PDA

View Full Version : mini 14 ammo question

justjim75
May 6, 2011, 07:22 PM
my mini 14 tactical has a 1:9 rh twist and a 16.12 " barrel. normally i shoot cheap steel cased 55 grain .223 from academy (monarch brand i think) at the range for practice/plinking. if i were to step it up and try for a best ammo for SD/HD/SHTF/best accuracy, what weight of bullet is supposed to be best? i understand that all guns like different things but i've read enough lately that i know theretically there are some better than others. if it makes a difference, i added a muzzle brake to the end of the barrel. the gun is set up for combat closer than 75 yards but i regularly shoot 2" groups at 100 yrds with 55 grain brass. my question is: what should be the best brand, bullet type, and size for my mini? .223 or 5.56 and i won't be hunting with it.

Marco Califo
May 6, 2011, 07:55 PM
You should be able to shoot pretty much all bullet types and weights. The only ones you may not get to spin enough to stabilize are 80 gr SMK, and those are VERY heavy 223 bullets which may not fit in your mag anyway. 1:9 is a very good twist rate to have: not too fast, not too slow.

Art Eatman
May 6, 2011, 08:36 PM
I've always run most any kind of halfway decent 55-grain soft-points through my Minis. Tested on coyotes and jackrabbit, just fine.

justjim75
May 7, 2011, 12:13 AM
so what then, a 60sumthin grn hollowpoint in .223 for in the house? or is 5.56 "safe" also? i know the nato round is hotter but not how much. the penetration tests i've seen for interior residential type walls lead me to think that 5.56 might be too powerful for home defense. any brand recs? i use hornady in my .45 acp, .38spcl, and .308 deer rifle. do they make anything exciting? not for indoors, but i've talked to my dad about splitting a big order of "penetrators" but i dont know why i'd need them.

bamaranger
May 7, 2011, 12:49 AM
The 55 and 62 gr BONDED SP's from Federal are highly touted as ideal LE loads. A good bit "harder" than typical SP for varmints, yet not as penetration prone as FMJ. Bamaboy killed a few whitetails with each and performance in deer critter was ideal.

zombieslayer
May 7, 2011, 07:46 AM
Where I live, over-penetration isn't as issue. My Mini 14 Tac is loaded with a 20rd mag of Federal 62gr "penetrators". My bedside handgun is my CZ52. I guess I prefer to over-penetrate than under.
For general shooting, I have a few thousand rounds of federal 55gr I've been shooting and io get 2-3" groups at a hundred with the bulk stuff, so I'm happy.

Art Eatman
May 7, 2011, 07:56 AM
Any bullet you use will go through an interior wall. And the Mini's chamber is suitable for the military ammo; I ran a bunch of Fort Hood "surplus" (nice to have GI friends) through mine. I like the soft-points because they will expand in the wall board if you miss, and there is a large amount of energy loss when passing through. Reduced danger on the far side, in the event of some Bad Thing.

As far as the penetration thing, a certain amount of planning ahead about tactics will allow "no shoot" lanes which you would avoid.

Basically, most any old gun and cartridge will do, inside the home. The deal is to figure out the probabilities and work out your tactics ahead of any problem.

Bamashooter
May 10, 2011, 10:34 PM
I load 60gr. sierra varmiters and 65gr. sierra gamekings and the mini shoots them both very well. My best group of 1.2'' was with 60gr. varmiters. I have killed deer with the 65gr. gamekings. I keep a magazine loaded with 60gr. varmiters for home defense use becouse it will fragment and be less likely to cause collateral damage.

justjim75
May 11, 2011, 12:20 AM
bamaranger, bamaboy, and bamashooter? where are you guys? i live in montgomery, alabama.

Bamashooter
May 11, 2011, 04:29 AM
I live in cullman. The tornado magnet.

justjim75
May 11, 2011, 08:58 AM
well i hope you and yours made it through ok. if you need anything at all i am a member of a church with a lot of resources and can head north to help if need be.

Bamashooter
May 11, 2011, 03:45 PM
My neighborhood was spared thank GOD. Our church has so much stuff from good folks like yourself we couldnt have class last sunday. There are alot of people from out of town working to get this place back on an even keel, but it will never be the same. I am touched by the amount of help we have recieved and very proud to be an alabamian becouse of the way the people here have come together to help one another. Regardless of whether they prefer mini's or AR's. :)