PDA

View Full Version : .22 Colt Challenger grip and trigger assembly


thoughtcrime
April 28, 2011, 02:14 PM
Hello,

I've been trying to figure out the best way to go about removing the grips on my .22 colt challenger for a thorough cleaning. This is the first time it's been taken apart since my grandfather had it. The main issue I'm having is, the screw threads are stripped and turn in place.

How would one remove these screws for replacement without damaging the plastic grips?

Here is a link to two pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62343872@N08/


Thanks

James K
April 28, 2011, 03:19 PM
I think it is almost a sure bet that the screw threads are not stripped, but that the stock screw nut on the opposite side is turning. Usually those nuts can be held in place with a small screwdriver while the screw is turned. Then you will probably have to epoxy the nut in place so it won't turn.

Jim

thoughtcrime
April 28, 2011, 10:19 PM
Ah, thanks Jim!

I didn't even notice that before :o.

I've got everything stripped off now, but I'm having a little bit of a situation again. I took apart the trigger assembly too fast and didn't notice how the torsion spring was seated.

Video: http://www.flickr.com/photos/62343872@N08/5667468805/

I like taking things apart, but putting them back together always gives me trouble :D.

thoughtcrime
April 28, 2011, 11:02 PM
Figured it out...that spring is kinda tricky.

So I push the main spring housing back in after putting in the sear spring (hammer is up), and every single time either A) the spring&spring guide in the slide pop out of where they are supposed to be or B) the safety lock refuses to move. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I have a feeling it has to do with placing the hammer. Placing it from the top, here is what I've been doing: I move the top of the sear back and then place edge of the hammer on the edge of it , put the safety lock in.. but for the hammer to go down completely I have to push the top of the sear forward, then I am unable to use the safety lock at all.


Update: Well, I finally got everything put back together. The hammer strut was the problem, had it reversed.