PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy CHEAP .308 & .223 Bullets ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Surplus?

G-DOG58
April 10, 2011, 04:51 PM
I'd like to reload a BUNCH of .223 and .308 ammo, but I'd like to find some bulk, surplus cheap stuff.
Any good sources out there?
THANKS!!!

mrbro
April 10, 2011, 04:58 PM
http://www.rvow.com/surplus%20bullets.htm

I haven't used them, but the do have surplus bullets.

jaguarxk120
April 10, 2011, 05:21 PM
Call them first, the prices listed are too good to be true.

Try HiTech or Bartlett Brothers for bullets.

chris in va
April 10, 2011, 06:09 PM
About that RVOW site, IIRC the owner died and his wife couldn't keep things going.

At the bottom of the site, there's this little tidbit of information.

Last modified: June 28, 2005

You can try Polygunbags or Wideners.

CrustyFN
April 10, 2011, 07:52 PM
RVO used to be great to buy from. I would stay away from them now.

Poodleshooter
April 11, 2011, 10:42 AM
Also try www.wideners.com

G-DOG58
April 12, 2011, 05:54 AM
THANKS for the help, 3,000 are shipping today!!!

CrustyFN
April 12, 2011, 04:57 PM
Check out http://www.xtremebullets.com/ and http://patsreloading.com/patsrel/prices.aspx.

capreppy
April 12, 2011, 07:23 PM
You may want to give RMR Bullets (http://www.shop.rmrbullets.com/) a looksy for M80 7.62 Pulled Bullets. You'd be giving business to one of the little guys and his pricing for 1k, 2k, & 3k are pretty good. He also does 5.56 Pulled Bullets.

Marco Califo
April 13, 2011, 03:16 AM
I purchased and received these from Wideners, but have not shot them yet:

MB2255F 500 MIL-SPEC 22CAL 55GR FMJBT M193 PROJECTILES $39.00

MB118 MIL-SPEC 30 CAL 175GR FMJBT SNIPER BULLET $95.00/500

Another option, for "pulled" bullets is http://www.gibrass.com (AKA Bartlett Reloaders) "Supplier of Government Surplus Reloading Components"

Dave R
April 13, 2011, 10:56 PM
I've bought both .308 and .223 bullets from www.hi-techammo.com.

Kevin Rohrer
April 14, 2011, 07:42 AM
I see the pulled .308 bullets from Rocky Mountain Bullets have pull marks on them. Does anyone think those marks will affect accuracy?

tobnpr
April 14, 2011, 06:19 PM
Not criticizing... just trying to wrap my head around the concept of cheap bullets...

Like cheap ammo, I've never "gotten" it. I reload because we need match-quality ammo for long range (hell, even 100 yard) target shooting at a reasonable price.
Every shot we (myself and my sons) take is with maximum accuracy in mind. That's why we go through the laborious effort of load development for every new rifle we buy.

So is it about just sending as much lead downrange as you can in a day as cheaply as possible? Again- I'm not being confrontational. I just don't understand the concept of shooting, without maximum accuracy being the goal- and the challenge. While I don't "enjoy" spending thirty bucks for a box of 100 SMK's, I see it as an essential component of accurate target shooting :confused:

SilentVectorX
April 14, 2011, 10:26 PM
Not criticizing... just trying to wrap my head around the concept of cheap bullets...

Like cheap ammo, I've never "gotten" it. I reload because we need match-quality ammo for long range (hell, even 100 yard) target shooting at a reasonable price.
Every shot we (myself and my sons) take is with maximum accuracy in mind. That's why we go through the laborious effort of load development for every new rifle we buy.

So is it about just sending as much lead downrange as you can in a day as cheaply as possible? Again- I'm not being confrontational. I just don't understand the concept of shooting, without maximum accuracy being the goal- and the challenge. While I don't "enjoy" spending thirty bucks for a box of 100 SMK's, I see it as an essential component of accurate target shooting

Personally, I'd want cheap bullets for Action shooting (USPSA / IPSC) Silhouettes and poppers don't require MOA precision under, say, 200 yards.

Although in .308, I'm more likely going to be shooting something like NRA High Power or CMP competition, where sub-MOA rifle performance is definitely important.

medalguy
April 14, 2011, 10:59 PM
Keep in mind some folks shoot not for accuracy. I have several machine guns, and 1 MOA is not at the top of my list of priorities. Cost sure is though. Accuracy through volume is the motto here.

Really, there are reasons why a shooter might NOT want maximum accuracy, other than machine guns. Casual shooting at short distances with the grandkids, shooting tin cans, and so forth.

Granted I shoot match ammo for competitive purposes, but honestly there are times I just like to go out and make noise. And kill watermelons. :D

Marco Califo
April 15, 2011, 02:39 PM
In short, no, I do not think pull marks affect accuracy significantly.
I bought 1000 30 cal. M80 147 gr FMJ years ago. Most had slightly visible pull marks. They tarnished some sitting in the garage for years, so I tumbled them. Now, the tarnish is gone, and I just scooped up a handful, and, could not see any pull marks at all. I have been shooting these, along with new Sierra 110 gr JHP's. Side by side, I say there is not a meaningful difference from one large hole to the other large hole. This was with a scope at 50 yds, sighting in the scope.

The only difference I noted was that when I increased the powder charge of my AA Data 2230-C powder closer to max, then, I lost some accuracy, with both bullets. I just checked the Sierra data, and, they note a 200 fps difference between their accuracy load and their hunting load for this weight class. Although they do not list my powder (which loads using AA 2460 data), their results and recommendations are consistent with my experience.

In conclusion, the variations in accuracy of collet pulled bullets is no more so than any of the other variables involved, like powder charge, and others. Furthermore, I use these same bullets when shooting at 400+ yards at metal plate targets, and they ding and ring just fine, when I hit them which is more often than not.

I wish that more "mainstream" bullets were available in military surplus style value packs of multiples of 500's to 1000's. That is where there is a difference. It is in price! You do not pay for the packaging of individual little boxes and labels.

G-DOG58
April 15, 2011, 07:06 PM
GREAT question, '' why cheap bullets ''?
As the one feller said, sometimes you don't need sub MOA accuracy, you just enjoy smacking the steel plates at 200 or 300 yards, these will get it done!

I have a 15 year old son, he enjoys the AR, the M1A and the HK91, this makes it a little more affordable to let him get trigger happy. It's a miracle that a 15 year old will hang out with his grumpy old Dad these days........ So rather than telling him to back off the trigger, I buy cheap bullets and enjoy our time together......
BUT, I love my Bergers and my SMK's at 1,000 yards too!
Here's a little 200 yard group!
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z126/glennster_photos/P1030740.jpg

SilentVectorX
April 15, 2011, 07:38 PM
Have you checked Widener's, SurplusAmmo.com, and Scharch.com yet? The cheapest I've seen on bullets is $0.07ea and $0.17ea, for 223 and 308 respectively.

G-DOG58
April 16, 2011, 07:12 AM
I will next time, I just got 1K each of 223 & 308 from Hi-Tech.....
THANK YOU Gentlemen!!!

Woody3
April 16, 2011, 02:33 PM
THR has a member that uses the name: longdayjake. He sells pulled bullets for real good prices. Try thus link: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=7214387
WOODY

Keep your head low and your powder dry.

chris in va
April 16, 2011, 09:51 PM
So is it about just sending as much lead downrange as you can in a day as cheaply as possible?

Yes. Some of us shoot more than just paper hung from a wire.

Try plinking sometime. You might like it.

WhiskeyTango
April 16, 2011, 09:58 PM
Try Denver Bullets. I am not sure exactly what their prices are for the smaller caliber stuff, but I get all my .50 BMG from them and have known them for years, they won't steer you wrong.

Denver Bullets Inc.
1600 West 13th Avenue :: Denver, CO 80204 :: (303) 893-3146
www.denverbullets.com