PDA

View Full Version : Arminius Revolver

willr
April 2, 2011, 03:35 PM
What is known about Arminius revolvers? I know they were made in Germany by a manufacturer whose name begins with W. I believe the outfit also made match quality rifles. Info would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Willr

lee n. field
April 2, 2011, 07:20 PM
Weihrauch (http://www.weihrauch-sport.de/englisch/e_startseite/e_index.htm), I think.

RJay
April 2, 2011, 07:42 PM
Herman Weirauch, 1948 to date Mellrichstade, Germany Prior to WWII the firm made bicycles, during the war they made machine guns. After the war until 1961 they made airguns, 1961 they produced their first cartridge revolver. The name Ariminius has been used by Weihrauch since 1948. Prior to 1945 the name was used by Pickett and Albert Kind on very inexpensive guns. Ariminius was a pagan chieftain who gathered the tribes together to ambush a Roman Legion { and killed to the last man }. He is a folk hero in Germany. The Weirauch guns were decent guns for the money, they were able to under sell American makers because at the time the German Mark was under valued. This made German goods cheaper to sell in the U.S. { things have changed :) }. Weirauch made a number of revolvers and a few rifles, I have no information for them making high quality match rifles except airguns, I believe his air guns were used in international matches.

gyvel
April 2, 2011, 09:55 PM
The Weirauch firm is still very much alive and well and producing airguns. Tha Arminius revolver was made from diecast zamak and, as such, was not built to last.

Swede68
April 3, 2011, 04:13 AM
The H Weihrauch Arminius brand of revolvers were quite inexpensive indeed, with at least the .22lr guns frame made from "pot-metal".
That they weren´t made to last is a myth. These guns were (and still are) very common as club-guns in Sweden, due in part to the low price and in part to the very good accuracy. Most such club-guns were manufactured and bought in the 1960´s and 70´s and are still going strong. What is especcially telling regarding the myth that they don´t last is that club-guns (guns lent to clubmembers that have not yet aquired a permit) usually are fired a LOT, and not very well maintained. That so many guns are still in use today in this very role should tell you something about their longevity and (opposite to what the build material and pricetag would suggest) build quality.

They are ugly though, and look as cheap as they were!;)

As far as I know, they are still being made. I don´t know if the pricetag is any different though. But quite honestly, if looking for a match target revolver in .22lr, one could easily do a lot worse for a lot more money than an Arminius!

Anders Olsson

gyvel
April 3, 2011, 05:06 AM
Here's a little story for you:

When I was working in Miami, Florida in the 80s, an elderly woman brought in an Arminius revolver in .38 special. The front man called me from my workbench to look at it. It was incredibly corroded with exfoliation. He then proceeded to tap the barrel on the counter top (which was carpeted), whereupon the frame came apart in several pieces. Can you imagine what would have happened if the poor old woman had been in a situation where she had to use it??

That's just one of many instances where pot metal guns were brought into the shop in various states of corrosion (including one Raven that was corroded shut with a live round in the chamber), cracked, and otherwise fubar condition.

You can defend Arminius', Hi-Points, and any other pot metal guns all you want, but I saw first hand what can and does happen to pot metal, and know enough to never own one.

Hawg Haggen
April 3, 2011, 06:00 AM
Well if you keep it clean it wont corrode. I had an Arminius Warrior till it got stolen. It was a great shooter.

Swede68
April 3, 2011, 07:47 AM
Pot Metal certainly isn´t a good material for guns in general. It can be an acceptable material for the right purposes. I do not consider self-defense one of those purposes under any circumstances, because a good self-defense weapon should pack the greatest amount of punch possible for its size, which meens better materials should be used. So far I think we are in perfect agreement gyvel...

But to me, the story you bring up tells me nothing other than that pot-metal corrodes under the right (wrong) circumstances. An all steel gun may not have disintegrated under the same circumstances, but it could very well have been frozen shut from corrosion and totally useless. Guns need at least a minimum of cleaning and oiling (even if never used) and service (if used). Guns are not maintenance free...

Anyway, I can give you countless examples of 35+ year old Arminius .22lr revolvers that function flawlessly despite only the barest neccessity of service and cleaning and pretty extensive use on the range with all sorts of .22lr ammo ranging from hi-velocity rounds to subsonic pistol rounds. But I am talking about guns for target practice. And I am talking about .22lr guns. I would have to be pretty desperate to carry a pot-metal gun for self-defense and I wouldn´t buy a pot-metal gun in any calibre with more energy than a .22lr. But that´s just me.

Anders Olsson

roaddog28
April 3, 2011, 09:38 AM
I had a 38 special 4 inch over 30 years ago. Very cheap revolver and not made well. I bought it new at a pawn shop. I never did fire the revolver. I later sold it. I would not buy one.
Regards,
Howard

big al hunter
April 3, 2011, 12:31 PM
I had an arminius when I was young and ignorant to the way of the gun. I sold it after a few years of fun and hunting use. Mine was a 44 mag. Very accurate but not well crafted. I once used it to win a bet, I had 1 shot to hit a can at 200 yards. It performed as well as I did and I got a free lunch!
But accuracy is not the only thing to look for in any firearm. I am much happier with my Ruger Redhawk and Super Redhawk. They are built to last and are just as accurate as the Arminius was, and easier on the hands. The Arminius was not very comfortable to shoot with heavy hunting loads. I will not be making that mistake again. Save your money and buy a Ruger or Smith and Wesson. (I know some of the S&W guys will cringe to hear the two names in the same sentence but I like both)

lee n. field
April 3, 2011, 12:37 PM
Ariminius was a pagan chieftain who gathered the tribes together to ambush a Roman Legion { and killed to the last man }.

The Battle of the Teutoburg Forest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Teutoburg_Forest), a bit over two thousand years ago.

jhco50
April 5, 2011, 12:01 AM
Yes, pot metal is the poor mans plastic..........:rolleyes:

Aguila Blanca
April 5, 2011, 06:36 AM
So you're telling us that guns firing .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum are made of pot metal? I don't think that's likely.

Six_Rounds
April 5, 2011, 12:51 PM
There certainly have been many RG, Arminus, and other firearms made to fire .357, .44 magnum, and .45 Colt, which were made from Zamak alloy. Its not a form of wrought iron, which is what "pot metal" actually is, but it is what people think of when they think of "pot metal" used in guns.

These guns don't blow up because the barrel lining and cylinders are made from the appropriate type of steels and they contain the pressures properly.

tln1313
April 7, 2011, 07:58 PM
I'm new to the forum, but thought I'd weigh in. I have been looking for info. on this revolver and registered when I saw some recent activity here. When my grandfather passed in 1995 I inherited his Arminius .22 revolver. As a kid (1970's early 80's) I remember my grandfather bringing this along when we went fishing. As I recall, it always worked fine when we shot it way back then.

Since his death in 1995 I have only fired it a few times and it has been perfect. I own several Smiths, Rugers, Colts, and a Dan Wesson, and although I've learned this is (was) an inexpensive piece, I have to say that it doesn't seem like 'junk'. It locks up tight, is more than accurate enough, timing has been fine, and overall has not had a hiccup. I'm a little reluctant to fire it too much, as I don't know if I'm just lucky, or if they are/were decent handguns. I'll be watching for more feedback and get some pics/serial number up soon for more experts to comment on. Unfortunately, I lost the cheesy decal. Would be great to find another one to get it looking stock again...

RJay
April 7, 2011, 09:31 PM
The reason these guns were inexpensive was not because they were junk guns ( unlike the RG-10:) ), but because of the currency exchange at the time. When these guns were made the mark was under valued at was about 4 to the dollar. A few years later the mark was " Floated or allowed to find its own value on the market, the value went to about .7 to the dollar. The same guns made to day would cost over 4 times as much to make today ( In Germany ) and they could not under sell the domestic makers.

shurshot
April 7, 2011, 09:34 PM
If I recall correctly, Arminius made a .22 revolver sold by Herter's back in the 60's, a "Guide model". :confused:

RJay
April 7, 2011, 10:48 PM
It's been a long time but wasn't the Guide Model made by EM-GE ?

t_baggins
April 7, 2011, 11:01 PM
I have an Arminius .38 snub. Its as accurate as any snub Ive fired. Functions flawlessly but has most of the finish rubbed off the frame. Its ugly as sin but works every time. I wouldn't pay more than $200 for one though.