View Full Version : Louisiana: NFA firearm, Living Trust or LLC route?

August 26, 2011, 05:23 PM
What would be the best route to acquire NFA firearms/suppressors that could be used by the primary holder (a LA resident) and myself and my dad (living outside of LA)? Current I have a legal plan that would assist with either option so I would like some input in the pro/cons of each for the state of LA.

Primary items that would be purchased are SBR, AOW, and suppressors.

Thank you for any information in advance.

August 26, 2011, 10:40 PM
Well, if anyone wants to shoot them without the "primary holder" being present, I believe a trust would be about the only reasonable way to do it. A corporation would work but you have the additional burden of filing a corporate tax return every year and likely paying a tax on all assets in the corporation each year. At least we do in Texas.

Anyone in Louisiana have comments?

August 26, 2011, 11:04 PM
Anyone in Louisiana have comments?
No, but I'd like to know as well. I've been thinking of getting a suppressor. I live in what used to be the sticks, but the city is starting to expand out to my neck of the woods. I'm still outside the city limits, so I can shoot all I want in my backyard, but I don't want the "Starbuck's yuppies" at the new city park tennis courts they just built next to my property calling the PD if I decide to pop a yote. I wonder what they're gonna do on opening day of dove season, because I will be out there with my Wingmaster shooting some birds.:cool: Hope they don't mind getting some pellets rained on them occasionally. :D

August 27, 2011, 05:15 AM
Thanks I am going with the Trust it looks like :)

August 27, 2011, 08:24 AM
While I profess an extreme ignorance of the NFA laws, I admit that I'm intrigued. If I wanted to own such a firearm, I'd be tempted to talk with one of the dealers in this state who deal in such items and ask them for the name of a good attorney versed in the particulars of such a situation.

August 27, 2011, 05:17 PM
I would definitely recommend the good atorney route. Lots of guys use Willmaker or another boiler plate trust maker program and do it themselves, but the issues are I believe way too important to try to use a "one size fits all" generic computer program. After all, if done wrong, BATFE can rule the trust invalid and you could end up losing all your toys. Pay a couple hundred bucks and do it right. And have an attorney willing to back his work up in court if challenged.

I don't know of any Louisiana attorneys, but we have some excellent ones on the Texas Gun Talk forum. Drop in and look up their threads.