View Full Version : Russian SKS 1954r Questions?

March 29, 2000, 10:57 AM
I just acquired a Russian SKS marked 1954r, fixed 10 round mag, made by Simonov.

Is there a detachable magazine conversion available for this rifle? Any Idea of it's worth? It is in unissued condition, complete with cleaning kit, and spare parts, and all numbers are matching.

James K
March 29, 2000, 11:01 PM
Hi, Critter,

Can someone check me on this, but I think it depends on when the gun was imported whether such a conversion is legal. The SKS is not an "assault rifle" as originally manufactured, but it may become one when a detachable magazine is put on.

FWIW, I do know some folks who converted SKS's to detachable AK mags, and some of those conversions did not work very well.

March 30, 2000, 03:53 AM
I think you can but you must take off the bayonet. I'm not 100% sure on that either.
My son wanted me to do that to mine,So instead of messing with my 100% Russian I bought a Romainian to sporterize. After trying to figure out what was and wasn't legal I gave up and Iam leaving both as is.
The Russian is a keeper and the Roamanian is the shooter and it does it very well
Hope this helped...kinda
Happy shooting

We preserve our freedoms by using four boxes: soap,ballot,jury, and cartridge.