PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy Style Revolvers

BarryLee
April 28, 2011, 06:37 PM
Ok, forgive me I am not super knowledgeable in this area, so some of my terminology may be wrong. I would like to get a “Cowboy” style gun for casual range use. I am considering the Ruger Vaquero or something similar in price. I would also like it to be chambered in a caliber that is fairly easy to find and reasonably priced.

So, what other brands should I consider?

What calibers should I consider?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks

Jim March
April 28, 2011, 08:16 PM
Start with my comments here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/gxz11/wanted_reliable_yet_affordable_western_style_six/

:)

Glenn Dee
April 28, 2011, 09:03 PM
^5 x 100 on the Ruger Vaquero. A warning though... they can be addicting. Personally I like the .45 lc.

357 Python
April 28, 2011, 09:11 PM
I don't have a New Vaquero but I do have an original Vaquero in 44 Magnum. I agree with Jim you can not go wrong with a Ruger in 357 Magnum. The Ruger models to look for are the original Vaquero, New Vaquero, and Blackhawk; all can be had in 357 Magnum. With the 357 Magnum you in essence get 2 guns because it will also accept 38 Special ammo. Don't worry about calling them "Cowboy" style guns instead of single action revolvers. Most of us called them Cowboy guns long before we started calling them single actions. Try as many as you can before you buy. You should be able to find one you enjoy fairly easily.

Jim March
April 28, 2011, 09:49 PM
The NewVaq357 is a better gun than the OldVaq357. There, I said it. Go to that link for details :).

Jim Watson
April 28, 2011, 10:28 PM
Ruger Single Six.
.22 LR is the most available, most affordable cartridge going.
And you can get one with a .22 Magnum cylinder and make more noise when you want to.

jmortimer
April 28, 2011, 10:33 PM
I've owned both new and old Vaqueros and the new ones are perfect - well as perfect as any gun this side of a Freedom Arms single action.

Magnum Wheel Man
April 29, 2011, 08:58 AM
yep single six in 22 lr ( you can get the combo guns that come with an extra cylinder that also shoots the 22 magnum cartridge... or the 357 Mag Vaquero ( I'm partial to the Montado version with the more relaxed "super blackhawk style hammer" ) but theres nothing wrong with the regular Vaqueros... the 357 mag guns also shoot 38 specials nicely for more pleasant range shooting

Andy Taylor
April 29, 2011, 09:35 AM
Sounds like you want a Vaquero in .357 magnum, or a Single-Six in .22.

Other calibers are nice, but those two will be the easiest, and cheapest, to find ammo for. The .357 will be more versatile, but the .22 will be the cheapest to shoot and have the least recoil.

Jim March
April 29, 2011, 09:40 AM
Ruger has done a few variations on the NewVaq with the "Montado hammer" which is just the SuperBlackhawk hammer with a different thumb-pad checkering pattern. Otherwise the reach, shape and width are the same as the SBH hammer.

The Montados have 3.75" barrels. There's also the "SASS Special" NewVaqs sold in pairs with 4.68" barrels and the lower hammer.

When I scored my NewVaq357 in 2005, grafting an SBH hammer on it was the first mod I did. Mainly because I'm a "strong-side thumber" as opposed to an "off-hand-cocker"...one hand or two, I use my strongside thumb to cock it.

PROBLEM THOUGH: SASS rules just changed to legalize the use of the SBH-type hammer, so everybody and his cousin is out looking for 'em. They're regularly backordered at Brownell's, Midway and other usual sources :(.

jmortimer
April 29, 2011, 09:45 AM
My Ruger Montado is my all time favorite gun.

Magnum Wheel Man
April 29, 2011, 10:05 AM
Montado's... love em... have an early matched pair with consecutive sereals ( before they were selling consecutive pairs... lucked out... local dealer had 6-8 of them, & the 1st two I picked up had consecutive numbers )... bought another reciently, that I added a stainless Ruger birdshead grip, & cut the barrel to a snubbie... really like that custom...

mine are all 45 Colt... but I recommend the 357 for the OP...

EdInk
April 29, 2011, 11:02 AM
Stop looking for better cowboy revolver. You already found the Ruger New Vaquero. I like my .357 Stainless the best. Also, I prefer the slightly under 5" barrel. Good luck.

Uncle Buck
April 29, 2011, 12:44 PM
.357 is the way to go if you do not reload.

temmi
April 29, 2011, 04:04 PM
Ruger in 45 Colt, if you reload.

Ruger in 357 if you donot

BarryLee
April 29, 2011, 04:32 PM
Thanks all. I am not sure, but it sounds like we might actually have a consensus here.

Just curious if anyone has holster recomendations for a Vaquero?

hogcowboy
April 29, 2011, 04:48 PM
I would look at El Paso Saddlery http://www.epsaddlery.com/ .

FlyFish
April 29, 2011, 05:14 PM
I have three [original] Bisley Vaqueros in .45 Colt that I use for Cowboy Action Shooting. I love them, but I think I'd love New Vaqueros even more. As others have said, .45 Colt if you reload, .357 Mag if you don't. My leather is from Kirkpatrick (http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/) and I've been very satisfied with it, but there are a number of quality makers out there.

Crunchy Frog
April 29, 2011, 06:39 PM
OK first I'll chime in on the Ruger New Vaquero. I have a pair of the SASS Edition .357s and they are superb. Apart from a rimfire the .38/.37 is the cheapest to feed whether you handload or not.

If I wanted a single action to use for anything other than cowboy action matches (where all revolvers are loaded with five rounds and you don't carry loaded guns around all day) I would recommend a gun with a transfer bar ignition. Of currently produced guns that includes Ruger, Beretta, Heritage (parts by Pietta) and the EAA Bounty Hunter. May be one or two I forgot.

Here is a great deal available at present. A dealer on GunBroker has the matte-blue finished, brass grip framed Uberti Hombre in .45 Colt, 4.75 inch barrel on sale for $250 each. You can get two good revolvers for the price of one pretty one.

We use two revolvers in SASS matches so this makes sense. Of course, it's not a Ruger, it has old Colt style sights and it is a .45 Colt. The latter can be a benefit or a drawback depending on your point of view.

I read the other article and mostly agree with it with one exception. Adjustable sighted revolvers are now allowed in almost all SASS categories. The New Vaquero-sized Ruger "flattop" Blackhawks are very nice guns and (to me) the adjustable sights are easier to acquire, plus they're adjustable.

Have fun.

James K
April 29, 2011, 06:53 PM
For a fun gun, I vote for the Single Six. Inexpensive shooting without getting into reloading, plus low noise and recoil. True it is not a "real" cowboy gun, but then neither is the .357 Magnum, which would cost a lot more to shoot.

Jim

waymore
April 29, 2011, 07:46 PM
Ruger New Vaquero. Tons of fun and look great in your collection.

tazbigdog
April 29, 2011, 08:26 PM
Won a gun raffle, traded up to the Ruger New Vaquero .45LC abd then needed another, so I bought one from CDNN Sports online for $399. This is too damn addicting! Also bought a Marlin Cowboy .45LC lever action rifle from Cabela's (opening a credit card with them, spend 500, get 100 back). I know, it's crazy! Gun belt and holster from Texas Jack (http://texasjacks.com/)in Frederickburg, TX.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e175/tazbigdog/IMG_2077.jpg

Eghad
April 29, 2011, 08:34 PM
I bought a pair of Stainless Steel Ruger New Vaqueros for SASS Competition. The only thing I wished I had done was get them in .357 so I could shoot a .38 which is cheaper since I do not reload anymore. The only thing that would make them better is a lower hammer. Those are available as after market additions in the Brownells catalog. I saw that Montado version :( makes me sad I dont have a pair of those.

For the cheapest shooting nothing wrong with a .22 cal to get started.

I have a Kimber 1911 .22 conversion kit I purchased but had never used. Now I use it because of ammo cost :)

I did not have a lot of money to spend on gun leater so I used these guys for a starter rig.

https://www.oklahomaleatherproducts.com/Merchant4/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=OLP&Category_Code=H

Jim March
April 29, 2011, 08:46 PM
Barry? "Vaquero" and "New Vaquero" are two very different things.

Read the link I posted.

BarryLee
April 29, 2011, 10:43 PM
Barry? "Vaquero" and "New Vaquero" are two very different things.

Ok, my understanding is that the pistol that Ruger has on their WEB site and calls the Vaquero is the New Vaquero and the Old Vaquero is a discontented model referenced in your article. Right?

rep1954
April 29, 2011, 11:04 PM
I've been shooting my 22LR cowboy style Single Sixes quite a bit lately.With the two cylinders I shoot 22LR, 22WRF, and 22Mag. Been doing it for the fun but the cost savings is a nice addition. All my centerfire cowboy guns are Colt SAA's a little out of the price range you indicated and I dont own a Ruger New Vaquero but I do own some of the new mid frame Blachawks and there great guns. If I didnt have all the bases already covered with the Colts I would pick up the New Vaquero's in a heart beat. I'd get the 357 and shoot 38 Spl's easy on the ears, pocket, and accurate to boot.

Jim March
April 30, 2011, 12:20 AM
Barry: yeah. The "Old Vaquero" was oversize, and of lower quality than the NewVaq.

In 44Mag and 45LC, you could use the extra strength of the OldVaq to shoot stronger loads. In 357 it doesn't matter - yeah, there's a strength difference but both are strong enough for large diets of the most potent ammo possible.

10 Beers
April 30, 2011, 11:14 AM
So what you're saying Jim is get something like this, in perfect condition, in 45LC for like $350.:o

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x122/HoldinMcGroin/DSC00360.jpg

If I'm buying the first gun of a particular type or what I think might be the only one of that type for the collection I look for the what I call the "Representitive Sample". This is usually the most common model like the tapered barrel Ruger MKII (not the Bull barrel or 1911 grip) or the 6" Blued Python (not the snubby or 8" Hunter) or the A2HBAR (not the trendy A4) or the full size wood stocked AK (then the Drako). Varients come later.

yournodaisy
April 30, 2011, 09:21 PM
AS far as gunleather..WMBrown of Tombstone Arizona....youll never look back

gak
May 3, 2011, 12:05 AM
+1 for the New Vaquero .357. If your eyes can do ok with a shorter barrel's sight picture, I'd suggest the 4-5/8" barrel. The .357 in any barrel is no lightweight to begin with--what with the small-ish holes, specifically the longer the more barrel heavy, naturally,...so, the shorter the better to mitigate some of that aspect. Btw, if not mentioned, the "Montado" IS a New Vaquero with a special (even shorter) barrel, the aforementioned hammer and--on some examples--unique front strap grooves. And...don't look for the "Montado" moniker anywhere on the gun, it's strictly a marketing name Ruger uses. I've got one of these and love it.

Possible negatives. Many don't care for the black "hard rubber" grips standard on the (non Bisley) New Vaqueros (and plowhandled flat top models)--due to their slimness and/or aggressively sharp checkering. Ditto some don't care for the height and swept-back nature of the hammer (of the non Montado standard NV model). If you are one of those, "don't blame the gun!" - and let these aspects keep you from a fine gun. The grips are easily changeable to reasonably-priced custom--which many do anyway. And, as others have mentioned, a Montado or SBH hammer is a virtual drop-in. IIRC, so is a standard BH hammer like the recent flat top models (same frame as the NV) have--which has a more modest profile than the stock NV's.
Enjoy!

Leejack
May 3, 2011, 07:00 AM
Ruger SA's are too cool for words!

Highly addictive! ;)

P97
May 3, 2011, 07:10 AM
Ok, forgive me I am not super knowledgeable in this area, so some of my terminology may be wrong. I would like to get a “Cowboy” style gun for casual range use. I am considering the Ruger Vaquero or something similar in price. I would also like it to be chambered in a caliber that is fairly easy to find and reasonably priced.

So, what other brands should I consider?

What calibers should I consider?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks I don't think you can go wrong with the New Vaquero, for a Cowboy Gun.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/P97/Vaquero2.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/P97/VaqueroandHolster.jpg

BarryLee
May 3, 2011, 12:42 PM
P97

That is a very nice set up you have there. If you don’t mind could you provide some specifics?

Did you buy it with the engraving?

What caliber?

Who made the holster?

Thanks

FlyFish
May 3, 2011, 01:52 PM
P97 - Wow! I'm generally not a big fan of engraved guns, but I sure do like that one!

Model-P
May 3, 2011, 10:02 PM
Hey, I was in love with her first! (After P97, that is)

P97
May 4, 2011, 07:42 AM
P97

That is a very nice set up you have there. If you don’t mind could you provide some specifics?

Did you buy it with the engraving?

What caliber?

Who made the holster?
Orval Mahan engraved it.
Its a 45Colt.
Bought the holster at a Pawn Shop. Unknown maker.
Grips by Patrick Grashorn

Thanks for the Compliments.

Leejack
May 4, 2011, 07:58 AM
Hey, I was in love with her first!

I beat you to it a long time ago! LOL!

Wait till you see his P90! ;)

P97, best wishes to your family my friend!

Lee

P97
May 4, 2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks Lee! I'm one of the odd ones. I enjoy Guns. They are more to me than a Tool, that lots of people refer to. To me, a Gun is something to enjoy. I enjoy Shooting mine, enjoy looking a them, enjoy the dependability of them, enjoy accuracy of them. I guess it all started when I was a kid. I'd get an old Car and I wasn't happy until I'd added Fender Skirts, fancy Hubcaps, Loud Mufflers, Shaved the Heads, and etc. I'm that way with Guns. I like personalizing and customizing them. :)

10 Beers
May 14, 2011, 11:17 AM
Looks like your ready to make a cowboy movie with that rig.

Rifleman1776
May 14, 2011, 01:25 PM
Nobdy mentioned guns made by Cimmaron.
They enney good?

Are there matches in CAS for .22lr ?

Jim March
May 14, 2011, 06:45 PM
There's no such thing as a gun made by Cimarron.

They're an import house. Mostly Uberti, some Armi Chiappa (Plinkerton), possibly others.

They have at least one of their own people embedded in Uberti's factory in Italy, doing quality control on Uberti guns headed stateside to Uberti. Probably saves 'em a lot in not shipping "rejects" back across the puddle.

They also do stateside-based customer service for their customers so you do gain by buying Cimarrons instead of generic Ubertis. But they're basically the same guns. Recent Ubertis are pretty good overall - the wheelguns lack safeties and need to be carried hammer-on-empty. They're not as strong, reliable or accurate as a Ruger but they're not that far behind. They look better than Rugers, usually, and are more historically accurate.

Personally, I'd rather have a Ruger.

SRH78
May 15, 2011, 09:51 PM
I would suggest a Ruger Blackhawk in 357. The Blackhawk, unlike the Vaquero has adjustable sights.

triumph666
May 15, 2011, 10:16 PM
try Uberti in a 357magnum or a 45 long colt...they are sweet "Cowboy Style" guns and are very high quality and function flawlessly...they are a colt 1873 clone but of higher quality than the originals...i fire the modern magnum loads out of mine for the 45lc but i dont know if they reccommend it....modern clones are made to higher tolerances and with better steel than when colt was making them to shoot blackpowder loads in the 1800's

publius
May 15, 2011, 10:20 PM
Hard to beat a Vaquero in .357 and feed it .38 spl's for a range gun. The Uberti is sweet too.

Model-P
May 16, 2011, 09:52 PM
try Uberti in a 357magnum or a 45 long colt...they are sweet "Cowboy Style" guns and are very high quality and function flawlessly...they are a colt 1873 clone but of higher quality than the originals...

Better steel, yes, but certainly not higher quality overall!