PDA

View Full Version : Trigger for ar15 build

jproaster
May 14, 2011, 01:15 PM
I'm building my first ar15 and I'd like to get an lpk w/ a pretty good trigger or a lpk sans trigger group (JPenterprises sells one [$40 at Rainier Arms]) and get a trigger group separately. I'll be doing a 5.56 upper and following up later with a 6.8. The primary uses will be plinking, self defense and hunting (6.8).

Some on another site mentioned regular lpks in the $50-60 range. I don't mind spending less; I just assumed that kit triggers could be improved upon. I'm willing to spend up to $200 for kit and trigger.

I don't know much about triggers for ar (only shot one once). So before you ask about the "kind" of trigger, I will say that if the two-stage is not good for hunting, I'll go the other route.

Thanks,
john

wnycollector
May 14, 2011, 02:01 PM
Check out gunbroker.com I picked up a complete lpk with a RRA 2 stage trigger for~$120 formy last lower build.,

Technosavant
May 14, 2011, 02:07 PM
Personally, I'm not sold on the funky aftermarket triggers unless you're doing a precision build. Most decent quality LPKs (RRA, DD, etc.) are in the $80 range, and going to a two stage or other nifty trigger adds about $100 or so to that.

For a defensive rifle, IMO, a two stage trigger is asking for it to go haywire at the worst time and leave you with a weird feeling single stage. But then, that's solely my opinion.

If you really want this, then PK Firearms tends to have Rock River LPKs that have their two stage trigger included for about $160. You can get them with the 3 pound Timney trigger, but those are quite a bit more.

jproaster
May 14, 2011, 02:40 PM
Thanks guys. I think that I'll just go for one of the kits you guys have mentioned.

john

jproaster
May 14, 2011, 06:06 PM
Just noticed at Palmetto: Ultimate lower kit- ctr stock, miad grip kit, and lpk with giessle ssa trigger ($369) or Premium kit- ctr, miad grip kit, and lpk ($225). Is this a trigger worth the extra $145?

Or just learn on the trigger in the psa kit?

I don't have money to burn by the way; I just want a really good shooter.

thanks,
john

Ridge_Runner_5
May 14, 2011, 06:23 PM
I love my Rock River 2 stage trigger...it's featherweight compared to the standard AR trigger.

Edward429451
May 14, 2011, 06:51 PM
I like my RockRiver two stage trigger. It's not too light, yet breaks very crisp.

sailskidrive
May 14, 2011, 07:11 PM
I've been buying RRA two stage triggers for my builds, light with a clean break, good deal for the money.

mc223
May 14, 2011, 11:11 PM
Spikes Battle Trigger

tINY
May 15, 2011, 01:27 AM
First off - on a defensive rifle, a two-stage trigger is probably better. You don't want an unintentional double tap and I've never heard of any issue with reliability.

I like the RRA two-stage so much that I don't think I'd install anything else on any AR15 I was building. But, I haven't put one in my 15-22 yet...

-tINY

jproaster
May 15, 2011, 07:29 AM
Appreciate the input- lots of RR fans I see. I'll look into the RR 2 stage.

john

Lemmon
May 15, 2011, 09:27 AM
I recently bit the bullet and purchased the Geissele Super Semi-Automatic Enhanced Trigger from Palmetto State Armory for my AR-15 lower. I have been very pleased with it. I thought it was worth the money.

Lemmon

The Geissele Super Semi-Automatic Enhanced (SSA-E) Trigger is a finely-tuned semi-automatic-only version of Geissele's full-auto, two stage combat trigger presently used in the U.S. Special Operations Community. Built on the chassis of the Geissele SSA, the SSA-E provides enhanced trigger control and weapon accuracy while maintaining the robustness and reliability of our combat-proven two-stage trigger. The SSA-E’s reduced 1st and 2nd stage pull weights result in a trigger with a smooth, light 1st stage take-up and a crisp, candy cane-like 2nd stage break.

The SSA-E is ideal for use in precision Squad Designated Marksman type rifles where weapon accuracy and reliability are critical and a non-adjustable drop in trigger is desired.

HJ857
May 15, 2011, 05:15 PM
I'll pitch in for the RRA match trigger as well. It's a good price too.

You may run into the Jewell trigger while you're researching, and these days I wouldn't recommend it, though it has some nice features. I wouldn't buy one again. There's other, better options these days.

HiBC
May 15, 2011, 05:44 PM
My two cents,RR is a great trigger at reasonable price.Gisselle enhanced is a step up.
I prefer the 2 stage for aimed fire.Margin of safety in the firststage,light,clean break second stage.The Gisselles are going to war with some very serious rifles.I think that addresses the reliability question.
While there are practical reasons to prefer the Gisselle over the Jewell,I think the finest trigger pull can be had with a Jewell.
Without reservation,I like the RR as a lower cost great trigger.The new hard chrome option is interesting.
I bought an RR that has been in 3 different rifles,currently in a rifle I built for son in law.He said he got a double fire out of it one time.I contacted RR about my options.RR said send it in,they would evaluate it and replace it if anything was wrong.Kudos,RR for standing behind your product.

jproaster
May 15, 2011, 08:50 PM
I'll probably go the RR route; I just arranged to p/up a Sig 230sl for a carry gun. So, I need to save a few bucks right now anyhow.

john

tirod
May 17, 2011, 10:27 AM
Since the range and target is hunting, an adjustable overtravel screw will do most of what you need to a standard LPK.

Properly installed and adjusted - just like the overtravel screws in MOST of the drop in triggers, you get minimal creep, which eliminates traveling over much of the grittiness. If you eliminate 60% of the dead slack, your trigger is 60% better.

It doesn't change the pull weight, on the AR15 that is the hammer spring, and lightening it isn't necessarily an improvement for field use. Light hammer strikes and target triggers only suitable for range use don't belong in the rough and tumble of hunting.

With an adjustable overtravel screw, you actually get one of the very desireable features of the better triggers - for up to $200 less. Spend that toward an optic, and the overall result is a lot more optimum for hunting.

Since the gun is biased toward hunting, choosing the caliber, barrel, upper, optic, furniture, and trigger, in that order, the priorities are settled, and expenses reduced to what is needed. Specifying the trigger without having the required accuracy from the barrel and ammo is putting the cart before the horse. A $250 trigger will not make a 2MOA milspec shooter suddenly improve to 1/2MOA, and the target won't notice the difference whatsoever. However, the wallet will be considerably lighter for not much more than a feel good return.

A 16" midlength in 6.8SPC, flattop upper, red dot, fixed stock, handguard, and setscrew trigger will do the job much better than an M4gery with $250 trigger and iron sights. Work down the list, shoot it, and when things get to where a microseconds difference in lock time makes or breaks a hunt, then get the best trigger out there.

There's a long way to go before then.

CPTMurdoc30
May 18, 2011, 09:09 AM
I will throw my hat in the RRA 2 stage trigger. Breaks clean like a glass rod. One of the best trigger for an AR in my book.

madcratebuilder
May 18, 2011, 09:49 AM
RRA and ArmaLite offer affordable two stage triggers, both are based on the Garand/M1A trigger system. The ArmaLite has an additional feature of being user adjustable with spring position.

ArmaLite two stage.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/AR10/NMTRIGGERSETlarge.jpg

Single stage or two stage is a matter of personal preference, a quality trigger in either design well be fine.

Hammer spring weight is just a small part of the trigger pull weight equation, sear angles and surface finish play a important role.

Blackops_2
May 18, 2011, 12:35 PM
I agree with techno on having the regular mil spec single stage if its for defense or plinking. If its for precision LMT, JP, KAC, RRA, and Geissle are all top quality precision 2 stage triggers.

jproaster
May 18, 2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks guys. I went mil spec single trigger for starters from Palmetto. I also went with a moe stock kit too. I'm gonna feel this thing out before spending more.

john

*now on to the next thing- uppers.