PDA

View Full Version : Editing problem?

Jbotto
May 9, 2011, 09:08 PM
How do you edit posts? I must be missing something, as I cannot see any edit, or advanced option button. Could someone help me?

Edit: Now I see this post has an edit button, but why do some of mine do not? I'd like to edit a earlier post of mine, but it won't let me.

Shane Tuttle
May 9, 2011, 09:13 PM
There's a time limit for regular members. Can't remember, but I think it's 4 days. That's probably the culprit...

Jbotto
May 9, 2011, 09:16 PM
OK, thanks for the quick response. I appreciate it. That's a strange thing I guess, as the other forums I frequent, don't have that setting. Thanks though. I understand it now.

Al Norris
May 9, 2011, 09:58 PM
One of the things that TFL has always been, is a resource data base. If we left it open for too long, people could edit/modify posts so much that the resulting threads would not make a lot of sense.

It was thought that 4 days was plenty of time to make any necessary corrections. And for the vast majority of cases, it has.

Good, Bad or Indifferent, that's the way it's been set up.

Jbotto
May 9, 2011, 10:08 PM
Makes sense from where I stand! Thanks!

Eagle Eye
May 11, 2011, 11:29 AM
I think it is a good idea to scroll down, preview post, and then edit post if needed before posting. That is probably the best time to gitterdun IMHO.

tyme
May 11, 2011, 03:16 PM
A fair number of forum/discussion type sites have recently adopted stricter time limits on editing, in the 5-minute-to-several-hour range.

Vanya
May 11, 2011, 06:21 PM
A fair number of forum/discussion type sites have recently adopted stricter time limits on editing, in the 5-minute-to-several-hour range.
Oh, please, noooo....

I just hate it when I come back the next day to a thread I've posted in, and I find a typo I missed. If I couldn't fix it... I'm way too OCD for that. :o

Mal H
May 11, 2011, 06:28 PM
Don't worry, we have no reason at present to shorten the edit window, but we don't plan to make it longer either.

Mike Irwin
May 11, 2011, 06:47 PM
I post on a couple of boards (non firearms) where you don't get a chance to edit your messages at all after you submit them.

Hawg Haggen
May 11, 2011, 07:20 PM
Why not allow deletions within a reasonable time frame?

Shane Tuttle
May 11, 2011, 07:25 PM
We do...

Hawg Haggen
May 12, 2011, 04:13 PM
Then enlighten me please. The best I can do is erase the post and put deleted in it's place.

Eagle Eye
May 12, 2011, 04:18 PM
Hawg:

You should be able to edit your post. I forget the time limit, but it is at least several hours and may be more than a day.

I will edit this one to check functionality.

just tried an immediate edit prior to posting. Click on preview post. Make your changes in the field below your preview, and then click submit reply.

Then click on edit in the lower right corner of your posted reply. Make your changes. Then either click on save changes or click on preview changes and make further edits.

Finally click on save changes.

I just did all of the above and it works.

When the edit link no longer appears on your posted reply, then it is no longer possible. The best you can do is make another post and refer to your previous one. If the thread is lengthy, you might state the number of the post to which you are referring.

Hope this helps.

Eagle Eye

Hawg Haggen
May 12, 2011, 04:36 PM
I can edit it just fine. What I cant do is delete one.

Vanya
May 12, 2011, 04:44 PM
The conventional method for deleting a post on TFL seems to be to cut all of the text, replacing it with "deleted." But you can't make the whole post disappear, as far as I can tell.

The evidence of your presence will linger.... :cool:

Mike Irwin
May 12, 2011, 04:45 PM
Nope, you can't. I've seen some VERY ugly things happen on boards where members can delete their posts.

Only staff can delete posts once they are made.

If you need a post deleted, contact a member of staff.

Eagle Eye
May 12, 2011, 05:01 PM
Hawg:

There you go. Just plug in the word deleted, brain flatulation, or whatever. But do so within the edit period.

Hawg Haggen
May 12, 2011, 08:38 PM
Hawg:

There you go. Just plug in the word deleted, brain flatulation, or whatever. But do so within the edit period.

I think I already said that.:D

Then enlighten me please. The best I can do is erase the post and put deleted in it's place.

Shane Tuttle
May 13, 2011, 01:50 PM

My apologies for being inconsiderate, Haggen. I saw your post but completely forgot to reply.

Don't do this procedure. As Mike stated, hollar at one of us and we'll take care of the deletions if deemed necessary.
Fair enough?

Hawg Haggen
May 13, 2011, 06:07 PM
Fair enough but usually when I want to delete something it's because I got my wires crossed and posted erroneous information. I am prone to do that sometimes. Even tho I do know it all I just can't remember it all at once.:D

Eagle Eye
May 13, 2011, 06:11 PM
OOPS! I was not being sarcastic. I really thought it was acceptable to delete and post a message as I suggested. I see this often and presumed it was the routine.

I am never too old to learn.

Mal H
May 13, 2011, 08:51 PM
I don't think Shane meant it wasn't acceptable to delete a post in the manner described, just that there is a better way to do it completely.

We don't get upset if we see "deleted" posts. I will usually just go ahead and completely delete them when I spot them.

Mike Irwin
May 13, 2011, 08:57 PM
Unfortunately, not everyone sees it that way, Hawg.

More than once I've seen people get into a snit and proceed to delete dozens, if not hundreds, of their posts, destroying the continuity of threads in the process.

Mal H
May 13, 2011, 09:18 PM
Right, that's a whole different matter, and we do get upset when we see that done. That's more like going into a "I'm taking my ball and going home" rant.

But, isolated deletions due to mistakes or double taps are no big deal.

Shane Tuttle
May 13, 2011, 09:30 PM
Mal and Mike further clarified my statement, Eagle Eye. Not a rule violaiton. Just best for us to clean it up on the admin side to satisfy our OCD...:)

Eagle Eye
May 14, 2011, 06:55 AM
Thanks Shane.

And I like your quote about got. My old HS English teacher would shout out, "Gotten?" every time he heard or read that word. I never forgot and cringe when I see or hear it. Similarly, "A preposition is a bad thing to end a sentence with!"

Off the subject, I know, but could not resist.

Vanya
May 14, 2011, 11:20 AM
Since Eagle Eye brought it up... I admit, Shane, I've been bemused by your signature line.

If "got" were deleted from the English language, what would poor little "get" do for a past tense? :(

tyme
May 14, 2011, 01:05 PM
I getted it yesterday.

Mal H
May 14, 2011, 04:04 PM
You guys have gotten to be kidding!

What's wrong with the word "got" when used properly?

Eagle Eye
May 14, 2011, 04:41 PM
It must have GOTTEN to be time to shut this thread DOWN. It did not GETTED any better. I have GOT to think there are more productive threads. GETTEN it? :rolleyes: