PDA

View Full Version : Whats the better plan? 22lr upper? or a 22lr M4?

9mm
April 21, 2011, 08:46 PM
So what's better to do? get a m4 then buy a 22lr upper? or get a M4 22lr.

:confused:

Not in the market for either, question is for a friend.

Technosavant
April 21, 2011, 09:38 PM
The .22LR complete rifles like the Colt/Umarex are just regular .22LR rifles built to look and feel like an AR. The only real differences between those and more traditional .22LR rifles with stock kits (like the Ruger SR-22 and Remington 597VTR) are very marginal; the look of the magazines and so on.

A .22LR upper uses an actual AR lower receiver.

As for which is better, I don't think it really matters. If you already have an AR, the .22LR top end is going to be cheaper than the .22LR AR clones and will be more suitable than the chamber insert conversion kits (the twist of an AR-15 barrel is usually faster than is best for most .22LR ammo... however, if you want to shoot the heavy .22LR like the Aguila SSS, a 1 in 9 twist AR barrel just about right...).

Probably, what I'd say:

If your friend has a traditional AR rifle like a 10/22, then something like the AR-ized variant, the SR-22, is worth a hard look.

If your friend has pretty much nothing, the clone .22 ARs like the Umarex or S&W might be a great option.

If your friend already has a regular AR and wants to shoot basic .22LR bricks, then a .22LR top end is the most economical choice (and can be built into a complete rifle with a lower, LPK, and stock at one's own convenience).

IowaYoungGun
April 21, 2011, 10:46 PM
I have the Colt/Umarex m4 ops.... It is nice and I always get comments on it at the range. However it is finicky within the ammo it likes! I would however, NOT go with a 22.lr upper... they will dirty the hell out of your lower!

Go to a sports retailer and put your hands on the both the Colt m4 and the S&W M&P22 and see which one fancys you more! The Colt is more metal and less plastic than the S&W; but the reviews for the S&W have been much better. Mostly, because of the S&W eating all ammo and the M4 well.. not.

Good luck, and keep us posted

Quentin2
April 21, 2011, 11:55 PM
I'd say get the S&W or Colt since he doesn't have an AR right now. If he's sure he's getting an AR then a 22 upper isn't a bad idea but with the dedicated 22 he'll have two rifles, not one lower with two uppers.

I looked at both the S&W and Colt and chose the Colt because it has the heft of a real M4 and looks so much like one. It's been a great reliable rifle too. It gobbles up Federal 36gr value pack from Walmart but hates Remington Golden Bullet. I've heard the S&W has the same preference.

rodent.22
April 24, 2011, 08:47 PM
I have the Colt/Umarex M4 OPS, almost 2 years old, no issues. None. When new, a little finicky with poor ammo. Smoothed out with use. I can't load magazines fast enough now LOL. I also have the S&W 15/22 pistol, same action as the 15/22 rifle. No issues with it either. Smoother out of the box than the Colt. Both a tossup as to reliability....:D