PDA

View Full Version : I just screwed up my colt 1911

gunnut310
July 10, 2011, 11:05 PM
I over ramped my colt 1911, who is a good gun smith that can build it back up, and how much money am I looking at:eek: 71917

Bill DeShivs
July 11, 2011, 12:51 AM
You screwed up the picture, too.
Take a better one.

10-96
July 11, 2011, 01:27 AM
Man I love, and anxiously await each and every post from Bill- the man oozes genius!:D

Seriously Bill, you have my upmost respect- I've gained vast amounts of knowledge from you over the years.

Geezerbiker
July 11, 2011, 01:56 AM
You could send it to Barstow and have a custom ramped barrel put it.

Tony

Bill DeShivs
July 11, 2011, 02:01 AM
The picture of the ramp is very bad. It's hard to give advice when you don't know what you're looking at!

Powderman
July 11, 2011, 03:19 AM
From what I can see, it appears that you have overthroated the barrel. That can be fixed by a new barrel.

It also appears that you have been grinding away on the frame, as well. That is a major problem.

For some reason, one of the first things attacked on the 1911 frame are those mysterious "bumps" on the side. Those are guides for the cartridge, and they are there for a reason. If you remove those, the gun might not even feed hardball.

The only fix I can see for this is to take the whole pistol to a REPUTABLE gunsmith, and have them install a fully ramped barrel. The other fix is to get another frame--but be advised, you are NOT going to get a Colt receiver unless you buy a whole pistol.

AirForceShooter
July 11, 2011, 07:30 AM
Get a new barrel.

AFS

grumpa72
July 11, 2011, 07:33 AM
Duct tape? Oh, and put away the dremel? ;)

Sorry, just having a bit of fun on a lazy (me being lazy) day.

JimPage
July 11, 2011, 07:51 AM
Looks to me like the Dremel needs to be thrown away rather than put away, and pretty quickly too. On guns, a Dremel should be limited to polishing only!

Just my two cents.:D

Hunter Customs
July 11, 2011, 07:51 AM
I have to agree with Bill on the picture, I could not tell much from it.

That being said if the ramp in the frame is over cut there's two ways to repair it without buyng a new frame.

It's already been suggested to have a ramp barrel fit to the gun, that's one way to fix the problem of an over cut ramp.

The other way is to mill out the old ramp and install a new steel ramp insert in it's place.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Hunter Customs
July 11, 2011, 07:59 AM
Ah the good old Dremel, I've always said it has the distinction of being the number one tool for getting gunsmiths work.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

velocette
July 11, 2011, 08:14 AM
Geezerbiker has it right. Send the pistol to Bar-Sto for them to fit their ramped barrel. You'll wind up with the best 1911 barrel on the market and correct your mistake.
But FIRST throw out that Dremel. Never allow a Dremel tool within 50 yards of a any firearm.

Roger

Eghad
July 11, 2011, 08:56 AM
I live in SE Texas and there are a couple of decent gunsmiths in the area. Why would you even try to do something like that yourself?

Don P
July 11, 2011, 08:58 AM
Ya gotta love the good old kitchen table gunsmiths and the following quote states it all.

Ah the good old Dremel, I've always said it has the distinction of being the number one tool for getting gunsmiths work.

If the above statement and this thread doesn't open up the eyes of the kitchen gunsmiths nothing will. From the OP's statement and the replies from our professional gunsmiths this is going to be a PRICEY FIX:eek:

Why would you even try to do something like that yourself?
Because he owns a Dremil and knows how to use it:eek:

Dino.
July 11, 2011, 11:06 AM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/DinoBonanno/Temptation.jpg

g.willikers
July 11, 2011, 12:10 PM
Before doing anything, try it out, first.
It could surprise you.
With some luck, it might work, in spite of these mistakes.
Sometimes a couple of mistakes can cancel one another.
It's worth a try, at least.
What's to lose.

HiBC
July 11, 2011, 12:35 PM
I would not be so harsh on the idea of home gunsmithing,but I do agree the Dremel is best kept away with few exceptions.
A reasonable approach;Do not change the geometry of the part unless there is a clear reason to modify it.Hand polishing stones,like are used in the mold business,can improve a surface finish,break sharp edges,etc.A piece of hardwood with lapping compound can work,too.
A 1911 is not a good platform for a rookie to work in a seat of the pants fashion.The functional relationships of the parts really have to be understood.
If you want to learn,Kuhnhausen manuals,and the Wilson Combat DVD set are good guidance.
Having a ramped bbl fit seems like a good remedy.

triggerman770
July 11, 2011, 01:39 PM
quote"Ah the good old Dremel, I've always said it has the distinction of being the number one tool for getting gunsmiths work.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com "

I think if the truth be known the genreal public may be surprised:eek: as to how many gunsmith's have stealthy investents in the Dremel Company.
:)

Wildalaska
July 11, 2011, 01:56 PM
This is my line

"Why does it cost $....i'ts called insurance. We do it and screw it up, you get it fixed by us for free. You do it and you screw it up, you pay to have it fixed"

WildeasyAlaska ™©2002-2011

Edward429451
July 11, 2011, 08:56 PM
Frame on the right, barrel on the left...the gap...I think he's showing us the barrel in place and there's not supposed to be a gap.:eek:

say, that is quite the over-ramp...I don't think a new barrel will be enough.

James K
July 11, 2011, 08:57 PM
The Dremel is a tool, just like any other tool. Don't blame the tool for what happens when folks don't know how to use it (and when NOT to use it).

Jim

gunnut310
July 11, 2011, 09:23 PM
I did not need help understanding how stupid I was. I got that all by my self. Clark customs said $700+ new ramped barrel bushing and an action job,8-10 month.Or Triangle shooting sports came highly recommended $400 ramped kart bushing link tuning and fitting 4-6 week turnaround. Mr.Hill said he would take one of my other guns guns for payment.

gunnut310
July 11, 2011, 09:32 PM
It might have been a long day hot sun and cold bxxr. maybe I end up with a better gun. I know I will have more money in it.

Don P
July 12, 2011, 10:21 AM
Yes and unfortunately an expensive lesson learned. As they say when in doubt leave it alone or to the pro's.

chadstrickland
July 12, 2011, 10:46 AM
Hahaha dino man I love that pic

gunnut310
July 12, 2011, 10:13 PM
I talked to Mr. Hill again. He told me. He said he can rework the breach of the barrel. 75.00 to 100.00 $. I don't know witch way to go.

jpsshack
July 13, 2011, 08:47 PM
Don't "try it out" if it's potentially unsafe. an over-ramped barrel could cost you your hand or your life.

SurplusShooter
July 13, 2011, 08:51 PM
Most gunsmiths should be able to rebuild the ramp or know someone that will.

orionengnr
July 13, 2011, 09:32 PM
Go back and re-read what Mr. Hunter said in post #10.
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=146569&highlight=ramp+insert
I had this process done to an alloy-framed 1911 that a previous owner had sanded or Dremel'ed to death. This is a precision machining job that restores the frame ramp to its original dimesnsions with a piece of stainless steel permanently fitted to the frame.

If the barrel has been mega-buggered, you may have to replace it as well.

dahermit
July 14, 2011, 07:19 AM
The "Dremel Philosophy", "My 1911 has always feed and functioned perfectly. But, I have just noticed that the feed-ramp is a little rough...hey! I can "fix" that, I have a Dremel!"
"If you just cannot leave well enough alone, the Dremel is the perfect tool for you." Dremel Company Slogan.

jpsshack
July 14, 2011, 07:24 AM
Check out Jerry Kuhnhausen's book on the 1911. Never says anything about touching the frame ramp.

dahermit
July 14, 2011, 07:42 AM
Check out Jerry Kuhnhausen's book on the 1911. Never says anything about touching the frame ramp. But, hey...I have a Dremel and I can see the roughness. I think that I will "smooth up" the barrel too while I am at it. Even though there is no feeding problem. What can go wrong...I have Jerry Kuhnhausen's book.

jpsshack
July 26, 2011, 10:22 PM
Yeah, you're right, dahermit–he mentions the frame ramp very briefly, one scant paragraph...basically says polish it, nothing else. I heard the same thing from another well-known smith. This thread interested me because I may throat a barrel to feed wadcutters, and I don't want to bugger it. You're also right in that no book is a substitute for common sense.

Powderman
July 27, 2011, 02:03 PM
Before you do any ramping or other alteration, know this...

1. The 1911 platform--specifically, the .45 ACP--has been provided for some time with barrels that have already been throated for reliable feeding.

2. There are two "bumps" on the frame, each side of the feed ramp. These are called bullet guides, and they are there by design. Do NOT reduce or alter these in ANY way.

3. To check your 1911 for feeding reliably, do the following steps first: a. Obtain good magazines that have the feed lips configured for wadcutter ammunition. b. More than likely, you will be reloading unless you have a ton of money to spend on match wadcutter ammunition. If you are reloading, the secret is to load the round to the same OAL as a round of ball ammunition. The pistol is manufactured and timed to work with that bullet length. c. Make sure your round is taper crimped properly. I use a taper crimp of .470, measured at the case mouth.

In closing, check that your ammunition is within the same specs as a round of ball ammunition before modifying your pistol.

RsqVet
August 4, 2011, 12:44 AM
Hey I once got a strut out of a toyota pickup only to discover that the tools to install the new ones were not at my disposal.

Drove said truck to the dealer with a 2x4 installed where a strut should be.

My hat is off to anyone who tries, way more than folks who act like fixing guns or anything is some magic process mere mortals can not consider.

Expensive lesson though....

Jolly Rogers
August 5, 2011, 07:09 PM
Heh, I wrench in a dealership.
We would have had a great time with that!:D
It would be like Cheers...where every body knows your name...
Joe

Powderman
August 5, 2011, 07:48 PM
I remember the first time I built my own 1911. Over the years--part of that time working as a gunsmith--I learned the following things:

1. Drop in parts don't.
2. Measure three or four times. Then measure again.
3. Stones cut faster than you think.
4. The same stones do not survive being dropped too well.
5. There is a Box O' Truth. It tests bullet performance. There is also a Box O' Gun. It tests your wallet and/or credit card's performance.
6. Dremel and Foredom tools are magic. You can go from "Here I go...." to "Oh crap, I've ruined the gun" in 10 seconds or less.
7. Books have been published and videos made on the subject for a reason.

And the important lesson is:

8. ALWAYS cut on or adjust the cheapest part FIRST.