View Full Version : Browning trap barrels

April 3, 2011, 10:26 PM
Just today I joined a league for Trapshooting, i had never shot at a moving clay till todays practice. The three warm up shots (my first three ever I hit 1 out of the three) Then we did a practice round and I shot 12 out of 25. I am a big outdoorsman and shoot quite often but just never at clays. I turkey hunt as well. My question is that I have 2 shotguns that I could use, a mossberg 835 12ga with a custom turkey choke in it(I would have to buy a new choke) or what I used today a Browning 12ga over under. The Browning has a integrated choke and the markings are **S....which I assume means modified choke and SKEET. The Browning is part of a kit. The kit has a 12ga, 20ga, 28ga, and a .410 barrel in it. All of the barrels say SKEET except for the 12ga which says steel on it then by the extractors it says **S. So what do you guys recon i do?

April 4, 2011, 10:59 AM
The older brownings use an asterisk (*) or a set of them to determine the choke of the barrel. (one) * is Full, (Two) ** is Modified, and (three) *** is improved cylinder. This marking is usually located on the side of the barrel along the same line as the mfg's name.

'*' designates full choke (F).

'*-' designates improved modified choke (IM).

'**' designates modified choke (M).

'**-' designates improved cylinder choke (IC).

'**$' designates skeet (SK).

'***' designates cylinder bore (CYL).

When you say "Citori" the problem is today, there are about 30 different models of the "Citori". At the time your gun was built / these 4 barrel "Skeet" sets were one way that a Skeet shooter could compete with all 4 gagues / which you don't do in Trap. I would not suggest you modify the fixed chokes on the 4 barrel Skeet set / and you can tighten up your pattern a little by using different shells / but not really enough to be effective on Trap singles - where you kill the target at about 35 yds from where you stand ( 17 yds to the house / then the target goes downrange). Those Skeet barrels are probably giving you about a 60" pattern at 35 yds - so you have a lot of holes in the pattern big enough for a clay to fly thru. But if you center it - you'll have some success / but probably not any consistency.

For Trap - I would suggest you use the other gun and get a Modified choke for it.

April 4, 2011, 12:24 PM
I recommend you use that Browning set on the skeet field - that's a nice set.....

Use whatever fits the best - a tighter choke than skeet can help, but a lesson or three on form, stance, moving the gun, etc. will be more of an aid than just sticking a tighter choke into a gun that may not fit you properly.

April 5, 2011, 03:35 PM
try both and stick to the one you break more clays with