PDA

View Full Version : LFI-1 Report


TBeck
March 2, 2000, 12:31 PM
I had the opportunity to attend Massad Ayoob's Lethal Force Institute 1 "Judicious Use of Lethal Force" class last week in Miami. In a word, wow.

I came a pretty fair shot and left a little better. I learned the three basic stances; Weaver, Chapman, Isoceles. I learned the value of gripping the Glock a little harder. The shooting instruction was good but it wasn't why I took the class.

The class covered what lethal force is, when to use it, how to use it, and what to do after you have used it. We learned what to expect after the shooting stops and how to deal with it. It was worth every penny of the $700 and I plan to continue to LFI-2 when possible. I urge any citizen who carries a firearm for self-defense to take this class. It's a winner.

Jeff Thomas
March 3, 2000, 08:41 AM
I took an abbreviated version (no live fire) after the Gun Rights Policy Conference last year in St. Louis. I enjoyed it as well.

I think people are a bit hard on Ayoob - he does a lot of good, and I enjoy his passion and support of the RKBA.

I would recommend his instruction as well. He does an excellent job of getting people to consider reality and how to deal with it effectively.

CrociJA
March 3, 2000, 11:42 AM
Hey Travis,
I second what Travis has to say. After taking the course I learned not only to hold the Glock tighter, but where to put my left thumb, and how to put my trigger finger to good use. The information regarding the various shooting stances, rapid reloading drills, how to properly "grip" a magazine and even how to safely "dry-fire" my Glock were all hammered home.
But as Travis said, this was only 40% of the course, the other 60% dealt with the legal repercussions of a shooting and how to deal with all of the individuals involved.
Your roll as an armed citizen and the great burden you have placed upon yourself.
It's not a class for wanna-be rambo's, its a class for the citizen who are serious about defending themselves, their loved ones, friends and neighbors.
As someone who considers himself a novice with a handgun, and this being the first time I've ever attended a private shooting school, all I can say is that Masood Ayoob and his staff were some of the most talented speakers and trainers (local LEO's, legal advisors, lawyers and LF-III and IV grad's) I've ever had the pleasure to meet. I would seriouslly advise his class to ANYONE who carries concealed.
Travis, it's a done deal, I'll have the $$$ to go to LFI-II next year. :D

Jon

Virginian
March 9, 2000, 08:09 PM
I have attended quite a few training courses, and Mas' LFI 1 should be considered the benchmark in the moral, ethical and legal use of deadly force. His credentials as a witness (expert, rebuttal etc.) are unparalled in the industry. He also is not parochial (a welcome change from most instructors and programs) and is a lifetime student as well as teacher. I could sing the praises of LFI 1 for the next week, but anyone who carries, owns or uses a firearms for self-defense should consider this course as a priority in their training. It is, quite simply, the cornerstone of training in the use of deadly force training, in my humble opinion.

Virginian

ATM
March 18, 2000, 09:16 PM
Heck Yes. In my parttime work at a store/range I get alot of questions on training, what is required, and what should one take. I always tell people two things: Read 'In the Gravest Extreme', and if they can take LFI I. Shooting is probably the smallest part of the survival equation for a legally armed civilian. The biggest part is surviving the sharks after the shooting. Here is where Ayoob shines, in preparing you for the problems of being a survivor, not the prey.
Remember he is a leader in the field of training civilians, only now are others getting on the bandwagon of legal and psychological preparation. As a leader one gets shot at by the competition. Is he perfect? No. Has he made mistakes before? Sure. Will he blow it again sometime? Sure. But guess what? The steps on the ladder of success are failure. Mas Ayoob has kept working on keeping civilians out of jail when they do not deserve it, and for that alone he gets my thanks.

By the way, for all the LFI grads, where are your LFI I notes right now? :D :D :D

------------------
Freedom is not Free

TBeck
March 19, 2000, 11:45 AM
I'm still getting mine typed up but don't worry, I'll mail them soon enough!

In the latest edition of THE AYOOB FILES he describes a case where one of his graduates was forced to defend herself. Perfect execution of technique. Even down to the commands. I just wonder if she gave the perp the Leibowitz decision? :)