PDA

View Full Version : this is not midnight cowboy

8shot357
May 16, 2011, 08:12 AM
I'm going to drive with a buddy to CA from Las Vegas NV to San fransisco within hours in his car.

I'm taking a bus (greyhound) with out an CCW in minutes when I get there back to Veges.

No knifes, no pepper srays, no gun (REALY?) no zap guns.

Ok, I'm at a pen to poke there eyes out, but I'll be sued.

What else should I do, or what should I bring?

Skans
May 16, 2011, 09:43 AM
How about: Bow, Cross-Bow, roll of Quarters, Whip, expandable baton, sack full of batteries, straight razor, sling shot....

I try to stay in states that let me carry a gun. When I have to travel via airplane I leave my gun at home. It is what it is - don't know how else I can help you.:confused:

chadstrickland
May 16, 2011, 09:52 AM
Go get you a decent size master lock, six feet of 550 ( para cord )...that should be all you need..you can use the lock as brass knuckles or attach the 550 to it and you have a blunt mace...remember those are perfectly leagle to carry with you..however it is what you intend to do with them that could make them illegal...so I would keep the 550 and lock separated in two different pockets :)

8shot357
May 16, 2011, 10:22 AM
I just called my buddy (USAF) and told him I'm driving (9:30am Specific) with him his German car to Hollywood/CA. He's moving to Guam for 2-3 years.
---
I just called him a few hours ago inviting myself to tour the desert from Vegas to Las Angels. I'm taking the Greyhound back, hence the Midnight Cowboy theme. Wish me luck with no damned gun.:D

Thanks for the advise, see ya tomorrow.

By the way, can I carry hair spray, I mean pepper spray? I'm not going to even ask about a stun gun!:D f-n Kali:rolleyes:

Well, I have an hour to get an extra pair of underwear ready, and a role of toilet paper. Been there, it's been just 20 years though. See ya in Vegas.

8pages

8shot357
May 16, 2011, 10:39 AM
No time to look up laws, but I'd like to bring the pepper spray. I don't mind them taking it from me, I just don't want to go to jail for it.

Getting in the shower, leaving soon.

FYI it 54*F high today, 61*F low tonight, and 54*F high tomorrow.

Onward Allusion
May 16, 2011, 10:49 AM
8shot357
this is not midnight cowboy

Why no knife or pepper spray? Perfectly legal. Keep it at 3" or less and you will have nothing to worry about. Wear a Mag Lite, too. You'll be more than set...

Have fun in SF. BEAUTIFUL city & GREAT food.

moose_nukelz
May 16, 2011, 10:50 AM
Most over the counter pepper sprays are legal in California, unless it has some restrictions on the can like "LAW ENFORCEMENT ONLY" and you have to show some form of LE credentials to buy it you should be fine. Batons are a nice and easy way to get hooked for felony possession of a deadly weapon in this state.

davlandrum
May 16, 2011, 12:00 PM
You ain't going to Iraq - situational awareness is the most important tool and no one can take that away from you.

Skans
May 16, 2011, 12:52 PM
I've never been to Iraq.....nor San Francisco - they both seem just about as foreign to me. Maybe wearing flowers in your hair and a haze of marijuana smoke around you acts like Kevlar ballistic vest in SF? Do your research, and good luck.:D

JC57
May 16, 2011, 01:05 PM
I've been to LA, San Diego, and San Francisco several times and never needed any sort of weaponry. I survived OK, you might too. Don't worry so much about it and just have a good time with your friend.

Eagle0711
May 16, 2011, 01:19 PM
I vote for the knife. Just keep it hidden in your pocket. I'd carry a cheaper one in case they take it away.

Don't let the trouble maker see it. Keep it hidden in the reverse grip or under you opposite arm. Behind your led works well. Get close and.........

Buzzcook
May 16, 2011, 02:47 PM
Take a good book, maybe a magazine as well. Don't forget some snacks and drink. Wear comfortable clothing.

Oh and leave the paranoia at home.

markj
May 16, 2011, 03:03 PM
Wish me luck with no damned gun

I belive 1 or 2 people have done this successfully.......

oneounceload
May 16, 2011, 03:38 PM
SF is a very nice city with VERY good food. Stay out of the one or two neighborhoods every city seems to have and you'll be fine

Don Glock
May 16, 2011, 03:42 PM
just bring a whistle to alert police if you're in danger

Doc TH
May 16, 2011, 08:40 PM
Carry a hickory cane. Legal everywhere for aid with your sore knee.

bigbaby
May 16, 2011, 08:47 PM
My advice, and I am not trying to be a smartass, is, if you are so concerned about a short trip without a weapon; STAY HOME!

Edward429451
May 16, 2011, 08:55 PM
I belive 1 or 2 people have done this successfully.......

It's only one. The one gent received a very stern look from an irate woman, so the vpc classified it as a failure.

markj
May 17, 2011, 04:28 PM
The one gent received a very stern look from an irate woman, so the vpc classified it as a failure

OK I was wrong, one guy has done this successfully :) so now is his chance to make it two....

Get a spray bottle like the corner window washer dudes use. Fill it wit hwater and epson salts make sure the sals get dissolved. Use this on anyone gets after you in the eyes. You will have plenty of time to get away.

I carried a squirt gun like that when I went to school in a bad part of town in 7th grade. Usedd it on a guy wanted my lunch money, he is still howling....was 45 years ago...

Doc Intrepid
May 17, 2011, 04:45 PM
I'm with the other Doc --

Go to Walgreens or CVS or Rite Aid.

Get yourself a thick heavy hardwood (not aluminum) cane for that hurt knee of yours.

Perfectly legal.

Then avoid problems...and enjoy the ride!

Best with it...

tgreening
May 17, 2011, 11:04 PM
Enjoy the ride? Man I take it you've never taken the Greyhound from LA to Vegas. I did that once. Once.... Took almost 13 freakin hours because we had to stop every quarter freakin mile to pick up some desert dweller (think The Hills have Eyes kind of people). I would have rather hitch hiked.

8shot357
May 17, 2011, 11:33 PM
Long story short, I made it back driving his old 1981 Mercedes turbo diesel with 358,000 miles back to Vegas with an unused Greyhound ticket from Compton, CA (LA?). I thought he said San Fran, but it turned out to be LA.

I'm mad, because I left some freshly made tortilla's at the Hotel. The only thing that I was concerned with after he finished his first six pack at the Motel was, he wanted to walk to the liquor store for some more beer late at night on Long Beach wearing a Polo shirt with his nice Air Force hair cut. I loved the bullet proof cashier cage, nice visual effect. At least I remembered ice this time, I hate warm Bourbon.:D

PS: Hookers on just about every corner, even some in the morning (8am) rain driving him to LAX to be shipped out to Guam. Still never been on a Greyhound yet.

PS, PS: I brought a shank, a 3" shank, a #2 screw driver. Honest!:D

BlueTrain
May 18, 2011, 06:00 AM
Travel at night, avoid major highways, don't stay in the same place twice.

gearhounds
May 18, 2011, 08:50 AM
Make sure not to call and tell your mom where you are; that way the terminator will have a harder time finding you.

bigbaby
May 18, 2011, 09:37 AM
Just stay home with your twelve gauge or machine gun or whatever it is that gives you that secure feeling. You will be bored , but well protected.

8shot357
May 18, 2011, 12:28 PM
8shot357

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Long story short, I made it back driving his old 1981 Mercedes turbo diesel with 358,000 miles back to Vegas with an unused Greyhound ticket from Compton, CA (LA?). I thought he said San Fran, but it turned out to be LA.

I'm mad, because I left some freshly made tortilla's at the Hotel. The only thing that I was concerned with after he finished his first six pack at the Motel was, he wanted to walk to the liquor store for some more beer late at night on Long Beach wearing a Polo shirt with his nice Air Force hair cut. I loved the bullet proof cashier cage, nice visual effect. At least I remembered ice this time, I hate warm Bourbon.

PS: Hookers on just about every corner, even some in the morning (8am) rain driving him to LAX to be shipped out to Guam. Still never been on a Greyhound yet.

PS, PS: I brought a shank, a 3" shank, a #2 screw driver. Honest!
Attached Images Gun Compensator Hi point 002.jpg (147.7 KB, 9 views)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by 8shot357; Today at 12:57 AM. Reason: Without a gun, all by my self.

8shot357
View Public Profile
Send a private message to 8shot357
Find More Posts by 8shot357
Add 8shot357 to Your Contacts

Today, 04:00 AM #23
BlueTrain

Posts: 3,408 Travel at night, avoid major highways, don't stay in the same place twice.
Buy War Bonds.

BlueTrain
View Public Profile
Send a private message to BlueTrain
Send email to BlueTrain
Find More Posts by BlueTrain
Add BlueTrain to Your Contacts

Today, 06:50 AM #24
gearhounds

Posts: 284 Make sure not to call and tell your mom where you are; that way the terminator will have a harder time finding you.

gearhounds
View Public Profile
Send a private message to gearhounds
Find More Posts by gearhounds
Add gearhounds to Your Contacts

Today, 07:37 AM #25
bigbaby

Posts: 40 Just stay home with your twelve gauge or machine gun or whatever it is that gives you that secure feeling. You will be bored , but well protected.

Last edited by bigbaby; Today at 10:11 AM.

Travel at night! I do that when I drive across the country, but not a 250 stint. Boring!

Try a 2000+ on a motorcycle. No biggy, but it was on short notice, almost minute's before I left.

Anyway, I obviously couldn't carry my gun, but I carried a shank (screw driver)

markj
May 18, 2011, 02:40 PM
Enjoy the ride? Man I take it you've never taken the Greyhound from LA to Vegas.

Just like Hunter Thompson in fear and loathing in las vegas, a good read. I was the hitch hiker they scered off :) not really.....

Bubba in c.a.
May 20, 2011, 02:28 PM
It is south of, and worse than, Los angeles!
Glad you made it. In wienie states you are much limited to a walking stick or some other improvised weapon. Write no the state tourist agency and tell them you are never coming back until they change their laws--and then spend your tourist dollars elsewhere.