a bunch of guys that recently bought Sig P210 Swiss army surplus guns that would argue strongly for that gun!

I had a SIG P-210-6. It was a marvelously accurate weapon, but it wasn't perfect. (It could use only 8-round mags that cost a fortune, had a European-style mag release, and some sharp edges -- like the rear sight -- that could leave you bleeding. The hammer would also badly bite some hands.)

The 210 might be the MOST ACCURATE 9mm that most of us are likely to shoot, but I wouldn't say it was the best 9mm -- unless the only criteria was accuracy. And, even then, the newer SIG X-fives would give it a good race, and do it without the negatives listed above.)

Rspeters
September 21, 2011, 08:28 PM
I've had lots of 9mms and the first and only 9mm that is in my 'never going to sell' category so far is my 3913 which is just a single stack version of the 5906. I can't say enough about it and anyone who shoots it loves it too.

bac1023
September 21, 2011, 08:29 PM
Certainly far from the best ever. Its a good pistol, but even S&W made far better 9mms, in my opinion.

graysmoke
September 21, 2011, 08:40 PM
My research on the S&W 5906 shows that it was widely used nationwide by most all Law Enforcement Departments. And for a long period.
That say's something...

And when there was a change in sidearms. Many Police Officers purchased their 5906 instead of turning them in.

C0untZer0
September 21, 2011, 09:12 PM
No

spodwo
September 22, 2011, 05:36 AM
Definitely one of the best....hands above any polyplastictupperware pistol. And I own many polyplastictupperware pistols! :D

I think the Sig 210 is above it [the original - not sure about the new one].

Browning? Older versions.

CZ75? Maybe.

itchy1
September 22, 2011, 06:15 AM
quote:
"I wouldn't say the S&W 5906 is the best 9mm ever made, but given its construction, quality, and current police trade-in prices, it is very high on the list of best value for the money."

Couldn't have said it any better:)

Walt Sherrill
September 22, 2011, 07:02 AM
And when there was a change in sidearms. Many Police Officers purchased their 5906 instead of turning them in.

Not surprising, when you understand that most such guns are sold to the police officers substantially below the going market price -- and they can later resell them for a profit.

I've bought a few such guns from police officers. Sometimes they keep them; sometimes they sell them. It's unusual when they don't buy them. (The only one my son has considered a keeper is a SIG 226; his agency upgraded to M&Ps, which he likes a lot.)

Ex police guns are generally a good deal, as darned few LEOs are really gun enthusiasts, and most are carried a lot and shot a little. The only real problem with most of them is holster wear.

csmsss
September 22, 2011, 07:50 AM
I'm sure the Model 59 is a fine gun, but I would never want one because of the DA action. I'd much rather take my 9mm (if I'm required to ttake a 9mm, that is) in a 1911 frame. There are plenty of them out there.

federali
September 22, 2011, 11:12 AM
Different guns are good for different people and needs. Hard to identify one gun as the best. For I time, first and second generation Smiths carried and felt like bricks, leading one to believe they were designed by humanoids. I'd love to see a re-issue of the Smith Model 39, a gun nearly as ergonomic as a Luger or Browning HP and reasonable enough for CCW.

Motor City Gunner
September 22, 2011, 11:37 AM
Glock 17/19
Browning Hi-Power
Beretta 92FS
Smith & Wesson M&P Pro Series
Ruger P95

Just my 2 cents.
If I left your favorite out it's because I haven't had the chance to fire it.
I can't comment on a gun I haven't handled.

10mm4ever
September 22, 2011, 03:11 PM
Let's just say, if one were looking for an all steel 9mm service pistol with a slide mounted hammer drop safety, they'd have a serious challenge to find a better one for the $$$$$!

Onward Allusion
September 22, 2011, 03:52 PM
The only real problem with most of them is holster wear.

Yeah, the holster wear can be pretty horrible! Thankfully one can bead blast somewhat easily and cheaply. Gotta love that about matte stainless.

10mm4ever
September 22, 2011, 05:30 PM
Yep, s/s can be beadblasted and even sanded on the side flats with superfine sandpaper for a "brushed" finish. It can also be polished to a mirror like shine, if one prefers.

bege
September 22, 2011, 06:09 PM
I had one back in the late 70's, it was unreliable.

dgludwig
September 22, 2011, 06:10 PM
I don't know if it's the very best (the SIG 210 and the Smith 952 come to mind) but the Model 5906 is certainly one of the best 9mm pistols ever made in my experience.

NickW
September 22, 2011, 06:51 PM
I had one back in the late 70's, it was unreliable.

The 5906 was not introduced until 1989. You are mixing you generations.:confused:

RC20
September 22, 2011, 10:17 PM
There are some really good 9 mms out there. "Best ever made" is is a pretty bold statement. I'm sure any number of other makers would have issues with it.

Bugger the mfgs, I have a problem with the statement.

Best 9mm ever made is the one you like the best (my definition of what I like is one that's 100% reliable)

My Sig SP2022 has been flawless in function, that's the best 9mm ever made!

On the other hand the HK P30 has the best grip ever made.

Now if I could combine the two.......

Kaiser T
September 23, 2011, 07:14 AM
Best 9mm ever made is the one you like the best

+1

johnbt
September 23, 2011, 08:14 AM
Now we're judging guns based on feelings and not on function? If somebody says their favorite 9mm is a Jennings you'd agree?

carguychris
September 23, 2011, 08:35 AM
The 5906 was not introduced until 1989. You are mixing you generations.
+1, a late 70s S&W double-stack pistol would have been a Model 59, a 1st-gen TDA pistol. As I referenced in my earlier post, these pistols have some well-known flaws. They had a poorly-designed two-piece barrel bushing that gradually comes apart with extended use, and some individual pistols had trouble feeding certain types of JHP ammo reliably. Also, there's no ambi safety, there's no positive firing-pin block when the decocker/safety is disengaged, the grip has the ergonomics of a 2x4, the sights have sharp edges that tend to snag clothing, and the finish can't withstand long-term holstering.

Used prices reflect this; unless a M59 is in truly LNIB collector-grade condition, it's generally one of the cheapest 9mm pistols you can buy.

These flaws were all fixed when the M5906 came out, but I think many users had already written off S&W pistols, which was unfortunate.

RC20
September 23, 2011, 11:28 AM
Now we're judging guns based on feelings and not on function? If somebody says their favorite 9mm is a Jennings you'd agree?

The full quote is that is defined by the one that functions flawlessly.

If its not as near to 100% flawless function as possible then its a piece of interesting junk. (I will allow a bad cartridge to be the cause, but it better be so bad it function in no gun) .

The rest is how it suits you. If I could not find a hammer fired that function 100% I would buy a Glock.

johnbt
September 23, 2011, 03:56 PM
That part didn't get the big +1.

If the 5906 didn't have a slide mounted safety and weigh 3 ounces more than an all-steel CZ-75B I might like it a little more. And the CZ's barrel is 0.7" longer than the 4" barrel on the Smith. As it is, I have trouble getting the 5906 up near my top 10. I can see why some folks like them though.

John

Laserlips
September 23, 2011, 05:56 PM
JMOfartO:

Is the S&W 5906 the "best" 9MM ever made?

I seriously doubt it.

But ~ it's good enough to be my choice for that "bump in the night" noise we are all so paranoid about..

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_9862.jpg

My "Job 1" for a firearm used for self defense is RELIABILITY... The only person I've ever voice a complaint that his 5906 was unreliable is forum member "bege", and bless his heart HIS 5906 was unusual in that he owned one a decade before they were manufactured for the rest of us..

(Just kiddin' bege, no offense)..

Or, ALL 3rd Gen Smiths have a reputation for absolute reliability... I can't say "all", but I can say from personal experience MY 5906/6906/3913/3913LS/CS9/CS45 (if the last two are considered 3rd Gens) have all been 100% reliable.

The 5906 is relatively large and heavy, but it's accurate and reliable... Add a Crimson Trace Lasergrip and it becomes very, very accurate..

The Smith I carry concealed when I want a larger cc weapon than my LWS380, or LCP is the CS45... Not too heavy, pretty concealable, and offers the nice "flying ashtray" round designed to stop drug-crazed Moro natives in the Philippines during WW2.

Don't expect any drug crazed Moro natives will come a callin' here in S.E. Ga. but the plain old "drug crazed" common stock variety are in abundant supply.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_0030.jpg

Of all of my 3rd Gen Smiths, it seems the 3913LS is a favorite with lots of folks who comment on such things on the various firearm forums.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_9811.jpg

The 3913LS is very thin and easy to conceal, but IF I were going to carry one of my 3rd Gen Smiths for cc it would be the little brother to the 5906, the 6906..

I use the 15rd mags from the 5906 (w/S&W mag adapter), and I get high capacity, but still in a reasonably easy to conceal compact 9MM pistol.. (photo shows 6906 w/standard fingertip mag).

All to say I love all 3rd Gen Smith pistols... So far, never had one so much as "burp"... All reliable, all accurate... All the time..

Can't speak for everyone who has had the opportunity to own or shoot a 3rd Gen Smith pistol in general, or the 5906 in particular, but I can say finding someone with bad things to say about them takes a little doin'..

No offense to anyone. If you disagree with my opinions you could be right, but I don't care either way. (I'm old and opinionated anyway)

Best Wishes,

Jesse

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_9825.jpg

NickW
September 24, 2011, 08:09 PM
Nice collection Jesse and well said.

skimann2000
October 2, 2011, 09:23 AM
I own the 5906 with square trigger guard. It has always been reliable and accurate since the rear sights on mine are adjustable it needed only a little adjustment for my style. I douibt I will ever get rid of it and if it ever needs parts it will go back to S&W for performance tune up.

graysmoke
November 14, 2011, 07:52 PM
I just purchased a pre-oened 5906 with rounded trigger guard with stainless hammer & trigger....Took it to the outdoor range today, fired Federal hydra shok and tried the Gold Dot through it....Fantastic!....But, I prefer my Beretta 92fs.

Fishbed77
November 14, 2011, 08:38 PM

It's certainly a decent gun, but far from the best ever. A number of better 9mms instantly spring to mind...

-Walther P88 (Now this might really be the best 9mm ever made.)
-Sig P210
-Walther P99
-CZ75
-H&K P7

Winchester_73
November 14, 2011, 09:03 PM
The best 9mm ever made?

It has to be a gun in this photo!

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww332/357SandW/9mms2.jpg

Or maybe this one? The 3913

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww332/357SandW/GEDC0018.jpg

I actually have mad respect for this 9mm design (it is great, believe it or not) Glock 19

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww332/357SandW/My%20guns/IMAGE_00044.jpg

hAkron
November 15, 2011, 12:07 AM
I'm not much into S&W semi autos, but I've shot a couple of M&Ps which didn't do much for me personally, but I understand the appeal. I have a friend who purchased an S&W 669 as new in box a few months ago at a gun show. We've both tried very hard to like this gun. I appreciate the classic S&W auto looks and all, but the gun just feels in my hand like a square peg in a round hole. I'm not sure how it compares to the 5906, but I would much prefer a CZ, a Glock, or a Sig in my hand.

Laserlips
November 15, 2011, 09:15 AM
hAkron:

Respectfully, you need to actually hold and if possible fire a 3rd Gen Smith before you form too much of a negative opinion about it.

Never had a CZ, but have had a Glock and Sig, and I like the "feel" or grip "ergonomics" of the 6906 better than either. Of course that is just a personal preference.

I think of the entire line of 3rd Gen Smiths as sort of the "Model A's" of their types. I have found, without fail, the 3rd Gen Smith I have owned are absolutely RELIABLE. No if's, and's or but's, just dead reliable.

Reliability is always job ONE for any firearm I expect to use for self defense, and in that regard I've yet to find a pistol any more reliable.

I have found my 3rd Gen Smiths to be slightly less accurate for me than my Sig P239 was, or my Walther P99c/AS, or HK P2000sk. Then I got smart and compared the sizes of the white dot sights (the actual dots) on all 4 and "surprise" the white dots on the excellent Novak sights of the 3rd Gen Smiths were smaller than the white dots on the other three.

Duh?

So, I believe had the white dots on the sights been of equal size, I'm guessing the accuracy of the Smith would be right there in the mix.

For self defense accuracy at say, 7 yards or less, the difference in the size of the groups each pistol was capable of shooting was minimal.

What I also like in particular about the 6906 is that you can use the 15 rd. mags from the 5906 (using the S&W mag adapter) and you get greater capacity, losing nothing in the process. The mag adapter allowing for use of the larger capacity 5906 actually makes for a better "grip" than that of the fingertip mag of the standard 10rd'er.

I believe a person's preference in firearms is just like that of a person' preference in ice cream flavors. You just "like what you like", period.

I'm not saying the 3rd Gen Smith 6906 is the best 9MM pistol in the world, but I will say it's very, very good.

Just personal opinion,

No offense to those who might disagree. :)

Best Wishes,

Jesse

P.S. In the two photos below, the first is the 6906 using the standard 10rd fingertip mag. The 2nd shows the same 6906 using the 15rd mag of the 5906, (w/S&W mag adapter). If you examine them closely you'll see nothing is lost in using the larger capacity mag, and the extra 5 rounds are always a neat thing to have available in a weapon used for cc and self defense.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_9940.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_9936_01.jpg

jtb1967
November 15, 2011, 01:35 PM

Great gun, but "best 9mm handgun ever" is probably a load of crap. How does anyone determine the "best ever"?

Laserlips
November 15, 2011, 02:42 PM
jtb1967:

Hey, good year. My first new car was a 1967 Firebird 326HO. :D

As to the "experts" saying the S&W 5906 (or even 6906) being the best 9MM pistol ever made?

I'd respectfully have to disagree.

I've had an HK P7, which some "experts" consider as "the best" (or certainly "one of the best) 9MM pistols ever made..

I liked my 5906 & 6906 better than the excellent HK P7, but I'm sure HK P7 lovers would disagree.

With the continuing evolution of 9MM pistols I'd say anyone who "thinks" he/she has the "best" 9MM pistol ever made might want to reconsider, NO MATTER what particular pistol they might own.

I like to think there are many "very good" 9's, and I think I've owned a few of them at one time or another. (S&W 3913, 3913LS,5906,6906,CS9,Glock26,Sig P239, Star BM, P1, P5, P99 & P99c Walthers, P7 & P2000sk in H&K, and more recently, the Ruger LC9.)

Each of them had some attributes that I believe made them special, but I wouldn't say one or the other was "the best of the best"....

I'm on the list for a Boberg XR9S, which is "touted" as a very good 9MM pistol, so I don't know how good it might wind up being, but I doubt seriously it'll do much to top my Ruger LC9 at less than half the price..

It's all about personal preference anyway. I'd say whatever 9MM pistol YOU OWN that does the job for you, IS the best 9mm pistol ever made. (for you). :)

Always new choices hitting the market, never can tell when the "real" best 9MM pistol ever made will actually "be" made. :D

And even then, someone won't like it.

Just human nature.

Best Wishes,

P.S. The 5906 must be "pretty darn good" tho, it's my "bump in the night" nightstand choice..

Jesse

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_9862.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_1981.jpg

10mm4ever
November 15, 2011, 06:26 PM
I rate the 5906 right at the very top with the likes of the Beretta 92FS, w.german SIG 226 and CZ75. The discontinuation of the S&W 3rd gen line had nothing to do with performance or quality, I can assure you. The profit margins are WAY higher with plastic/stamped metal frame pistols and that's the only reason for the demise. Whether or not it's the 'best' is purely subjective, but it's in damn good company!

chuckles
November 15, 2011, 09:53 PM
I have a 5906 and its a great pistol, but I also own a Sig 226 in 9MM, a Beretta 92FS Inox, An H&K USP 9c and a S&W M&P9c, all of which rate a bit higher to me. That said I would never feel underarmed with a 5906. Really good handguns.

Fishbed77
November 15, 2011, 10:33 PM
My research on the S&W 5906 shows that it was widely used nationwide by most all Law Enforcement Departments. And for a long period.
That say's something...

It says that S&W was marketing the 5906 well and offering low prices to many LE agencies.

That said, it's a dang fine 9mm, but far from the best ever. Maybe in the top 10, though.