PDA

View Full Version : Sig P220 Classic 22,,, does anyone own one?,,,

aarondhgraham
May 5, 2011, 04:17 PM
Yesterday evening a friend of mine and I were having conversation over a few beers,,,
Talk drifted to guns and he mentioned he wanted to buy a pistol,,,
"What would you recommend I get?" he asked me.

He really doesn't know much about guns except which end to point at the bad guy,,,
He did say he would like to get a .45 ACP because that's what his dad had,,,
I start mentioning ammo costs, mag capacity, etc, but he likes .45,,,
I also mention practice expense and all that but he doesn't care.

He has heard me talk about owning .22 rimfire/centerfire pairs and he likes that idea quite a bit,,,
He agrees with me that practice with inexpensive .22 ammo is a definite advantage,,,
But I don't know of a high quality .22 pistol that matches any .45 pistol out there.

He has fired my CZ-75B in 9mm and liked it,,,
But he is adamant about wanting a pistol in .45 ACP

Now my friend is a pharmacist so he's not hurting in the budget category,,,
He did state that he wanted to get a good quality gun right off,,,
Then I got to thinking about the Sig Classic 22 models.

In these guns it is kind of backwards,,,
You buy the P220 Classic 22,,,
Then the P220 .45 ACP kit.

There can be no argument that Sig Sauer isn't top tier in quality,,,
I would really have no qualms about recommending a Sig sight unseen,,,
But I would be very interested in reading any comments from you folk who have owned or shot a Sig Classic 22.

Any takers?

Aarond

jaymce
May 5, 2011, 05:39 PM
P220 in 45ACP then conversion kit to .22. Done.

Finally got the .22 conversion and put a few hundred rounds down range. Works great.

Microgunner
May 5, 2011, 05:51 PM
It's much cheaper to buy the P220 Classic 22 THEN buy the .45ACP X-Change kit.
I own the P226 Classic 22 and it's ok. The slide just doesn't live up to the quality of the frame. I've added a 9mm X-Change kit, .357SIG X-Change kit and .40S&W barrel to mine so it now fires (4) different calibers.

aarondhgraham
May 6, 2011, 09:23 AM
It's much cheaper to buy the P220 Classic 22 THEN buy the .45ACP X-Change kit.

No Kidding!

Sig P220 22 Classic - $626.00 plus Centerfire Exchange Kit = $356.00,,,
Total = $982.00

Sig P220 = $993.00 plus Rimfire Conversion Kit = $285.00,,,
Total = $1,278.00

These are list prices from Sig's website,,,
The actual purchase price should be a bit less.

My question to you would be,,,
What is it about the P220 Classic 22 slide that you don't like?

I read that it's machined from a solid block of aluminum,,,
Is there something flimsy about it?

Would you sill recommend this as a good option for my friend?

Thanks Microgunner,,,

Aarond

insolentshrew
May 6, 2011, 10:02 AM
Realistic pricing of a 220 is going to be more like 600-700, not just shy of $1000. Can probably find a good quality used one for cheaper. I am not sure if there are frame differences for a p220 and the classic 22 version, but I would be sure to research it. If it were me I would be the 220 and the 22 conversion kit.

For reference though, my brother got a 22 conversion kit for his 220 and it has worked flawlessly (but the mags are on the cheap side). So for the platform, it is solid/reliable.

Microgunner
May 6, 2011, 10:04 AM
My question to you would be,,,
What is it about the P220 Classic 22 slide that you don't like?

The finish on the 22lr slide sucks, not even in the same hemisphere as the German built frame. All modeled, splotchy and a different color from the frame. The construction though is just fine.

The centerfire X-Change kit slide's finish is just fine, exactly what you get if you purchased a centerfire SIG from the get go, and the centerfire slides all come with night sights.

Here is the .22lr slide mounted. Note the vastly different color.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e229/Microgunner/SIGP226002.jpg

insolentshrew
May 6, 2011, 10:06 AM
and the centerfire slides all come with night sights.

That is not accurate.

Microgunner
May 6, 2011, 10:09 AM
I purchased two X-Change kits for my P226 and they both came with night sights. No option was offered without night sights.

insolentshrew
May 6, 2011, 10:10 AM
My brother's 220 xchange kit has contrast sites.

edit: I'm not an expert on the xchange kits, so I am not sure if he has one that has been in stock for a while and the new standard is only with night sites, but his were contrast. To be honest, I didn't know that they offered xchange kits with night sights. I thought contrast was standard and no option was given for night sights.

Microgunner
May 6, 2011, 10:12 AM
Maybe there's a difference between the sights offered for the P226 & P220?

insolentshrew
May 6, 2011, 10:13 AM
Not sure, where did you get yours from? My brother got his from a local gun shop but I am not sure how long it was sitting on the shelf.

insolentshrew
May 6, 2011, 10:16 AM
I just looked at some on some vendor sites, and his came with fixed contrast sites. I found one on cheaper than dirt that advertises adjustable contrast target sights. Apparently there is multiple offerings on sight options on some of the xchange kits. Your guess is good as mine as to what is offered on the most current ones if you got it straight from sig, or if you are given any options...

Microgunner
May 6, 2011, 10:18 AM
I am not sure if there are frame differences for a p220 and the classic 22 version, but I would be sure to research it.

The frames are absolutly identical between the two and both built in Germany.

Microgunner
May 6, 2011, 10:20 AM
Not sure, where did you get yours from? My brother got his from a local gun shop but I am not sure how long it was sitting on the shelf.

I'm an FFL dealer and ordered them from Ellett Brothers Wholesale. Ellett Brothers sells only to licensed dealers.

Microgunner
May 6, 2011, 10:23 AM
This is an exerpt from Ellett Brothers web sight. Note it lists the P220 .45ACP X-Change kit as having night sights.

SIG SAUER ®
X-CHANGE ™ KIT - P220 MODELS
• Complete replacement assembly for caliber conversion per specified model as listed • Kit features slide assemly, barrel, recoil system, SIGLITE Night Sights, one magazine & hard carry case
CONVERT TO: .45 ACP

aarondhgraham
May 6, 2011, 10:25 AM
Is to buy both pistols,,,
The P220 22 Classic and the P220 whatever version.

When I got my 2 CZ pistols I seriously debated whether to buy the Kadet Adapter Kit or the Kadet pistol,,,
I just knew I would be too lazy to bother switching back and forth at the range,,,
The complete Kadet pistol was only $225 more than the kit alone,,,
I decided to splurge and eliminate the hassle of a kit.

Definitely worth the extra bucks to me.

I do know of an LGS that had a P220 Classic 22 in stock,,,
At least they had the handgun in stock 3 weeks ago,,,
I should go there and eyeball the slide myself.

Thanks gentlemen,,,
You're helping me a lot.

Aarond

insolentshrew
May 6, 2011, 10:26 AM
Ok, that may be the difference. I thought you were talking about the 22 xchange kits, for the convert to 45 it is possible they only offer the night sights.

Microgunner
May 6, 2011, 10:29 AM
Yeah, my .22lr slide came with adjustable target sights.