PDA

View Full Version : Ads linked to random words?

jgcoastie
August 10, 2011, 04:30 PM
What's up with the ads?

Is this the new TFL cash cow? Don't get me wrong, I'm all about people making money in whatever way they legally and ethically can. I'm just curious about the new ads that keep popping up when I scroll my mouse icon over certain words....

Mal H
August 10, 2011, 06:48 PM
Nope, it's not us. 10 to 1 you have a virus or visited a site that installed a keyword ad application. You need to run a good virus/spyware check on your entire system.

jgcoastie
August 10, 2011, 08:08 PM
Okey dokey! Thanks Mal!

EDIT: Ahhh, that's better. Fixed now.

Mike Irwin
August 10, 2011, 09:57 PM
Damn it, Mal!

I was making a lot of money from him!

Mal H
August 10, 2011, 10:42 PM
Mike! If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times - stop ripping off the members!

Ok, seriously, jgcoastie, what did you run to clean it up? It would be good info to have on hand because this happens several times a year to someone here.

Mike Irwin
August 11, 2011, 06:31 AM
"stop ripping off the members!"

Hey, if they're not there to be used and abused... Why are they there? :D

That's the first I've ever heard of someone here getting hit with one of these things. God they're annoying, too. Most are fairly easy to eradicate, but there are a couple that will really burrow down into the computer.

ClayInTx
August 11, 2011, 07:51 AM
I would like to know what cleans it out. I run into this on a lot of websites. Some ad comes up and blocks out what I’m trying to see.

The only time I get that to happen here is when I scroll across the words Mike Irwin and it gives me a phone number to call about a used 1995 Cadillac Seville with a good tire.

Mike Irwin
August 11, 2011, 08:01 AM
Oh, sorry about that.

The car's still available, but the tire isn't so good anymore... :p

jgcoastie
August 18, 2011, 04:02 PM
Sorry, I didn't check back in after I posted it was gone...

I ran my McAfee internet security, anti-virus, and anti-spyware software scan. Then I did a manual update of my Windows Defender (auto-update doesn't always work, not sure why) and had it run a full scan as well. Both McAfee and Defender picked up a couple hits. After a computer re-start and a couple more updates to McAfee, Defender, and Firefox (the web browser I use), the links went away...