PDA

View Full Version : New Gun Log app for the iPhone

sirgilligan
June 24, 2011, 08:54 AM
I received an "OK" from the moderators to post about my new iPhone app called Gun Log.

It is a general purpose app that could be used to store information about your BB guns, Pistols, Revolvers, Rifles, and even Shot Guns. The range information is not really geared towards shotguns.

There are four areas (four tabs at the bottom of the app) the Weapons, Ammo, Sessions, and Reports areas.

I wrote this app for me back in April and decided to put it on the App store. I use all the areas of the app but you can use the areas independently if you want.

Maybe you trade guns a lot. In the Weapons section you can keep specific information include purchase information and notes. You could have handy what you paid for it, from whom you bought it, etc.

Being a programmer I am a bit cautious when it comes to data theft. The app doesn't use the GPS or location manager. If you don't lock your iPhone or iPod Touch then I don't recommend entering the weapon's serial number. If you are concerned (and that is your business) then don't enter the Make of the weapon, just give the Weapon a nick name that means something to you and use that.

The ammo area allows you to keep track of "off the shelf" ammo or hand loads. Maybe you just want to keep some details of your hand loads so that when you are at the range or in the field you can look at your box of ammo and see the lot number you have placed on it and look up the ammo and see what powder, primer, etc., that was used and when you made the ammo. If you have used the ammo you can see how it performed as well.

I hate typing on these little devices, so I went to a bit of effort and gathered information on weapons manufacturers, ammunition makers, reloading supplies, etc., and put them in what are known as "pickers" so you don't have to type that stuff in. I typed it once so I (and you) won't have to type it again.

The firing session area allows you to create a session, like a day at the range. Then in that session you can create multiple firing sets. So, today at the range I shot my Browning Hi-Power, my PPK/S, and my Ruger Mk II. In the firing set you associate a weapon, a weapon configuration (weapons can have multiple setups), and an ammo to firing data such as group size, point of impact, and other info.

In the reports area you can browse so that you can understand how things are performing. For instance, which weapons have had failures? It would be a pain to go through all of the firing sets and look for them. In the reports area you can easily and quickly find failures. You can see firing sets for a weapon sorted by group size so you can see which set gave you the tightest grouping and you can navigate directly to the firing set and review.

I have made tutorials that show in great detail what the app does and a video showing the flow. I don't want anyone to just take a risk and buy an app. You should have a fair idea of what you are buying before you buy it.

Here are the links that show the app. There is even a users group for discussion on future features or issues. The blog shows how to use all of the features of the app. I want you to know how the app works.

http://gunlogapp.blogspot.com/
http://groups.google.com/group/gun-log?hl=en
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gun-log/id443611628?mt=8&ls=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg6A11fC22A

If you do decide to purchase the app, please rate it on the app store.

Since I am a gun guy I hope to use the proceeds towards the purchase of an FN SCAR, or if it doesn't make much my NRA dues, and if nothing else a Double Filet O' Fish with extra tartar sauce. :-)

Thank you.

SirGilligan

mes227
June 24, 2011, 03:43 PM
I just down-loaded it. Will let you know what I think. Glad to see move gun and range apps being developed!

rdmallory
June 24, 2011, 07:29 PM
Android version?

Silver Bullet
June 25, 2011, 01:26 AM
Isn't Android for Electric Sheep ? (Not everyone will get this amazingly clever little sci-fi reference). :)

sirgilligan
June 25, 2011, 03:25 PM
Thank you for your interest in the Gun Log app.

Please let me know what you think. There is a blog and a users group, that way this forum doesn't end up being a support forum. I will watch the forum for comments and respond.

An Android version? The only thing stopping me from doing an Android version is deciding it would be worth it. I regularly program in Java, C#, C++, Objective C, so nothing stopping an android version other than is it worth it to me. The iPhone version was for myself, sense I have iOS devices. The Android version would have to seem promising and be a strictly for profit venture.

All of you Android users, email me, PM, or something, and I will tally it all up and see if it is worth it. I have several iPad apps in mind, but if my queue empties up the geek in me loves to code to new devices so I might get to it next year about this time. Two of my "gun buddies" are also programmers, I will see if they want to do an Android version, if so I will give them the schema to the database to help them get rolling.

So long answer converted to short answer, no Android app anytime soon.

Silver Bullet
June 26, 2011, 02:11 PM
So long answer converted to short answer

answer = (short) long_answer;

:)

I corrected my list to move the Gun Spot app from Record Keeping to Range and Shop Locators.

I also added another record keeping app.

BIG_KUMAR
June 28, 2011, 01:34 PM
Awesome app, it really helps me keep track of everything. You really can't beat it, especially for the price.

I don't know how hard it would be to add, but maybe some way to add pictures of weapons or quantity of ammo on hand could be useful.

sirgilligan
June 28, 2011, 09:28 PM
Thanks for using Gun Log.

I just submitted an update to the App Store.

The update includes a new report for rounds fired. Also it contains new fields in weapon configuration and ammo. In weapon config you can specify sight height, twist rate, and the distance at which the rifle was zeroed. In ammo you can specify muzzle velocity and ballistic coefficient.

Also it fixes the problem where hand load info for bullet maker doesn't save, and makes the data pickers, keyboards, and keypads behave better when you don't dismiss them.

It can take a while for an app to be reviewed, but it should be there in about 10 days or so.

sirgilligan
June 30, 2011, 08:38 AM
I just verified that version 2.2 is available and the update works and I did not lose any data during the process.

http://gunlogapp.blogspot.com/2011/06/gun-log-22-is-now-available.html

BarryLee
June 30, 2011, 12:59 PM
Well, I am generally not a member of the “tin foil hat” club, but since Apple has been caught tracking peoples movements utilizing this device could they access your gun information. Again, just an observation well let me go I have to re-stock my bomb shelter. ;)

sirgilligan
June 30, 2011, 04:10 PM
Is it possible that data could be taken from an iPhone? Sure.

http://gunlogapp.blogspot.com/2011/06/if-you-are-concerned-about-data.html

Don't enter data that you are concerned about. That meets everyone's personal level of security.

Silver Bullet
July 1, 2011, 12:03 AM
but since Apple has been caught tracking peoples movements utilizing this device could they access your gun information.

That’s not true. Apple is not tracking you, but the iPhone was building a database of wifi hotspots around your current location to make it easier to provide apps your current location more quickly than can be ascertained with GPS. I’ve got about 20 apps that use that information to provide me information based on my current application:

Camera stamps location information on photos. Traffic programs start with my current location, UrbanSpoon identifies nearby restaurants. Wells Fargo can tell me where the nearby ATMs are.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/apple_finally_responds_to_iphone_location_tracking.php

What you’re suggesting is that more specific information with your personal locations was being uploaded to Apple with your name attached. I don’t think that’s true.

I suppose the potential is there, but that is true of any cell phone with GPS.

I think you’re right about your needing a tinfoil app, though.

Carry_24/7
July 1, 2011, 03:47 AM
Awesome app!

sirgilligan
July 1, 2011, 09:47 AM
Please go to iTunes and rate the app. It needs enough reviews to show an average. I am not saying how to rate it, be honest on how you feel.

I am not going to be online as much for a few weeks. Got some serious things to do. Go shooting, go fishing, take a nap or too... ;-) Really at work (the real day job that pays the bills) there is a major software release coming out and I am under a lot of pressure and the stress is building.

sirgilligan@yahoo.com

Or post on the blog

or on the users group
http://groups.google.com/group/gun-log?hl=en&pli=1

Thanks again. I hope version 2.3 will make you all glad you got in early!

sirgilligan
August 14, 2011, 04:27 PM
If you have bought the app, I ask a favor...

Someone did a "one star" review of the app by mistake. It is a mistake because the features mentioned are not features of Gun Log. If you click the reviewer's name link to see the other reviews you will see where he had reviewed a different range log application which does advertise the features that are complained that do not work. An honest mistake. But "one star" sure wipes out the Gun Log. Bad luck for me.

So, if you haven't reviewed the app, please do so. If you give it one star that is fine, just make sure you are giving one star to the right app! :-)

EDIT:

Just checked again, Apple pulled the one star rating! Whew. If I get one star I want to earn it for myself, not because of a mistake.

NRA-LIFE-MEMBER
August 14, 2011, 05:44 PM
Android version would be nice!

sirgilligan
August 15, 2011, 08:59 AM
Keep posting what you want. I keep a tally of Android requests, iPad requests, feature requests, etc.

You can post things to the blog where the tutorials and screen shots are posted:

Or the users group:

Thanks.

Newton24b
August 15, 2011, 09:10 PM
How many of the people who use these gun log applications are the same people who spend countless hours blacking out the serial numbers of their guns when they post a picture of them on the internet?

Its stupid, ludricrious moronic to put a list of your weapons onto a device thats very popular for theives to take. when the phones get taken the theives go through it looking for your "convenient' banking applications to get your banking/credit card data so they can go buy the yacht theyve always wanted.
and anything labelled "gun log" would always be stolen. and when they realize you got a musueam of all weapons ww2, they will come do a stop and rob on your house, and then if you put in the names of the people you got anything from, or sold to, those people would be next.

its like giving a pedophile a lsit of all the young children in your neighborhoods with names and photos and addresses and when theyll be home alone.

sirgilligan
September 2, 2011, 03:33 PM
How many of the people who use these gun log applications are the same people who spend countless hours blacking out the serial numbers of their guns when they post a picture of them on the internet?

Its stupid, ludricrious moronic to put a list of your weapons onto a device thats very popular for theives to take. when the phones get taken the theives go through it looking for your "convenient' banking applications to get your banking/credit card data so they can go buy the yacht theyve always wanted.
and anything labelled "gun log" would always be stolen. and when they realize you got a musueam of all weapons ww2, they will come do a stop and rob on your house, and then if you put in the names of the people you got anything from, or sold to, those people would be next.

its like giving a pedophile a lsit of all the young children in your neighborhoods with names and photos and addresses and when theyll be home alone.

They might just do what you describe. Other factors, such as where you live, might mitigate the problem. Another possible outcome is that after they look at all the data on your phone they decide not to come to your house because they might just get greeted by the muzzle of gun. Who's to say what someone else might do. But I do understand the concern.

My father-in-law had his gun and coin collection stolen. Guess who did it! Youngest daughter's boy friend. (I did not marry the youngest daughter! It wasn't me.)

sirgilligan
September 2, 2011, 03:34 PM
Just released Gun Log version 2.5

The Gun Log Blog specifies the release details. (http://gunlogapp.blogspot.com/2011/09/gun-log-version-25-is-available.html)

What's New in Version 2.5

Bullet Drop Estimator. In a Firing Set or from a Report the bullet drop can be estimated. In a weapon's configuration specify the sight height in inches above the bore axis and the zero range in yards. In the ammo's details specify the ballistic coefficient (typically a number between .2 and 1.0) and the muzzle velocity. With that data a "drop table" can be calculated that estimates the bullet's vertical position and time of flight. The calculations are based on the G1 ballistic coefficient with the standard assumptions of sea level and other variables.

Wag
September 2, 2011, 04:30 PM
I was just going to ask you if it had long range ballistics calculations.

Very nice!

Now I just need an iPhone so I don't have to steal the wiff's! :D

--Wag--

sirgilligan
September 2, 2011, 10:47 PM
I updated the blog with some photos so you can see what the app actually does.

If the bullet drops some huge amount the calculation will stop. If not, it calculates out to 1000 yards.

It isn't fancy, but it is useful.

Wag
September 3, 2011, 12:53 PM
Very good to know. I don't have a smart phone yet but this could sway me from Android to iPhone.

Unless you'd consider porting it to an Android platform that is! :D

--Wag--

sirgilligan
September 4, 2011, 10:49 AM
I run the app on an iPod touch. I had been putting off the iPhone until it was on Verizon and now that it is I am waiting to see the new iPhone 5's.

TheWombat
September 13, 2011, 06:16 AM
Have just started using this application and thank you so much for your effort. A few suggestions that would make it more useful for me:

General:
Could we have an iPad version :-)

AMMO TAB:
+After Make, Caliber, Type fields add a free form field for things like +P and also a field for the SKU/Manufacturer code. e.g. I want to be able to type: "Winchester" "Ranger" "124gr +P" "NATO" "RA9124N" as separate fields. I'm using the notes field in the interim but it is not so useful
+Include a "count" of the number of rounds e.g. bought, fired, remaining and have this connect in with the "Sessions" - that way I know what my inventory is (and at some point in time you could add a reminder to re-order when remaining < x)
+Vendor & Date bought fields - so I can add from which vendor I bought and when

thanks

TheWombat

Tangent123123
September 14, 2011, 10:38 AM
Any chance you can port this to the IPAD as well? Running the tiny screens of the ipod apps is hard on my old eyes. ;)

bikerbill
September 14, 2011, 03:12 PM
I'll take a 'droid version ...

Chris_B
September 14, 2011, 05:15 PM
Isn't Android for Electric Sheep ? (Not everyone will get this amazingly clever little sci-fi reference).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/Chuck_Older/tumblr_ldvvy3QLJP1qe0eclo1_r7_500.gif

Silver Bullet
September 15, 2011, 10:04 AM
"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain... "

sirgilligan
September 17, 2011, 04:16 PM
Been out hunting for a week and just checked the thread.

I will work on the suggestions. Thank you for the feed back.

Make sure you all have updated your version of the app. Review it as well.

iPad requests still out number Android requests, so iPad has higher priority.

sirgilligan
September 26, 2011, 07:01 PM
Any chance you can port this to the IPAD as well? Running the tiny screens of the ipod apps is hard on my old eyes.

You wish is my command.

Okay, I finally got the iPad app finished. It is a Universal App, which means it is the same app on the iPod Touch, iPhone, and iPad. The "views" are updated to take the space available on the iPad. Orientation changes are now detected as well, but honestly on the iPhone portrait is the best, in my opinion.

For security reasons Gun Log doesn't export your data in anyway. Because of this you cannot share data between an iPhone and iPad version. It is a trade off.

Enjoy this update my friends.

lsbbigdog
September 27, 2011, 07:12 AM
Very cool App!!

sirgilligan
October 1, 2011, 10:14 AM
There was a concern about the target view where you view photos you take of your firing session's target.

I went through it and re-wrote it. It was too busy. A scrolling view inside of another, so that the controls could be pushed out of the way. Well now the controls set on top of the picture and just tap and hold and the fade away. They are also transparent which helps a lot as well.

Requests for additional calibers and manufacturers have been fulfilled as well. Especially for the .45-70.

After the next release, which is well under way, I am thinking of slowing down development and going out and doing other things with my evenings.

For $0.99 I think the Gun Log has a boat load of features.

Thanks for all of you early adopters. You helped fund my FN SCAR purchase and I think of the support every time I shoot that fine weapon.

I am considering changing the price of the app after the next major feature release. I am 99% sure that a price change will not affect those that have already purchased, if it does, I will lower the price back down and let it alone. I will not punish those that have done me a good turn.

If a "major" sponsor want to dress up a version I am willing to work out an arrangement and maybe we could get the app to be free or something, or maybe they could fund some features or such.

Don't forget the blog and the users group.

You can always email me:
sirgilligan@yahoo.com

sirgilligan
October 10, 2011, 11:07 PM
Version 3.2
http://gunlogapp.blogspot.com/2011/10/gun-log-32.html

MLeake
October 10, 2011, 11:22 PM
Chris B, Androids and Electric Sheep? Maybe in their dreams...

Meanwhile, the app seems to have potential. Are there possible security issues? Yes, but that's true of any cell phone, iPhone, iPad, online computer, etc...

Qtiphky
October 11, 2011, 11:55 AM
Will droid run on Blackberry? If so, then that is what I would like please.

It sounds good.

RbtMartin
October 14, 2011, 12:31 AM
GunLog seems to have similar features to MiGuns App for the iPhone and iPad. I saw that MiGuns just lowered its price.

sirgilligan
October 14, 2011, 07:35 AM
Isn't competition great!

I just read MiGun's support page. Very nice app.

Fields Include: Company, Gun Model, Gun Type, Caliber, Finish, Barrel Size, Purchase Date, Amount and a generous note space area.

• Customize all the fields including the drop-down menus to fit your needs.

• Use the Note Field to keep track of when and to whom you sold a weapon.

• Search any word on any field in your gun collection

Gun Log also has make, model, type, caliber, purchase date, purchase amount, notes.

It seems the driving usage or function for the apps are different. MiGun's usage seems to be based around tracking critical and important information that can be used for reporting stolen weapons or recalling what you paid for a gun, and related uses.

Gun Log was developed around the idea of "shooting". Because both apps store gun descriptions there is some overlap in functionality.

http://gunlogapp.blogspot.com/2011/10/gun-log-32.html

Not only can you take store a picture of your gun, you can store a picture of each configuration of your gun. Also you can store a picture of your targets.

There are fields for group size, point of aim, point of impact, firing stance, and other related firing information.

There is a bullet drop estimator that gives you an idea of how to sight in your weapon and the path of the bullet.

There are reports for weapons, firing sessions, and ammunition.

So, two nicely priced apps, originating around a different usage model, and surely destined to become more and more alike.

Some screen shots of the Weapon Information stored...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-brm2Eua5lxM/TpIcc1S4VCI/AAAAAAAAAa8/BtNuRffH5JM/s320/weapons2.png

-----
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-iENb2F0YXb0/TpIcdaoh25I/AAAAAAAAAbA/3_weftk-jmo/s320/weapons3.png

-----
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-G-XsGtkuuiU/TpIcd5fmTAI/AAAAAAAAAbE/Ide3-FoLV3o/s320/weapons4.png
----

But Gun Log is about shooting, recording your results and weapon/ammo failures, maintenance logs, and the relationships of how certain configurations, ammo (including hand loads), all work together.

The goal of Gun Log is to go shooting! These are the results:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vNfPi19pIVg/TpIhhceMrSI/AAAAAAAAAb0/clnfsm1YHmk/s320/firingsetphoto2.png

Buy the app the fits your needs. At the price the apps cost, get them both!

Skans
October 14, 2011, 08:12 AM
Not me. I guess I'm paranoid. But, a paper log works perfectly fine for me - and I don't have to worry about "hackers", "trackers", or gun-haters from California gathering my gun information on devices they create.

Silver Bullet
October 14, 2011, 09:32 AM
At the price the apps cost, get them both!

No kidding; the cheap price of apps is a blessing. Compare to desktop apps costing typically $30 or more. Apple's App Store has eliminated layers of middlemen (distributors) making it possible to sell these programs so cheaply. :cool:

When there are half a dozen apps that serve a purpose I need very much, I won't hesitate to buy several and then compare them. I'm only out maybe $10 for the entire lot! What else can I buy that's that cheap ? A single router bit can cost $50 or more.

When I read user reviews of apps, I'll sometimes come across a review from some ingrate who is downgrading the app (as in, 1 star) because it sells for $0.99 instead of for free. :rolleyes: Astonishing.

sirgilligan
October 31, 2011, 10:41 AM
Gun Log 3.5 is ready.

Check out the description:
http://gunlogapp.blogspot.com/2011/10/gun-log-35.html

sirgilligan
November 30, 2011, 05:39 PM
Gun Log 3.6 is out, and 3.7 is in the queue.

Check out the latest edition of the "NRA American Warrior", issue number 5!

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/79a918a6#/79a918a6/28

sirgilligan
February 10, 2012, 09:53 PM
Gun Log +P has been approved by Apple.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/gun-log-+p/id498559261?ls=1&mt=8

Follow the tutorials to learn how to use Gun Log +P
http://gunlogplusp.blogspot.com/

The current price is an introductory price and will change soon.

Chilli9880
February 15, 2012, 12:27 PM
Another Droid request here

theyallhurt
February 15, 2012, 07:58 PM
I really like this app...a lot...and kudos to TFL for helping spread the word! Now if you or someone could develop a shot-timer / course-time analysis app??? :D

Cycrops
February 26, 2012, 11:19 AM
Just purchased Gun Log +P for my iPhone. Looking forward to trying it out and giving you feedback. How are you coming along with your sales goal for your new toy purchase?

sirgilligan
April 8, 2012, 01:16 PM
There have been a few releases of Gun Log and Gun Log +P since the last post.
Passcode added, all kinds of things.

I finally decided that a comparison needed to be done on some apps, so I made a comparison/review blog.

http://gunappreviews.blogspot.com/

The apps sell consistently and are often in the top 10 of what's hot in the Sports category on iPad.

How are you coming along with your sales goal for your new toy purchase?

As for the funds going to my next toy, as I posted earlier to the forum, I got my Browning 1911 A1 22 that I had been saving for and looking for.

Thank you all that helped make it so.

sirgilligan
June 9, 2012, 11:56 AM
Latest review:

Shooter (Ballistics Calculator)
http://gunappreviews.blogspot.com/2012/06/shooter-ballistics-calculator-ios-app.html

Previous Reviews:

Range Buddy
http://gunappreviews.blogspot.com/2012/04/range-buddy-ios-app-review.html

Gun Tool Box
http://gunappreviews.blogspot.com/2012/04/gun-toolbox-ios-app-review.html

MiGuns
http://gunappreviews.blogspot.com/2012/03/miguns-ios-app-review.html

Gun App Review mission statement:
http://gunappreviews.blogspot.com/2012/03/reviews-of-iphone-or-ios-apps-related.html

sirgilligan
July 4, 2012, 01:03 PM
Gun Log 5.1 was just released. All of you Gun Log users should upgrade! The upgrade is free as usual. No ads, no in-app purchase for new features, you get it all. Enjoy the app.

Gun Log +P will be updated with the new functionality later this summer.

Olympus
July 5, 2012, 08:46 AM
I just got the app a few days ago mainly as a way to catalog my inventory and track serial numbers. One thing I noticed when adding my guns is a lot of redundancy in the options. Things like the option of selecting "S&W" and also "Smith and Wesson" as a make. Same thing with the options of "9mm", "9x19mm", and "9mm Parabellum". Too many redundant choices available.

sirgilligan
July 5, 2012, 10:00 AM
If you have Gun Log, the new release allows you to enter your own values for the pickers.

The pickers do not have to be used, the fields can be typed into directly. I was just trying to save you all some aggravation trying to type on an iPhone or iPod Touch. It is much easier to type on the iPad. I figured I would take a few hours and type it all in for you all instead of everyone having to do it. Did you notice how many powder types I put in there! :eek:

Olympus
July 5, 2012, 11:20 AM
I use my phone so the pickers are a lot easier and faster. Just a suggestion.

sirgilligan
July 6, 2012, 09:55 AM
I just got a message from a valued user that the update crashed and lost his data.
Of course I am freaking out over this. It seems that the Apple App store is having issues.

I posted immediately to the support site:
http://gunlogapp.blogspot.com/2012/07/gun-log-51-release.html

From CNET:

"We are aware of the issue related to apps crashing after update. We are currently working on resolving the issue. Stay tuned for updates."

In addition to this statement, Apple has contacted developers by e-mail to notify them that should customers have crashing problems, they can be instructed to contact Apple, which will then determine if the problem is its fault or from a bug in the program:

If a customer reports receiving an error when downloading your app from the App Store, he or she can receive direct help from the iTunes Store Customer Support team: http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/

If the iTunes Store Customer Support team determines that the issue lies with your app and not with the App Store or the customer's account, Apple will contact you to resolve this issue.

Please let us know if you need additional assistance regarding your app.

I got this message from Apple Support:

Thank you for contacting App Store Developer Support regarding the App Store.

We appreciate your report of the issue you have experienced with your app and the App Store. Please know that the iTunes team is aware of the issue and is working to correct the problem as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience as we work to resolve this issue.

I am sorry. If you have any issue contact me.

p.s.

If you are not having issues, please contact me. I do not know how wide spread is the problem.

ScottRiqui
July 6, 2012, 10:21 AM
I'm not sure if my iPhone has automatically updated me to 5.1 (I have GunLog +P, so possibly not), so this may have been fixed already, but when I'm in the "ammo" screen and try to change the "quantity" field, the touchtone-phone type keypad that pops up completely covers the field I'm trying to change, and the keypad doesn't have a "Done" or "Enter" button. I have to click somewhere off the keypad to make it disappear before saving my changes.

Also, if I'm understanding correctly, the "quantity" entry in the ammo page isn't how much I currently have on-hand, it's a grand total of how much I've bought or made since I started using the program. That figure, while interesting, could probably afford to be buried in a report, and it would make checking/updating my inventory much easier if I could just make the quantity entry in the ammo page match what I currently have on-hand.

Overall, I'm liking the app a lot, which is probably why I'm nitpicking about the small things that still bother me, rather than just discarding the app entirely like I've done with others.

sirgilligan
July 6, 2012, 10:32 AM
ScottRiqui,

The "quantity" field... do you mean round count?
There should be a dismiss keypad button on the top right of the app.

The update issue is with Gun Log, not Gun Log +P.

The view scrolls, so if the field is covered, just drag it into view.

The round count is how much you have on hand when you start tracking usage with the app. You don't decrement the round count when you shoot some, unless you didn't track it with a firing set.

ScottRiqui
July 6, 2012, 11:10 AM
The round count is how much you have on hand when you start tracking usage with the app. You don't decrement the round count when you shoot some, unless you didn't track it with a firing set.

The "round count" in the ammo page doesn't decrement automatically when I enter a firing set, but I do need to manually increment it when I buy/make more ammo, right? That's why I was asking if it's a grand total of all of that particular round that I've ever bought/made, because that's how it appears to behave.

And thanks for the tip about the scrolling fields and the "collapse keypad" button - can't believe I missed that.

sirgilligan
July 6, 2012, 12:21 PM
The "round count" in the ammo page doesn't decrement automatically when I enter a firing set, but I do need to manually increment it when I buy/make more ammo, right?

Right. Go to the reports section to see current available rounds, rounds fired, stuff like that.

sirgilligan
July 6, 2012, 06:23 PM
Apple has fixed the problem and all apps that were affected by the issue will show up in the App store with an "update" available. I know for certain Gun Log was affected because all of my devices show an update pending for Gun Log.

Please backup your data. This time the issue may have been Apple's mistake, the next time it could be mine.

Apple Says It Has Fixed Server Bug That Led to Crashing Apps (http://gunlogapp.blogspot.com/2012/07/gun-log-51-release.html)

“We had a temporary issue that began yesterday with a server that generated DRM code for some apps being downloaded,” Apple said in a statement to AllThingsD.

If Gun Log 5.1 crashes on launch after the update, do not delete the app. Check and see if there is another update available. Also, if you have backed up the database, secure that backup. If you don't have a backup, and have not deleted the app to reinstall it, the data is still there, so do a backup as described below.

Here are some more links concerning the issue:

AllThingsD (http://allthingsd.com/20120705/apple-says-it-has-fixed-server-bug-that-led-to-crashing-apps/)

WebProNews (http://www.webpronews.com/apple-resolves-app-store-update-problem-2012-07)

LA Times (http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-apple-corrupt-app-store-resolved-20120706,0,4186026.story)

Marco.org (http://www.marco.org/2012/07/04/app-store-corrupt-binaries)

I apologize to the users that are effected by this situation. If you do not have backups of your data then the data is lost.

timd
July 17, 2012, 08:56 PM
I bought +P, and generally like it. I would like the ability to add multiple pictures.

sirgilligan
August 1, 2012, 09:56 PM
I updated both apps today.

Gun Log +P (GL+P) got a major overhaul. It is now using the updated database that Gun Log (GL) uses.

The focus was on pickers, so you can now enter custom values and do not have to wait for me to update the app with a new powder or weapon manufacturer.

The next focus was on ballistics. This is a shooting app. Yes it does inventory better than most (I think better than any), but it is a shooting app first and foremost. You can now save drop tables with a weapon config and ammo specified and don't have to enter it every time.

Also you can save a drop table without associating it with a weapon and ammo. Just enter sight height, muzzle velocity, ballistic coefficient (G1), and zero distance. This is very handy, especially when a friend asks me to do a calculation for them.

Thank you to the moderators of "The Firing Line" for allowing this thread. The app is completely developed by just me, no others helping. The proceeds have paid for my lifetime NRA membership, ammo, and various other shooting related products and activities. Thank you for supporting me while I provide an app that is useful for those that are "into" iOS apps and tracking their shooting. For the rest of you, a note pad still works just fine. :)

sirgilligan
February 3, 2013, 10:35 PM
Just wanted everyone to know that there is about to be a new release of Gun Log SPC. It is in review and hopefully be approved soon. 6.0 will have expense reports, which can tell you what you have spent on firearms, accessories, and ammo. It also tallies up the cost of ammo during a range session.

http://gunlogspc.blogspot.com/

nikihristov
February 4, 2013, 12:52 AM
Android version would be very nice! :)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

sirgilligan
February 4, 2013, 09:23 AM
I know, I know. There is only one of me.

Mike Irwin
February 4, 2013, 10:01 AM
There's only one Droid, too, so it should be a fair fight.

I will never, ever, purchase an I phone, so unless this app comes out for Android, I'll be using something else.

nikihristov
February 4, 2013, 12:27 PM
There is no such application for Android /reloading/guns/targets log/, so you can be the first.
I have tried Gun Tracker, Reloading Ballistics, RangeLog, but they are years behind you.
Good luck!

sirgilligan
February 5, 2013, 09:42 AM
There's only one Droid, too, so it should be a fair fight.

:D

I can whip that Droid with my best coding arm tied behind my back.

Honestly, it is the shear size of the app. It is all I can do to take care of the code for iOS. The app is seriously large.

There is no such application for Android /reloading/guns/targets log/, so you can be the first.
I have tried Gun Tracker, Reloading Ballistics, RangeLog, but they are years behind you.
Good luck!

My brother wants me to go the next level and make a serious reloading/hand loading app.

Gun Log and Gun Log SPC combined do not make a lot of money. It is a hobby, a service, and an income that pays for some computer hardware every three years, and has paid three rifles and a pistol, and ammo. After taxes the money is all gone. Point is, I only get to work on this a few hours a week, when I am not at my day job, or changing the oil in my truck, or fighting a drippy faucet, or whatever else everyday life brings.

p.s. I have been spending the vast majority of my free time studying anything and everything to do with possible weapons bans, magazine bans, and such. I have emailed my representatives many many times, attended the state capitol march last month, and continuously keep the conversation alive on facebook, with friends, and neighbors. Last night I even emailed the President. Just wanted him that I didn't believe that most gun owners agree with him, because I haven't met one yet that does.

sirgilligan
February 8, 2013, 02:03 PM
Okay, the app has been approved and released to the App Store. Enjoy. As usual the new features are available to previous users, none of this In-App-Update stuff where you have to pay extra.

Please like Gun Log SPC on Facebook and write a review on the App Store.

https://www.facebook.com/GunLogSpc

As long as the App sells I will keep working on it.

SC4006
February 8, 2013, 03:51 PM
I just downloaded this app today for my iPad, and it is very nice! Hope you get enough money for that SCAR you want, very fine rifles indeed.

4runnerman
February 8, 2013, 04:00 PM
will have to check it out

sirgilligan
February 8, 2013, 04:40 PM
Thanks all.

sirgilligan
February 26, 2013, 09:48 AM
Gun Log and Gun Log SPC are on sale for a few days. This is primarily for those using Gun Log +P that want to switch over. I know that many of my page views come from users of The Firing Line, and wanted to make a special note to all of you.

Here is the deal:

I offered a period of time for GL+P users to switch for free and a few took me up on that. I know there are several thousand GL+P users that might want to switch, so I am offering Gun Log and Gun Log SPC at a reduced price for a few days.

Anyone can purchase the apps, but this is primarily for GL+P users. GL+P is not currently being developed and I want everyone to have the chance to switch over if they wish, especially while the databases are still compatible.

http://gunappreviews.blogspot.com/2013/01/gun-log-versus-gun-log-spc.html

sirgilligan
May 24, 2013, 09:46 PM
Gun Log and Gun Log SPC were recently updated.
Also, they are on sale for the Memorial Day weekend.

For those that don't know, these apps are iOS apps for iPad and iPhone. They are meant to be range logs first and you can record almost every detail of a firing set.

Also it stores ammunition and tracks usage. You can enter information about off the shelf ammo or details about your hand loads such as bullet info, powder info, primer info, etc.

You can store when you cleaned your weapon last or log failures and malfunctions so you can note which ammo or accessories are associated to failures.

Check it out while it is on sale!

http://gunlogspc.blogspot.com/

sirgilligan
January 3, 2014, 11:00 AM
7.0.8 is released and you can now generate PDF files like this:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Ku8MfTY-buA/UsbdDW2SvcI/AAAAAAAAD3I/TwgQ8FzB4D0/s1600/cz_9_11_2012.png

KeeperOath
January 3, 2014, 03:45 PM
I just purchased/downloaded my copy of IOS version 7.0.8 and I'll reply once I have use it.

It looks great. I do most all of this now with pad and pencil. I'll be one of the cool guys at my LGS Range.

sirgilligan
January 3, 2014, 04:21 PM
I just purchased/downloaded my copy of IOS version 7.0.8 and I'll reply once I have use it.

It looks great. I do most all of this now with pad and pencil. I'll be one of the cool guys at my LGS Range.

On the main firearms list, at the top near the title "Firearms" there is an info button "i", tap that to find the url for the support site. There are details how to use the app.

4runnerman
January 3, 2014, 06:31 PM
I started using it last year now. It is a great way to keep track of some stuff. I like the drop table set up the most. My phone is with me all the time so it is a great plus to have

sirgilligan
January 4, 2014, 01:07 AM
It took me an entire summer to code up the ballistics calculator. I am glad you find it useful. I wrote it to help me sight my rifle in.

sirgilligan
September 4, 2014, 08:47 AM
I have been thinking about the future of the Gun Log family of apps. What do you all think about me selling the app, that is the source code, lock, stock, and barrel? If the right buyer could be found they could change the app's pricing to free because the app would be an advertising tool for them. For example suppose Brownells, Cabelas, the NRA, or Remington bought the app, they could put their splash screen on the app, add a page for news feeds, or other brand related news. This is just a thought. What do you think? If you think it is an idea to investigate then who would you contact? Would you contact the NRA, Ruger, Browning, Brownells, Midway USA, etc...?