PDA

View Full Version : Knife vs Gun

amazon shooter
May 14, 2011, 02:03 PM
Hi guys,

Situation: Low light conditions. You are in a third world country where they kill people for a $100. You are confronted by three BGs. They are within 6 feet of you. One pulls a knife and says he wants everything you got. You have a concealed handgun. They will eventually discover it if you let them strip you clean.

Question: What's your best option?

a. Move off line and start shooting until the threat is neutralized.
b. Do nothing and hope for the best.
c. Pull your gun out and hope they run.
d. Turn and run - I'm 65, so that won't work.

BikerRN
May 14, 2011, 02:12 PM
Based on available choices:

A

Close enough to threaten me with a knife is close enough to inflict death with a knife, not to mention the disparity of force. The time for discussion is over as far as I'm concerned.

Biker

C0untZer0
May 14, 2011, 02:38 PM
Offer them each $100.00 to go kill someone else.

old bear
May 14, 2011, 02:38 PM
A

Close enough to threaten me with a knife is close enough to inflict death with a knife, not to mention the disparity of force. The time for discussion is over as far as I'm concerned.

Biker

What he said!!

chadstrickland
May 14, 2011, 03:28 PM
Lol..+1 to the 100 bucks to them each

Nickel Plated
May 14, 2011, 03:41 PM
Offer each $100 to kill each other?

How concealed is the gun? Could try going for it in a way as to make it look like you are reaching for your wallet.

Although I would run and draw my gun as I'm running. If they start catching up, then I let the lead fly.

kraigwy
May 14, 2011, 03:46 PM
Don't know of any third world countries that would let you carry a gun concealed or not. I ain't going there anyway.

But

I never heard the expression "DONT CARRY A GUN TO A KNIFE FIGHT"

10mm man
May 14, 2011, 04:02 PM
that scenario happens here in the US for far less than $100.

my response though, would to be back pedaling and drawing weapon.

Crazy88Fingers
May 14, 2011, 04:17 PM
that scenario happens here in the US for far less than $100.

My thoughts exactly. Seems to me like it would be time for plan A.

Brian Pfleuger
May 14, 2011, 04:18 PM
As presented, I would guess that you don't have much choice but to draw and fire unless the knife is dropped before you get the gun ready.

I would agree with backpedaling but I would want to think carefully about the order of events. If you start backpedaling before you draw, it might elicit an attack from Mr Knife before you can present the gun. I would think faking a "yeah, I'll get my wallet", leading to a draw/shoot and begin backing away as you fire.

bigbaby
May 14, 2011, 04:42 PM
I hate pointy things; they scare me. Guess I would have had to put a cap in his ' Besides if I'm in Tijuana I'm gonna need the 100 for booze money.

Doc Intrepid
May 14, 2011, 04:51 PM
I'm with Peetza, but I would go one additional step.

I wouldn't fake the wallet. There is nothing in my wallet (including the $40 or so cash I'll ever carry in it) I wish to kill or die for. Given that scenario I have no problem with tossing my wallet to the 3 badguys while backing away. If they take it and swagger off, ...fine - I'll cancel my cards and breath a sigh of relief that I didn't have to shoot anyone, pay lawyers bills, go to court, possibly lose my security clearance and my job, and other huge outcomes and consequences.

Besides, if they DON'T just take my wallet and swagger off, thats pretty much proof in any court that it was never about my wallet to begin with.

And therefore, the fact that they didn't just want to rob me and continued their attack underscores why I would conclude that they presented an immediate threat to my life, which justified my use of deadly force.

(Plus, while they're catching and looking through my wallet, it gives me time to draw!)

By the way, Peetza - I really like that C.S. Lewis quote in your sig line...

Boberama
May 14, 2011, 05:58 PM
What kind of knife?

0-Boberama

Seaman
May 14, 2011, 06:05 PM
Three perps 6 feet in front of me and one pulls a knife and demands my money.

Well 6 feet is real close.

What I do?

Draw and empty my 45 as fast as I can and hope I don't get cut too bad, guess that would be 'option a.'

irish52084
May 15, 2011, 01:14 PM
Some variation of option A. Make distance and angles while drawing the weapon is your best bet. A knife is lethal from 21 feet, based on the idea of being able to raw and fire before the knife gets to you.

The other big part of this scenario or any scenario with a blade is your mindset. I was taught that if you fight with a blade you have to understand that you will get cut and that understanding can help you not freak out or go into shock. Wasn't there a video posted a few days ago of a guy with a knife who stabbed 2 cops in S. America? Those guys weren't mentally prepared and they paid the price for underestimating a guy with a knife.

jhenry
May 15, 2011, 01:38 PM
They are going to kill you anyway. If I am going down I am at least going to make my body easy to find. Start shooting and make your odds of survival better.

threegun
May 15, 2011, 03:02 PM
If you start backpedaling before you draw, it might elicit an attack from Mr Knife before you can present the gun.

A+. It would be even better if you have your firearm close to clearing leather upon the three bad guys approach.

My fanny pack would be open and my hand on the gun once it became clear that the trio was interested in me. The instant their intentions became known out comes the gun. Maintaining separation is vital both before the intent is known thru the production of the knife. You simply cannot allow three strangers to get within 6ft with unknown intent. You must challenge, question, and then react before they get close enough to get you.

threegun
May 15, 2011, 03:19 PM
Besides, if they DON'T just take my wallet and swagger off, thats pretty much proof in any court that it was never about my wallet to begin with.

And therefore, the fact that they didn't just want to rob me and continued their attack underscores why I would conclude that they presented an immediate threat to my life, which justified my use of deadly force.

As if "armed robbery" needs additional support to justify use of deadly force. I pull a knife and say gimme your money what I am saying is give me your money or I will use this knife. That is instant justification and no further hurdles need be jumped.

Further, tossing wallets or faking the bad guy to access the gun is very unpredictable. We simply don't know how the bad guy will respond to our antics.

This is why I love my fanny pack. Its slower than other methods of carry in reacting to a surprise however it allows me discrete access without alarming anyone. I can access my firearm without anyone knowing........a huge advantage when combined with a properly working situational awareness radar.

smince
May 15, 2011, 03:22 PM
a. Move off line and start shooting until the threat is neutralized.My plan for most incidents, not just the one mentioned in the OP.

lawnboy
May 15, 2011, 03:55 PM
Didn't anyone ever see Indiana Jones? Gun vs. Sword. Gun wins. It was further than 6 feet, but still.

Seriously though. I'm drawing and shooting in this situation in any country. I may back up while I'm shooting, in fact I probably will retreat unless there is a barricade or wall behind me. The particulars of exactly how I'd do it can't be determined until the actual scenario occurs.

moose_nukelz
May 15, 2011, 10:05 PM
Mentally prepare yourself to start bleeding because you are going get cut when a knife is involved if your weapon is still in the holster and they are inside 30 feet, and that is if everything goes perfect on your part. We have played with airsoft pistols and sharpies to see what happens and the sharpie usually wins.

egor20
May 15, 2011, 10:15 PM
I would have to choose A.

I've been in a knife fight before, they're not pretty, and nothing like Hollywood. Its quick, bloody and you hope the other guy bleeds out before you do, trust me unless your Steven Seagal or Jason Bourne...... YOU ARE GOING TO GET CUT.

Kyo
May 15, 2011, 11:10 PM
6 feet is too close. too bad you don't have your own knife. when you bring a gun to a knife fight then you die.
I pick secret answer E. Don't get yourself in this idiotic situation. Ask yourself how you got there. If you are 65 then you should have enough wisdom to not go out in a third world country at night alone. And if you HAVE to, why wouldn't you keep your hand on your weapon at all times anyway? You think third world countries have holster laws or something? I am from a third world country. They could care less.

TenRing
May 16, 2011, 12:58 AM
Many so-called third world nations don't allow citizens to carry guns so you should say which third world country you are strolling through. If you use the gun, you might survive the mugging only to spend several years or more in a third world prison.

One strategy might be to carry a spare decoy wallet with $20 to $25 in it in $1s and $5s to make it look like a lot of money. Don't carry credit cards or ID in the decoy wallet. Just toss the decoy wallet and say "please leave me alone". If they don't lose interest in you, this might give you the few seconds you need to draw and fire.

Better yet, don't let anyone close in on you to six feet. Six feet is basically reach-out-and-grab distance...way too close for comfort. Walk with others when strolling third world nations. Been there, done that. Not sure I want to ever do it again.

DRBoyle
May 16, 2011, 02:16 AM
If memory serves isn't it in the Philipinees that have all those home/backyard gunsmiths? Odds are in those countries you'll get held up with a gun. Barring that anyone brings a knife to a gun fight should be out of luck. Doesn't matter what size the knife, as long as it's big enough to draw blood with repeated blows. Even the humble swiss army knife with the bottle screw opener outwards (used in brass knuckles fashion) is enough to be a threat. An artery cut is an artery cut.

The a) options sounds like the better bet.

Perhaps if it it's a revolver risk a first shot from the pocket. Ofcourse depends on where the firearm is.

AZAK
May 16, 2011, 02:43 AM
If the odds are three to one, within six feet with the knife already presented and your gun still holstered...

you screwed up allowing yourself to get in that position.

If you have ever run these type of scenarios with rubber knives/markers, you would know that the above is very true. (Even one well trained person with a knife can easily have you incapacitated and "basically dead before you hit the ground" without you getting a shot off.) That's not to say that there is not good training that can help make your odds of survival greater.

If the three are determined to harm you and basically are not totally inept (drunk, over 85 years old, using walkers, and having white tipped canes) you can fight as furiously, dirty, and determinedly as possible (Vegaswise, I personally wouldn't take those odds and betting on the one versus the three if I was a bettin' man.)

This is one of those questions where one says, "Avoid getting in to this situation if at all possible." Low light, third world country, $100/hitmen, being alone...

Seaman
May 16, 2011, 08:22 AM
Tho the OPs foreign country SHTF scenario is a tad sensationalist, if I were going abroad I would ensure that my work contract included a legal local carry permit and a couple of compact Sig P220s....or I wouldn't go there.

But you don't have to go a nasty country to experience peril, the same could happen in Detroit or Miami...regardless of how good your radar is. I've been detoured thru bad neighborhoods in Detroit and in Chicago too, a flat tire could be a challenge, more so in Chicago because my carry permit is not valid there...so I don't visit Chicago anymore, despite the wonderful people, restaurants and museums.

And even when carrying sometimes one's radar fails. Recall watching a video of a guy (in Florida) who was ambushed and murdered by 3 perps who were hiding unseen. They rushed the victim (in broad daylight) when he opened his car door, even tho he was armed with a 38 snubbie, he was not quick enough.

Had he been quick enough and known how to shoot in this kind of attack, perhaps he would have survived. So don't think it can't happen, no one's situational awareness and radar is 100%. And that's when weapons, tactics, and determined fighting can save the day.

Check your six.

Eagle0711
May 16, 2011, 01:28 PM
I vote for A. Just because it's against their law doesn't mean that it can't be done.

I'd say that God's Law would supersede their law. You know, better judged by 12 ( or one crook) than carried by six.

At least you'd be alive to deal with the legal matters.

Wouldn't lose too much sleep over sending the BGs to hell.

markj
May 16, 2011, 03:08 PM
Offer them a free tree chicken and run :) they dont carry knives dude they carry machetes and can carve tiny little designs in wood with them let alone what they could do to a human.

Anyone and I mean anyone has a knife out and is ready can put a hurtin on ya quick. Getting stuck hurts and hospital bills suck. (I was stabbed in my kneck by a idiot) Happened so fast I didnt know what hit me he came up behind me. Wont happen again.

smince
May 16, 2011, 07:28 PM
And even when carrying sometimes one's radar fails...So don't think it can't happen, no one's situational awareness and radar is 100%.Thank you for this.

Too many people seem to live with the idea that their awareness is infallible and they won't be 'got'. :rolleyes:

threegun
May 16, 2011, 07:54 PM
Smince, If someone really wants to get you they will eventually. So it is agreed that no human has 100 percent SA perfection. That said there are many folks that are real consistent at it.

MrWesson
May 17, 2011, 12:10 PM
Option A and hope you are near a hospital cause you gonna get cut/stabbed.

tape
May 17, 2011, 12:14 PM
start blasting, and while I'm blasting their a$$, I tell them "don't bring a knife to a gunfight"

JustThisGuy
May 18, 2011, 10:56 AM
I work in the Middle-East, North and West Africa and South Asia (yes, that South Asia) as a Security and Anti-Terrorism consultant for large international corporations, major NGOs (think peacekeepers) and foreign governments.

I do not know of a single "third-world" government which legalizes any ex-pat, including those who are legal residents of the country, to carry a hand-gun. The fact is, if you are caught carrying a hand-gun you WILL go to jail, and yes, I mean in the Midnight Cowboy sort of way.

A good example of this is former CIA operative Raymond Davis, who defended himself against two robbers in Pakistan. For anyone unfamiliar with the case, see: "Us Consular Employee in Pakistan Charged with Murder, After Shooting 2 Armed Robbers" http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/news-good-bad-ugly/118903-us-consular-employee-pakistan-charged-murder-after-shooting-2-armed-robbers-3.html (www.defensivecarry.com).

Give them your belongings. Do anything else and if you live, you will almost certainly be on the extreme wrong side of a very anti-US Judicial System. Unless you are connected "to the top", and I do mean the very top, no one will be able to help you. Fight and die. I have third-world country morgue photos far too graphic to post on this forum of someone who chose the fight option.

More importantly, do not get yourself into any situation that could cause you to be confronted by BGs. If you are an ex-pat in a third-world country, you should have very good security protocols today. If you are a tourist in a third-world country. Stay with a group of at least 5 or 6 and do not frequent any area not recommended to you by the Concierge of your hotel.

I know I'm likely to be the brunt of some unfriendly opinions for this comment, but as one of the members of this forum says... "You are entitled to your own opinion. You are not entitled to your own facts."

fightingbard
May 18, 2011, 06:02 PM
Hello,

First of all, I think you are already too close (6 feet) to the attackers, to draw a handgun, before they get you with a knife...
Of course, these type of situations, always depend on "who is trained, and who just carries" a weapon.
My humble advice would be to draw your gun, "if there was only one attacker, and if you can draw within a second".
Take a step back and draw...
But 3 guys and 6 feet is a serious problem.
If one of them is trained with his knife, trust me, he can easily get you in a second "in that distance". I would not risk it...
Most likely, the amount of money on you, is not worth risking your life.
Again, these situations can never be foreseen, but I would probably "try and do" this:

While giving them what they want, try to catch a second to slowly get back and draw. And by draw I do not necessarily mean "shoot".
Just to make sure, they won't attack you after they rob you.

All the best

chadstrickland
May 18, 2011, 06:30 PM
I like the above post..however..I say if you are in a dark ally away from everyone..I would pull out my gun after giving them my wallet and then once they got about 10 to 15 feet away I would ask them to lay my wallet on the ground and then lay down while I call the cops..if they run..shoot them in the back..im not going to spend the rest of my life trying to get my social number back and all that...

threegun
May 18, 2011, 07:09 PM
I would ask them to lay my wallet on the ground and then lay down while I call the cops..if they run..shoot them in the back..im not going to spend the rest of my life trying to get my social number back and all that...

Nope but you will be spending a good chunk of your life behind bars for manslaughter if you shoot them as they retreat.

biohazurd
May 18, 2011, 10:43 PM
Im quite good at running in reverse so personally i would start retreating as i draw to try to widen the distance between me and my attackers and then i would fire away..

Robin Rasendill
May 18, 2011, 11:38 PM
In my country, Argentina, muggers seldom atack you with knives, they use chunky guns, or worse, sawed off shotguns. Never walk alone at night, drive your car or ride a taxi, if sommeone tries to atack you with a knife, first show your own folder with three inches blade, at the same time you may show your firearm, but shooting people is the last ditch, because the actual goverment is tryiing to protect the humen rights of any people, sadly the punks rights who usually are under age junkies.

amazon shooter
May 19, 2011, 04:12 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies. I didn’t think there would be so many responses. I will clarify my situation better in order to focus your future comments.

I’m an American citizen, who has resided in the Amazon for more than 25 years. I live on my farm outside of town. I usually return home after dark and it has become a growing concern over the years as the city grows in my direction and with it, violent crime.

Here, buying and carrying a handgun for personal defense is not a problem, so long as it is a 38 super, 38 special, 380 ACP or lesser caliber. We can’t have a 9mm for personal defense – the police and military use them. The legal process for ownership/license is not complicated. Recently, an American friend (legal resident) bought a Glock 25 and it was all done within a week. It’s probably easier here than in the States.

Like most of you, I’m aware of what’s going around me at all times, especially at night. However, when you live and work in a third world country, you mingle with the people and therefore you are exposed and sometimes @@@@ happens.

I agree, men with knives or handguns are dangerous people to confront and God help me that I never meet up with these people. But, perhaps once or twice in your life you may have to make a split second decision that will determine whether you live or die.

Tomorrow, I have an appointment with my lawyer on some matters and I will ask him what would likely happen to me if I had to kill someone in a violent confrontation. It should be interesting.

Deaf Smith
May 19, 2011, 06:11 PM
Situation: Low light conditions. You are in a third world country where they kill people for a $100. You are confronted by three BGs. They are within 6 feet of you. One pulls a knife and says he wants everything you got. You have a concealed handgun. They will eventually discover it if you let them strip you clean.

Well you have already messed up. You were on condition white and allowed them to get within 2 yards. You best defense is to see it coming or at least keep people in shady areas far enough away to allow you to either escape or draw.

So they are six feet away... I hope your roscoe is easy to pull fast! Otherwise there is a good chance you are gonna be stuck, literally.

Deaf

Eagle0711
May 20, 2011, 03:12 AM
There is a old saying" that some idiot grought a knife to a gun fight "

It's more likley that " some idiot bruoght a gun to a knife fight ".

ojibweindian
May 20, 2011, 05:34 AM
In the OP's scenario, I'd go with "A", realizing that it's going to be a really bad night.

abarhorst
May 20, 2011, 01:55 PM
While a gun would probably inflict mortal wounds it probably wouldn't stop or even slow down an attack at that range. You'd stop them quicker with a pepper spray in the face of the person with the knife which would temporarily disable him faster then a gun, and the others next.

If I where you I'd consider carrying the spray in my hand whenever condition's where as you described. That way there wouldn't be any delay in using it. Then only use the gun after the spray if it was still needed.

yaonttwo
May 20, 2011, 02:08 PM
a. Then move from Detroit.

Bubba in c.a.
May 20, 2011, 02:12 PM
buy somebody brought it back up.

1) 6 feet/multiple attackers--if they are motivated and bloodthirsty, it doesn't matter what you do. How do you know they are motivated? Intuition!
2) Nonsense about letting them get too close-crooks hide their motives till they are close in. My step son had a knife at his throar while walking to grandma's house before he even knew anything was going on. Wino stole a $15 neckchain.
3) I live in the 3rd world, am over 60, and have joint problems such that I can't run or kick. I have a ccw--it depends on the country whether a permanent resident can get one or not. Worse part of the process, other than running all over town, was when the psychologist at the local Women's Center started asking me technical questions about how to shoot a gun--I didn't know the words in Spanish but she helped me along and finally asked if I had been around guns a lot. When I said 50 years she signed me off.
4) What would I do in my town in above situation? Step sideways or back while drawing, shoot one shot into ground as a warning, and run. Not what you see in the John Wayne movies, is it? 50-50 chance they would panic and run, 50-50 they would follow and I would shoot them as best possible. Net-net, you are no worse off than you started-6 feet, multiple assailants. Keep in mind, in some countries warning shots are not only allowed, but encouraged by the police.
5) What would I do in more dangerous areas? Single tap each one and then run as best I could.
6) If you worry a lot, the best way to see the world is at home on PBS with your $1000 AR leaning against the wall.
7)For future trips to other countries, I'm thinking about a cane.Better than nothing.

kingkeoni
May 20, 2011, 02:19 PM
Option A is the only option.

One thing to consider though is that if you waste three bad guys in a foreign country you might not get out of there.

Hopefully no witnesses saw the incident.

Bubba in c.a.
May 20, 2011, 07:19 PM
If you think you will be immune to both civil and criminal prosecution you are sadly mistaken. If you kill the perps, keep in mind that the 3 of them most likely have at least 3 dozen close relatives who live nearby and are mad as heck that you killed poor sonny boy who they all know would never hurt a flea.
That's why running, with or without shots fired, is a very good option. Too bad my knees are so bad.
Throwing your wallet or money on the ground before running is also a good idea, but hard to do well on the 6 foot limit when y9ou would rather be hitting the road or drawing.
When I go to guatemala, which is a very dangerous place, I may carry a dummy wallet with a big stack of small bills for the first time. and run.
What works in AZ may not work here.

smince
May 21, 2011, 07:48 AM
That said there are many folks that are real consistent at it. And many aren't nearly as consistent at it as they think they are.

I merely realize that no matter how good I am at paying attention to my surroundings, there will always be distractions of one type or another.

amazon shooter
May 21, 2011, 08:45 PM
Hi guys,

I agree with you Bubba in C A 100%. You spelled it out better than I could and touched all of the variations.

But what happens if you have to shoot someone? The laws here are basically the same throughout the USA. Self-defense is spelled out in Article 20 of the Codigo Penal of Peru. I translated it on the google translator and this is it:

Article 20

3. He who acts in defense of property or legal interests of third parties provided that the following circumstances:

a) unlawful aggression;

b) Need rational means employed to prevent or repel it, and, (*)
(*) Literal amended by Article 1 of Law No. 27936, published on 12.02.2003, which reads as follows:

B) The need rational means employed to prevent or repel it. Is excluded for the assessment of this requirement the principle of proportionality of means, considered in its place, among other circumstances, the intensity and danger of aggression, the way of proceeding aggressor and the means available for defense. "

c) Lack of sufficient provocation on who makes the defense;

4. Which, to a present danger and insurmountable otherwise, that threatens the life, physical integrity, freedom or other legal right, performs an act intended to avert the danger of self or other, provided that the following requirements:

a) When the assessment of the conflicting legal interests affected and the intensity of the danger threatening the well protected predominant interest is damaged, and

b) When using an appropriate means to overcome the danger;

5. Which, to a present danger and not otherwise avoidable, which poses a threat to life, physical integrity or liberty, makes an unlawful act to avert the danger of himself or a person with whom he has close ties.
Not applicable this exemption if the agent could be required to accept or endure the danger in the given circumstances, especially if you caused the danger or was bound by a particular legal relationship;

6. Which work by overwhelming physical force from a third party or of nature;

7. He who acts compelled by duress of an evil equal to or greater;

8. The working through provision of law, in fulfillment of a duty or in the legitimate exercise of a right, office or position; (*)

(*) In accordance with Article 4 of Law No. 27936, published on 12.02.2003, the provisions of Articles 2 and 3 of the Act, shall apply to this subsection, in what amounts to this assumption.

9. The mandatory order that works by a competent authority, issued in exercise of its functions.

10. The acting with the consent of the holder of a valid legal right to free disposal.

_Muad'dib_
May 22, 2011, 04:00 AM
LOL at all the people who think they will be in their weaver stances, wrists locked and sighting down the barrel before anyone can get within 6 feet of them. I know this isn't that helpful of a post but c'mon now.

amazon shooter
May 22, 2011, 01:18 PM
I just remembered this story about a couple of gringo tourists in Manaus, Brasil some years ago - same thing happened to them at night in town.

I couldn't believe what the gringo told me. They had been robbed at knife point a week ago and had everything taken - passports, money, jewely, watches, etc. Well, after getting help from the consulate with new passports and money, they get held up again. The gringos were so ******, they told the BGs that they had just been robbed and that they should be given a pass on this robbery. The BGs said OK and let them go.

Even the BGs have got feelings and can be reasonable.

BikerRN
May 22, 2011, 03:32 PM
I just remembered this story about a couple of gringo tourists in Manaus, Brasil some years ago - same thing happened to them at night in town.

I couldn't believe what the gringo told me. They had been robbed at knife point a week ago and had everything taken - passports, money, jewely, watches, etc. Well, after getting help from the consulate with new passports and money, they get held up again. The gringos were so ******, they told the BGs that they had just been robbed and that they should be given a pass on this robbery. The BGs said OK and let them go.

Even the BGs have got feelings and can be reasonable.

It could also be that the badguys, in this case, detected that the potential victims in this case were going to put up resistance, and most badguys choose the path of least resistance.

That is why they fear the armed homeowner for the most part.

Biker

Single Six
May 22, 2011, 05:41 PM
Tactically, option A seems the most plausible. Speaking of edged weapons, anyone else besides me ever see what a box cutter can do to flesh? Most folks think of knives whenever they hear the word "blade", but trust me when I say this: NEVER underestimate the humble box cutter. I have seen many box cutter attack victims; the damage these ubiquitous instruments can inflict with just one swipe across the body is truly horrific.:barf:

Bubba in c.a.
May 22, 2011, 08:17 PM
Once upon a time I was walking down the main street of some nondescript little town in the former South Vietnam, unarmed (per US army policy). It was a real cowboy looking place, with mud streets and raised wooden sidewalks.
Next think I knew, some slickey boy yanked the wristwatch of my hand and took off running. ******, I gave chase, right down mainstreet, with full intent to pound the little dweeb into submission. Well (God it was good to be young), I made ground on him and when he saw me catching up, he very prominently threw my watch very high in the air in one direction and turned to run in the other.
I was tempted to forget the watch and chase him, but better sense prevailed as I noticed he was heading towards an alley. Alleys are not good places to chase badguys unless you have to and are loaded for bear.
I recovered my watch. The band was broken, but other than that it was just another cowboy kind of day in central Vietnam.
This sort of reenforces my theory of throw a wallet, real or dummy, and run. If these are dummy crooks, looking for easy money, they will go for the wallet. If these guys are looking for blood, it's a momentary distraction in your favor. Run. shoot, or both and a 6 feet it will be a miracle if you survive no matter what you do.

BlackFeather
May 23, 2011, 12:28 AM
Bigger knife, or stick. Use it to possibly parry and keep the others at a distance while retreating and drawing. Simple principle of distance that is applied in swordfighting. Or take a page from Fairbairn's "Get Tough", and use a chair.

Yes, I would actually do this. I've been confronted with a knife, and took a shallow thrust in the leg. I have martial arts training to back up my reasons.

Some of you posted very viable reasons not to be in the situation, but spend some time in some of the places in the U.S. where you are likely to get a flat tire. I've seen shards of glass work wonders.

fightingbard
May 23, 2011, 04:54 PM
Hello,

One thing I should add to my previous post is that, I humbly suggest every one to carry a knife. Always...When ever and where ever possible.
We all know that, a gun is not "needed" for the most part of our lives (at least for most of us), but it has to be there when it is needed.
On the other hand, I consider a knife, whether it is a folder or a fixed blade, is an everyday tool.
It is needed in all kinds of stuff in life, which I will not make a list of right now, but the list includes defending yourself. Especially within these distances.
If you are aware of the seriousness of the situation you are in, more or less trained with your tool, and most importantly, if you are determined to to act without hesitation.

All the best

Bubba in c.a.
May 30, 2011, 10:38 AM
At the house I always have a boot knife available, in fact, there are several. I don`t have any visions of being a great knife fighter--I am neither young, strong, a well-trained martial artist, nor suicidal.
The boot knife is a last resort if all else fails and I`m still alive. I see it as a stealth weapon, hopefully if it ever has to be used it will be in the perps liver before he even knows I have it.

cole k
May 31, 2011, 08:56 PM
Quote; BikerRN; May 14, 2011, 02:12 PM #2

A

Biker

Step to the side and open fire on the one with the knife. If the other two don't run open fire on them.

overkill0084
May 31, 2011, 09:16 PM
When I was in the Philippines, this was not an unusual scenario. We couldn't have guns.
1. Stay the hell out of dark alleys in the wee hours.
2. Travel in groups.
3. Try to not be falling down drunk.
4. Be able to run fast.
We all had knives, but you never wanted press to test on that one. A friend of mine got carved up pretty good standing his ground.
Any altercation between a local and an american was always decided in the local's favor if the "authorities" were involved. Unless the American knew someone or was connected in some way.

BlackFeather
June 1, 2011, 08:49 PM
I wouldn't hope to win against anyone in the Philippines with a knife. My Escrima/Kali skills aren't quite that great.

DRBoyle
June 3, 2011, 08:37 AM
Wondering if anyone has any first or second hand experience in these matters where an attack occurred and the tourist victim successfully sought out their embassy? Did they get turned away or turned over to local authority?

Inspector3711
June 3, 2011, 10:22 AM
I was unarmed once and had a butcher knife pulled on me. I used to have a small scar on my chest where the tip of the blade grazed me. Over the last 20 years it's pretty much disappeared.

The attacker ended up with a broken wrist.

I learned that day that knives completely **** me off. Guns scare me but knives make me go postal.

Come at me with a knife when I'm carrying a gun and I'll become the aggressor.

bamboo spear
June 4, 2011, 05:48 PM
I say draw, shoot the closest, armed assailant as you're backing up, and then run the other way. Hopefully, the other two won't pursue you if you have a handgun. If they do, try to bottleneck them or get around a corner or anything, get a little distance and force them to approach you one at a time, so all three of them can't swarm you and stab or beat you to death, or tackle you and kill you with your own pistol.

lasvegastransplant
June 4, 2011, 06:43 PM
"ONLY" if they are coming at me..... ;)