PDA

View Full Version : Unboxing my new beauty (CMP Garand)

thesheepdog
March 31, 2011, 06:26 PM
I picked up my CMP Garand today and I couldn't be happier. It looks like a brand new rifle and it's only a service grade H&R

thesheepdog
March 31, 2011, 06:29 PM
More pictures. I get to blame and thank Kraigwy for urging and encouraging me to get one. :)

thesheepdog
March 31, 2011, 06:30 PM
More pics.

thesheepdog
March 31, 2011, 06:33 PM
More pictures

kraigwy
March 31, 2011, 06:34 PM
You think it looks good now, wait until you start shooting.

You'll find out its like having a trophy wife that cooks.

thesheepdog
March 31, 2011, 06:54 PM
Kraigwy,

My muzzle gauged a '1' and the throat is a '2'.
I got a steal didn't I?

Navy joe
March 31, 2011, 06:56 PM
Yes, Winner! Nice gun, go shoot it.

BombthePeasants
March 31, 2011, 07:03 PM
looks like the birch stock to me. Or, it could be the light. Congratulations on the new pow-pow, perhaps I'll be seeing another Garand at the ranges here in the Metroplex...

kraigwy
March 31, 2011, 07:03 PM
You did real good, but there's not much junk coming out of CMP, what's better then their products is their service.

thesheepdog
March 31, 2011, 08:04 PM
Bombthepeasants,

What part of DFW are you in?

Kraigwy,
Thanks again for making me get one. I don't regret my purchase at all! Instead I merely couldn't have gotten a better looking rifle.

Singlesix1954
March 31, 2011, 10:01 PM
That would sure look good with my Trapdoor, Krag, Krag carbine, and 1903 !
I think I better order one. Crongrats it's nice!

Tim R
April 1, 2011, 02:27 AM
Congrats on a fine M-1. Now go out and find a John C. Garand match. You will find these are a HOOT!

chris in va
April 1, 2011, 11:57 AM
I got lucky with my CMP Field grade. Dropped the bore gage in every one they had, found a rifle that measured 1.5 at the muzzle. The counter guy looked at it and said, "Hmm, that should have been in the service rack".:cool:

Wood is in bad shape though, but the mechanicals are great. I've put hundreds through mine since last May.

thesheepdog
April 1, 2011, 01:05 PM
Nice there chris!! :)

Mine came with a brand spanking new stock! :cool:

essohbe
April 1, 2011, 01:16 PM
Very nice. :)

stu925
April 1, 2011, 06:54 PM
That's a very nice looking rifle. I've got the paperwork all filled out and sitting on my desk for one. Now all I need are the funds for it. A Garand will definitely be my next service rifle. Glad to see service grade rifles are that nice, from the description on the web and in the catalog I would have expected a beater.

Stu

greentick
April 2, 2011, 01:54 PM
Similar with my service grade I got a few years ago, shockingly excellent condition, albeit caked in packing grease.

Wag
April 2, 2011, 04:17 PM
I want one in the worst possible way!

Still scraping together my pennies for one!

--Wag--

Mals9
April 2, 2011, 09:56 PM
I got the same condition '44 SA last year with same erosion numbers.
What year is yours?

Mals

thesheepdog
April 4, 2011, 08:13 AM
Mals9,

I am not sure yet on what year mine was manufactured.

thesheepdog
April 4, 2011, 10:32 AM
I shot my Garand this weekend. It's definitely a 1.5-2 MOA shooter with Federal's 150gr Garand ammo.

Mr Dish
April 4, 2011, 12:33 PM
Wait just a cotton-pickin-minute...back up the bus...further...keep going...just alittle bit more...

A trophy wife that cooks????? Say it isn't so? I thought you could only have one or the other. I chose the Trophy and do the cookin myself.

MAN...screwed again!

armsmaster270
April 4, 2011, 05:23 PM
It's a real beauty have fun with it. I need a new one.

Ozzieman
April 4, 2011, 06:49 PM
Ok thesheepdog, you couldn’t just show us photos of your new CMP grand,,, NO!!!!
You have to flaunt it by showing us as you open the box. Man you are just cruel.
I was happy with my one and only Grand that I paid a lot more than you did and did it over 20 years ago and it’s not much nicer looking than yours. Barrel is excellent and all parts match.
But now I have to go out and get my first from CMP. M1’s are like a drug addiction and one that’s hard to kick.
I would say something nice about your acquiring your CMP Grand,, but I don’t have time right now I have to go to the CMP web site.

Ozzieman
April 4, 2011, 06:57 PM
You can shoot commercial 30-06 out of your Grand with one of these.
It also allows you to shoot light hand loads and function perfectly.
Man I like the wood on yours,,, thanks for the photos!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=777146

sir_n0thing
April 5, 2011, 08:00 AM
I wish my local club would get with the program, I'd loved to snag one of those!

Sent via Tapatalk ~Android~

thesheepdog
April 5, 2011, 08:25 AM
Ozzieman,

I figured since it's one of those sacred moments I have been waiting for, I would just drag out the details of me unboxing the whole thing. It's a good thing I didn't record an HD video of me unboxing it, an uploading it on youtube I think you would probably cry over how pretty it is. :D

About the adjustable gas plug: I have been considering getting one of those. Right now, as long as CMP has ammo, I should be ok. I also need some dies for it, so I can load some soft points.

kraigwy
April 5, 2011, 08:46 AM
I wish my local club would get with the program, I'd loved to snag one of those!

If you can't find a CMP Club locally you can join the Garand Collectors Assn and that will cover the club requirements. Check out the CMP website for their Eligibility Requirements. Its set up where any American who can legally own a gun can purchase firearms from the CMP.

bravo2uniform
April 5, 2011, 08:59 AM

You can also try the RWVA (Revolutionary War Veterans Association); they, through the Appleseed Project, qualify as a CMP club.

sir_n0thing
April 5, 2011, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the tips, kraigwy and bravo2uniform. I'll look into them!

Sent via Tapatalk ~Android~

thesheepdog
April 5, 2011, 09:40 AM
You can also try the RWVA (Revolutionary War Veterans Association); they, through the Appleseed Project, qualify as a CMP club.

This is what I did, since I am an Instructor with RWVA.
You pay $20 and they'll send you a membership card good for a year.

4bfox
April 6, 2011, 07:01 AM
This is what I did, since I am an Instructor with RWVA.
You pay $20 and they'll send you a membership card good for a year.

What thesheepdog said, PLUS if you get the RWVA membership card, and bring it to a shoot (after paying the $70 pre-reg fee) they will affix a "Rifleman's Opportunity Card" sticker on it, giving you until the card expires to score Rifleman (Expert) on the AQT. WITHOUT paying the $70 fee every month, like I did (and probably all the other Appleseed folks on here). Of course you'd probably still have range fees. The card expires when the date is up on it, or you score Rifleman, whichever occurs first.

Brand new deal, and we've been waiting on it a LONG time!

BTW, I got my service grade Garand from CMP about 5 months ago, stock was dinged a bit from storage, but looked like it hadn't had 50 rounds through it...I'm EXTREMELY pleased with it! I DID refinish the stock and man, you should see the guys drool over it at my store...good advertising for Appleseed...

rickyrick
April 6, 2011, 07:07 AM
all i got to say is.......very cool.:cool:

EdInk
April 6, 2011, 09:07 AM
Good looking gun. (Next time please skip the pictures of the box.)

thesheepdog
April 6, 2011, 10:12 AM
Good looking gun.

Thanks, I think so too!

(Next time please skip the pictures of the box.)

Haha! But why? Makes the moments more dramatic; besides, it's okay to be jealous every now and then. ;)