PDA

View Full Version : Drawing fixed blade fighting knife from scabbard

tuc22
June 23, 2000, 11:35 PM
First of all which do you prefer, strong side or cross draw? Second, how is your blade oriented?, i.e.,thumb to hilt or thumb on end/pommel. Describe first strike on target from draw since there are parallels to drawing a handgun like retention ready, low ready,high ready, and CQB point index/shoot. A knife is a formidable weapon and legal in the sense of open carry in a sheath, also a good option in summer when concealing full size HG is difficult.

Scott Evans
June 25, 2000, 07:24 PM
I prefer to carry the knife on the offside but I do not cross draw it. I see the knife as an aid in firearm retention or as a space maker should the situation be one that the aggressor is too close for me to effectively draw and fire the firearm. Last would be a close quarters threat that did not allow a shot via the proximity of non aggressors too near or behind the target. For all such situations I wear the blade on the Off side (my left) and draw it and use it with the off side hand. It is carried most times in an IWB Kydex sheath. I draw it using a reverse grip. This allows for a variety of immediate strikes inline with the draw stroke. Very fast economy of motion with lots of power.

The Knife for me is never a substitute for the firearm but rather an additional tool in a system of preparation.

------------------
“This is my rifle, there many like it but this one is mine …”

Young Buck
June 26, 2000, 04:55 PM
I say leave the knife at home, bring a gun to the fight :)

------------------
To ride, shoot straight, and speak the truth.

tuc22
June 27, 2000, 04:10 AM
Well, I'd say at conversational distances I can do as much if not more damage with a blade, and create a bigger wound channel with more loss of blood. Not that I want to leave my pistol at home but I do recognize that it's not with me 24/7. I like my options and a knife can go more places, period.

G50AE
June 27, 2000, 06:03 PM
The important thing to remember is, it is not how fast you draw your blade, but how fast you get your blade to make the fatal cut.