PDA

View Full Version : Slow-Twist AR-15 Barrel

MrFisher
April 16, 2011, 11:00 AM
Does anyone know of a source for slow twist (1:12 to 1:14) barrels for the AR-15? No HBAR's or Bulls, I'm interested in the pencil barrel profiles, maybe something like the original A1 profile. I have been absolutely unable to find ANYTHING under 1:9 twist anywhere.

My IDEAL combination would be 16", pencil profile, 1:14 twist. Does such a thing exist? :confused:

tominct
April 16, 2011, 11:05 AM
Why?

MrFisher
April 16, 2011, 11:09 AM
Why not? I want to start experimenting with high-velocity low-mass rounds in a light rifle.

tominct
April 16, 2011, 11:17 AM
Just curious, it seemed that you were 180* out of phase with what most people are going for.
Can't help you on the barrel, but good luck with the project, sounds interesting.

emcon5
April 16, 2011, 11:46 AM
Fulton Armory has a 16" M16A1 profile Disipator setup, but it is 1:12. Probably as close as you are going to find without going custom:

http://fulton-armory.com/barrelusgi16m16a1dissipatorcm1x12threadedmuzzelchromelined.aspx

You may also be able to find a used A1 barrel, and cut it down.

You could contact these guys and see what twists they offer.
http://www.ar15barrels.com/

Wyosmith
April 16, 2011, 12:00 PM
I could make one for you. Contouring a barrel for an AR is a straight forward machine job.
Contact me if you are truly interested.

Ridge_Runner_5
April 16, 2011, 06:40 PM
.22 conversions are supposed to work best in a 1:12 twist barrel

MrFisher
April 17, 2011, 09:28 PM
Hmmm... It looks like ar15barrels.com is not longer producing barrels, just performing modifications. Any other sources?

Art Eatman
April 18, 2011, 07:39 AM
Try CMMG. I have a lightweight 20" 1:14 from them on my truck gun. Sub-MOA.

MrFisher
April 18, 2011, 05:59 PM
Looks like CMMG is not longer making light profiles of any sort, and no slow-twist barrels either.

I just don't get the current obsession with fast-twist super-heavy "tactical" barrels in the AR (benchrest stuff excepted). It was designed as a super-light, handy rifle using an intermediate range cartridge. Light, fast rounds have more available energy at moderate ranges and are most effectively stabilized by the slower-twist barrels.

FordV8
April 18, 2011, 07:38 PM
White Oak Armament

Jimro
April 18, 2011, 08:48 PM
I just don't get the current obsession with fast-twist super-heavy "tactical" barrels in the AR (benchrest stuff excepted). It was designed as a super-light, handy rifle using an intermediate range cartridge. Light, fast rounds have more available energy at moderate ranges and are most effectively stabilized by the slower-twist barrels.

Cause those light fast bullets do just fine against prairie dogs and coyotes, even humans at medium distances. Not so well against the Taliban at 500 meters.

Unfortunately the faster twist of the 1:7 and the 77smk Mk262 ammo is about as far as the platform can go in terms of lethality, hence the "tactical" crowd using tighter twists.

But for a rifle designed for 250 meters and under firefights, it was a great system.

Jimro

MrFisher
April 19, 2011, 05:44 PM
Jimro-
That's a good point. I guess I was referring more to the civilian obsession with heavy tight-twist AR's. Probably most often a case of "I'll have whatever the SEALS are using" without regard to their actual use for the rifle. The only problem is it means that I can't easily get what I want :D .

White Oak is another dead end, their only slow-twist stuff is in the heavy varmint barrels.

Jimro
April 19, 2011, 08:49 PM
MrFisher,

It shouldn't be too hard to contact White Oak and have them turn down one of their heavy barrels for you, or have another gunsmith do it.

Or you can shop around gunbroker for a gently used A1 style barrel and have it cut back.

Or you can contact a gunsmith who will turn a blank to your specifications.

I sympathize with you in your quest to get exactly what you want and finding the market going 180 degrees from your direction.

Jimro