PDA

View Full Version : New Shooter, never shot a pistol, looking for good training class

erichardy
April 2, 2011, 08:11 AM
I am a new pistol shooter, 50 yo, have shot rifles and shotguns, but never a pistol. I am looking for an affordable pistol training class to get a good safe start to shooting. I live in Greenwood, Indiana so it would be nice if it were somewhere close and available on the weekend (Saturday). Thanks for your help!!

Billy Shears
April 2, 2011, 08:21 AM
Don't know about your area, but where I live most gun stores or outdoor sporting goods stores have weekend classes of one form or another. Also, call around to indoor and outdoor shooting ranges. The range where I work offers familiarization courses every other Friday, but I'm nowhere near Indiana. Certainly though, the Sycamore Valley Gun Club near Bloomington would have something available for you. They have a great facility too.

www.svgc.org/index.shtml

Good luck!

Naby
April 2, 2011, 11:11 AM
My wife an I took the NRA Basic Pistol Class. I thought it was a good class, although it is the only one I have taken outside of military training. I had been through pistol training several times in the military but it was more of a familarization class than a formal class. My wife had never touched a gun. It was a good refresher for me and I learned some things I didn't know. My wife went from being very uncomfortable around guns to comfortable and even fairly confident after one day at the range. It will be a little basic for somebody with experience with other gun types but I think you will learn a lot. You should be able to look up classes in your zip code on the NRA website.

Buzzcook
April 2, 2011, 11:46 AM
I just googled Greenwood, Indiana rifle range and got three hits near you.
The closest has lessons.
http://www.customcop.com/

Drop by, put some holes in paper and talk to the staff to see if you like them.

Mello2u
April 2, 2011, 12:21 PM
http://www.nrainstructors.org/searchcourse.aspx
The above link is to a web page where you can search for a NRA course near you.
The course fee can vary as each instructor sets the fee for the course they teach. I looked in the Indianapolis area and saw fees from $130 to $200 for the Basic Pistol Shooting Course.

A partial description of the Basic Pistol Shooting Course:
This course is at least 8-hours long and includes classroom and range time learning to shoot revolvers and semi-automatic pistols. Students learn NRA’s rules for safe gun handling; pistol parts and operation; ammunition; shooting fundamentals; range rules; shooting from the bench rest position, and two handed standing positions; cleaning the pistol; and continued opportunities for skill development.

Glenn Bartley
April 2, 2011, 11:31 PM
I strongly recommend an NRA Basic Pistol Class. There are NRA qualified instructors pretty much available all over the US.

All the best,
Glenn B

stickhauler
April 3, 2011, 02:59 AM
I don't know about all states, but the NRA's Basic Pistol Course is Ohio's class required for a concealed carry permit. A new shooter would get a lot more out of it than an experienced shooter, but for myself, I found I did learn some from going through it for my CCW.

Steve Fogleman
April 12, 2011, 04:26 PM
Louis Awerbuck gives classes once a year in August near Lebanon, IN where you can learn with law enfocement.

Go to http://yfainc.com/schedule.html and see what is available this year. This is a great instructor and good courses.