PDA

View Full Version : Considering AR-15's

DBLAction454
April 28, 2011, 03:20 PM
What are some good AR-15 manufactures to look at when one wantas to purchase a high quality AR?

I know Wilson Combat makes some that start at about 2k and Colt's are always expensive but any other good quality companies?

Or is it a waste and should I just buy a Rock River Arms for $1000 and be happy.

P.S. Not a fan of DPMS at all

PRONE2
April 28, 2011, 03:39 PM
This comes up at least a few times per month to say the least. If you search this forum you will find hundreds of post on this same topic. Most of them have the same info you are looking for, and it might be a faster way to find out the info you want. Not trying to flame you, just thought it might help.

Cjohnson
April 28, 2011, 04:04 PM
Whenever I answer this question I always say "build." You can build peice by peice and wind up with a fully customized AR 15 with high quality aftermarket parts. This also alows you to have an expensive gun for a low price. I would venture to say that for less than 1000 dollars you can own an AR that would retail almost twice that. Not to mention IMO it's just plain fun.

1/2John
April 28, 2011, 04:18 PM
I agree w/ prone, try using the search key, not slamming you. However, I've been to a couple of shows where I've seen Colts for the same price as Bushmaster, Stag, and some of the other brands. Keep an eye out, and maybe you'll get lucky.

jackblack73
April 28, 2011, 05:44 PM
In no particular order: Noveske, Knights Armament, Bravo Company, LMT, Colt, Daniel Defense.

Quentin2
April 28, 2011, 06:00 PM
+1

Hard to argue with jackblack's picks! :D

glock20c
April 28, 2011, 06:44 PM
bushmaster here...no issue's!! build 1(as said above) and save probably $400.00 then put a eotech on it!!

Technosavant
April 28, 2011, 06:44 PM
What is your purpose for the gun?

If defense (you DID say high quality), then you're better off spending a bit more for a nicer gun. IMO, I doubt you'd ever find anything wrong with a Rock River, but $1K for a RRA is at least $100 too high. You should be able to find a Colt for not much more, and you'd also be well within range of building a high quality rifle once you hit the kilobuck range (lower + LPK + stock kit + BCM upper, BCG, handguard, and sights will be right at $1000).

You should be able to find a complete quality rifle for no more than $1200-1300, but you may need to order it.

precision_shooter
April 28, 2011, 07:46 PM
I doubt you'd ever find anything wrong with a Rock River, but $1K for a RRA is at least $100 too high.

Not quite true...If he is talking about one of the Operator series rifles like I purchased a few months ago, then it's well worth $1,000. All of the upgrades you get make the rifle easily worth $1,400...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64301&d=1289007265

That'll Do
April 28, 2011, 09:09 PM
In no particular order: Noveske, Knights Armament, Bravo Company, LMT, Colt, Daniel Defense.

That pretty much covers all the "top tier" brands. I own a Colt, Bravo Company, and Daniel Defense, and I can't tell the difference between the three.
Anything in that group of guns will be excellent.

I don't believe in ragging on brands that aren't in that group, some people don't feel they have a need for top tier stuff. No problem with that, to each his own. Just don't start the "my $700 Brand X gun is just as good as your $1100 Brand Y". The guns may look the same, but you might as well compare apples to oranges.

"The Chart" has caused lots of grief for some folks, but I like it, as it shows you what to look for in a true quality gun. Here's a link to it: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsEuEhjFwPrgTA&single=true&gid=5&output=html

The Chart currently does not have the comparison chart of ARs at the moment, as the author is compiling an updated version. But that isn't terribly important, as knowing what to look for (certain features/specifications) is all you really need to become an informed consumer.

dsa1115
April 28, 2011, 09:46 PM
My RRA has been solid. If you want something a little more custom, checkout the LaRue Tactical Predatar.

lmccrock
April 29, 2011, 08:03 AM
Quality? LaRue, or JP. Also among the most expensive.

tirod
April 29, 2011, 10:31 AM
Whenever I see the question, I ask "What's it for?" Not every maker has what you want, asking about the brand is the LAST thing to decide.

5.56 isn't legal in some states for hunting, some are AWB still, and then some makers just don't offer what you think you need. Brands are a lousy first criteria when you can't buy a Colt in 6.5G.

First - what's it for? Choose the best caliber and barrel length to do that. Then what upper - a carry handle A1 is hard to mount optics on, maybe the A3 is what you need. What optic matches the task next, then the furniture, and last the trigger.

Sort that out, the makers on the short list offer what you need. Not "Which is good?" That means "I don't have any idea what I want except a rollmark to impress myself."

Don't ask Brand, ask about what features you need to do a particular kind of shooting. Leave Brand out of it, that's just marketing. Most of the parts come from just a few sources, how any one maker puts them together for that purpose is what counts. If what you want is a plinker M4gery, the CMMG Bargain Bin for $599 will get you more "bang for your buck" than some $1500 ego label. The $1000 worth of ammo you could then shoot would make you a much better gunner than a high dollar closet queen.

If your actually serious about shooting, it's not the tool, it's about acquiring skill.

Skadoosh
April 29, 2011, 10:42 AM
Look for Wildalaska here on TFL...pretty sure he may have a Colt or two for just about $1K.

curmudgeon1
April 29, 2011, 03:15 PM
Try to avoid ending up with 2 or 3 of the low-to-mid-range guns; spend a few more bucks and get a Colt right out of the gate, you'll be much more satisfied with the end result.

That'll Do
April 29, 2011, 05:08 PM
If your actually serious about shooting, it's not the tool, it's about acquiring skill.

I disagree.

I worked as an auto mechanic for about 5 years, and there is most certainly a difference when it comes to tools. That applies to ARs as well. If you're serious about what you do, you buy professional grade tools.

RedNeckWino
April 29, 2011, 06:57 PM
Don't forget to visit some of the local gun or pawn shops. I have bought many rifles and hand guns for way less money. Just make sure you know what you are looking at as far as parts and state of repair when going this route. I do keep a bore scope and magnifier lens in my car just in case. I also know of three AR's for sale by auto mechanics that took them in as payment for work. Very good deals can be made here.