PDA

View Full Version : Mini 14 Dinging Cases

kd7sgm
April 20, 2011, 08:29 AM
I have a mini 14 tactical that puts a small ding in the same spot of every case it fires. It has a small scope on it but I can not find any marks on the scope where that may be a possibility. This thing also throws the casing 14 miles into the next county, the trajectory and velocity of the case and bullet are very similar, could this have something to do with it?

PTS1
April 20, 2011, 08:46 AM
My mini-14 does the same thing, though not with every case. I posted the same question a year ago and got many responses that this in normal for the mini and it does have to do with the fact it flings the brass into the next county. Nothing to worry about, unless of course you were wanting to reload the brass.

macsters
April 20, 2011, 10:39 AM
sounds like you have a normal mini.

im betting you also have trouble feeding from aftermarket hi-cap mags, and you cant get any better than 4 MOA accuracy.

its ok, these things are normal.

if you plan on reloading, sorry. buy a galil :D

kd7sgm
April 20, 2011, 10:58 AM
Actually it has never jammed for any reason or had a problem with magazines of any kind. It shoots 1.5 moa with factory ammo, just started reloading so I have not tried handloads as of yet but if it keeps dinging the cases I will not be able to.

rickyrick
April 20, 2011, 11:20 AM
I believe that the cocking lever hits some of the brass on the return ... mine always has brass markings on the handle

Rick Silver
April 20, 2011, 12:08 PM
I have a mini 14 and it dents up the brass too. I reload and it makes it a pain in the butt! Now I just reload for my bolt action .223.

kd7sgm
April 20, 2011, 12:19 PM
I guess this post is a moot point. Ruger returned my call this morning and told me that it was normal and unavoidable in their exact words. I find it hard to imagine that other semi auto rifles are made that do not do this, we control robotic equipment on mars, put a man on the moon and yet we are unable to make a mini 14 that does not dent casings.

jtmckinney
April 20, 2011, 12:36 PM
As far as reloading the brass, I would take a couple of pictures and ask the people on the reloading forum if the brass is safe to reload. A dent may not be a problem depending on the location on the brass. A dent caused by a sharp edge that leaves a nick in the brass would be most worrisome for me.

My son's Kel-Tec Sub 2000 40 SW dents the brass about a third of the way down from the mouth. We reload it and shoot it again without any problems. Of course this is a completey different gun and cartridge and probably operates at a lower pressure.

A Mini 14 is on my list of guns to get someday.

Good Luck!
James

tobnpr
April 20, 2011, 01:38 PM
Yep, mine dents the brass as well.
Ruger changed the extractor way back in the day on the Ranch model to sling the brass more sideways, but it still doesn't quite get the job done.

The dents always pull out on re-sizing and haven't been an issue for me.

I'm going to install a smaller gas bushing and see if that helps.

rickyrick
April 20, 2011, 04:08 PM
Throws the casing '14' miles into the next county, ....
So that's where it gets the name LOL
Photos would help

Bamashooter
April 20, 2011, 05:49 PM
Mine used to do that until I put 1911 style recoil buffers in it. One on the gas tube and one on the op rod. When I smoothed out and retorqued the gas block along with the buffers, my brass is no longer dinged up and it throws the brass about 4 feet to my right and slightly back. You can reload the dinged brass, when you resize it the ding will smooth out. My best group so far is 1.2'', slightly better than 4moa.

hps1
April 20, 2011, 06:29 PM
Never owned a mini 14 but since your rifle throws brass "into the next county" and, since the mini 14 is quite similar to the M1, I suspect it is the same "problem" as many M1 rifles have. The brass is struck by the hump on the op-rod as the bolt travels forward and dings brass as well as "batting" it eratically. If you shoot it enough, you should notice a brass colored discoloration on the op-rod where brass is striking it. The .308 caliber garands were worse about this than the 30-06, due to the shorter case being ejected sooner during cycle, I suspect. Never had a reloading problem from the resulting dings w/a garand.

On the garand, shortening the ejector spring (a little bit at a time and shooting it to check effect) will tame down eratic brass pattern.

Regards,
hps

REWTX
April 20, 2011, 07:43 PM
I installed a smaller gas bushing my 581 series mini and it does not dent the brass any longer. It shot pretty well before before I did this so the main reason for replacing the bushing was to calm the distance of the ejected casings. It shoots as good as my ARs and has never malfunctioned.

ostrobothnian
April 20, 2011, 08:11 PM
For the best info on the net for the mini look @ perfectunion.com. It's the best resource.