PDA

View Full Version : Silver Bear and AR15

Wrath of Firepower
March 25, 2011, 11:58 PM
I just ordered 500 rds of Silver Bear 62gr HP and would like to find out from anyone if my DD AR15 will have any difficulty firing this ammo. Are there any Daniel Defense AR owners shooting this ammo?

Beholdaredhorse
March 26, 2011, 12:07 AM
I have put about a thousand rds through my AR with the very same ammunition, however not a DD AR. I never had a malfunction, misfire or hiccup.

Dave R
March 26, 2011, 12:18 AM
I can't remember--does Silver Bear have the green cases with lacquer on them, or the gray polymner cases? I've had some trouble with the green lacquered cases, but never with the gray polymer cases.

Beholdaredhorse
March 26, 2011, 12:35 AM
Yeah silver bear is the grey polymer coated cases...

Quentin2
March 26, 2011, 12:49 AM
No problem with Wolf/Tula/Herter's 55gr polymer case through my brand new DD. I did run a magazine of 62gr Herter's with no trouble but by far most of the rounds fired are 55gr. Absolutely no problems over two years in my ArmaLite but again most of that was 55gr.

I doubt you'll have any problems with 62gr/polymer coating in your DD.

m17s_guy
March 26, 2011, 02:03 AM
the problems i have encountered with the russian ammo like tula, wolf, or bear ammo, has been going from the steel cased russian ammo, to a good brass cased ammo. i have seen brass cases FTE, and stick in the chamber....

a good cleaning between the steel cased russian ammo and brass ammo will make up a lot of this discrepancy, but the cleaning is a PITA....

wnycollector
March 26, 2011, 03:35 AM
I have put a few thousand rounds of silver bear 62gr through my three AR's w/o incident. It works fine for range ammo and is reasonably accurate (for russian ammo that is!). Your DD AR should be fine.

lmccrock
March 26, 2011, 07:38 AM
Silver Bear? Zinc plated, shiny metal. No polymer, no lacquer. Wolf and Tula use a polymer coating, Brown Bear is lacquer coated.

Any residue would be from powder, which can happen because the steel does not seal the chamber as well and powder residue blows back around the case. True for any steel case.

Clean the chamber, no problem.

Lee

trigger45
March 27, 2011, 06:32 AM
got a nickel sized group at 100 awhole tin no problems.

kx592
March 27, 2011, 08:21 AM
Its the "best" steel casing I could find, since its not coated with anything "sticky". Powerful enough for paper, accurate enough to hit targets, and cheap enough to buy lots of..Ill continue to use it.

Sturmgewehre
March 27, 2011, 09:00 AM
There's a lot of myths out there about steel cased ammo. I try to address many of them in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR3fi1wCSmM

To the OP. You will only know if your rifle likes steel cased ammo if you run some through it. Most quality rifles wont have any issue with it.

karlb
March 28, 2011, 06:54 AM
Silver bear 62gr JHP is one of my favorite cheap loads. Runs fine in all of mine.

GaryM&P
March 28, 2011, 07:14 AM
From personal experience, steel cased ammo may run fine in one AR but not another. You just have to try it and see.

SVO
March 28, 2011, 12:14 PM
Isn't it a bit late to ask the question if you have already ordered the ammo???

Double Naught Spy
March 28, 2011, 02:00 PM
Nice vid, Sturmgewehre.